Motoring Discussion > Insurance renewal questions Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Insurance renewal questions - legacylad
Not wanting to flog a dead horse, but it's that time of year again. I will happily spend an hour one evening ( today actually) inputting my details on a few comparison sites, just in case I can get a much better deal. Invariably I cannot. But deep pockets and short arms syndrome. Anyways, I always say I am single, rather than divorced on one of the questions. I always consider myself single, not some pathetic divorced bloke, although I had half a house and half a business to prove it some time back.
Does anyone reckon it makes any difference one way or another? My current IAM insurer is quoting £155 fully comp for the 330. Same as last year. Sod's law I shall wake up one day next week and decide to sell it on a whim.
 Insurance renewal questions - Bromptonaut
Try it with a false name but ALL other details identical and see if it makes a difference. If it does and you're asked to pay more then queury it. Be vary careful though of anything that an insurer could treat as deliberately misleading.
 Insurance renewal questions - Harleyman
>> Try it with a false name but ALL other details identical and see if it
>> makes a difference. If it does and you're asked to pay more then queury it.
>> Be vary careful though of anything that an insurer could treat as deliberately misleading.
>>

By all means try that but I'd also suggest that you use a different computer as well.
 Insurance renewal questions - WillDeBeest
At that price I'm not sure it would be worth the time if you did. Last year I spent an hour on the phone to Aviva and my (two car) premium came down by a third, or £250. But £150 must be close enough to the minimum anyone could charge for bare bones cover to make getting a third off that unlikely. You might save 20 quid, but is that, spread over a year, worth a lost evening? Can't answer that for you but I think I'd just pay up and do something else.
 Insurance renewal questions - No FM2R
>Does anyone reckon it makes any difference one way or another?

It may. but not necessarily for a known reason.

If it is a fact that people who have a 3 year old car have more accidents than people who have either a 2 yr or 4 yr old car, then 3yr old cars will be more expensive. Just because the link is not known, or not understood, there is still a link and insurers will take into account.

Ok, not a good example, but you get the idea.

As for telling the truth, it is always better to do so. However, not doing so is not automatically bad, it just could be. The range of possibilities open to the insurer depend on the motivation in giving the wrong answer and the relevance of that factor to their acceptance and rating of the risk and how clearly they had asked the question.

Its difficult to imagine how that particular question could get you into anything more than a rating issue, and even then presumably minor. In fact, that particular one may be much more relevant to their market research than to their rating.
 Insurance renewal questions - Cliff Pope
Some factors have a peculiar kind of reverse impact on quotations:

Generally speaking a higher annual mileage increases risk, but only with groups who are otherwise assessed as risky. A "safe" driver doing a high mileage is judged as more experienced, therefore rated even safer.

A cost-conscious motorist looking for TPFT is often judged more a risk than someone wanting comprehensive cover.

A young person driving a big old car lacking modern safety features is judged a better risk than one in a modern low-rated hatchback.

The ultimate must be that someone who shops around and does a lot of dummy quotes is judged a higher risk, and I understand that insurers can detect multiple quote seekers.
 Insurance renewal questions - No FM2R
Conspiracy theories to one side and ignoring technical issues, why on earth would an insurer class someone as a higher risk if they ask for multiple quotes?
 Insurance renewal questions - Cliff Pope
>> Conspiracy theories to one side and ignoring technical issues, why on earth would an insurer
>> class someone as a higher risk if they ask for multiple quotes?
>>

If the sort of people who have more claims behind them tend to be keener to search for a better price, then the sort of people who search for a better price will be more likely to be a higher risk?
Latest Forum Posts