Motoring Discussion > Bizarre, tragic accident. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 21

Bizarre, tragic accident. - Ted

Jeff Fletcher, guitarist with Northern Uproar was killed on Monday in Stockport.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/northern-uproar-emotional-tribute-tragic-8133681

Reports on Monday evening said he was crossing the A6 when he leaned forward to check the traffic before crossing and was decapitated by a passing truck.

A great tragedy for his family and a lot of people in the overlooking offices sent home after witnessing the aftermath. My daughter, who lives round the corner, was in tears when she rang us last night.

RIP.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - rtj70
Heard about this yesterday. It is bizarre and tragic. Still can't work out how you get decapitated if hit by a lorry. Killed yes but this?

Terrible for all those that witnessed it happening and the aftermath too.

One thing I found odd was it took them time to identify him. You'd have thought he had some sort of ID on him or something at least.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 19 Nov 14 at 21:01
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Zero

>> One thing I found odd was it took them time to identify him.

Not surprised, never heard of him.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Armel Coussine
'Leaning forward'? Pull the other one. Crawling or lying in the road perhaps.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Bill Payer
>> One thing I found odd was it took them time to identify him. You'd have
>> thought he had some sort of ID on him or something at least.
>>
I guess chances are he would have had ID but doing the confirmation would have been pretty harrowing, or perhaps they couldn't get hold of immediate family.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Alastairw
Definitely odd, and in this case I have no problem with the length of time it took to clear up, measure things etc. I walked home to avoid the traffic chaos it all caused.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Westpig
>> >> One thing I found odd was it took them time to identify him. You'd
>> have
>> >> thought he had some sort of ID on him or something at least.

Depends what condition his head was left in.

You can't 'id' someone from something in their pocket with no photo in case he has his mate's/ family member's items (or he's a thief and stolen them). Same principle with photo ID if you can't match the photo to the face.

I dealt with something similar once in Vauxhall Bridge Road, Pimlico. Chap stumbled and fell into the road, just as a Routemaster bus was driving past. The bus ran over his head. You could just about see he had a moustache, but anything above that was totally flattened... and I do mean completely flat....with all the detritus spread up around the bus wheel arch.

Obviously not very nice.
I was being a little subtle - if he'd been decapitated in the obvious sense then identifying him might be easier. If he'd fallen under the bus then I'd call that run over.

What I find odd is the use of the word 'decapitated' if I'm honest - can that really happen if struck by a lorry moving at 30mph?

Still a very tragic accident. But I do wonder if the reporting was accurate but they thought it sounded more acceptable than saying what had really happened.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Runfer D'Hills
I once, years ago, got hit on the back of the head by a bus "wing" mirror. My own fault really, I was walking along Oxford St in London and stepped out into the gutter to overtake the crowds on the pavement without properly checking what was behind me.

Flipping hurt that did, knocked me off my feet. No lasting harm done as far as I can tell thank goodness and a lesson learned.

Well, apart from my residual habit of howling at the moon and stuff anyway.
My guess is that the guy's head was run over and the little hacks used 'decapitated' because it's fashionable at the moment.

Lorry equivalent to Isil maniac. Why not? Tchah!
>> My guess is that the guy's head was run over and the little hacks used 'decapitated' because
>> it's fashionable at the moment.

That was my original guess. But that's not 'decapitated'.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Ted

Here.....

www.google.com/maps/@53.4011421,-2.1558525,3a,75y,291.97h,69.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smUYGf8BpY7n9XhW3K8AoiQ!2e0

Perhaps he got dragged a few feet and got jammed up against the pedestrian safety fencing on this junction.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - John Boy
>> Here.....

It doesn't look like a fun place to cross the road as a pedestrian, does it?>>
>> It doesn't look like a fun place to cross the road as a pedestrian, does it?

Doesn't look much less fun than any other big urban junction. Of course if you want to cross diagonally it's only sensible to take the long way round.

What's the big deal about crossing roads?
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - John Boy
>> What's the big deal about crossing roads?

If the crossing is controlled by lights, a lot of people (and I'm one) find it really difficult to walk across in the time allowed.

Plus - motorists, who jump the lights, usually do it at the expense of pedestrians.
Never mind the lights. You cross half the road when there's nothing coming, lights or no lights. You stop in the middle until there's a gap in the other carriageway, then cross that half. Only when there's unbroken traffic does one have to wait for the lights.

I'm not as nimble as I used to be, but I don't suffer from what are called 'mobility problems'. I suppose if I did I might think differently.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Alastairw
As someone who uses that junction more or less daily I can confirm its not a nice place to cross. I suspect the victim lost patience waiting for the 'green man' to light, took a chance and got it wrong. Personally I would rather be 5 mins late than a long time dead.
Good point about safety railings. Although I thought it a bit further up the A6 towards Manchester is where it happened. It was near Greek Street I think.

At least I thought it was nearer the town hall and they'd blocked the road near the Honda dealer at one end because of the connecting roads.

Tragic accident all the same. Terrible for the family and friends. Terrible for anyone who saw it. Especially bad for the lorry driver.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 20 Nov 14 at 17:47
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - BiggerBadderDave
Whenever I'm crossing the A6 from Stockport to Cheadle Hulme, I'd drive through Hillgate, skip that junction and drive across onto Bramhall Lane. Back in the 80s I was doing that every evening evening and Saturday as I was working at the new Asda (paying for my education - and my precious 505). I got friendly with one of the till girls and I'd drop her off on Garners Lane past the Davenport train station whenever she was doing the same shift. I was about 18 and she must have been early 30s, married with kids. Man, did she flirt... She got me into her place one afternoon when I dropped her off. What did I do? Absolutely F-A. I was such a dizzy dumbass of a kid, I just didn't read the signs. I didn't realise what she was up for.

Now when I drive past that street I feel full of regret. If I'd known then, what I know now... that would have been one hell of a Milf experience.

Useless, brainless plonker.
>> Useless, brainless plonker.

Tell me about it BBD. You're not the only one, believe me.

I was so shy and wimpish it's a miracle I ever got my end away.
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - Westpig
>> Tell me about it BBD. You're not the only one, believe me.
>>
>> I was so shy and wimpish it's a miracle I ever got my end away.
>>
Another one here i'm afraid.
Last edited by: Westpig on Thu 20 Nov 14 at 21:11
 Bizarre, tragic accident. - MD
I often dwell on the missed opportunity's that were to be fair, so blatantly obvious.
Latest Forum Posts