Motoring Discussion > One way to put job in jeapordy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 52

One way to put job in jeapordy - BobbyG
www.youtube.com/watch?v=suHUtaWV_Ek

As usual, a snapshot of what may have been more to it but I don't suppose this employee / agency driver will be doing this for much longer??

One way to put job in jeapordy - mikeyb
You would like to think not, but as you say, possibly more to it
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Harleyman
Poor form. Lorry driver clearly in the wrong, did not indicate.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Old Navy
That is the southern aproach to the Forth Road Bridge. From the point where the lorry pulled to the right it is obvious and well signed that the right lane ends a few hundred yards further on. He was moving right to intimidate the car driver. He may have been provoked earlier, there are slip junctions behind them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 18:06
 One way to put job in jeapordy - John Boy
Two things spring to mind here:

Who decides that comments should be disabled for a YouTube video?

Can anyone translate the in-car dialogue?
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Fullchat
Lorry driver clearly in the wrong. But the car driver having used their horn as intended then continued to sound it as some kind of retribution. It wasn't necessary and perhaps provocative. Lorry driver shouldn't have bit though.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Slidingpillar
Got to be more to it. Carrs Flour Mill is a pretty big local employer and I rather doubt somebody with that apparent attitude would last long.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - bathtub tom
It would seem the lorry driver was an agency employee and he's lost his job.

I see no evidence of the outside lane ending and even if it did
1. The lorry driver didn't indicate
2. The lorry driver has no right to enforce what he sees as morality
3. I understand the current, official, thinking is that you should continue to the lane closure and then 'zip' merge. I believe Brompt had something to say on this many moons ago.
Again, this shows the merit of having a dashcam, even a cheap £50 like I have would pick this up clearly.
Having said that, that Edinburgh website is a bit OTT, shop a driver on a mobile?? But only if he is in a works van so he can be identified?
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Old Navy

>> I see no evidence of the outside lane ending and even if it did

I use that road several times a week, the online maps are hopelessly out of date if that is where your information comes from. They even show the toll booths which were removed years ago.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Zero
The lorry driver is clearly a Moron. Would anyone with a single brain cell run across the path of the car to assault the driver during a developing road rage incident. In London he wouldn't have made it past the right headlamp before becoming a bonnet ornament.

"Nah officer camera don't work" "Yeah he ran right out in front of me"

One way to put job in jeapordy - sooty123
seems an odd chap, nothing really in that video to get that sort of reaction. he tried to squeeze in and then went mental over it. Really all that jumping about for something and nothing.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - spamcan61
>> seems an odd chap, nothing really in that video to get that sort of reaction.
>> he tried to squeeze in and then went mental over it. Really all that jumping
>> about for something and nothing.
>>

There are some odd people about; a while back Spamette Minor and I received a torrent of abuse in Sainsbury's car park from some moron who got really really really upset with me because I didn't take the exit from a roundabout he assumed I was going to take.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - ....
Has anyone actually taken a look at the website?

Is this what the UK has become? The stasi had wet dreams about this kind of surveillance.

I have a camera in my car, it is used by me to use should I be involved in an incident. I would never dream of sitting down every night and pouring over the data captured that day and posting online every misdemeanor captured. Christ almighty.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - No FM2R
>>Has anyone actually taken a look at the website?

I have now you've mentioned it.

You wouldn't want them as neighbours, would you? Fanatical curtain twitchers to be sure. Just how much sanctimonious self-righteousness can you get on one web page? More than I previously thought, it seems.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Runfer D'Hills
A good example of why it's almost always a bad idea to use the horn as a rebuke after an event rather than as a warning prior to the emergence of one.

All it achieves is further rattling an already rattled person. Rebuking someone for their stupidity doesn't make them less stupid and often temporarily heightens the condition.

I'm fairly certain, no I'm absolutely certain I've never used the horn in any of my cars other than to check that they work in nigh on 40 years of high mileage driving.

