Motoring Discussion > Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 18

Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - SteelSpark
...I wish

While daydreaming the other day, I got to wondering what would happen if I went into a car showroom and asked to test drive a very expensive car, say a Murciélago or even something more expensive.

How does it work when looking at those sorts of cars? Do the dealerships take steps to make sure that you can afford it? If so, what?

Also, what if you try to arrange with an estate agent to view a £3 million house? Do they make any checks to filter out time wasters?

Just interested...and it will help to make my daydreaming more realistic...
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - movilogo
Arrive in a Bentley and you have a good chance of test driving it :)

Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - Zero
yes you get qualified first. Also you dont go and see a very expensive new car. The advisor brings it round to you.
>> yes you get qualified first. Also you dont go and see a very expensive new
>> car. The advisor brings it round to you.

How do they qualify you (for cars and houses)?
All sales like this are qualified. Series of careful questions. Bringing it to "sirs home" is part of the qualification.

If your buying a multimillion pound house, they will come to your home to discuss your requirements (and check you out). Houses are a bit different tho, you need to put down a large deposit, typically 100-250k or more. Having that amount to freely put in escrow soon sorts out the men from the boys.
>> All sales like this are qualified. Series of careful questions. Bringing it to "sirs home"
>> is part of the qualification.
>>
>> If your buying a multimillion pound house, they will come to your home to discuss
>> your requirements (and check you out). Houses are a bit different tho, you need to
>> put down a large deposit, typically 100-250k or more. Having that amount to freely put
>> in escrow soon sorts out the men from the boys.

You wouldn't put down a deposit just to view the house though, so how do they qualify you for viewing? Same as with the car, careful questions?

What if you have just come into a load of money (lottery, inheritance)? I expected that they would just want to speak to somebody at your bank.

So, if you walked into this place

tinyurl.com/33vtsxe

the likelihood is that they wouldn't let you test drive until they saw your house?
If you passed an instant lookover and a chat maybe.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 20:01
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - Old Navy
When I bought my Ceed I was given a demonstrator with a "bring it back before we close" no questions, no home visit. I must have an honest face. :-)

They did have my Focus in their car park though.
it was a ceed, who the hell will steal that?

He was probably hoping you wouldnt return and he could keep the focus.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 20:23
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - DP
You need bottle and a quick tongue. This is a friend of a friends hobby. He will go out on a weekend and blag test drives in supercars. And he estimates about a 1 in 3 success rate. He's been out in Ferraris, Porsches, Astons, TVRs, Nobles, Bentleys, you name it.
A smartly dressed mid 40s male with an expensive watch and shoes. And more front than Southend! :)
Last edited by: DP on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 20:12
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - crocks
>>So, if you walked into this place?
>> tinyurl.com/33vtsxe

Don't turn up in a car with L plates.....even if it has Lamborghini orange stripes. :-)
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - Iffy
Times have changed, but the actor Michael Caine tells a story that in the 1960s Jack Barclay in Berkeley Square, Mayfair, refused to sell him a Rolls-Royce because he was not the right sort.

He wasnt, cads buy Bentlies.
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - legacylad
Several years ago...actually about 14 to be precise, I made a serious enquiry about a 3 year old M5. The dealer prefered to come to my home, which he did one Sunday afternoon. In attendance was his mate, the ££ chappie with all the purchase documents. After a very limited 15 minute test drive (allegedly, they had to show the car to another potential buyer that afternoon) the pair of them put the screws on me to place a large deposit. I was interested in their sales patter, but wearying after 30 minutes, and taking a dislike to them, turned the tables by saying that they had to leave because I had a Ferrari arriving for a test drive shortly and the M5 was 'in the way'.
If it was not for these two numpty's, I would very probably have bought the car.
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - henry k
>> Times have changed, but the actor Michael Caine tells a story that in the 1960s
>> Jack Barclay in Berkeley Square, Mayfair, refused to sell him a Rolls-Royce because he was not the right sort.
>>
IIRC Mike Hailwood and another top driver visited MB on the A4 Great West Road at Brentford.
Both were wearing jean etc and were " not treated as potential customers"
They left and bough Citroen SMs
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - movilogo
Somewhere I read to buy a Ferrari from Ferrarri showroom, you should already own another Ferrari! That doesn't say how you get your first Ferrari though :-)

Porsches are easy to test drive. Lots of garages sell them and they are not too expensive, unless you're buying brand new 911. They are no more that exclusive.

Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - madf
I had had the money to buy a Murcielago - and my back could perform teh contortions to get in and out - and I was stupid enough to want one,- the vendors would have to do my bidding .. or I would buy summat else.. ( A Fiat 500?)
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - Skoda
Could you take a test drive in a Lexus IS250, and test drive it to the porsche dealer's for a test drive of a 911 GT3 or something conspicuously expensive, then finally rock up at the Lambo dealers, insult the poor salesman's choice of shoes and take out one of their finest and try and get a test drive of something (/one?) better.

Pain in the backside to get them all back to the original dealers. I guess you could just phone them up in turn "no, it was a bit beneath me. I've left it at the porsche / lambo dealers for you to collect, i now have a proper car from the nice chap there, thanks".
 Going to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago - Statistical Outlier
A friend of mine has the use of a private plane. Nothing fancy, a four seat single prop Cessna (?) thing. Still, we wondered if he might be able to get a good test drive by asking them to meet him at the airfield as he 'had a few hours free and was considering an [insert expensive car here]'?

Don't think he's actually tried it yet. If he does I'l report back.
Latest Forum Posts