Motoring Discussion > Not mats or flaps. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 10

Not mats or flaps. - Old Navy
This is prompted by a comment on another forum referring to a standard foot long bee sting aerial as a "dogem pole". A quick survey from my window gives four long, two stubby half length, and one Golf with a little two inch or so OE aerial.

As a youngster it was the longer the better, often with the tip clipped to the roof gutter.

Any preferences here or don't care as long as it works?
 Not mats or flaps. - sooty123

>> Any preferences here or don't care as long as it works?
>>

No not really, mines one built into the window, so no aerial poking out at all.
 Not mats or flaps. - Runfer D'Hills
Qashqai has a bee sting and the Merc has a sort of shark fin thing but I'm not sure if that's something to do with the sat nav.

Don't really mind either so long as they work. Can't see either of them from the driver's seat so it's tough to care about them.
 Not mats or flaps. - Zero
usually, the window mounted ones are not as good as a small dodgem pole tuned to the best compromise mounted in the centre of the roof. The physics of radio signals never change.
 Not mats or flaps. - Robin O'Reliant
I once had a tax disc holder with a built in ariel. ISTR it worked ok too.
 Not mats or flaps. - Old Navy
Who is going to admit to having one of these so that they can find their car in the ALDI or Waitrose car park?

www.aerialballs.com
 Not mats or flaps. - Alastairw
Bee sting on the Octavia doesn't seem as effective as the aerials on either my Focus or its predecessor 306. The 306 had quite a long aerial, and regularly picked up BBC Sheffield, which has never appeared in the Octavia, even with antenna diversity.
 Not mats or flaps. - Lygonos
FRV has beesting, Foz in NSR quarterlight window, Kizashi on rear window element.

Foz probably most reliable signal but it also has an aftermarket head unit (£100 Kenwood job because I wanted Bluetooth for the 'phone) so I don't know if that plays a part.
 Not mats or flaps. - Harleyman
>> Who is going to admit to having one of these so that they can find
>> their car in the ALDI or Waitrose car park?
>>

Don't have one of those, but we have a particularly distinctive "flying pig" air freshener in the i10 due to Mrs. HM's particular affinity for things porcine and cuddly; I should stress at this point that I tick neither of these boxes. It does make the car quite easy to find in a crowded car park.
 Not mats or flaps. - Duncan
>> Who is going to admit to having one of these so that they can find
>> their car in the ALDI or Waitrose car park?
>>
>>
>> www.aerialballs.com
>>

Why have the England flags got ENGLAND written across them? No other nation finds it necessary!

Is it because they are frequently carried by football supporters who aren't too blessed in the upstairs department?
 Not mats or flaps. - ....
WDB and myself are scratching our heads wondering what you are talking about.
Is this the slot that some people stick their shirt hangers into to dry washing if they are running late?
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 25 Oct 14 at 22:07
Latest Forum Posts