I see dumb things happening on the roads every day but you can almost always mitigate for them and drive around the idiots. Most "situations" require at least two participants and "fault" is rarely entirely one sided even if it is proportionately mainly the result of the actions of one instigating event. If you are watching for situations emerging you can almost always avoid them or at least manage their effects down to a non-serious level.

Getting combative with a bad driver is never useful however tempting it may be to do so through some feeling of (thank you Mark) self-righteousness.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 18 Oct 14 at 11:13
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Cliff Pope
>> I've never used the horn in any of
>> my cars other than to check that they work in nigh on 40 years of
>> high mileage driving.
>>
>>

I had a good example quite recently of the relative merits of using horn v headlights flash in a situation where a "warning of presence" was genuinely sensible.

Driving along a rural A - road, I saw a car edging forward from a turning ahead on my left.
I guessed he was considering nipping out in front, so I eased off the accelerator, and gave a longish flash to warn him I was coming.
He took the flash to mean encouragement, and pulled straight out in front. I slithered to a halt in time.

On reflexion, a blast of the horn would have been unambiguous.
I'd have let him out.

;-)
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Bill Payer
>> I'd have let him out.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Fraught with danger on a rural A road.

I reacted to a headlamp flash once that turned out to be the approaching Jag's auto HID lamps coming on, which they do with a "pop" of brightness. No where near a collission, but the Jag driver looked a bit surprised.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - henry k
>> I reacted to a headlamp flash once that turned out to be the approaching Jag's
>> auto HID lamps coming on, which they do with a "pop" of brightness.
>>
I never use the auto lights setting on my X type. I have seen too many of the light up when passing through darker areas like under bridges.
I know what has just occurred to me. My car has auto lights as indeed many do nowadays, but it also has auto-dipping headlights.

The latter bothers me more having read all this above in that when the car "decides" it's appropriate to do so it'll switch from dipped beam to high beam but if it then "saw" another vehicle it'd switch back to dipped again.

That could look like a headlamp flash but one I wouldn't know I'd given...

Think I'll turn that facility off.
>> I'd have let him out.
>>

It was a main road in open country, I was doing about 55-60. He didn't need letting out, he could have waited as there was no one behind me. I had to pull up pretty sharpish not to hit him.
Surely you don't stop at minor turnings on a fast main road?
>> >> I'd have let him out.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> It was a main road in open country, I was doing about 55-60. He didn't
>> need letting out, he could have waited as there was no one behind me. I
>> had to pull up pretty sharpish not to hit him.
>> Surely you don't stop at minor turnings on a fast main road?

Surely you don't flash your headlights, which as you well know has become a defeacto "after you" signal. At the very least its the most ambiguous "warning" in use. Not surprised you nearly had an accident.

>>
>> Surely you don't flash your headlights, which as you well know has become a defeacto
>> "after you" signal. At the very least its the most ambiguous "warning" in use. Not
>> surprised you nearly had an accident.
>>

That's exactly what I was saying. Despite what the HC says, that headlight flashing is a warning of presence only. I was wrong to follow the HC advice, and nearly had an accident as a result.
But I needed to do something to warn the the other driver I was there, and a toot or blast on the horn would, with hindsight, have been better.

The alternative would either be to give way at all minor turnings, surely stupid and negating the concept of a main road having priority, or else to storm past regardless and take the consequences.

What do others do to warn someone who shows signs of pulling straight across one's bows?

>> What do others do to warn someone who shows signs of pulling straight across one's
>> bows?

Horn.
No of course not, what I mean is that if someone stupidly or indeed just rudely pushed out like that I'd more than likely just slow down and let them on the basis that they might keep on coming anyway and cause me more of a problem than just relinquishing my right of way.

I find assuming everyone else on the road is brain dead, drunk, blind or mad and are more to be pitied than scolded is the line of least resistance.

;-)

One way to put job in jeapordy - Ted

Treat everyone else as a learner. Humans are erratic.
The headlight flash is not part of my armoury. I don't flash people, I let them make their own decision while I watch carefully.

