Motoring Discussion > The boss stands by his product Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 37

The boss stands by his product - Zero
recombu.com/cars/articles/news/bulletproof-car-boss-lets-employee-fire-ak47-at-him-whilst-sat-in-armoured-vehicle
 The boss stands by his product - WillDeBeest
Reminds me of this story. Not everyone gets away with taking an unnecessary risk.
darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-01.html
 The boss stands by his product - Cliff Pope
Garry was "one of the best and brightest"

:)
 The boss stands by his product - Aretas
Zero, I can't write down what I said after seeing this or I would be banned from all forums for life.
Last edited by: Aretas on Sun 16 Nov 14 at 10:04
 The boss stands by his product - Runfer D'Hills
I'm more shocked by a journalist using "whilst sat" when anyone who's first language is English should know the correct term is "while sitting"...

;-)

>> I'm more shocked by a journalist using "whilst sat" when anyone who's first language is
>> English should know the correct term is "while sitting"...
>>
>> ;-)
Yes but whilst being shot at by an AK47 sat in what is the question.
 The boss stands by his product - Westpig
>> I'm more shocked by a journalist using "whilst sat"

Maybe there was an 'h' in it?
 The boss stands by his product - John Boy
Razor Crazy Kart XL, on the same link, looks like a whole lot of fun.

recombu.com/cars/articles/news/razor-crazy-kart
 The boss stands by his product - henry k
>> Razor Crazy Kart XL, on the same link, looks like a whole lot of fun.
>>
>> recombu.com/cars/articles/news/razor-crazy-kart
>>
OK that's granny's Christmas present sorted :-)

Coming to a pavement near you !!!
 The boss stands by his product - Duncan
>> I'm more shocked by a journalist using "whilst sat" when anyone who's first language is
>> English should know the correct term is "while sitting"...
>>
>> ;-)

I'm more shocked by your use of "who's", which is an abbreviation for "who is".

Did you mean "whose"?

;-)
 The boss stands by his product - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I'm more shocked by your use of "who's", which is an abbreviation for "who is".
>>
>> Did you mean "whose"?
>>
>> ;-)
>>
He's Scottish. He'll be back to ask "What do yous know about grammar?"
 The boss stands by his product - Fullchat
Not very impressive. There are a number of other factors.
Even a normal windscreen will offer protection against a small caliber / low velocity round due to its angle which will tend to deflect the round.
Yes the weapon went bang and the projectile hit the screen but what type of round was being used? There are many manufacturers who produce 'bullet proof' screens. I have sat in a proper armoured Jag with 'bullet proof' everything and its the weirdest place to be as the thickness of the side windows alters the optical effect of the glass massively.
 The boss stands by his product - Armel Coussine
From the size of the bruises on the screen, it seems quite possible that those were standard Kalashnikov rounds, not quite .303 in weight or velocity but fairly lethal all the same. If they were, the armoured glass looks impressive to dilettante gun-freak me. Gas-powered automatic weapons like that sacrifice muzzle velocity - 'hitting power' - for firepower. Modern-generation infantry weapons have tiny bullets by comparison to an AK. Perhaps they really would be deflected by an ordinary triplex screen...

:o}
 The boss stands by his product - Lygonos
>> Modern-generation infantry weapons have tiny bullets by comparison to an AK. Perhaps they really would be deflected by an ordinary triplex screen...

Let's put that theory to the test ;-)
>> Let's put that theory to the test ;-)

Do you know about them Lygonos? I don't really, but they are radically different from old infantry weapons, useless over any range but with a very high rate of fire and I believe quite high muzzle velocity. The bore is very small, under 7mm I think. This means squaddies can carry a lot more ammo and spray the undergrowth before they advance...

The French had these weapons long before we did. I was shown one by a Foreign Legion squaddie in Chad when our military still had the FN rifle (more fragile than an AK and with a much smaller magazine, but longer, good for rifle drill...). The Frogs called their version the 'Bugle' because it looked like one in profile.

I can only apologise if all this lascivious talk about instruments designed to cause death and injury seems in bad taste to a doctor. But firearms do exert a sort of fascination. Among other things they are measuring instruments. But it's aesthetic really, that deadly functional purity.
 The boss stands by his product - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> The French had these weapons long before we did. I was shown one by a
>> Foreign Legion squaddie in Chad when our military still had the FN rifle
>>
Hey, I had a very realistic looking toy FN rifle when I was a nipper, loved it. It was bought for me by the old man who was seriously into guns. When I was about four and still living in Ireland he took me to some waste ground one day and let me pull the trigger on his loaded revolver while he held it.

