Motoring Discussion > Why vintage cars were shaped like that? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 3

Why vintage cars were shaped like that? - movilogo
If we look most cars made between 1930-1960, we see that they had lots of curves! Most had separate mudguards over all 4 wheels. Headlamps were attached separately on body. Engine bay was tapered towards front.

Was this design not difficult to construct using old days technology?

I mean, is it not easier to manufacture mostly straight panels as in cars made from 1970s?
 Why vintage cars were shaped like that? - Zero
Actually, yes it was hard to make large straight panels. Most cars panels of that era used either crude presses or were hand beaten, niether of which suited largish straight panels.

Anyway, show me a modern car with a straight panel. Its all subtle curves and shapes.
 Why vintage cars were shaped like that? - hobby
Evolution and the gradual implementation of mass production and manufacturing techniques learned during the war together with changing tastes, I suspect...

Cars started as carts with engines (late 19th and early 20th C) and then they had coachbuilders who were prepared to build a hand built car with curves... then you started to get mass production in the 20s and the easiest way they found was a seperate chassis and bolt on body... During the war monocoque construction came in and this was gradually introduced in the 50s... tastes changed and we saw the intro of "all over" bodies rather than seperate wings...

With a body press I suspect that a straight 70s panel (wich on even the straightest car has some curves and bends) doesn't cost any more or less than a 60s (or current!) curved body panel...
 Why vintage cars were shaped like that? - Ted

I would suggest that the two most contributing features to body design have been the water pump and glass/plastic technology.

Before the war most poverty spec cars had thermosyphonic cooling, requiring a tall radiator. Some cars were fitted with crude pumps but the tall radiator was still needed. As pumps became more efficient and electric fans more common, a horizontal approach to radiators could be adopted, lowering the front of the car.
This had some drawbacks early on....radiators could more easily ' sludge ' up from the bottom if the coolant wasn't maintained properly....ISTR Rover SD1 s were prone to this.

Glass.......look at most 50s/60s cars and you will see a 7 inch round sealed beam in various guises. Sometimes twin 5 inch, but still round. Car fronts were designed to accomodate this 'cos that's all that was available cheaply.

Technology moved on into the 70s and we started getting square lights, still in glass before plastics were developed to the extent that we see today. Some cars are now fitted with wondrous, sculpted works of automotive art blending smoothly into the bodywork.
When you look at them you might think,'That's going to cost a bomb ' if one gets damaged.
In reality, they're much stronger than glass and don't break the bank too much if you need a new one !

With regard to early bodywork, some very complex compound curved were pressed out in the early days, particularly scuttles, which would be difficult to do nowadays.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts