Motoring Discussion > MoT Question. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

MoT Question. - R.P.
Our second car (now) and dog transporter the Ka is coming up for its MoT in a month or so....I was wondering. I removed the back seat squab so that we had a flat load area. The belts are still in place. Do I need to replace the seat for the MoT ?
 MoT Question. - Fullchat
Educated guess:) Don't think so. Fitted seats have to be secure. Fitted seatbelts have to work and free from defects. But rear seats?? That's not helping is it?
 MoT Question. - Armel Coussine
That's my guess too. Flat load platform fine, provided rear seat belts are fitted if part of standard specification.
 MoT Question. - Zero
Seats If fitted need to be secure, if not there? not tested.

My guess.
 MoT Question. - Runfer D'Hills
My first thought was that you probably might have to put them back in, but then then it occurred to me that if one took a car with removable seats ( some of the older MPVs for example ) for an MOT without them in place would that prevent it from passing.

My wife used to have a Mk1 Mercedes A Class which had the facility of removing all seats except the driver's. Made a remarkably big L shaped loadspace.

But I don't know the answer to your question really. Sorry.
 MoT Question. - Old Navy
Extract from the MOT testers manual section 5.2.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_520.htm

Where a belt is fitted with no corresponding seat or if there is a buckle/stalk but no corresponding belt, it is NOT to be considered a seat belt for the purpose of this inspection.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 18:21
 MoT Question. - Armel Coussine

>> www.motuk.co.uk/manual_520.htm

Giving leeway to greedy jobsworthish MoT testers to make you come and pay twice, I bet.

Trust you to ferret out something like that ON. Have you no heart man?
 MoT Question. - rtj70
If I was in RP's position, I'd phone my friendly MOT place in the morning and ask the question. I'm sure refitting it won't take long either if you really want to be on the safe side.

Now if the answer is no seat = no check of belts.... if you had a dodgy seat belt then an easy way of passing an MOT is removing the seat (or seat squab).
 MoT Question. - Bill Payer
My reading of that is that it would be fine - they simply ignore the belt if there's no seat, similar to what they do if a child seat is fitted.
 MoT Question. - No FM2R
In my Galaxy, with its [awful] removable seats. They simply ignored the missing seats and the corresponding belts.
 MoT Question. - Fullchat
"....if you had a dodgy seat belt then an easy way of passing an MOT is removing the seat (or seat squab)."

Unless it was the driver's seat belt of course :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 22:25
 MoT Question. - bathtub tom
Years ago I had a car MOT'd with a pushbike in the back. I'd intended to cycle back from the garage, but it was piddling down, they took sympathy and gave me lift home.

The MOT stated something to the effect 'rear belts not tested due to baggage'. It passed.
 MoT Question. - Tigger
I never put the third row of seats into my Landcruiser at MOT time. It always passes just fine.
 MoT Question. - Cliff Pope
When I had additional fold-away seats in the boot of my Volvo the garage always unfolded them in order to check the seat belts. I suspected this was probably unneccessary, and their misunderstanding of the rules.
 MoT Question. - VxFan
When my mate was restoring his MG BGT, instead of taking it off the road and doing the job properly, he still was using it as his daily commute and welding, etc at the weekends.

Anyway, it was MOT time and the passenger seat wasn't bolted down, so he just took it out. Passed without any problems. A year later and he's still not finished restoring it. Took it for another MOT and the tester said "I remember this car from last year - there was no passenger seat". "Not one this year either mate" was my friends reply.
 MoT Question. - legacylad
In 2013 I took my 3 series into KwikFit one Sat am for a half price MOT. The rear seat was jammed solid with gardening eqpt but it passed ok. The only advisory being 'unable to check rear belts due to lack of access'.
Latest Forum Posts