Motoring Discussion > New Range-Rover. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 46

New Range-Rover. - Ted

Ugh !

Ted
 New Range-Rover. - Skoda
Toyyyyyyssssss. Lots of shiny stuff to play with.
 New Range-Rover. - Old Navy
Posh Becks as a design consultant says it all.
 New Range-Rover. - Iffy
...Ugh !

Ted...

Ted,

The fact that a mature gent of discerning taste such as yourself doesn't like this car means it will do brilliantly in its target market.

New Range-Rover. - Zero
Looks like someone stepped on it while it was in the oven,

So Vicky is involved? No wonder its skinny and pouting.
 New Range-Rover. - Ted

I expect I'll be seeing plenty, living on a Man United ret-run and not far from the Alderley Edge/Hale Barns routes into the City .

The windows seem to be about 6 inches deep !

Ted
 New Range-Rover. - Ted

Here it is......You can stand next to it and see across the top, it looks about the same height as my Note !

tinyurl.com/3xutfdz

Ted
 New Range-Rover. - legacylad
Just watched the embarrassing video.
As of now, 'friday night is vomit night'.
 New Range-Rover. - rtj70
Are we meant to believe they really asked for her help designing the interior?!!? Yeh right.
 New Range-Rover. - Lygonos
"Our favourite spice girl.."

Meena Patak's better than any of those vacuuous leather muppets.
 New Range-Rover. - Boxsterboy
Surely Land Rover must realise how many people or potential customers are lauging at them for having Victoria Beckham 'design the interior'?

And who on earth is 'George Lamb' when he's at home??
 New Range-Rover. - VxFan
>> And who on earth is 'George Lamb' when he's at home??

tinyurl.com/2v2jj8b

;o)
 New Range-Rover. - swiss tony
>> >> And who on earth is 'George Lamb' when he's at home??

son of Larry Lamb

www.toonhound.com/toytown.htm

;o)
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 3 Jul 10 at 21:32
 New Range-Rover. - BiggerBadderDave
"I expect I'll be seeing plenty, living on a Man United ret-run and not far from the Alderley Edge"

Last time I was in John Lewis, Cheadle Hulme I counted seven as I drove down one aisle of the car park.
 New Range-Rover. - rtj70
I saw quite a few today when there earlier BBD. Only one Ferrari spotted though (a pale grey colour). Quite busy there actually but the sales at JLP are on.
 New Range-Rover. - Tooslow
Now you know what killed Spen King...

JH
 New Range-Rover. - MD
Shallow windows and shallow 'stars'. Lord help us.
 New Range-Rover. - Ted
Personality, stardom...... all comes easy today....you don't need talent in most cases.

Larry Lamb ? Wasn't that the puppet that the rather nice lady vent, who's name I forget, used to have a hand up the bottom of ? Not the Toytown one.

Ted
Last edited by: silence of the cams on Sat 3 Jul 10 at 22:05
 New Range-Rover. - Bromptonaut
Ted

Are you thinking of Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop??
 New Range-Rover. - Ted

That's the one !
I think she threw a seven recently.

Ted
 New Range-Rover. - Bromptonaut
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shari_Lewis

Not sure I understand 'threw a seven'
 New Range-Rover. - Armel Coussine
I haven't had one in my way yet. Still just boring old huge Volvos and Audis and BMWs. And Mercedeses and Lexuses and old Range Rovers of course. Always a relief to see a white van. Sometimes you can tuck in behind one like an ambulance-chasing lawyer and let it blow the fat waddlers into the weeds for you.

As soon as one of these slinky new Range Roverettes gets in my way I will scream the place down, never fear. It won't be long I'm sure.
 New Range-Rover. - Dwight Van Driver
I just about wet myself larfin when I read that Range Rover has appointed Skelator (aka Posh) the wife of Derek as Creative Design Executive for the new ultra light weight special edition.

Therefore will the new vehicle be a bag of bones and have headlamps 36 inch diameter in black glass?????