I just don't react to others flashing me. I often get a flash from an oncoming car when waiting to turn right into our road. I ignore it and wait..........did he look in his n/s mirror and see the TdF cyclist or kid on a scooter coming up his inside ? I didn't 'cos he was blocking my view.

They probably think I'm a right nuppet...but so what, we won't meet again !
>> what I mean is that if someone stupidly or indeed just
>> rudely pushed out like that I'd more than likely just slow down and let them
>> on the basis that they might keep on coming anyway and cause me more of
>> a problem than just relinquishing my right of way.
>>

I agree entirely if merely slowing down a bit is all it takes.
But what do you do if the alternatives to a warning are are an emergency stop or just praying?
 One way to put job in jeapordy - WillDeBeest
But what do you do if the alternatives to a warning are are an emergency stop or just praying?

But you don't know that the warning will have any effect, so don't you have to do the full emergency procedure anyway?
>> >>Has anyone actually taken a look at the website?
>>
>> I have now you've mentioned it.

What a dreadful website, clearly the home of every whinger and whiner in town
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Armel Coussine
What website are you all talking about? I dearly love a good sanctimonious whinge. Makes me feel superior.
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Manatee
www.edinburghsworstdrivers.com/
 One way to put job in jeapordy - Armel Coussine
Thanks Manatee. I was expecting sanctimonious, but that's more sort of mean-minded and spiteful, with a good dash of blatant lying - 'dangerous' illegal parking indeed!

Stupid anti-car site basically. Very very stupid. And pathetically ignorant.

There used to be someone on HJ who would have supported the site. Polo Girl. She was like that.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 18 Oct 14 at 18:15
>>There used to be someone on HJ who would have supported the site. Polo Girl. She was like that

My God AC do you carry a grudge???? Don't think PoloGirl posted in the last 3 or so years of HJ!! So that must be 5 years ago or something??

You need some therapy to get over that one??
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Avant
She wasn't like that at all. I never met her but spoke to her on the phone: she was charming, forthright but certainly not sanctimonious. She was a moderator for a time, but not for very long as I think she couldn't hide her irritation at people she thought unreasonable.

I miss her: both forums could do with more lady contributors.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 00:25
 One way to put job in jeopardy - rtj70
And in the grand scheme of things all this is irrelevant. I know of someone trekking in the Himalayas at the moment for example - I pray and hope he's safe!

Although an update on the crack in the wall at PG's flat would have been posted somewhere :-)
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Armel Coussine
Nothing like a grudge BobbyG. Just memory. PG was a bit like that, although as Avant says intelligent, reasonable and somehow personable. I did converse with her.

But she did have that side, it was her starting point and she sounded like that for a while.

'Therapy' indeed. Damn cheek.

Do any women post here? None that admit it, not regular posters anyway. I too wish there were more. But cars are so boring to reasonable human beings. I'm not optimistic.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 01:50
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Duncan
>> Do any women post here? None that admit it, not regular posters anyway. I too
>> wish there were more. But cars are so boring to reasonable human beings. I'm not
>> optimistic.
>>

I hope Pat doesn't read this!
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Pat
I don't know whether that's a compliment or what AC.......???

Off to check my gender now.

Pat

One way to put job in jeopardy - Manatee
Take it as a compliment Pat and hid It' s quite possible to know you are one, without putting you in a file labelled "woman". I couldn't think of one either as I read AC's post!
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Zero
you can't label Pat, she is unique!
 One way to put job in jeopardy - hjd
I post only rarely, but am definitely female.
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Dutchie
Lorry driver mad e mistake.Deliberately I don't know.

The car driver blowing his horn continually doesn't help why? Lorry driver P/off and smack.
The way I see it lorry driver made a mistake.Car driver blowing his horn continually.One blast would have been enough.

