Motoring Discussion > Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Old Navy
In the Netherlands, apparently not a rare occurrence in the USA.

tinyurl.com/ksg7nza
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - MD
I have never seen the fun in this sort of 'entertainment'.
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Armel Coussine
Those things are very silly, supporting programme for banger racing or the like. Motor sport for gum-chewing morons.

But they are based on so-called swamp buggies which do have a function in their native territory. Dune buggies and desert racers too have big tyres (but not that big!) and long travel suspension for good reasons.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 28 Sep 14 at 19:08
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Dutchie
Three people dead one child .Five people seriously injured.

Wasted lives for a non event.
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Alastairw
Not really the fault of the vehicle though. More for the event organisers, I would have thought.
>> Not really the fault of the vehicle though. More for the event organisers, I would have thought.

Perhaps. But the driver in that thing is going to be flung about a lot when it bounces over piles of old cars. What kind of safety belt could guarantee that your feet were really on the pedals when they needed to be? I bet the snorting-monster v8s needed to power the things sometimes have sticky throttles too. Looks well dodgy to me even if they usually get away with it.

One assumes the event is insured.
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Slidingpillar
One assumes the event is insured.

I think the word is hopes
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29406130
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - J Bonington Jagworth
Those 'safety barriers' don't really look up to the task. Very sad for all concerned.
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Zero
Stupid place to run an event like that, but it has to be said and is plastered over every race track in the UK, Motor Sport is dangerous for competitors and crowd.
Yes, motor racing or sport in general is dangerous. But a lot of the drama is in the noise, and people like to get close for that as well as to see all the action in closeup.

You feel very safe at a hillclimb venue like Shelsley Walsh, where you can sit on high banks, some with seats, looking down on the bends and corners. But some of those hillclimb specials are incredibly savage machines that might conceivably fling themselves up at the audience if it goes really pear-shaped for a competitive driver.

Remember Pierre Levegh's crash into the crowd at Le Mans? That was nasty.
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Shiny
The trouble is the barriers are useless, and because they are there, the crowd can't 'flow' around the incoming truck.
 Monster truck into crowd - fatalities. - Dutchie
Brother took me once to a motorcross event in Assen.You don't realise how close these powerfull bikes are.Total different experience to what you see on the television.
Latest Forum Posts