Motoring Discussion > Parts for my car can now be 3D printed anywhere Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 3

Parts for my car can now be 3D printed anywhere - henry k
Well some parts can.

The headlight adjusters for X type Jaguars are a poor design and there are loads of items on Jaguar forms how to sort this problem. ( the wholy plastic parts break )
Jaguar do not list spares so one is expected to pay hundreds of pounds for complete new headlamp assemblies. ( s/h parts may also be non functioning)
Alternatively buy the parts for £20+ from several suppliers and then a DIY job..

I have got a set of adjusters as an insurance.
Some of those available are plastic like the originals, some are metal and plastic .

How things advance!!!!

I have just received an auto email from one of the American forums

.....here are the FREE files to get your own headlamp adjusters 3D printed.

After a few hours of 3D modelling I have created 3D printable files
I have personally printed them out.....So far after 300km of driving they haven't broken.

I am impressed.

Parts for my car can now be 3D printed anywhere - RattleandSmoke
I assume you have a 3D printer then? Is something I want to get in the future.
 Parts for my car can now be 3D printed anywhere - Bill Payer
>> I have personally printed them out.....So far after 300km of driving they haven't broken.
>>
>> I am impressed.
>>

Hmmm...300km isn't very far. :)

If he means 300,000km then that seems too far since 3D printing became generally available.

Are these on Xenon lights so they cycle every start? If not, then I guess their lifetime depends on how often you adjust them - can't remember the last time I adjusted car lights, certainly not in the last 25 years.
 Parts for my car can now be 3D printed anywhere - henry k
Are these on Xenon lights so they cycle every start?
If not, then I guess their lifetime depends on how often you adjust them - can't remember the last time I adjusted car lights, certainly not in the last 25 years.

Very few Xenon lights fitted to UK types.
Very complex and expensive so not specified in the BIK market so normal lights fitted.
( the dip beams are very very poor so many folks swop them for Xenon kits.)
Failure rate of these standard parts is so often reported on forums.

Not sure about US spec cars.

Latest Forum Posts