Motoring Discussion > Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 48

Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30082212

8 months jail? warranted or not?
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - WillDeBeest
Two months for the driving and six for that facial hair.

(I seem to be much less liberal over here.)
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - sooty123
Looking at that, a very large part is deterence of other copy cats.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - MD
Warranted.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Robin O'Reliant
Can't complain.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Westpig
>> Warranted.
>>
Agreed
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Manatee
No sympathy, but it's a bit much for just being a simpleton.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - legacylad
He's not Massa. He's a very naughty boy.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Fullchat
Wonder how long before this is turned around and he becomes a bit of a celeb? The next Stig or something bizarre? Its a funny old world.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - No FM2R
No sympathy either, but it seems excessive in comparison to punishment for other crimes.

8 months is presumably life changing.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - zippy
Does seem to be on the high side.

People commit assault and gbh and get off with a fine.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - John Boy
I've no sympathy either. I knew a similar idiot of around the same age, who went to prison for about that length of time. It turned his life around in no uncertain terms.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Armel Coussine
I sympathise with the impulse but not with the act which was very foolhardy and potentially lethal to others. Short sharp shock seems appropriate. He'll only do three or four months though surely?

People don't think straight, that's the trouble.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - MD
My Cousin was taken out many years ago during Mad Sunday on the I.O.M. Some pratt coming the other way!!!
8 months Jail? muggers get less. Given that the fault lies with the event organisers and stewards, it being very easy to prevent non competing getting on the track, 8 months in jail for one tidy lap round brands is way over the top.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Cliff Pope
As a fan of the Marx Bros "A Day at the Races" it's hard not to laugh, but I suppose this was actually quite dangerous.

Are there any larks and stunts still permitted, or has everything been banned or H&S-ised?
>> As a fan of the Marx Bros "A Day at the Races" it's hard not
>> to laugh, but I suppose this was actually quite dangerous.
>>
>> Are there any larks and stunts still permitted,

Nothing, not a damn thing. "Quite Right too" hurumph all the miserable old sods.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 18 Nov 14 at 10:25
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - BobbyG
>>Are there any larks and stunts still permitted, or has everything been banned or H&S-ised?

news.stv.tv/west-central/300079-samuel-mcgovern-jailed-for-five-months-for-mooning-at-cctv-camera/

OK part of this is he didnt ahere to the order but why was it raised in the first instance?
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - VxFan
>> 8 months Jail

At least he'll get a rest from the girlfriends nagging.
>> Given that the fault lies with the event organisers and stewards,

Quite, but it seems they've got off scot free.
>> >> Given that the fault lies with the event organisers and stewards,
>>
>> Quite, but it seems they've got off scot free.
>>
I don't think it is their fault.

Motorsport at the lower levels relies heavily on volunteers and revenues aren't great.

It's a poor show if you can't have an enjoyable day out without some cretin trying to ruin it.

snip quote - is it so hard to do?

>> It's a poor show if you can't have an enjoyable day out without some cretin
>> trying to ruin it.

Given that Brands Hatch is built and designed to restrict access to the track by non competing or authorised vehicles its spectacularly easy, cheap and resource easy to keep it that way. One of the fundamentals of motor sport safety at any level is restricting access.

So yes, they have a share of blame.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Nov 14 at 12:43
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Boxsterboy
>> He's not Massa. He's a very naughty boy.
>>

Very good!! :-))
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Fenlander
Massive driving/financial sanction yes but jail... really?

Mind you looking at his picture on the BBC report perhaps jail is appropriate to that look.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - bathtub tom
Reading what he (allegedly) posted on Facebook: www.carthrottle.com/the-idiot-who-drove-his-vw-polo-onto-a-live-race-track-has-been-jailed-for-eight-months/

I reckon his English language teacher should be prosecuted.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - No FM2R
Its scarey. And sad.

How do we let our children get into his state? There seems to be no desire to be better than the next person.

8 months prison still isn't the answer though.
>> Its scarey. And sad.
>>
>> How do we let our children get into his state? There seems to be no
>> desire to be better than the next person.

Really? 'ad I dun this in me yoof me mates would've thought me well betta than them.

Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - NortonES2
I reckon his English teacher was on to a loser.
A bit thick, didn't get any effective schooling and writes - fluently it must be said, and not without nuance - as one imagines he speaks.

There's nothing unusual about any of that, among car freaks or many other categories. A kindly racing outfit could give him a job on a trial basis, to see if he was tameable. He didn't try conclusions on the circuit and kept out of the way.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 18 Nov 14 at 17:05
He is what is so wrong with many in our midst.

A truly selfish tit.

He deserves his sentence, every day of it, so that all the other selfish tits talk about it and even if only slightly, reflect on their moronic behaviour.

I for one am perfectly happy for my taxes to be paying for his porridge.
Hang a few, that will fix it.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Dutchie
Stupid thing to do could have caused big problems on the track.

But at least he didn't kick somebody's head in like so many do.

