Motoring Discussion > The double yellow lines are there for a reason Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 29

The double yellow lines are there for a reason - VxFan
To stop you obstructing the trams!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-30138390

The double yellow lines are there for a reason - nice but dim
Hardly lifted as in the description, that rolled far too easily to even have the handbrake on or in gear.

In one of the last pictures, if that is her with the phone in her hand say no more - arrogant bint.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Zero
>> Hardly lifted as in the description, that rolled far too easily to even have the
>> handbrake on or in gear.

They "bounced" it. Given enough bodies its quite easy to bounce a braked car sideways.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - rtj70
>> They "bounced" it.

Looked like the wheels were turning - so no handbrake engaged? Or it was disengaged?

Also there seems to have been a bit that came off the car. Looking at 0:19 in the video.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - R.P.
We have around 3 meters of dyl's in the village, they're outside the school, there is no shortage of parking and the road is very wide and generally slow for various reasons (and very well surfaced thanks to Surrey taxpayers) - I often have a giggle as I drive past on various missions...one solitary car in the road, parked on the yellow lines....gormless idiots.
>> We have around 3 meters of dyl's in the village,

As opposed to more than three meters of Dai's?
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - R.P.
Very few Dais up here they're more your south Walian underground types.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - sooty123
Must be pretty dozy to get it down there, there's signs as no vehicles are allowed around there. Must have been a big clue that there was no other cars about.

Most have been a pretty weak H/B to push it that easily.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Badwolf
It's a shame that the tram driver didn't employ the Dutch method of dealing with parked cars obstructing the tram tracks and simply barge it out of the way.

In the early 80s, when there was a serious problem with overnight parking on and around tram tracks in Amsterdam, a vintage and rather down at heel tramcar was brought out first thing and driven around the routes 'persuading' illegally parked cars out of the way. The problem soon disappeared.

The woman who parked this Mini probably saw the tracks but simply did not care that her car would obstruct the trams. I see this all the time with people parking in marked bus stops. Almost without exception, I am met with abuse if it sound my horn in an attempt to get them to move so that I can get close to the kerb.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - jc2
Pity they just didn't tip it up on it's side! I was on a tram in Cologne once that was attacked by a VW-score tram nil-didn't even mark the paint-VW write off.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - NortonES2
For some reason that reminded me of the tactic used in Malaya re CT attacks on trains. A Land Rover modified to run on steel wheels operated in advance of the train to clear obstructions from the line, and delete Ct's as required. Heavy MG mounted, to dissuade.
>> In one of the last pictures, if that is her with the phone in her
>> hand say no more - arrogant bint.

Plenty of clips on you tube showing who she is, and it's part of her wheel arch trim, not a phone.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nottingham+tram+mini

youtu.be/hXVY8uAncsc?t=43s

She even gets a round of applause for stalling it when trying to pull away.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 22 Nov 14 at 16:30
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Dutchie
The old Dutch trams would have clouted her out the way.Then the bill for her regarding damage.Arrogant bint yes.>:)
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - IJWS14
The Oslo Tram network ran a series of adverts around this issue, featuring abused tram drivers and offending motorists.

They included one where the tram driver comes around a corner to find a man working under his car with his legs across the tram lines . . . . . . .
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Shiny
As a resident and worker in Nottingham who by the middle of next year will have suffered 3 years of gridlock due to the disastrous new tramline works, I would say How's the show feel on the other foot?
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 20:28
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Bromptonaut
>> As a resident and worker in Nottingham who by the middle of next year will
>> have suffered 3 years of gridlock due to the disastrous new tramline works, I would
>> say How's the show feel on the other foot?

Is there anywhere in Nottingham that's NOT being dug up? Herself has cause to visit NTU every few weeks - the A453 from M1/J24 towards the city causes much muttering. The other week though she was at the Uni of and arriving from Sheffield.

Journey little better.

>>
>> Is there anywhere in Nottingham that's NOT being dug up?

