Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 22

Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - TheManWithNoName
Damn and blast. Car's been making a funny noise so its gone into the local indy. He's just rung to tell me its the DMF!!!
I thought my car didnt have one but the mechanic checked a website and discovered it was an option offered by Peugeot. The car is a Jan 2001 diesel HDi 110.
I've been quoted £760 including a new clutch. I know the car's not worth that but its a good solid car with 120,000 miles so I'm tempted to pay it and keep the car.
Even the mech said these Pugs were good solid cars and nothing Peugeot has made since has come close. He says you can't go wrong with German brands.
Now need to decide - keep it or bin it for something else. Decisions, decisions...
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - ToMoCo
Sorry to hear that. That's a tough decision now if the car is otherwise good. Faced with the same, I think I'd take the opportunity to get something else. Old barges are just too cheap to throw nearly eight hundred quid on a single repair to a 13 year old car.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - RichardW
Post the last 8 digts of the VIN and I can check if DMF or not. Similarly aged Xantias used a solid flywheel, whereas C5 that was just coming in used a DMF. Failure of the crank pulley makes a similar noise, and is much cheaper....

Having relatively recently been round this exercise, you will be needing to spend £3k to get something half decent that hasn't been roundly abused and then dumped. If the 406 is otherwise good, I would probably repair (but then I would DIY) - see if you can get a 2nd hand solid flywheel as that will reduce cost somewhat.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - John Boy
Have you had your money's worth from the car?

If Yes, then spend some more on it.

If No, don't throw anymore, get rid.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - Zero
you'll get 200 quid for it max in that state.

if, as you say its all basically sound, get it fixed. At the very least you can flog it for more than the cost of the repair and scrap value.

Or keep it.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - ToMoCo
Fixed I'd say its worth 700 on a good day.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - RichardW
Actually, service box suggests solid flywheel only. However, the clutch on these (which is a pull job) has a habit of developing a rattle that could sound like a DMF. There are 2 rattles - one is bad, the other not so. Can't remember which is which though! It think if it rattles at idle then goes away with gentle clutch pedal pressure it's OK (thought to be input shaft bearing), if not then it might be the release bearing making a bid for freedom, which is not good, and needs changing (otherwise all sorts of slave cylinder mayhem can result!).
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - Bromptonaut
Any other major work on horizon - eg cambelt? Get your mechanic to look it over carefully for anything else that might need fixing soon.

Subject to clutch/DMF being only items due my suggestion would be to stick with it as you're otherwise happy.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - Manatee
If it's generally sound and you like it, keep it. Look at it this way- can you buy a better car for the cost of the repair, even if you add the disposal value?
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - WillDeBeest
I've been quoted £760 including a new clutch. I know the car's not worth that ...

...but is it worth that to you? If it's any consolation I had the same decision to make on my S60, then at eight years and 114,000 miles. I spent £1,600 including new rear brakes (the Volvo DMF / clutch combo is a tricky job) and it's given me another four years without a significant bill. £400 a year is a lot less than the depreciation on something more recent.

It's needed a few new bits these last couple of weeks, but even if we spend another £500 to keep it going another two years we'll get our money's worth. Unless you can afford to think very long-term and replace the (German?) Peugeot with nearly new, who's to say whatever else you get won't present you with a similar bill in a few months?
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - Runfer D'Hills
I'd be asking myself if I liked the car and wanted to keep it. Within reason I'd try to ignore the arithmetic. Unless you spend a whole heap more money on a replacement than the cost of repairing the current car you might just be buying someone else's problems.

Unfortunately, repairs to modern cars are expensive but almost nothing is as expensive as depreciation. If you had planned to keep the car for the foreseeable future prior to the problem I'd probably just get it fixed and keep it anyway without relating it to any resale value.

If though you were thinking of changing it soon anyway, then fair enough, cut and run.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - DP
Definitely a case of better the devil you know, I think. And I agree, the 406 is a very tough, reliable car normally.

