Motoring Discussion > Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 6

Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - Falkirk Bairn
tinyurl.com/lwep3de

Enterprising local road builder breaks even - council finish roadworks early
 Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - Zero
"Its a council plot" "set out to make them bankrupt" Based on that article, my admiration for the guy who built the road has evaporated and he has been filed under "WWG"

Winging Whining Git.

Turns out he didn't do it for altruistic reasons but to make a pot of money
 Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - WillDeBeest
Funny. Humphrys interviewed him on Today just before 8 this morning and I detected none of that. He said he hadn't gone into it to make a big profit, and he'd always intended to take the road up so that in six months you wouldn't know it had ever existed. He says he was £10-15,000 short of break even. Hardly 'bankrupt'.

And it wasn't his land; he reached an agreement with the farmer who owns it.
 Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - Harleyman
>> "Its a council plot" "set out to make them bankrupt" Based on that article, my
>> admiration for the guy who built the road has evaporated and he has been filed
>> under "WWG"
>>
>> Winging Whining Git.
>>
>>
>> Turns out he didn't do it for altruistic reasons but to make a pot of
>> money
>>

And you, of course, would do it out of the goodness of your heart? Of course he saw a potential to make money, it's called spotting an opportunity; no different to supermarkets putting food bank collection bins at their store entrances knowing full well you'll buy more from them, then bragging about their support for the community.

Had he not built that road it's a safe bet that those road works would still be there. Council got a load of bad press (quite rightly) and wasted taxpayers money on a bit of payback.
 Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - Zero
And you or course didn't have to pay the toll. I suppose you seriously think the council lashed out an extra load of dosh just so he couldn't make a profit.

Right yeah.
 Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - Bill Payer
The most amazing thing is that the council didn't find some way to stop him.
 Private Toll Road - Council finish roadworks early - Cliff Pope
I assumed that the idea came out of frustration, and on costing it he reckoned he could break even or even make a profit.

I admired him for sticking two finger up at the council, and if he'd made a whopping profit I'd have admired him even more.

I'm not surprised the council hated him. It shows up what they themselves could have done with a bit of enterprise.
Latest Forum Posts