Motoring Discussion > Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 19

Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Robin O'Reliant
She went into a council car park in Fishguard yesterday am and came back to find the dreaded death notice under the wiper. She could have sworn that the sign said parking charges only applied from 1st April to 30th September, but checking two nearby signs found they ran till 31st October. On a hunch she had a peruse at the sign by the entrance she used - one of three or four - and found that indeed she hadn't imagined it, the sign had obviously been missed when the regulations changed and it still said 30 September.

Quick dash home to get a camera and a photo of the offending sign has been duly dispatched with a covering letter. I have since heard of one other person who got done in a similar fashion but didn't think to check all the signs. We now await the outcome with interest.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Bromptonaut
That's worth a trip to the adjudicator, should the Council be rash enough not to withdraw it.
>> That's worth a trip to the adjudicator, should the Council be rash enough not to
>> withdraw it.
>>
I had the Pembrokeshire Herald in mind.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - madf
>> >> That's worth a trip to the adjudicator, should the Council be rash enough not
>> to
>> >> withdraw it.
>> >>
>> I had the Pembrokeshire Herald in mind.
>>

Pembrokeshire is obviously an exciting place to live in :-)
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Roger.
>> >> That's worth a trip to the adjudicator, should the Council be rash enough not
>> to
>> >> withdraw it.
>> >>
>>

or "The Western Telegraph" !
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Harleyman
I do hope she ensured that there was some kind of indisputable dating on the photo; perhaps showing front page of today's paper etc.
>> I do hope she ensured that there was some kind of indisputable dating on the
>> photo; perhaps showing front page of today's paper etc.
>>

Shouldn't be any need as the sign is a permanent metal job on poles sunk into the concrete. I doubt if Pembs CC would send a crew out with whatever machinery needed to replace it and deny all knowledge to grab an illegal parking fine.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Slidingpillar
Whilst one could always alter it, the properties of a JPG file do include the date a photo was taken.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Manatee
If Mrs O'R's camera is like my wife's then the date will be years behind.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - BobbyG
And the money you save from the parking ticket, put it towards a mobile phone for her that has a camera !!
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Duncan
>>
>>

You're not Welsh are you?
If he's in South Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro in Welsh) he's actually in "Little England Beyond Wales".
One of the loveliest counties in the UK.
North Pembs, a place packed with English settlers.

As for getting Mrs O'R a phone with a camera, she is fiercely resisting every technological advance since text messaging and will only get one when she's not left with any choice. We have a desktop and a laptop in the house and she doesn't know how to turn either one on and is happy to be like that.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Crankcase

>> As for getting Mrs O'R a phone with a camera, she is fiercely resisting every
>> technological advance since text messaging and will only get one when she's not left with
>> any choice. We have a desktop and a laptop in the house and she doesn't
>> know how to turn either one on and is happy to be like that.
>>

Some people are built that way. My Mrs has my old iPhone, but it's never ever charged or turned on unless I charge it and put it in her bag. She then never uses it, nor answers it should you call, and the battery dies at the end of the day and stays dead for weeks unless I do it again.

Just has no interest in it, or any mobile, (or indeed what it can do) whatsoever. I just charge it sometimes to be able to see on the map on my phone where it is, on the odd occasions I'm meeting her somewhere and want to know where she is.

This is purely observational, not a criticism - we all tick differently.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - commerdriver
>> This is purely observational, not a criticism - we all tick differently.
>>
indeed, Miss C who is 23 has no interest in a phone hat can do anything other than text & voice calls. However she has had a couple of occasions in the last month when someone from school has emailed her over the weekend expecting her to be ready for something on Monday, expecting that she would get the email on her phone. The way the 21st century works I guess.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Enderman
Hats off to her!
Most women I know / observe these days seem to be pretty-much surgically-attached to a mobile phone.
:-(
Preseli, then - strange place, not sure if it's fully Welsh, or somewhat English, in outlook!
More Welsh spoken there than in South Pembs, though.
Pembrokeshire is a bit of an anomaly, bordered by Carmarthenshire & Cardiganshire, both very Welsh speaking - indeed, at Carmarthen Hospital the phones are (or were) answered in Welsh as a matter of course, while in Haverfordwest's Withybush Hospital they are (or were) answered in English as a matter of course.
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 8 Oct 14 at 12:08
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Harleyman
My first experience of West Wales was in Narberth in the early 1990's; went there to manage a parcels company. As you well know, the border for Welsh/English speaking tends to be (or was then) the Landsker Line.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsker_Line

As a general rule, Welsh is spoken more commonly on the north side of the A40. In recent years, with the revival of both Welsh being taught in schools and the movement of population, it's much less defined.

One thing I find fascinating is that many Welsh speakers seem to have an inbuilt radar which tells them whether you understand Welsh or not. The common complaint from English visitors, that locals switch to Welsh as soon as an Englishman enters the room, is largely a myth, perpetuated by the fact that spoken Welsh down here is a totally different animal to that of the north, to the extent that they can at times find each other mutually incomprehensible much as a Geordie and a rural Devonian would. This was borne out by my Welsh-speaking neighbour, who had some dealings with a "Gog" for some JCB parts and told me later that he had to speak to him in English as he couldn't understand half of what he was saying in Welsh!

Spoken Welsh round here is often a patios comprising about 70% Welsh and 30% English, which makes it much easier for a "Sais" to follow, and to my occasional delight can at times catch them out.
 Mrs O'Reliant Got a Parking Ticket - Cliff Pope

>>
>> One thing I find fascinating is that many Welsh speakers seem to have an inbuilt
>> radar which tells them whether you understand Welsh or not.

I've noticed that - it's amazing. In a busy shop they can unerringly address each customer in the correct language, and carry on several conversations simultaneously, in the two languages.

To be honest though I'm a bit bored with the Welsh/English debates. After living here 30 years (near Newcastle Emlyn) I'd say the almost universal attitude is one of live and let live.
Welsh serves a real function for those who have it ingrained in their way of life, English works well for the others, and as the common language for anything technical or commercial.

Welsh has an indelibly established niche, but I sometimes feel that forcing its use in translation in things like fire regulations or inventing equivalent abbreviations for NHS, MOT, SORN, HMRC etc is as likely to hinder as help its long-term survival.
Trying to have a phone conversation in English with someone from the mid Wales valleys is an experience you wouldn't want too often. I've heard some hard to understand regional accents in my time but nothing comes close to that incomprehensible gibberish.

I think they communicate in grunts.
Latest Forum Posts