Motoring Discussion > MoT Question Legal Questions
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 4

MoT Question - Badwolf
Hello all,

The MoT is up on my Megane at the end of July and I'm planning to put it in early on the 15th of July. If, Heaven forbid, it fails, can I drive it on the existing MoT or would the failure cancel out the remainder of MoT that's still in force?

Thanks in advance folks.
 MoT Question - RattleandSmoke
Yes but if you get stopped by the police or you have an accident it might cause problems because it is not road worthy. Also if it fails on a dangerious point (e.g they mark it as dangerious to drive) you could be a lot of trouble in the event of an accident.

Remember the MOT information is all on a database now and if they fail it ons say a tyre down to 1mm and wraped brake discs you would have no defence if you got caught driving it in that state.

Technicaly the old MOT will still be valid though :).

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 11:27
 MoT Question - Badwolf
Cheers Ratts, thought so. I'm not too confident on a pass so I'll have to speak to SWMBO nicely and get her car lined up just in case.
 MoT Question - Number_Cruncher
A valid MOT certificate remains valid even if a later MOT test is failed.

The condition of the car is *always* the responsibility of the driver, regardless of MOT status.

The failed MOT can demonstrate that the driver knows that the faults exist - not that ignorance is a defence.

So, you can not be "done" for not having a valid MOT certificate, but, you can be "done" for driving a vehicle which is unsafe.

What do you think the car will fail on?
 MoT Question - Badwolf
>> What do you think the car will fail on?

Nothing specific, I just tend to develop a natural air of pessimism around MoT time...
Latest Forum Posts