Not one of the worst crimes I've seen.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - martin aston
What strikes me is the disparity in how this was defined as an offence - and therefore the range of available punishments - compared to bad driving on the open road. You would have to do a lot more on the open road to get a prison sentence. Also while I have no comments to offer on the class of racing here you only need to look at the antics of F1 drivers (Rosberg on track spat with Hamilton for example) to see far more dangerous (legally unpunished) actions on the track. I am not saying any of these instances is directly comparable but it's hard to see any sort of consistency when you step back. I don't know what the answer is in this case and clearly there's wide range of opinions in the forum.
>> the track. I am not saying any of these instances is directly comparable but it's
>> hard to see any sort of consistency when you step back.

It's the same principle as that pillock that swam across the river in front of the boat race.

Everyone else's enjoyment is ruined or temporarily ruined by some totally selfish a'hole.. and there's an element of danger involved...

..so 'Go to Jail'.

So in my mind the message to him is: 'Stop being so damned self centered and selfish and take it on the chin as an example to others who might consider acting like you did'.

>> It's the same principle as that pillock that swam across the river in front of
>> the boat race.

Which would be fine if there was any consistency, fairness or justice about sentencing, where crimes of violence or intimidation against the community or person get off with community orders and pathetic victim surcharges. All that does is throw the jailing of two pranksters and jokers into the sharp relief of pathetic over reaction.

Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - BobbyG
>>Everyone else's enjoyment is ruined or temporarily ruined by some totally selfish a'hole.. and there's an element of danger involved...

so how does this work with all those jailed bankers????
>> A bit thick, didn't get any effective schooling and writes - fluently it must be
>> said, and not without nuance - as one imagines he speaks.
>>

That's it. Everyone learns, effortlessly, to speak and write fluently the language they grow up with.

If we want to change that, and "improve" someone, then we have to break the link with the cultural background and provide a different setting. That's impossible in the current liberal ethos which values all cultures, all languages, all dialects, and has long ago given up the concept of anything being "correct".

>> If we want to change that, and "improve" someone, then we have to break the
>> link with the cultural background and provide a different setting. That's impossible in the current
>> liberal ethos which values all cultures, all languages, all dialects, and has long ago given
>> up the concept of anything being "correct".

And long may that continue. Who has the right to say what is "correct".
>>
>> And long may that continue.
>>

You mean we need a sink pool of uneducated low-performers who have never been shown the benefits of aquiring better literacy skills?
That's a bit too right-wing for me.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 19 Nov 14 at 10:40
SQ again!!!!

>> You mean we need a sink pool of uneducated low-performers who have never been shown
>> the benefits of aquiring better literacy skills?
>> That's a bit too right-wing for me.

Bit too narrow minded you mean. Your idea of what constitutes worthiness is purely personal, and based on the use of Basildon Bond and Parkers ink. On your scale Shakespeare was an uneducated low performer.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Nov 14 at 12:44
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - CGNorwich
You mean we need a sink pool of uneducated low-performers who have never been shown
>> the benefits of aquiring better literacy skills?

Ah like James Joyce. You can't get more literary than him. Here's a chunk of Finnegans Wake.

"I have met with you, bird, too late, or if not, too worm and early: and with tag for ildiot in his secondmouth language as many of the bigtimer’s verbaten words which he could balbly call to memory that same kveldeve, ere teh hour of the t***tering of bards in the twitterlitter between Druidia and the Deepsleep Sea, when suppertide and souvenir to Charlatan Mall jointly kem gently along the quiet darkenings of Grand and Royal, ff, flitmansfluh, and, kk, ‘t crept i’ hedge whenas to many a softongue’s pawkytalk mude unswer u sufter poghyogh….."

I think young Mr Cottle's style compares quite favourably:-)

>> I think young Mr Cottle's style compares quite favourably:-)

Heh heh... it certainly does.
>> SQ again!!!!

I DID EFFIN SQ

YOU ARE GETTING e***** OCD ABOUT IT
You didn't, otherwise I wouldn't have edited the post and made reference that you didn't.

ps, no need to SHOUT.
 Jailed for driving car on track at Brands. - Fursty Ferret
On first thought I considered the sentence a bit excessive but if you listen to the terror in his (probably ex!) girlfriend's voice it was probably justified.
 How about a runway? - sooty123
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11246867/Man-jailed-for-driving-onto-runway.html
 How about a runway? - Zero
thats was a close shave, phew fancy having to land at Grimsby. That bloke should get a medal.
 How about a runway? - Armel Coussine
>> fancy having to land at Grimsby. That bloke should get a medal.

Heh heh... a touch of regional chauvinism perhaps?

These hacks do make me laugh... driving down an aerodrome runway at 80mph, goodness how terrifying, I nearly fainted when I read that.

The guy (clearly an idiot and maniac) was said to be on speed. In my experience amphetamine can make one a bit euphoric, but it doesn't turn people into idiots or maniacs unless they are those things already. This geezer is clearly both.

'Excuse me sir, but why are you lying down in the grass?'

'Er... I'm a farmer.'

Tee hee!
 How about a runway? - Slidingpillar
I've hit the rev limiter in top gear on a runway legally! But not as fast as some as car was a hillclimber and one would not normally encounter runways on hillclimb courses. Did about 120 I think.
Latest Forum Posts