Motoring Discussion > Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 16

Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - VxFan
A garage owner in a Dorset village has set up a fake speed camera van in an attempt to slow down traffic.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-30141108

www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/11616895.Garage_boss_s_van_tastic_way_to_curb_speeding/?ref=rss

At first glance it would have me fooled.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 13:13
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Zero

>> At first glance it would have me fooled.

At 50 yards away? it would have my foot off the gas for sure.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - ....
I thought Runfer lived up Cheshire way:
"Over the years he said he has replaced nearly 20 wings mirrors on cars parked near to his garage."
From the Dorset Echo link.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 13:31
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Runfer D'Hills
Ha ha bleedin' ha !

On the OP though, I'm curious to know how many here would regularly deliberately break the lower speed limits anyway. I'm no saint, but generally speaking I take good heed of 30 mph limits because I assume they are usually there for a more tangible safety reason than most.

Some 50mph limited dual carriageways do puzzle me a lot more.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Armel Coussine
From the photos, that doesn't look like a place where one would be going at all fast. One might be doing (say) 36mph however, and the black stick-on square on the van would indeed cause one to lift off... too late perhaps.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - bathtub tom
He's so concerned with safety, he parks it on the pavement, midway between the entrances to the filling station where it's obstructing vision of vehicles leaving the forecourt.

I've no objection to him imitating a camera van, but I hope he gets a ticket for his parking.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Mike Hannon
They used to MOT my Rover P6 V8. Traffic does go fast through the village - it's the first piece of straight road after a very twisty section on the Winterbourne Abbas side when heading east.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 16:31
>> Traffic does go fast through the village - it's the first piece of straight road after a very twisty section

How fast though Mike? 40 in a 30 is very seldom dangerous when you can see, and of course in a modern vehicle you can get rid of speed in an instant.

Coming to the end of a long, boring and unnecessary 30 limit when the NSL sign is clearly visible a long way off can get you into trouble though. If I were a speed camera carphound I'd lurk somewhere like that, out of sight of course. It's human nature to want to hit the NSL at a decent speed, isn't it? That despite numerous lessons to the contrary.

I spend most of my driving time below the limit these days. It's relaxing but makes me feel a bit elderly.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 19:08
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - No FM2R
>>I spend most of my driving time below the limit these days

Mimser.
>> Mimser.

Not exactly. But other road users sometimes seem to think so and tailgate with their damn daylight running lights. What is it that the real mimsers say? 'They can get stuffed', something like that. I watch my mirrors and stay out of the way. They can pass if they're up to it. But of course most of them aren't. They are the real mimsers. Wafting along isn't mimsing. You have to get systematically in everyone's way to pass for a true mimser. There's no shortage of the carphounds.
AC, there is some sort of natural balance, or poetic justice, in you justifying holding others up having bitched for so long over being held up yourself.

Kind of a Dirk Gently "fundamental interconnectedness of all things".

You've never got a sofa stuck on the stairs, have you?
>> You've never got a sofa stuck on the stairs, have you?

Oh yes. Pianos are much worse though, and a bit dangerous too.

You didn't really take in what I said about mimsers: that they make it difficult or impossible to pass being unaware or indifferent to what's happening behind them. I don't do that, I know what's going on back there and keep out of the way as far as possible. If the true mimsers behind can't pass even in easy places, what can I do?
I took it in AC, I just chose to ignore it. I would put a smiley here to make sure that you know I'm joking, but I hate the damned things.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Mike Hannon
It's not very wide there and it's nothing but property accesses on both sides. I can see why the wing mirrors go.
Incidentally, I was reading a 1954 Motor Sport the other day and there was a quote from the Duke of Edinburgh in which he used the word 'mimsers'.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Cliff Pope
>> he parks it on the pavement, midway between the entrances
>> to the filling station where it's obstructing vision of vehicles leaving the forecourt.
>>

That's to add realism. Real ones park at danger spots, not in off-street carparks.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - ....
>> Ha ha bleedin' ha !
>>

I little cruel on my part but it was like looking a gift horse in the mouth...

>> On the OP though, I'm curious to know how many here would regularly deliberately break
>> the lower speed limits anyway. I'm no saint, but generally speaking I take good heed
>> of 30 mph limits because I assume they are usually there for a more tangible
>> safety reason than most.
>>
>> Some 50mph limited dual carriageways do puzzle me a lot more.
>>

I stick to the limits in town but out on dual carriageways and motorways I would always go with the flow and a little bit more. Each time I come back to the UK I see more and more camera vans on the dual carriageways and motorway fly overs. I was sweating a bit after my last trip to the UK and the A64 heading towards York. Luckily the van was on the other side of the carriageway but the front window was open and I wasn't sure if they worked over the whole road width or just the side they are parked on.

I much prefer driving overnight as either the technology doesn't work in the dark or the employers don't fancy the unsociable hour rates of pay. It'll come no doubt.

I'm starting to really hate driving in the UK. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the authorities.
 Frampton villager sets up fake speed camera van - Mike H
Interesting that he's allowed to get away with the camera-van lookalike. I remember a similar case some years ago, when a chap with a white van wrote the innocent combination of characters "POL" on the offside of the van and "ICE" on the other, and left it partially out of his drive...... the boys in blue didn't like that one, but it did slow the traffic down.
Latest Forum Posts