Motoring Discussion > Claiming car tax back Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 16

Claiming car tax back - nice but dim
Hi all,

Can anyone advise or point to the correct website please (I have googled, cant find the correct information) on how to claim back the remaining tax on my now sold car?

I have the tax disc in my possession and also the yellow trader slip with the dealer details of which bought my car (I'm sending that off today).

Many thanks
 Claiming car tax back - CGNorwich
Don't have to. It will be done automatically when you advice DVLA of disposal of car. You can throw away the tax disc . It is now of no relevance.

Claiming car tax back - Bromptonaut
IIRC returning the sale documentation to DVLA now generates an automatic refund to the seller. No longer need the physical disc to be available/surrendered.

www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
Thanks, I thought that, so just posting off the trader slip will sort that. Happy days.

Think I will just hang on to the disc until it happens, might follow up with a call just to make sure everything is all in order.

Once I've been through the procedure I will trust it. The DVLA 0300 number is tedious, sending you down avenues of options for all manner of queries, leading you to dead ends advising kindly informing you that you can do this on the website, GRRR!
 Claiming car tax back - jc2
You only need to call if you don't get letters confirming that you are no longer the owner and the refund.They come separately(at least,mine did).
 Claiming car tax back - Cliff Pope
If the tax had been bought under the old pre-October system then the DVLA would not necessarily have your bank account details in order to make an automatic refund?
Wouldn't that only happen under the new direct debit system?
 Claiming car tax back - sherlock47
And how do they know your account is still open? (or belongs to you?)
 Claiming car tax back - jc2
My refund came as a cheque along with instructions on how to cash it if I had no account!
 Claiming car tax back - Zero
>> And how do they know your account is still open? (or belongs to you?)

Well if the account didn't belong to you, you didn't pay it, so you don't get the refund.

Seemples.
>> >> And how do they know your account is still open? (or belongs to you?)
>>
>> Well if the account didn't belong to you, you didn't pay it, so you don't
>> get the refund.
>>
>> Seemples.
>>

It may be simple to you if you have no friends and a Bank Account. If the reverse is true it is entirely possible for someone to have paid on your behalf. Even an ex-wife.

>> It may be simple to you if you have no friends and a Bank Account.
>> If the reverse is true it is entirely possible for someone to have paid on
>> your behalf. Even an ex-wife.

Life Lesson no1 Never Trust an ex wife. There you can have that advice for free,

Seriously, you expect the DVLA to repay money to a person that didn't pay it? Fraud starts here if you do.
 Claiming car tax back - Ted

Took all my old tax discs out of storage this afto and pasted them all on the doors in the workshop. Makes a fine display...all 75 of them. The earliest being 1959 and 3 still current.

Some memories there.

Opening to the public on Saturday. £2 entry..concessions £1.
 Claiming car tax back - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Seriously, you expect the DVLA to repay money to a person that didn't pay it?
>>
>>

Yes.
Under the old system the refund went to the keeper of the vehicle surrendering the disc, not the original purchaser, who might have been several owners back.

Different now, I know, because you can't transfer unused tax. But an old-style disc surrendered today might have been purchased by a previous owner, and transfered before 1 October.
CP thanks for responding. I had got bored with a nul response;)
>> CP thanks for responding. I had got bored with a nul response;)

Gald you are no longer bored, don't change the facts tho does it.
>> Different now, I know, because you can't transfer unused tax. But an old-style disc surrendered
>> today might have been purchased by a previous owner, and transfered before 1 October.

Yes welcome to the 21st century where people don't wander into a post office with a bundle of white fivers any more.

And don't moan at me, you the great british public wanted the convenience of doing it on line. And once its paid on-line you can't expect anyone else to get the refund than the purchasers origin. To do other is called money laundering.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Nov 14 at 08:44
Thanks for all replies, I only bought the disc end of July and (just checked) it was on a card still in my possession. I shall await my refund.
Latest Forum Posts