Amazes me just what the hell does she know about motor vehicle?

dvd
 New Range-Rover. - Bagpuss
Looks like a rip-off of the Ford Edge to me. The car, not the untalented ex-spice girl.
 New Range-Rover. - teabelly
I can't imagine that empty headed stick insect will have any proper design input. She may be able to choose some interior colours or materials but I'd say that would be it.

Saw some hideous body kitted range rover today. In white.
 New Range-Rover. - Iffy
A lot of negatives on here about Ms Beckham.

Like it or not, many in the target market for this car will see her involvement in a positive light.

There are not many people who can afford to pay £60K for a shopping trolley.

What the likes of us think who can't afford the car doesn't matter to those selling it.
 New Range-Rover. - Armel Coussine
Quite right ifithelps. I don't share this harsh line on poor little Posh. Looks a shy girl to me. In fact I think the Beckhams are a sympathetic couple. You can't blame them for accepting the extravagant rewards their talents, well managed, have brought them. Unless of course you would have turned them down contemptuously or signed them over to a homeless charity.

Hands off sweet little Posh'n'Becks!
 New Range-Rover. - Iffy
...Hands off sweet little Posh'n'Becks!...

The son of a friend has just come back from being shot at in Afghanistan.

A few celebs make goodwill visits to our boys, and they don't all do it for publicity.

One of those is David Beckham.

I'm told the soldiers took to him as a good bloke, and were very impressed when he asked to go out on patrol - a proper 'every chance of being blown to bits patrol'.

Not many guests take their visit that far, so hats off to Beckham.

My pal's son has returned unscathed and he's not due to go back for a while.

But I'm told he's not quite right mentally - his parents are hoping a few weeks in blighty will settle him down.

The effect on the mental health of our boys is not something I'd thought about.

Yet another good reason to support Help for Heroes, or your chosen forces charity.

www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

"Practical, direct support for our wounded' it says.

I like the sound of that.
 New Range-Rover. - Manatee
>> Saw some hideous body kitted range rover today. In white.
>>

Precisely. And the WAG who drives that will only be happy that Mrs Beckham has "designed" the new one.

Whether LR can hang on to their traditional constituency while pulling off this stunt remains to be seen, but this is only really a development from the introduction of the RR Sport, the darkened windows, and the 20"+ wheels some time ago.

The risk for them is the classic repositioning error - that they fail to capture enough of their new target market and lose the old one in trying. When that happens a company can sink like a stone.
Where is there more profit, WAG's shopping trolleys, or horse box dragers?
>> Where is there more profit, WAG's shopping trolleys, or horse box dragers?
>>

Depends whether they can "extend" into lower price/ higher volume segments when they have established the necessary degree of desirability. Also a dangerous game as Burberry discovered a few years ago.

Where they will definitely be in the cart is if the mainstream products don't continue to cut the mustard in the 4x4 and/or moneyed family car markets. Fashion is just that - it's only a matter of time before you're out of it!
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 16:49
I bet they sell more "Urban tractors" than "Horse box tugs".
 New Range-Rover. - R.P.
You're more likely to see a Disco towing a horsebox than a Rangie.
>> You're more likely to see a Disco towing a horsebox than a Rangie.
>>

Certainly for a newer one. I included "moneyed-family" car and "4x4" markets - maybe better described as "prestige" at one end of the scale, where they compete with BMW, Jaguar, Audi saloons/estates as well as Q7/X5 and "utility" at the other which runs from Defenders through to Shoguns. Freelander is also a prestige choice, being a good bit dearer like for like than similar sized offerings from VAG/Honda etc. Discovery can fit in either camp.

Fashion certainly exists in those segments, but neither is the same as the "designer" market in my judgement - if they become too synonymous with that, they run a very big risk IMO by neglecting their heritage - when the WAGs are bored with they've nowhere to go.

A dissimiliarity between the car market and the handbag market is that car makers need volume, unless they can charge a very high price indeed; and you need very good marketing indeed to maintain "exclusivity" and volume together.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 17:33
 New Range-Rover. - IJWS14

>> Amazes me just what the hell does she know about motor vehicle?
>>
She does not need to konw anything about motor vehicles . . . .