Lorry driver young fit bloke with a temper had enough and sees red.Both lorry and car driver silly billy's.>:)
sorry double post
 One way to put job in jeopardy - R.P.
Most truck drivers I see in my daily trundle in mine drive professionally and safely, Harelyman may be familiar with Mansell Davies from Pembrokeshire, these tankers transport thousands if not millions of litres of milk from South Wales dairies to north Wales ones (for some reason best known to themselves) - I might see a dozen or so of their trucks in a day's trundling on the A487/A470 - they are without exception immaculately driven - but I do get disproportionally wound up when I see something I witnessed a few weeks ago - there is a Porthmadog based frozen food suppliers Harlech Frozen Foods. I see their trucks regularly on this route as well. I was following one out of Port when the driver threw out the detritus of his lunch break out of the window. Totally anti-social - I tweeted my disgust to the company and received a re-assurance the driver would be spoken to (I provided the reg. number) - a couple of weeks later I saw one of their trucks parked up in a public car-park in Port and the driver did exactly the same thing ! If Harlech Frozen Foods google their name and find this I am more than happy to enter a dialogue with them,

PS
Harlech Frozen Foods your frozen chips are awful.
 One way to put job in jeopardy - sooty123
detritus

I like that word :-)
 One way to put job in jeopardy - John Boy
>> detritus
>>
>> I like that word :-)
>>
So do I. It reminds me of "verdigris".
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Robin O'Reliant
>> Most truck drivers I see in my daily trundle in mine drive professionally and safely,
>> Harelyman may be familiar with Mansell Davies from Pembrokeshire,

Their main depot is in a small village called Llanfyrnach, reachable by fairly narrow lanes. One evening a few years ago I came across one of their tipper trucks beached on the ice on a steep hill about a mile from base. He'd managed to bring the sliding lump to a stop in the middle of the road but couldn't get enough traction to reverse up and didn't dare attempt to go any further down the hill where it was covered in sheet ice. Myself and another driver both went rear over tip when we got out to see what was wrong and the trucker had to support himself on the side of the truck while he inched forwards to tell us he couldn't move.

It was a hell of a job to reverse the Mondy back to the top, sliding all over the place. I often wondered how long he was stuck there for.
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Harleyman
>> >> Harelyman may be familiar with Mansell Davies from Pembrokeshire,
>>

Indeed I am, very long established old-fashioned haulier. Probably Pembrokeshire's biggest employer outside of the refineries.

I've been in that situation myself going to a farm in the middle of winter and it's no fun. Getting in to the farm isn't normally a problem as you've got a load on the back, it's getting out again when you're empty. Dairy farms aren't usually so bad as they tend to keep the road cleared so that the collection tanker can get in and out; that can catch you out though, when I got stuck I'd already phoned the farmer to ensure that I could get in and was told by his missus that the milk tanker had been. Got onto the farm lane, got stuck and it required a big 4 wheel drive tractor and a JCB to pull me out; it transpired that the milk tanker had indeed called but that was two days ago! Goes without saying that the milk boys work opposite to us as they come out of the farm loaded.

I've never worked out the logic behind bulk milk distribution either. Friend of mine farms in Etchingham, Sussex, and all his milk goes direct to France. Yet we import UHT from them.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 20 Oct 14 at 05:07
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Ted

We have the lovely DeeW as well. Always sensible contributions when she comes here.

Need you more, Dee !
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Armel Coussine
I had forgotten Pat. She should take it as a compliment because it certainly isn't meant to be insulting.

Thank you for coming out hjd! I had forgotten Dee too.

I hope rtj's friend has survived the weather in the Himalayas.
 One way to put job in jeopardy - Pat
Don't worry AC, I do take it as a compliment, it's all I've ever strived for all my working life!

.....but honestly, you lot do have some funny idea at times;)

Thinking a woman has an affair with a bloke because of the car he drives *rolls eyes*

It has nothing to do with the car, more with whether he has a sexy bum or not.

Thinking leather clad bikers are having a mid life crisis...wrong, they had to give up an expensive and dangerous hobby to bring up their young families.

For the record, my pet hate is rubbish ( detritus!) being thrown from any vehicle window too and Harlech FF need to get their act together.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts