Motoring Discussion > wheelchair car park drag Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 38

wheelchair car park drag - mikeyb
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-29848021

A woman who was caught on CCTV dragging a man in a wheelchair behind her car has been handed a two-year driving ban

Having read the piece I think the punishment looks a bit harsh - all the participants were willing, and I don't see a victim in this
 wheelchair car park drag - wokingham
A Risk Assessment had not been carried out, for a start
 wheelchair car park drag - CGNorwich
"Having read the piece I think the punishment looks a bit harsh - all the participants were willing, and I don't see a victim in this"

The same could of course be said for nearly all motoring offences from drink driving to parking on a yellow line.
 wheelchair car park drag - Armel Coussine
>> all the participants were willing, and I don't see a victim in this

The speeds were very moderate too. The word 'whizzing' is a gross exaggeration.

Perhaps it's an offence not to take automobiles or underground car parks very, very seriously. I'd better watch out, since you can get a driving ban for a small amount of safe fooling about in a safe place. It's a goddam minefield out there.
 wheelchair car park drag - Old Navy
Yes, how do youngsters learn car control if not in a deserted snowy car park?
 wheelchair car park drag - Zero
Its was clearly a ruddy stupid and dangerous thing to do. One is not allowed to be ruddy stupid and dangerous these days.

I'd have been given a life sentence for dangerous and stupid in my younger days!

>>
>> I'd have been given a life sentence for dangerous and stupid in my younger days!
>>

Me too, in my case they would still be looking for the key.
Stupid, but not dangerous. Speeds too low for danger. Those cameras are a real pain except when someone is doing murder or rape. Then they're essential viewing.
 wheelchair car park drag - NortonES2
If not dangerous, why is it stupid? Make your mind up!
>> If not dangerous, why is it stupid? Make your mind up!

Ask yourself NortonES: would you do something like that so cautiously? But wouldn't it be even more moronic to do it at an amusing, dangerous speed? Those wheelchairs have lousy steering and roadholding.

When I was young and stupid I sometimes tried things along those lines, and sometimes got hurt or caused damage, criminal and otherwise. Nothing terminal though or anything like it. I was fortunate.
If no danger why be cautious? Clearly there was some risk both to and from the half-wit who misused the wheelchair, and then abandoned it, and b) a greater risk to the public from the moron who drove, quite briskly it appears, to reconnect with the dope on a rope.
 wheelchair car park drag - MD
Lordy Miss Lordy, We had much fun and amoosment when we were young, involving much worse/better stuff than this. WTF is all the fuss aboot???
 wheelchair car park drag - Cliff Pope
I've pulled children on a sledge with a tractor on a snowy lane.
A couple of years ago we sledged down the snow-bound lane past our house.
I used regularly to coast downhill standing on the back of my disabled wife's wheelchair, steering by leaning forwards and selectively pulling the brakes. It was sometimes possible to go for miles, getting up to a good speed.

Whatever next - I suppose scooting on a supermarket trolley when returning it to the pound is illegal too?

It would be simpler if the law just gave a short list of things we were still allowed to do -
Origami perhaps. No, on second thoughts, that uses scissors.
 wheelchair car park drag - Runfer D'Hills

>>Origami perhaps. No, on second thoughts, that uses scissors.

Quite glad that judge doesn't know what we get up to on mountain bikes. It would re-define her concept of "whizzing" that's for sure. Ok not in supermarket car parks granted but it's been known to scare the living fertiliser out of the squirrels.

Talking of trolley riding, there used to be a banked spiral ramp thing from arrivals down to the bus stops at Heathrow T1 or T2, one of those anyway, well, if you got enough speed up with your trolley and got up on it you could do a fair old wall of death kind of thing down to the ground floor. Everyone did it. Well, everyone I knew anyway.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 22:03
>> If no danger why be cautious?

To stay below danger level?

The moron didn't drive 'quite briskly' but at a low, cautious speed. I'd be very surprised if they ever reached 6mph.

As I say, when we did that sort of thing we tried to make it amusing even if that meant risking a bruise or contusion. But who wants a broken bone? Softly softly stay aliveee.

What a lot of wimps there are on this site. Almost make me look like not a wimp. Tchah, frankly.
 wheelchair car park drag - sooty123
Good god a two year over something and nothing? people do far more day in day out, no doubt we've all been involved in far more than this. infact I'd say it was fairly tame stuff, a bit above walking pace at it's fastest.
 wheelchair car park drag - MD
Talking of cautious and boring and PC Carp.

P&O Cruises. Chap buys cocktail for his Wife. Cocktail looks bored. Chap says, c'mon barman, let's have a cherry on a stick and any other fruit that this Pox and 'Orrible (P&O) company can afford. No can do says barman. Why says chap? Not allowed says barman. Chap not entirely satisfied says explain yourself my good man. Fed up with typing now, but the long and the short etc. is this. Some Woman cuts her mouth on one of the plastic spear things that used to hold the maraschino cherry and other delectable fruits and now P&O have banned it all.

The above is fact. Along with many other minor cutbacks, but only those that made a (better) difference will see that company flounder. I really do hope so, believe me, I really really do.

