Motoring Discussion > Costco selling fuel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 12

Costco selling fuel - Dieselboy
Our local Costco (Liverpool) has set up a filling station. Current prices are 117.9 for unleaded and 122.9 for diesel. Both premium fuel, so the blurb would have us believe.

Yearly membership is £25 for the two of us. I'm not a fuel snob, usually use Asda fuel - so for me this means a win win situation. It will mean more Costco cakes though....
 Costco selling fuel - WillDeBeest
They do this already in the US. Not sure how the prices there compare with the mainstream.

Over here, if that's a 5p saving compared with a litre of Shell, you'd need to buy 500 litres a year to break even on the membership. Might work for some, if you had a branch near home or work, but I reckon most would do better with the Tesco fuel promotion.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 16:12
 Costco selling fuel - Runfer D'Hills
And Liverpool is the ideal place to trial it I guess. I mean, you're not going to want to spend a fortune on fuel for a car that's not yours are you?

;-)
 Costco selling fuel - Haywain
"And Liverpool is the ideal place to trial it I guess. I mean, you're not going to want to spend a fortune on fuel for a car that's not yours are you?"

Are you a speech-writer for Boris J?

;-)
 Costco selling fuel - Bromptonaut
How does Costco compare with Asda etc in Liverpool?

Last filled my 'lingo on Monday at Sainsbury Fosse Park at £1.239/litre. Cheapest locally is Sainsbo's at Weedon/Gambrel RD in Northampton - £1.259.
 Costco selling fuel - R.P.
Cheapest here is a Gulf outlet - very basic has a large grocery and hardware store, so fuel appears to be secondary. £1.20 for petrol.....not sure what diesel goes for...horrible smelly stuff !
 Costco selling fuel - Dieselboy
Hmm, good question. Diesel at Asda Aintree is 123.7 so hardly any difference. Certainly not enough to make it worth the trip to Costco, plus Aintree is on my way to work in Sunny Skelmersdale.
 Costco selling fuel - rtj70
Petrol at Tesco Extra in Stockport today was £1.209/litre. So if it stays like that when I fill up on the 1st December then subtract 16p litre voucher I'll have saved a bit paying about £1.05/litre. Hopefully less!
 Costco selling fuel - RattleandSmoke
120.9p at the two Tesco stores near me, there is a Tesco petrol station just at the end of my road but it is always so busy I avoid it and go to the one in Stretford, I think Ted does the same.

There is an ASDA about 2.5 miles away where is 119.7p but again it is a bit of a nightmare unless you're in the area.

I still put the same amount of fuel in as I always do, but what I am noticing is the tank keeps getting fuller and fuller now.

I wonder if fuel will get any cheaper? When I passed it in 2008 it was around 89.9p but then it quickly shot up to over £1 and until recently never went down.

RP do they put up fuel prices in the summer in the weekend where you are? I know when I have been to Benllech I have noticed in at weekend the cost of fuel suddenly rises about 7p a litre! Is now a Tesco and no longer a petrol station. Perhaps that policy just annoyed the locals so much!.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 19:39
 Costco selling fuel - R.P.
Profiteering young Rats....all the locals know where the cheap stuff is...:-)
 Costco selling fuel - ....
122.9 for diesel is still flippin' expensive.

At today's exchange rate diesel in Germany is selling at 98.9 for a litre (1,249€/litre) without resorting to selling your soul to a loyalty card. Germany is usually expensive in comparison to NL for diesel.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 19:47
 Costco selling fuel - Bromptonaut
>> 122.9 for diesel is still flippin' expensive.
>>
>> At today's exchange rate diesel in Germany is selling at 98.9 for a litre (1,249€/litre)
>> without resorting to selling your soul to a loyalty card. Germany is usually expensive in
>> comparison to NL for diesel.

Presume that as in France diesel is taxed less than petrol whereas in UK both are same. French diesel is usually same approx number in euro as in pounds in UK.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 20:11
 Costco selling fuel - ....
You're kidding right ! The German tax office is digging down the back of the sofa, didn't you see Germany avoided recession at the end of the last quarter by 0.1%

This is an old link (2012) but things are no better in 2014:
tinyurl.com/7xcnfod - link to spiegel.de

You are correct in diesel is lower than petrol but that is because road tax for diesel is about double that of petrol. You need to do about 25k kms/year to break even with diesel.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 20:49
Latest Forum Posts