When cars get to this age/value, you need to think of repair costs against the cost to replace the car, rather than the value of it. My wife's uncle ran a G registration Sierra very reliably until 2009 with this thinking.
Yep, it's the "Trigger's Broom" principle after the resale value has eroded.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - legacylad
An acquaintance of mine likes to run his cars for several years. Two in the past 30. His Pug 309 diesel eventually rotted away and his ' new' car is a P reg Audi 1.9 Tdi which he has owned for 15 years. The belt snapped on it two years ago, and he spent almost a grand getting it sorted. Since then it has had other problems...numerous oil leaks, and to be honest I would have sold it for spares or sent it to the scrappers. However, he becomes attached to his cars and prefers to keep repairing them, most of the work he does himself. In his case, better the devil you know.
Although he could easily afford a new A6 BiTurbo Tdi Avant.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - spamcan61
>> He says you can't go wrong with German brands.
>>

..apart from the recent Audis with trashed engines due to oil pump drive failure, or ditto the BMWs with cam chain failure... for example.

As a long term bangernomics driver I'd spend the money: I'd rather gamble on repair bills than face the certainty of depreciation.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - WillDeBeest
Still not sure how Peugeot qualifies as German - unless l'Uomo Anonimo's mechanic has a very long memory.
};---)
Thanks for all replies. The car owes us nothing as it was given to us by my wifes grandmother.
Apart from the usual consumables like tyres brakes and exhausts its never let us down. Its comfy, big, quiet and economical on a run. Has all round e/windows, e/seats/mirrors, climate control so its a good sound car.
Like many have said, paying out £760 is still cheaper than buying a car of £4-£5k with an unknown history and fancy dpf's etc, although if I did replace, I would probably choose petrol.

The sound the car makes is during starting and stopping the engine and I can also hear the noise when going over bumps at low speed and just after changing gear. The clutch pedal has a long travel but still pulls like a Deltic loco. Initially I thought it was an engine mount or subframe mount. It makes a sort of rubbery jig-jig noise - I guess these are the wretched springy bits on the DMF?

Will be having the 'conversation' tonight with the Domestic Finance Officer and see what where we go.
Brakes are good for another year I reckon and the front tyres should last into next year so nothing else needs doing to it.

RichardW - if I get a chance this evening I may try to get the VIN details, thanks.

Another factor is we're due to be going to North Wales for halfterm. I guess the DMF could last another day/month/year, who knows, but if it fails will it shred the gearbox or something else?
Re The german car bit - the parting words of the mechanic was that German cars are generally better than anything else so if I was to replace the Pug, I should consider BMW/Audi/Merc/VW.
My preferred choice would be an Octavia estate with the petrol TSi engine but not with a dual clutch thingy.

I'd be wary of using it for your holiday trip for now. While its still going you could drive it somewhere to trade it in ( if that's what you decide to do ) if you had to have it towed in you'd get much less for it.

If you've another car or access to one I'd take that.

As above though, in any event I'd get it fixed. Sounds like a decent car otherwise.

Unless of course you're ready for a change in which case we'll happily confuse you on that subject if you like !

( the final answer is always "Mondeo" by the way ) or 42...

;-)

Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - Alastairw
NB: most petrol Octavias have DMFs unfortunately.
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - DP
A chap I know bought a 110 GLX estate on eBay a couple of years ago for £300. It was clean and tidy, but in need of a clutch, a road spring , a thorough service, and a couple of other mechanical bits. A weekend and £300 in parts, and he ended up with a very presentable load lugger that is still giving reliable service today. Mileage is well into six figures. They are great cars, and still quite handsome as well I think.
Just got another quote. £989 from Peugeot main dealer.
The first quote sounds like a bargain!
 Peugeot 406 - Aarrgh DMF! - nice but dim
I'm facing the same situation with my much loved Mitsubishi Carisma.

I've had a good run of luck over the last two years (and 35k) with nothing needed on the two MOT's. Next year I'm faced with rear bushes, few front suspension parts, new tyres all round, new timing belt and clutch (though I'm going to delay that one until really bad).

Did think of new car but cant part with this one yet and to find a equally well specced/solid equal car with proven reliability means spending a few g's at least. I'm happy to spend half that over the next 2-3 years provided things go to plan.

Mind is very much in the 'mend and make do' camp now.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Wed 22 Oct 14 at 16:53
Latest Forum Posts