Motoring Discussion > Aussie / NZ rules Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 5

Aussie / NZ rules - henry k
I have seen some of the Aussie / NZ traffic cops programmes.

I like some of their approaches to enforcement and learner drivers.

Recently saw.
Indian driver on holiday caught speeding way over the limit.
Driving license confiscated immediately and a 28 day ban ( and we will post it back to you)

Speeding lad banned for two hours so he could "cool off" after a girl friend problem.
Too angry to be driving.

No MoT. More relaxed. You can drive for a short distance but get it fixed in x days or else.
Mot on trailers etc.n

Can someone list the more interesting ones?
 Aussie / NZ rules - Zero
"faling to stop short"

Its automatically assumed you are guilty if you run into the back of someone else and penalised accordingly.
 Aussie / NZ rules - idle_chatterer
Well I live in Aus and I don't entirely agree....

In Victoria (at least) Police enforce speeding rigidly and seemingly little else. The driving style is semi-American, by that I mean that it (perhaps) developed in times when roads were less crowded ?

For instance.... overtaking on the left is not 'legal' but it is habitual, cars (often 'P platers' - more of that later) will change lanes on the freeway to under-take. Similarly people will not move left and lane-hog. It means that you are constantly checking your nearside 'blind spot' in order to 'move left' which (I contend) does not lead to more relaxed progress.

Then there's the 'tunnel vision', time and again you'll see a car move forward (say when oncoming traffic needs to pass a parked car) such that gridlock ensues. This lack of anticipation is almost universal, it happens at junctions too. Similarly there is an expectation that you'll be able to cut in when a lane ends and real surprise when the other drivers don't oblige..... tailgating is rife which is a worry as there's no 'MoT' (roadworthy) required. Cars don't rust, there are plenty of 20yo heaps on the road and bald tyres, malfunctioning lights and goodness knows what else are commonplace.

Then there's the P-platers, you can drive (supervised) at 16 on L plates, then at 18 you can take a test (written and practical) to get P-plates. Initially red for a year or two then green with restrictions depending on your age. Only certain cars are approved for P-platers, not your humble 1.2s though - a 3.0L 6 Cylinder is fine. I probably see the worst driving from P-platers although they have the most to lose e.g. a zero blood alcohol limit.

Did I mention U-turns ? School-run people will happily pull a U-turn across 4 lanes of traffic once they've dropped their precious cargo off (they'll pull up unexpectedly to do that too). Can't expect anyone to walk more than 10m (yds) to the school/restaurant/shop could we (see comment on 'anticipation') ?

In Victoria you are permitted 3kmh (less than 2mph) over the posted limit without exception although driving up the backside of someone at 100kmh appears to be 'OK'. This is seen as blatant fund raising by most of my Aussie friends.

So, a bit of a Pommie whinge here I guess, you do get used to it but I've had several Aussie friends comment on how polite UK drivers are. Upon reflection I don't think Aussie's are 'bad drivers', I think it stems from being a less crowded place (once).

Aussie / NZ rules - Runfer D'Hills
You might be on to something there IC, with the "previously less crowded" theory I mean.

I regularly drive all over the UK and fairly often in other European countries. There is an invisible line somewhere East to West just about Northampton and again just about Preston where in between those lines reside the rudest, stupidest most confrontational and uncooperative drivers in the UK.

The polar opposite applies oddly enough in London and Edinburgh where despite heavy traffic conditions on a more or less permanent basis it ebbs and flows with few bonehead initiated incidents.

Try emerging to turn right from a minor to a major road in the North of England and you'll sit there all day with no one giving you a break and all pretending they've not even seen you, do that in one of the capital cities and sooner or later, usually sooner actually, someone will help you out.

Try to change lanes here and it seems the primary objective is to prevent rather than assist that whereas flicking your indicator on in the city usually leads to a small albeit briefly available cooperation. Forcing the issue here leads to horns being sounded, lights being flashed and tempers lost as opposed to acceptance of the needs of others.

I thought at first it was selective perception on my part but you really can feel and see the difference once it has been brought to your attention.
 Aussie / NZ rules - Robin O'Reliant

>> The polar opposite applies oddly enough in London and Edinburgh where despite heavy traffic conditions on a more or less permanent basis it ebbs and flows with few bonehead initiated incidents.
>>
>>
Having recently been back in London for the first time in eleven years I was reminded about how good London drivers are. Like you say, they will do whatever it takes to let the traffic flow and if you find yourself in the wrong lane approaching a junction someone will always let you out.

And don't talk about emerging from side roads to turn right, I get enough of that here in Pembrokeshire. People will NOT leave junctions clear in traffic queues and if you catch their eye and roll yours to heaven while they sit blocking you they'll look at you as if you're mad. When I first moved here I was emerging onto a busy road and when the traffic from my right cleared I moved halfway across, as is normal practice in the Smoke. No one coming from the left would pause to let me out, all I got were incredulous looks and when vehicles started coming from the right again I was subjected to an orchestra of horns and headlamp flashes.
 Aussie / NZ rules - Dutchie
I have driven in London a few times soon get used to the way they do it.Don't mess about or hesitate get on with driving.It helps if you know where you are going which I often don't.>:)
Latest Forum Posts