Motoring Discussion > Lamborghini burnout Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 21

Lamborghini burnout - John Boy
tinyurl.com/kemck3b
 Lamborghini burnout - Zero
quote:

He claims: “The spark plugs fitted worked at too high a temperature and created the risk of fire.

“The fire was caused by the ignition of fuel. Such ignition could not have taken place unless the fuel system was not intact or the spark plugs were not properly adjusted or fitted.

Huh?
 Lamborghini burnout - Fullchat
'Blew up'?

Just looks like it caught fire to me.
 Lamborghini burnout - rtj70
How long should the service take?

The article says: “On December 19, 2012 Mr Hunt delivered the vehicle to the defendant’s garage on School Road, North Acton."

Then: “On April 5, 2013 Mr Hunt, by his son, attended the garage to collect the vehicle."
 Lamborghini burnout - Boxsterboy
I knew those Muiras were hot but ....
 Lamborghini burnout - Armel Coussine
When I first knew herself, her late mother lived in a flat in Ladbroke Gardens, near the top of the Ladbroke Grove hill. Another flat in the house was occupied by the model Twiggy, whose boyfriend, a sort of hustler called Justin de Villeneuve, quickly acquired a Lamborghini Miura that used to park outside. I often squeezed my Citoen Dyane in next to it.

The Miura looked tasty if that was your taste, but I don't think it was a very good car even for a mid-engined Lamborghini. It could go very fast but had sudden violent oversteer that scared some owners and sent others up trees... I think the nose could lift under some conditions too. They were crap at aerodynamics back in the day, very hit-or-miss.

If it takes a racing driver to go fast in it without coming to grief, it's not really suitable as an off-the-peg road car seems to me.
 Lamborghini burnout - Slidingpillar
He claims: “The spark plugs fitted worked at too high a temperature and created the risk of fire.

“The fire was caused by the ignition of fuel. Such ignition could not have taken place unless the fuel system was not intact or the spark plugs were not properly adjusted or fitted.

Utter, utter codswallop. It is true the plugs are either colder running, correct, or hotter running.

Too cold a plug and they are out of the self cleaning range and you get problems with fouling as any deposits are not burnt off. Too hotter running and the primary risk of holing a piston - or 12. But all of this happens inside the engine.

Something like that though is probably caused by a fuel leak.
>> Something like that though is probably caused by a fuel leak.

Supercars need very frequent servicing and fettling, and their engines are complex and delicate. Trouble usually is that owners can't be bothered to send them to Italy every month or two, and get chaps round the corner to do it. But these aren't Triumph TR3s or souped-up Cortinas, they're another sort of thing altogether and most chaps round the corner will not be gentle or meticulous enough. So petrol will spray onto the hot exhaust one day and Bob's yer Uncle. Better have damn good insurance.
 Lamborghini burnout - madf
and they are out of the self cleaning range and you
>> get problems with fouling as any deposits are not burnt off. Too hotter running and
>> the primary risk of holing a piston - or 12. But all of this happens
>> inside the engine.
>>
>> Something like that though is probably caused by a fuel leak.
>>

IIRC weber carbs?

So float levels wrong, fuel escapes from the float chamber and trickles onto exhausts

Easy thing to do: I recall the DCOEs on my Lotus Elan.. setting the float levels was a pia.. and the MIURA has 3 times the number of cylinders than the Elan had.. so lots more float chambers... so more chance of getting it wrong...One mile's driving would have warmed teh exhaust enough to start ignition.
Last edited by: madf on Fri 28 Nov 14 at 13:38
With Weber or Dellorto carbs, you need fuel flow, but not much pressure as if you do have too much, fuel levels rise. For this reason, most aftermarket conversions have a fuel pressure regulator set to something like 2.5 psi.

Would be simple to add one in a place where it was mostly hidden.
>> Another flat in the house was occupied by the model Twiggy, whose boyfriend, a sort of hustler called Justin de Villeneuve, quickly acquired a Lamborghini Miura that used to park outside.

I remember seeing that car, when I lived in Arundel Gardens, the next street. One of my neighbours was a chauffeur and he was very upset when he saw it there covered in snow. I was more interested in my first four-wheeled transport - a Morris 1000 pickup truck.
 Lamborghini burnout - BobbyG
Are these not the family behind the Taxtherich youtube videos of supercars doing drifting in the lands of their estate?
 Lamborghini burnout - Fenlander
>>>When I first knew herself, her late mother lived in a flat in Ladbroke Gardens, near the top of the Ladbroke Grove hill. Another flat in the house was occupied by the model Twiggy, whose boyfriend, a sort of hustler called Justin de Villeneuve, quickly acquired a Lamborghini Miura that used to park outside. I often squeezed my Citoen Dyane in next to it.

Funny how these little asides bring back dormant memories AC. In that period F Snr was dealing and one of his weekly Friday calls (after Bermondsey market), with me riding shotgun/warden lookout every time I could, was to the Westbourne Grove shops just along from those flats... where the toilets and parked post office vans were in that broad bit of road.

De Villeneuve was obviously well known in the area. No disrespect to the guy but what a chancer. Boxers stooge, hairdresser, agent (for Twiggy mainly), photographer, interior designer... whatever you wanted he could be it. The fact his name was actually Nigel kind of indicates his ambitions in itself. Even his daughter now refers to that period as him 'duckin and diving' around London.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 11:22
"A short stroll down Westbourne Grove 1971-2" - a page of photos going east from the junction with Kensington Park Road:
tinyurl.com/owjojrl
>> "A short stroll down Westbourne Grove 1971-2" - a page of photos going east from
>> the junction with Kensington Park Road:
>> tinyurl.com/owjojrl
>>

Apart from the cars and the shop names very little has changed since those photos. Apart from the property ptices...

Seeing the Wavy Line shop brings back memories - they used to be everywhere.
>> Apart from the cars and the shop names very little has changed since those photos.

Quite right. That's been a main drag of my manor for more than half a century off and on, and for 36 years straight until three or four years ago. I was there when those photos were taken. Hasn't changed much at all really.
 Lamborghini burnout - IJWS14
If he's had a fire extinguisher and used that instead of walking around with his arms out it might not have been so bad.

I presume he wasn't the one taking the photos but same principle applies if he was.

If I could afford a Lambo, especially a rare one, I would definitely have a fire extinguisher or two in it.

Something like the lambo justifies a plumbed in fire extinguisher.

See www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fire-extinguisher-systems-plumbed-in although I'd be pretty sure you can get the same products for a lot less.

My three wheeler (value roughly £35000) always carries a normal extinguisher, as plumbed in only really works when you have an engine cover/bonnet. And the lambo is/was worth quite a bit more.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 28 Nov 14 at 09:10
Ah yes, but a plumbed-in fire extinguisher is not 'original' so he wouldn't win any Concours D'Elegance and the value of the car would be diminished ...
 Lamborghini burnout - neiltoo
It's certainly diminished now.
 Lamborghini burnout - Ted

>> If I could afford a Lambo, especially a rare one, I would definitely have a
>> fire extinguisher or two in it.
>>
>>

Same with a Beko fridge !
>>
 Lamborghini burnout - JohnM{P}
I remember reading in CAR magazine late 70s/early 80s that the Lambo engines were well known for spitting back, setting fire to the carbs. - the accepted method to deal with this was to floor the accelerator immediately and hope that enough cylinders were firing for the revs to rise and suck the flames out...
Latest Forum Posts