No.
the leftie leaders in Nottingham hate cars and those who own and use them.
>> the leftie leaders in Nottingham hate cars and those who own and use them.

Mmmm, of course, the A453 widening is a HA project an diddly to do with any lefties at all.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - idle_chatterer
We have trams (Melbourne), they're great, I have a service from 100yds outside my house to 100yds outside my office, no parking to consider, I can have a shandy after work and they run every 9 minutes and the return fare is under 4 quid (for all-day travel) and it's quicker than driving the 10 miles and way cheaper than parking. Not sure what's 'not to like' really.

There is an interesting (and not immediately apparent) etiquette for sharing the road (google 'hook turn' for instance). Basically trams have right of way and weigh 25 tons so you probably don't want to argue.

I don't recall Nottingham as being either very big or very congested, but I'd argue that re-introducing trams is not a left wing anti-car conspiracy but merely common sense in a modern city.

>>
>> I don't recall Nottingham as being either very big or very congested,

It's massive but it's really congested trying to get across the city is awful. Only go once or twice a year and try and go on the train to avoid the traffic. I think the city has grown but the road network hasn't.
>> >> the leftie leaders in Nottingham hate cars and those who own and use them.
>>
>> Mmmm, of course, the A453 widening is a HA project an diddly to do with
>> any lefties at all.

Try the centre of town, that has eft all to do with the HA

Try the fact they wanted to charge the big employers for their own parking spaces, that has eft all do with the with the HA

try the fact they deliberately set lights to cause jams, that has eft all to do with the HA.

>> Try the fact they wanted to charge the big employers for their own parking spaces,

And there's every reason for that. if you make car travel too easy in a city people use it and jam up the place at cost to those who NEED to drive

In micrososm example we had a site on edge of Lincoln's Inn Fields. Out of blatant self interest the facilities manager decided the dozen parking spaces were first come/first served. Result was young men running BMW's that meant they could barely afford the bus drove in for 07:30 starts.

Meanwhile my chairbound staffer with MS struggled to park at 08:00.

>> Meanwhile my chairbound staffer with MS struggled to park at 08:00.

Civil Service HR policy has nothing to do with Nottingham Councils policy. Thats a ridiculous analogy.
>> Civil Service HR policy has nothing to do with Nottingham Councils policy. Thats a ridiculous
>> analogy.

No, it exemplifies what happens when parking is a free for all. Turn our dozen parking spaces to 240 and it impacts on the surroundings too. Far better to leave cars at a proper P+R and finish the journey by bus, tram or bike - with cost o those driving in anyway and permits for those having a genuine need.
>> with cost o those driving in anyway and permits for those having a genuine need.

Your manager or HR could have provided her with a space and permit if she had a work or medical need and that failure STILL has nothing to do with Nottingham's anti car stance for ideological reasons, especially for companies that had ample spaces AND a proper policy for those with medical needs.

It was, and still is a ridiculous analogy
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 22:23
>> the leftie leaders in Nottingham hate cars and those who own and use them.

Nah, you've confusing Nottingham with Oxford.
>> >> the leftie leaders in Nottingham hate cars and those who own and use them.
>>
>> Nah, you've confusing Nottingham with Oxford.

They taught Oxford all they know.
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Manatee

>> Is there anywhere in Nottingham that's NOT being dug up? Herself has cause to visit
>> NTU every few weeks - the A453 from M1/J24 towards the city causes much muttering.

I have been to the centre of Nottingham several times this year, the most recent occasion being yesterday.

After a couple of very lengthy hold ups on the A453 I gave up with it and now use A46/A606/A52 from J21A, which is only 2 miles longer (destination near the station/Jurys Hotel).
 The double yellow lines are there for a reason - Harleyman
My home city (well I grew up ten miles from there) and I haven't got much that's nice to say about it.

Went up there a few months back to pick a bike gearbox up from a friend in Keyworth; stayed the night in town and really wished I hadn't bothered.
Latest Forum Posts