Motoring Discussion > Car batteries when to replace? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 58

Car batteries when to replace? - RattleandSmoke
As my car is now over four years old (May 2010) and has frequent cranking, people on the FIAT forum are recommending that I change the battery. A Bosch silver is around £53 but when I checked my with my scope the voltages are all very healthy. However I know that batteries can still show a healthy voltage but loose their ampage. My dad had a battery that read 13v did not have enough power to crank the engine.

There is no signs at all that my battery is unhealthy, but we have been caught out with the bangers with batteries suddenly failing. Would you bother to change the battery after four years for the sake of it or just continue to for another year? I am inclined to leave as if the battery does fail it is not too much of a hassle to go out and buy a new one, I won't be stranded.

However I know on Pandas, old batteries do cause a lot of electrical problems, the most common one been PAS failure. It is always a joke now on the FIAT forum that if anybody has any issues with their car the first people ask is "how old is the battery".

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 30 Oct 14 at 11:08
 Car batteries when to replace? - WillDeBeest
Listen carefully, Rats, and you'll hear thirty pairs of eyes rolling. If it's starting the car it's fine. Listen to the car, not the forum Jeremiahs!

We've just replaced the Volvo's original after 12 years because it was getting reluctant to start. It had some new glow plugs too, which may actually have been more necessary since the battery still measured OK.
That is my impression too, the Fiesta used to eat batteries every couple of years but I suspect the alternator was probably over charging or something. Other than that most middle aged cars I know of are still happily running with their original batteries.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Gromit
Rats, leave well enough alone until you first notice the Panda becoming hesitant to start. Then change it promptly before it gets worn out (which takes a while though) and the car fails to start. Why scrap a perfectly serviceable battery unnecessarily?

I've never had a car leave me stranded due to a dicky battery unless its suffered from "oh yes, I must get around to that...sometime" syndrome.

Panda, Punto and Legacy all went 6-7 years on original batteries; each had long spells of short trips and being parked up for up to 3 weeks at a time (edit: including in the snow at East Midlands airport), so dont' sweat it!

Also edit: snap, Harleyman :-)
Last edited by: Gromit on Thu 30 Oct 14 at 12:19
 Car batteries when to replace? - Harleyman
I am inclined to leave as if the battery does fail it is not
>> too much of a hassle to go out and buy a new one, I won't
>> be stranded.
>>

You've answered your own question. If you lived out in the sticks or were dependent on your car for any reason be it work, getting to hospital or a disabled person who relies on the car for mobility, then it would be prudent to change the battery before it expires; it's preventative maintenance.

In your case, the likelihood is that the first thing you will know about it being on its way out is when you go to it after a few days of really cold weather and it struggles; it is very rare for them to give up completely at that point but it's common sense to then change it before it does. As you rightly say you have alternatives; you may as well get as much mileage as you can out of the old one.

Out of interest, our i10 is still on its original battery after over five years and much of its life does trips of less than two miles. If like us you also do a weekly or fortnightly run of about 20 miles (or say an hour's constant running) that should keep it adequately charged.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 30 Oct 14 at 12:14
I rarely do any long journeys, about 5-6 miles at the most, but with Manchester traffic these days it is common for the engine to be running for around 45 minutes at a time etc.

I do rely on my car for my job, but even without a car for a day I can manage. In the countryside it is a different matter, but with buses every 5 minutes and a great tram service on my door step I am never stranded.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Crankcase
On the flip side, one drawback of the hybrids I drive is the 12V battery expiring quite early.

It's apparently because as there is no starter motor - you're just booting a computer when you press the power button to start it - the 12V doesn't need to be anything beefy. So inevitably a wimpy little thing is specced and provided by the manufacturer, and after about three years or so it's not uncommon for the dreaded dashboard christmas tree lights/windows are really slow to move/door locks don't work games.

New battery from the dealer is a fixed £95-£110 inc fitting as well, so not that cheap in comparison to Rattle's option.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Runfer D'Hills
Just drive the flipping thing Rats, it'll be fine !

(Is there an echo in here?)

;-)
 Car batteries when to replace? - Fullchat
Harleyman is spot on. The first frosty snap we have will tell you what fettle the battery is in. If it cranks slow then it's on it's way. Of course that is assuming it does get regular long enough journeys to keep it suitably topped up.
 Car batteries when to replace? - RichardW
Don't want to worry Rattle unduly, but none of mine have gone like that recently... Almost always fine one day, and the dead the next. In fact had one go on a BX which was fine at 4pm, and pancake like at 6pm!! The one in the C4 Picasso started to show signs of being a bit down - but swapped it onto the Xantia and it cranked it fine. However, given that he's got a tiny 1litre low comp engine that will turn over with a light breeze I wouldn't be worrying about it!!
 Car batteries when to replace? - Harleyman
>> Don't want to worry Rattle unduly,

You just did! :-)
 Car batteries when to replace? - Mike H
>> Don't want to worry Rattle unduly, but none of mine have gone like that recently...
>> Almost always fine one day, and the dead the next.
>>
Exactly my experience with the last couple of batteries I've had to replace bar the latest, which was only this week. And it's a petrol, not a diesel, with good long runs every day. 5 years seems to be some sort of magic point.

This week's flatness was simply using an electric compressor to pump up the winter tyres, which admittedly needed 3-4 psi each. Seemed OK after I recharged it, but replaced it as a matter of course as there is no way it should have flattened so quickly.
 Car batteries when to replace? - CGNorwich

Yes take heed of that sound advice

What you need is a rolling program of parts replacements before they fail. Yes start with the the battery and move on to the exhaust system and then the tyres and clutch. Gearbox could go any time so best do that too. Better safe than sorry. Prevention is better that cure and all that .

p.s don't forget the plugs.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Armel Coussine
The consensus here seems to be that there's no point in replacing a battery until it shows real signs of impending failure, but that it's then more sensible to replace it before it fails to start the car. The sprightliness of a new battery is very cheering provided the starter and alternator are functioning properly. I agree with that having grappled squalidly and riskily with the failure of more car components than I can easily remember. Four-wheel drum brakes with disintegrating slave cylinder seals and rusted-up automatic adjusters and a master cylinder on its way out... how about that for a game of soldiers?

You're a lucky little so-and-so Sheikha (I mean no disrespect) and don't even know it.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Aretas
In over 50 years of motoring I have only had one catastrophic battery failure - i.e one moment it was working fine, but at the next stop absolutely nothing. Started with jump leads and didn't switch off until I arrived home.

Do you have access to a battery charger? If so, you just don't need to worry. The cold Jan/Feb weather will tell you if your battery is starting to get dodgy, and if so just charge it up overnight until you can find time to change it. (You will probably even find it will last through the cold weather and then be fine all through to autumn.)

My A4 will be 13 shortly and still has its original battery. Always lived outside, but it is not used every day. If not used for several days I check the voltage and if around 12.5v, gently (2A) charge it for a few hours. But I am retired and do have time to mess about like this.
>> But I am retired and do have time to mess about like this.

Yes, and you also date from an era when motoring called for more messing about than it does now. I do too, although I've given up messing. Surely it's less hassle, and not unduly extravagant, for the Sheikh to replace his battery a bit early? It's what I'd do these days.
 Car batteries when to replace? - bathtub tom
>> Surely it's less hassle, and not unduly extravagant, for the Sheikh to replace his battery a bit early? It's what I'd do these days.

You mean like those suspension bushes you know are knackered?
>> You mean like those suspension bushes you know are knackered?

Do as I say, not as I do, is something I often tell the nippers.
 Car batteries when to replace? - CGNorwich
" i.e one moment it was working fine, but at the next stop absolutely nothing. "

Was it a diesel? They tend not to give any notice of failure. The load is so high on the battery that they can either turn the the engine or not. No half way house.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Manatee
Boy's Panda 1.2 needed a battery at about 6 years. Total failure, without warning, but

- it was well below freezing and had been for days
- I suspect it was in a low state of charge, as he was driving about a mile to work at the time
- it had been parked outside from 9am- 6pm i.e. was stone cold.

Not a peep out of it, dead as a doornail, yet it had started the car in the morning.

I still wouldn't change the battery while it's OK. But if you can keep it charged that helps. Boy's might actually have frozen - they don't do that when they are charged up.
Parked on the street so can't charge it without removing the battery which is a faff. I will just keep an eye on how long the engine takes to turn over during the winter, the second it shows any sign of been hesitant I will replace it.

I am trying to balance out some of the bills too, it will need a cam belt next year but again it is a none interference design so I am not in too much of a rush.
 Car batteries when to replace? - sherlock47

>>>I am trying to balance out some of the bills too, it will need a cam belt next year but again it is a none interference design so I am not in too much of a rush.<<<

After 20k miles I really think a rolling program of parts relacement is being called for. Start with the door hinge pins (driver side) - presumably with a lot of short journeys you do actually get in and out of the car.
FWIW, ours was changed at twice the age and four times the mileage - there was no evidence from the service history or markings on the cam cover it had ever been done before - with no noticeable sign of wear to the belt (the mechanic sent back the old belt and followers when we collected the car).

Likewise, incidentally, for Subaru's belt which fell due at 60k/5 years, although they did remark that two of the pulleys were a bit sticky so they changed them to be cautious.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Alastairw
In over 25 years motoring across 6 cars I've only replaced one battery, when it was showing signs of struggle on cold days as above. Two years ago the garage told me to keep an eye on the current one because their battery testing machine said so. A year later the same machine said it was fine, and it still is.
 Car batteries when to replace? - henry k
In recent years my batteries have just died without warning and nothing to do with the temperature.

However a couple of weeks ago I got Christmas tree lights on the dash and it would not even think of trying to turn the engine.
I put a meter on things and the charger but it was obviously not going to recover.
I strongly suspect it was the original seven year old battery.
I thought the radio code I was given was correct but no I had to get the correct one from my main dealer.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Aretas
<< Was it a diesel? >>

No. It was a 2 litre petrol Primera.
Last edited by: Aretas on Thu 30 Oct 14 at 18:37
 Car batteries when to replace? - MD
I had to replace the original on the Ren 'O' Master last year after 11 years. Reason: Some Fool had charged a laptop via an inverter for perhaps 2-3 hours or so. Mighty angry was I and if I catch him........................
 Car batteries when to replace? - mikeyb
Replaced the OE battery on the Sharan earlier this year. Would have been about 8.5 years old.

Had been a little slower to turn over in the cold for a bit, then didn't drive it for a couple of weeks and that was that.

Unless its struggling on a cold day I would wait
 Car batteries when to replace? - Shiny
These days I wouldn't bother replacing 'just in case' - as lead prices are high, so are the battery prices.
What's more you can get help a lot easier with smartphones than we could years ago with just phone boxes and yellow pages. Just keep whatever tool you need to change the battery in the car toolkit.

When mine went flat at work last year, I just got on the Eurocarparts website, typed in reg.no. chose the one I wanted, buy one with click and collect and then got a taxi with Uber.app to the local branch, taxi waited came out with battery and back to work . I didn't have the tools, but was able to connect it in the boot with jump leads (my battery is located in boot) just left it connected up and drove hope and swapped them over when I got home.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Ted

I have a couple of options at home. I have an old but good battery on the bench on a smart charger and the caravan battery is always there, on the van's smart charger. It's a car battery....my leisure battery failed earlier in the year and I didn't see the need to buy another one as I only really use it for the mover. That's only a couple of starter motors really. It's got the Vitara battery on it atm as I left the lights on on a campsite in July and the car was dead in the morning. I just swapped the batteries over and charged the dead one on the caravan mains on site.

Never got round to swapping them back.

On the road, as part of the job, I carry a good quality booster pack on charge in the boot and a set of commercial quality jump leads.

Smug ? ........What me ?
 Car batteries when to replace? - sajid
my last jazz had the battery replaced at mot time the dealer said that it needs replacing as it failed the test, i didnt bother to change the battery until it didnt start so changed it at the dealer.

moral of the story if it fails replace.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Stuartli
Original batteries and exhaust systems always seem to last two or three times longer than replacements, even if they are the same brands. My last battery was almost nine years old from new before it needed replacing.

The only reason, as far as I'm aware, that a battery would cause an MOT problem, is if it was leaking or not properly secured.
 Car batteries when to replace? - madf
My Yaris d4d battery was a disgrace and only lasted 10 years.
Son's Yaris 1.0 was little better - 11 years.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Victorbox
>> My Yaris d4d battery was a disgrace and only lasted 10 years.
>> Son's Yaris 1.0 was little better - 11 years.

Same here - various Vauxhall batteries (AC Delco) owned and until the Zafira battery failed at 8 years old none had lasted less than 14 years!
maybe due to the fact that makers have to comply with emmision requirements and better fuel economy tend to make cars lighter, modern batteries are a lot lighter than the old batteries, and they tend to go quicker due to less lead and lighter cell structure
rattle dont forget to start replacing the entire car engine, wheels, trims electrics to prevent future breakdowns :)
 Car batteries when to replace? - Mapmaker
>> rattle dont forget to start replacing the entire car engine, wheels, trims electrics to prevent
>> future breakdowns :)

Be fair, we've just told him *not* to change his car on another thread.
 Car batteries when to replace? - bathtub tom
I think sajid's suggesting more of a piecemeal replacement car. Like Trigger's broom.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Mapmaker
>> I think sajid's suggesting more of a piecemeal replacement car. Like Trigger's broom.
>>

I know, I was just suggesting replacing *every* item all at once!
 Car batteries when to replace? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Be fair, we've just told him *not* to change his car on another thread.
>>

Perhaps he should buy the replacement parts as in a continuous replacement programme, but stockpile them instead of fitting them?
Then he will have, for example, a good battery waiting to pop into place with minimal inconvenience, without wasting money prematurely scrapping one still with life in it.

Think of it as a savings-linked Life Insurance policy. It would pay out if the car dies, but if it survives into old age he will still have a brand new car to retire with.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Old Navy
Possibly the best motor for Ratts would be a mechanically sound down at heel small van. The odd scrape and ding which are a part of street parking and city use would be irrelevant, plenty of room for computer bits in the back, and Ratts uses public transport for any serious travel.
if rats wants to go green i suggest donkey and cart, the gti model a horse and cart since rats only doing short runs then the donkey got the lower cost and residuals,
Last edited by: sajid on Tue 4 Nov 14 at 23:51
The trouble with donkeys is the pollution.. Lockjaw (tetanus) used to be a major problem with horse drawn traffic when it was common.. as the effluent was used in gardens and one scratch...

The smell is not appealing either especially when it's wet...and the effluent is highly corrosive..

DPF would give way to HPF (horse)
>> The trouble with donkeys is the pollution.. Lockjaw (tetanus) used to be a major problem
>> with horse drawn traffic when it was common.. as the effluent was used in gardens
>> and one scratch...
>>
>> The smell is not appealing either especially when it's wet...and the effluent is highly corrosive..
>>
>> DPF would give way to HPF (horse)
>>

Then there the emissions prob too high nox and co2 as well
 Car batteries when to replace? - Cliff Pope
Horseshoes coming off are a regular occurence in my observation.

Would the panel advise Rats to replace them all as a matter of course, or wait until a particular one fails?
Horseshoes are a preventative maintenance item.. One fails and the horse is out of action for days/weeks..due to injury..

A three monthly job.. Great for farriers..
Oh come now. Nobody ever lost a kingdom for want of a horse shoe.

(Actually the spellchecker made that more amusing (for me) the first time around, when it proclaimed that Noddy never lost a kingdom for want of a horseshow.)

Car batteries when to replace? - Ambo
Replacement may be hastened after a quick boil up by a roadside assistance outfit. I am sure the RAC did for my Hyundai i30 battery when it was less that 2 years old.
>> Replacement may be hastened after a quick boil up by a roadside assistance outfit. I
>> am sure the RAC did for my Hyundai i30 battery when it was less that
>> 2 years old.
>>

I just knew there was a reason that I put the Ctek charger on my battery most winter weekends. :)
 Car batteries when to replace? - WillDeBeest
Nothing better to do?

You've told us before that it's a fifty-mile drive from yours to anywhere it's safe to stop the car and get out (or something like that anyway.) Isn't that plenty to keep the battery alive?
>> Nothing better to do?
>>
>> You've told us before that it's a fifty-mile drive from yours to anywhere it's safe
>> to stop the car and get out (or something like that anyway.) Isn't that plenty
>> to keep the battery alive?
>>

The English border is about 100 miles. :)

Oh, and about 250 miles of Scottish mainland to the north.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 5 Nov 14 at 16:40
>> Oh come now. Nobody ever lost a kingdom for want of a horse shoe.
>>
>>
>> (Actually the spellchecker made that more amusing (for me) the first time around, when it
>> proclaimed that Noddy never lost a kingdom for want of a horseshow.)
>>

Noddy of course (as you will all know) is the world's biggest horse.. so losing a horseshoe is a disaster..

tinyurl.com/kh6psz8
Well blow me down. The spellchecker, as I long suspected, is indeed cleverer than I am.
 Car batteries when to replace? - wokingham
Classic example today. 7 1/2 year old battery - fine yesterday, all but dead this morning.No warning signs at all.
Rats has at least another 3 years to go before he need worry about changing his, so :-)
 Car batteries when to replace? - Steve
I Recently replaced what I think was the original battery on my 1997 Toyota. (Toyota branded, no signs of replacement) It worked okay, car started instantly, but headlamp dimming etc on idle made me a bit worried. The new battery works just the same, but starting is a bit more ' lively'. New starter motor next I suppose !
 Car batteries when to replace? - Fullchat
Or check and clean earth straps etc at the end where they meet engine /body/ starter motor.
 Car batteries when to replace? - Victorbox
>> branded, no signs of replacement) It worked okay, car started instantly, but headlamp dimming etc
>> on idle made me a bit worried.

Perhaps a new alternator would have been a better move?
 Car batteries when to replace? - Slidingpillar
Or fixing the earth point!
Latest Forum Posts