Butlins for that chap next year. Same quality, but slightly cheaper, Oh! and he can take his own spears.
The speed at which the vehicle turned at the end of the straight was somewhat more than walking pace. None so blind etc.
Yes the bit with no-one on the back end? death defying speeds I'm sure. With no-one attached it was nothing abnormal, with the chap hanging on it was a bit above walking pace. Whoever handed that ban out needs to give their head a good wobble.
In a car park like that, speed needs to be low at all times. The driver was not in full control. No doubt the prosecutor would have estimated speeds before CPS gave clearance.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 21:38
I was wondering if the driver was on the licence for less than two years rules and this was taken into account.
Nortones, you are spouting utter balderdash. Nothing brisk let alone dangerous in that clip.

It's impossible that you could mean it. Either you stand in need of a speed awareness course or you're just winding people up.

That's my last word on it because this is too silly. Of course as any fule kno the CPS and local authorities are capable of anything.

'Whizzing' indeed. Load of cobblers.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 22:39
 wheelchair car park drag - legacylad
Two year ban. For that? You've gotta be joking. Driving through a few West Yorks towns earlier this week I saw driving 100x worse on numerous occasions. Excessive speeding & downright dangerous but a bit of harmless fun on this clip. I would have wanted a go myself. Several times I have been towed along on skis at 20mph by a friends car in ski resorts after lots of beer. Just make sure it's on a back road with no gendarmes around. The dangerous part is downhill when you start overtaking the tow car. The wheel chair was not even slaloming.
 wheelchair car park drag - Fullchat
Seems a bit harsh to me. There has got to be some other issues although a Google is only throwing up the same story with no other detail. Crown Court???
Hang on to your hair AC: I never used the description whizzing in this thread and although no stranger to uttering balderdash, I have been undogmatic. I suspect the authorities have more idea of the velocity than guesswork from a grainy video but as the case is probably not reported we may never know why the punishment was so tough.
>> I never used the description whizzing

I know. It was in the media link.

I still don't understand why you and others want to believe that bit of pratting about was dangerous, when it very obviously wasn't.
Was it not dangerous then? There would of course be a defence if there was mimimal risk, but perhaps the defendant and her brief thought it was dangerous, when they pleaded guilty in the Crown Court. DD is quite an exacting charge in terms of proof, and there is nothing about why a lesser charge of careless driving was not negotiated. Maybe there is more to come.
>> Maybe there is more to come.

Perhaps the driving ban will be rescinded on appeal. It damn well ought to be from what I've seen on the clip. Or reduced anyway to a very short, rap-on-the-knuckles period, three points too if you insist.

The clip has a bit missing while the car is turning round. Perhaps that's the bit where the car is getting violent wheelspin and bouncing off pillars. But somehow I don't think anything like that happened. Harmless, careful, gentle pratting around, that's what I saw. And so did you.
You are in denial, in the face of a conviction and a guilty plea. As for telling me what I saw, I suggest you take a pill.
You're obviously as blind as a bat Nortones. Convictions are often ridiculous and guilty pleas tactical. They may scare the bejasus out of you but I've seen all sorts of them before. You're talking garbage.
Well, for what little it's worth, what I saw was two young people messing about without really endangering themselves or others. Definitely a bit daft and maybe worth a nominal fine but probably more in the region of a stern ticking off. As for a two year ban and and a substantial financial penalty well, let's get our priorities in a row.
 wheelchair car park drag - Duncan
>> You're talking garbage.

Right.
>> You are in denial, in the face of a conviction and a guilty plea.

I assume you aren't on a windup, you really think that video shows something so dangerous it requires a 2 year driving ban?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 1 Nov 14 at 20:02
>> Perhaps the driving ban will be rescinded on appeal. It damn well ought to be
>> from what I've seen on the clip. Or reduced anyway to a very short, rap-on-the-knuckles
>> period, three points too if you insist.
>>
>> The clip has a bit missing while the car is turning round. Perhaps that's the
>> bit where the car is getting violent wheelspin and bouncing off pillars. But somehow I
>> don't think anything like that happened. Harmless, careful, gentle pratting around, that's what I saw.
>> And so did you.
>>

Is this your LAST word?
>> >> I never used the description whizzing
>>
>> I know. It was in the media link.
>>
>> I still don't understand why you and others want to believe that bit of pratting
>> about was dangerous, when it very obviously wasn't.
>>

You said your post at 22:34 on Friday was your last word on this subject.

So, is this your LAST, LAST word?
 wheelchair car park drag - Boxsterboy
Life is becoming so dull these days - are we allowed no fun at all?
Don't be silly, of course we are, just so long as you run a risk assessment first, wear a helmet and a hi-vis vest, have sufficient insurance cover and make sure all minority groups are invited to participate then fill your boots.
 wheelchair car park drag - Slidingpillar
At the end of the day, it's a 'victim less crime'. But sentencing suggests there is some element of it that is against the establishment to get that level of punishment. Be rude to a judge, spend time in the big house, beat up an old lady - small fine and community service.
>> So, is this your LAST, LAST word?

No. I lied.
Latest Forum Posts