Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 7

Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only - bathtub tom
I'm doing a CV as a favour - never again, took ages to get the old one off and the circlip broke as I fitted the new.

I noticed the N/S had a reluctor ring and sensor, but not the O/S. There's no ABS light on the dash and unless they had miniature ABS pumps in 2002, there's no ABS pump.

So what's it for? I suggested speedo.
 Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only - Bellboy
yes speedo
 Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only - FotheringtonTomas
>> I'm doing a CV as a favour - never again, took ages to get the
>> old one off and the circlip broke as I fitted the new.

What was the problem, finding the circlip, getting it off, removing the driveshaft, or putting it back on?

>> I noticed the N/S had a reluctor ring and sensor, but not the O/S.

>> So what's it for? I suggested speedo.

Speedo? Part replaced with ABS version?

Oh arr I se BB's psot.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Thu 1 Jul 10 at 16:04
>>What was the problem, finding the circlip, getting it off, removing the driveshaft, or putting it back on?

The circlip's a square section, with the end tails at 90 degrees, and has to be opened to remove the CV. I just couldn't get a decent grip on it as circlip pliers had nothing to hold on to. I tried pulling the driveshaft out to tackle it on the bench, but it didn't want to come out. There's a tiny gap between the inner joint and (ally) transmission housing that I was reluctant to hammer a wedge in.

All the information I had indicated you 'pushed' the new CV onto the driveshaft and the taper opened the circlip. I had the circlip correctly placed, but it broke in two.

That's the second one I've had that happen to. I replaced a CV boot a while ago and the (round section) circlip punctured the boot after a short while and came out in two pieces.

Have you ever tried getting a solitary circlip?
 Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only - Bellboy
circlips are always fiddly BT i aborted mission a week back and fitted a sticky boot i had instead
another way to do the driveshaft is support it on an axle stand with a pair of mole grips clamped round the shaft to stop it pulling out of the gearbox and move a flat headed screwdriver round on the circlip to open it up then tap the cv joint with a hammer
 Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only - DP
I remember doing this job on my old mk2 Mondeo. Tap the joint from the shaft, it said. Tap? Belt so hard it emitted sparks would have been more accurate :-)
 Vauxhall Corsa C - Toothed ring and sensor on N/S front CV only - Number_Cruncher
I know it's not directly helpful, but when I worked in a Vauxhall garage, we did lots of these type of CV joint**, and I got myself a pair of circlip pliers with flattened ends which also had almost a knurled pattern on the faces to give some grip against the circlip.

** They were truly great for earning bonus, as, with the car already on the ramp with the wheels off, you can quite easily fit a new CV joint or boot adding only 10 minutes or so onto the time you're working on the car. The gaiters are much improved these days, and the job is less common than it used to be.
I tried that method too Bb. ;>(
Latest Forum Posts