The boss stands by his product - Focusless
>> The bore is very small, under 7mm

5.56mm - SA80? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80
 The boss stands by his product - MD
7.62/.308
>> 7.62/.308

That's the bore of a standard AK47 MD. I'm sure you know, but the order of posts makes it look as if you are saying that's the bore of an SA80.
While checking that 5.56mm was the same as 0.22 (it's a whisker more) and learning a lot of interesting stuff about the difference in chambering between a military and sporting weapon (the military one has a slightly looser, roomier chamber to allow rapid rate of auto fire, resulting in lesser accuracy), I got sidetracked into watching a couple of US rednecks enthusing over the Civil War period Minie rifle round, a thoroughly nasty projectile even by bullet standards.

Fascinating, but horrid and grim to me. Not to those rednecks though, shooting blocks of jelly stuff...
 The boss stands by his product - Runfer D'Hills
"Whose" should really only be used interogatively. I can see how you might have got confused though.

;-)
Really, Humph? Who's been telling you that?
 The boss stands by his product - No FM2R
We used to have an armoured Audi which turned out to be counter productive the day the driver was dragged out and a petrol bomb was thrown in and the doors slammed shut.

It was in Rio, I must see if it still shows on Google.
He'd forgotten to lock the doors?
I don't know. One never has a clear idea as to level of collusion.

He dropped me at the office, drove downtown into a riot where buses were being burned. Supposedly, or allegedly, he got dragged from the car, and it was burned.

It was most certainly burned. Quite how you persuade someone to get someone out of a heavily armoured A8 was never clear.
 The boss stands by his product - Ted

I know knothing about guns but I was watching Lee Ermey ( Gunnery Sgt Hartmann in Full MetalJacket ) doing one of his gun programmes on Yank TV.

He tested an AK 47 against a hollow building block. It made a hole and chipped the interior a bit.
The American M3 virtually destroyed it's block.

He didn't rate the Russian jobby....but then, he's not on their side !
 The boss stands by his product - Kevin
>It was in Rio, I must see if it still shows on Google.

Was that around Y2K or so?

I was due to give a presentation in São Paulo around that time. It was relocated to Rio and eventually cancelled because local security had received specific threats and the company vetoed all but essential travel to Brazil.
Yes, it was. If it jogs your memory, there were huge riots downtown, where the most significant impacts were the amount of buses being destroyed.

I lived in both Rio & Sao Paulo at the time.

May I ask who you were working for?
>May I ask who you were working for?

An IT multi-national having an affection for TLAs.
I did some stuff with them.

How long were you there for? Based in Sao Paulo? Perhaps you knew Antonio Nora?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 16 Nov 14 at 21:14
>How long were you there for? Based in Sao Paulo? Perhaps you knew Antonio Nora?

I was based in Austin, TX.

Brazil was the only location scheduled for South America and was last on the list of about a dozen countries before I got back to Austin. IIRC, the only alternatives left when Rio was cancelled were Bangalore or Johannesburg so I think that the threats must have been fairly credible.

Antonio Nora doesn't ring a bell I'm afraid. Do you want me to look him up and see what he's doing now? If he's still with us?
Thanks, but no thanks, I know what he's doing. But he would have been IBM around that time.

Funnily enough I did a contracted SAP implementation in Austin just before Rio.

My lasting and only remaining impression was that the coffee shop the other side of the office car park did the best coffee and breakfast bagels I've ever had.
>My lasting and only remaining impression was that the coffee shop the other side of the office car park
>did the best coffee and breakfast bagels I've ever had.

Mmmm, do you mean that you've stayed in Austin and the best thing about it was the coffee and bagels or do you mean that coffee and bagels is all you can remember?
I worked in Austin for 3 months although my house was in Dallas.

Honesty forces me to admit that the coffee and the bagels were two of the three things that stay in my mind from the place. Although its fair to say that the coffee and bagels were second and third.

The rather lovely FI/CO consultant took first place.
One that has employed several of us here at various times. Never sent me to Brazil, though.
I've Been Moved.
I rather enjoyed the 80s when hardware competition between IBM & DEC and consulting competition between KPMG, PW, CL, Accenture, Deloitte and E&Y was all nice, gentlemanly and comfortable.

And then those gits from Waldorf messed it all up. And as I recall, that was IBM's fault as well.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 16 Nov 14 at 22:28
 The boss stands by his product - commerdriver
>> I've Been Moved.
>>
Not any more Z, now it's I've been sent halfway up the country 4 or 5 days a week and get home at weekends.
To be fair, in the old days when you were moved you got a very fair relocation package.
Latest Forum Posts