Motoring Discussion > Islington - W Sussex Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 4

Islington - W Sussex - Armel Coussine
Left Islington around 2, got here about 4, no serious mimsers and no nose-to-tail crawling or hardly any. The jalopy behaved impeccably. Wafting through London in low gears soon gets the engine hot, and they all run better hot. Hardly reached the speed limit all the way here because the other traffic was cool, and never exceeded it by more than 20mph. One or two places I went past things and blasted away but really to no avail because there was more moderate-speed traffic a bit down the road and the silver Golf and red van soon caught up again... so gave it best and joined in, quiet and relaxing it was too.

There's a temporary traffic light on a wiggly bit of the A29, not very long but you can't see one end from the other. The light wasn't working so there was a miserable copper or two with walkie talkies signalling the stuff through by hand. I wonder if it's been fixed yet. The slow down sign appears very shortly before the traffic queue if you're used to doing the limit through those wigglies, not quite a 'moment' but getting on that way even for me, heavier braking than one is used to, so you'd better watch out you gung-ho nippers...

Must get those anti-roll bar bushes done. The noise is uncivilised and also of course a clear indication of ongoing progressive damage. What a slob I am.
Weekday afternoons are good for driving about, only professional drivers on the road, everyone else at their desks or workbenches. So the driving is brisk, relaxed and stress-free.

The same distance in the other direction took three hours at the weekend, but starting at 7 and so all done in the dark. I suspect we got entangled in the tail end of some naive Bank Holiday seaside carp. Anywhere there could be a hold-up, there was one, with mimsers making extra-heavy weather of it, after you Cecil after you Claude, OFFS get on with it!

Herself must be an angel the way she seems not to notice my ugly relentless whining. Perhaps as a woman she's genetically programmed not to mind that sort of thing.
 Islington - W Sussex - MD
Your posts are, in the main, quite amusing in a serious sort of way. I always know it's you halfway through the first line and no, I don't cheat.
 Islington - W Sussex - car4play
Those 'temporary' lights have been there ages - unless I am mistaken.
What are they doing there anyway?
Not sure. Road subsidence perhaps... anyway most of one carriageway tightly coned off, or worse than coned, baulks of red and white timber or concrete. It's only a hundred and fifty yards if that. It isn't a place where it's easy to stop for a look even if you think you have time; and of course driving through there when signalled makes it impossible to do more than glance to the side, not long enough for a proper look.
Latest Forum Posts