Motoring Discussion > Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 10

Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - Falkirk Bairn
www.whatcar.com/car-news/all-new-2015-ford-mondeo-full-story/1313699

It will not caause the world to change but it looks like an improvement on the outgoing model.

That said if you are a private buyer 25%+ off the old ones might just sway you against full price for the new one.
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - Crankcase
Interesting - thanks FB.

From the hybrid point of view I've stuck your link and a discussion starter on my Toyota hybrid forum, where it might get some traction from like minded people, (but here, perhaps less so on that particular model)

Vignale buys you the "enhanced level of service" that appears to be what Toyota give me by default anyway, so not sure I'd be wanting to pay for that.

Cheap as chips though, and worth a definite consider.

Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - mikeyb
Vignale looks like a poor attempt to drive the brand upmarket. Not really offering anything a lot of other brands haven't already offered for some years. I suspect it will fail as I cant see your average Ford dealership being able to deliver on the promised service level.

I would say it looks OK, but nothing more than that - wouldn't call it a head turner, and don't really expect to see that many on the roads.

I imagine the decision to only build the hybrid as a saloon will also be a mistake. How many saloons do they sell today, let alone with a niche drivetrain
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - WillDeBeest
Perhaps the extra length of the saloon mitigates the loss of boot space to the batteries.

Have to say I hate the current Ford family front. If they didn't know it looked like an Aston Martin rip-off when they first drew it, they certainly do now and they should just stop it; it's silly and naff.

I say 'current' rather than 'new' because I don't expect it to last any longer than previous Ford 'design directions' - the mid-1990s oval-everything, or the New Edge that came in with the first Focus, for example. Part of what makes Audis and BMWs, say, desirable, is consistency of design through the generations, so a 15-year-old car doesn't look vastly different from today's. The constant changes that the likes of Ford, Vauxhall and Peugeot go through send a subliminal message that they don't much care whether the car they're selling will even be around in 15 years' time.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 30 Sep 14 at 19:19
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - Zero
>> Perhaps the extra length of the saloon mitigates the loss of boot space to the
>> batteries.

I would suspect that the batteries prevent having a proper Estate flat floor.

>> Part of what makes Audis and BMWs, say,
>> desirable, is consistency of design through the generations, so a 15-year-old car doesn't look vastly
>> different from today's.

COUGH COUGH Errr COUGH - - - Bangle - - -
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - WillDeBeest
Bangle really only messed about with the sides of his designs; front and back ends still look pretty classically BMW. And he certainly didn't monkey with the 'kidney' grille (which, incidentally, looks nothing like any kidneys I've ever seen.)

Even the ugliest BMW, the M Coupé - not a Bangle design, I believe - still looks like one of the family. But put today's Fiesta next to the 1995 fish-mouth model and see if you can find more than the badge in common.
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - Falkirk Bairn
>>I imagine the decision to only build the hybrid as a saloon will also be a mistake. How many >>saloons do they sell today, let alone with a niche drivetrain

UK is hatchbacks & estates - many markets are saloons - in some Euro markets there are 4 x door saloons rather than our 5 x door market. Taxis on the continent are often saloons and a hybrid 4 x door larger saloon might appeal
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - legacylad
The Yellow Cab Co in SF are running plenty of Ford Fusion Hybrids, labelled the Mondeo in the UK.
I like the front grille ....
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - Auntie Lockbrakes
The facelift is too late in coming, IMHO. And who really buys cars in this segment/size any more anyway?

A new Cortina/Sierra would have been much bigger news 20-30 years ago than the Mondeo is today.

I fear the Mondeo will drift away like its Ford Australia dinosaur counterpart, the Falcon.
 Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - Crankcase
Now VW have announced the Passat hybrid for 2015.

Plug in and ICE makes for 31 miles on electric only if you wish, 600 miles range overall, 141 mpg, 45gm CO2 and I have no idea of the price.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/passat/88746/volkswagen-passat-gte-plug-in-hybrid-shown-in-paris

Ford - New Mondeo - Eco-boost + Hybrid - mikeyb
So the Mondeo hybrid will offer co2 of 99 g/km and can only come as a saloon but the new passat will be sub 45 and available as saloon or an estate

I know where my money would go
Latest Forum Posts