She does know about their target market. . . . . .

Clarkson summed it up very well last night.
 New Range-Rover. - Ted

>> Not sure I understand 'threw a seven'

Died.........went to heaven.

Not recently though...1998...doesn't time go by ?

Ted
>>
 New Range-Rover. - Ted

I'm with Armel. No critism at all of the Beckhams. i don't imagine she'll have had any input...just a name on the box.
There doesn't seem to be any scandal attached to her lifestyle, she seems a good mum and wife and David can still put the ball exactly where he wants it on the pitch. pity he wasn't available to play against the Jerrys......Might have inspired the rest !

My original ugh was purely on the exterior design.

Ted
I have no axe to grind regarding the Beckhams, as far as I know they are law abiding and pay their taxes, good on 'em.

Land Rover's marketing department is playing with fire though. This has the whiff of one of those brainwaves the chairman has in the bath. A possible case of HiPPO - Highest Paid Person's Opinion.
 New Range-Rover. - R.P.
Well hopefully it'll sell like hot cakes, especially abroad - recently LR's Business Plans seem to have taken off. We need the jobs and dollars.
Amen to that. It would be a disaster if Jaguar - Land Rover manufacturing went west, or east for that matter.
 New Range-Rover. - Iffy
Manatee,

I think you over-estimate the marketing risk.

The Range Rover is increasingly no more than a Chelsea tractor.

You rarely see one with a tow bar.

People buy Discos and Defenders for that.

Those buyers have not turned their backs because of the Range Rover Sport, and I can't see them doing so because of this latest version.

I hope you're right ifi - they aren't bound to drop the ball in their traditional markets, and/or they may just be having a tentative toe in the water with the "designer" angle.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 19:10
 New Range-Rover. - -
In the all important export markets some posh British totty association won't do any harm at all, they won't know she's not really a sloan, she looks the part pout and all, it'll sell to the Paris's of the world.

They've lost the working vehicle war to the likes of Toyota and Nissan in harder climes, they have to emphasise the exclusivity of the plusher versions to those who care about such things.
 New Range-Rover. - Fursty Ferret
I hearby push that James May's fantastic rename be using in future (any chance of getting it in the swear filter?)

Wayne Wover. *sniggers*
 New Range-Rover. - DP
>> The Range Rover is increasingly no more than a Chelsea tractor.

I agree, but it's still got it in terms of capability. Have a look in Evo magazine this month. They subjected a showroom standard Rangie TDV8 (as it left the factory, apart from optional dealer fit sump guard and knobbly tyres) to a punishing 3 day off road excursion across some of the toughest passes in Wales, and concluded it is just as capable, if not more so off-road than its 40 yr old ancestor.

This is what has always impressed me about the Rangie. You look at a Defender and to a lesser extent the Disco, and they have a slightly utilitarian look and feel, so you kind of expect the off road ability. The Range Rover is a well equipped, refined, smooth, plush, fully loaded limo, but it's still unbelievably capable at what it was originally designed to do. A perfect example of a product that has evolved and got better and better with it.

I don't like 4x4s, but I have so much respect for the Range Rover that I would almost certainly have one in my lottery win garage. ;-)
Last edited by: DP on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 16:05
In parts of the world where your life can depend on the reliability and capability of your 4X4 Toyota rules. A bling Chelsea tractor, no thanks.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 16:47
 New Range-Rover. - Iffy
...> The Range Rover is increasingly no more than a Chelsea tractor... but it's still got it in terms of capability...

Good point, I should have said the Range Rover is increasingly seen as no more than a Chelsea tractor.

As regards a Toyota for when your life depends on it.

Happily, I live in a part of the country where running water and other mains services are reasonably reliable.

So what do I choose, a Toyota Hi-Lux (whatever that might be) or a Range Rover?

Mmm, that's a hard one.

Latest Forum Posts