Motoring Discussion > Heavier trucks coming Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 14

Heavier trucks coming - Dave
... to Sweden. The road agency are currently assessing various 'transport routes' (roads), prior to an increase of max truck weight from 60 tons to 74 tons, and max length increase from 25m to 32 metres.

Will save the environment (as usual) and money. Although I don't suppose it will be reflected in the rates I get from DHL.
 Heavier trucks coming - Fullchat
Something like this?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-20318649
 Heavier trucks coming - Armel Coussine
Perhaps someone will be able to post a shot of the sinister huge truck trying to kill Dennis Weaver in the paranoid movie 'Duel'. You only ever see the driver's right arm, but it puts the fear of God into you. Brilliant movie. A full-sized Mack artic is a seriously impressive beast.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 16:49
 Heavier trucks coming - Robin O'Reliant
Drivers would need higher viz jackets to operate one of those over here.

As for Dual, I always thought it would take a crap driver to be unable to outrun a truck on those twisty roads they were on.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 17:06
It isn't as easy as you might think actually R O'R.
I tried to add that old American cars on wet twisty roads demand a fairly cautious approach. I've been there, in the seventies, and with bald tyres. The big trucks were passing me easily.

Of course they have about eighteen gear ratios and can wind up to very high speeds, 100mph or more. And the Weaver character in Duel is a wimp, a typical US mimser, until the iron enters his soul.
 Heavier trucks coming - Harleyman
>> I tried to add that old American cars on wet twisty roads demand a fairly
>> cautious approach. I've been there, in the seventies, and with bald tyres. The big trucks
>> were passing me easily.
>>
You're quite right AC. That old pick-up of mine handled like a half-inflated airbed; it wasn't till I'd actually driven it "in a sprited manner" that I realised that all the tyre-squealing common to American films of that era is in fact largely for real, and also achievable under what we would call quite restrained driving.

I find it interesting that in the USA people seem to take a different approach to collisions involving heavy trucks, and indeed accidents on railway crossings than we do; effectively, the damn thing's big enough to see so it's your stupid fault if you get in its way.
 Heavier trucks coming - sooty123

>> Of course they have about eighteen gear ratios and can wind up to very high
>> speeds, 100mph or more. And the Weaver character in Duel is a wimp, a typical
>> US mimser, until the iron enters his soul.
>>

Never seen one ton it, but I've seen them doing about 85 mph on the I40.
 Heavier trucks coming - Zero

>> Never seen one ton it, but I've seen them doing about 85 mph on the
>> I40.

Ditto on the Northern side of the Mojave, I was doing 75 on I15 and got overtaken by a laden stone truck with two laden stone trailers. Must have been doing at least 85. As it passed the rear vortex draft added another 5mph to my speed!
 Heavier trucks coming - John Boy
Here's the link you wanted, AC.
www.stlouisdumptrucks.com/Duel/index.html
 Heavier trucks coming - Dave
Stone truck and trailers? What, like the flintstones? Could you see the drivers feet underneath?
 Heavier trucks coming - Zero
>> Stone truck and trailers? What, like the flintstones? Could you see the drivers feet underneath?

Ho Ho Ho. yeah at 85 mph those feet were really moving.
>> www.stlouisdumptrucks.com/Duel/index.html

That's the one, thank you JB.

What a sinister monster.
 Heavier trucks coming - John Boy
>> What a sinister monster.

Absolutely! Sometimes I wish I had a car old and ugly enough to paint like that.
 Heavier trucks coming - legacylad
Earlier this year I had the good fortune to enjoy a ski road trip from BC down through Montana, Idaho & Nevada. Pretty sure that in some of those states the trucks were exceeding 75mph out on those long stretches in the back of beyond. I think the truck speed limit in Nevada was 75, but I could be wrong. We rarely exceeded that as our Toyota_Tundra was sucking gas at a prodigious rate.
Latest Forum Posts