Motoring Discussion > A1 closed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 11

A1 closed - sooty123
Seems there's been an explosion near Catterick

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30258728
 A1 closed - Old Navy
My guess is a sonic boom which no one wants to admit to causing, or are embarrassed because they don't know who caused it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 12:48
 A1 closed - Bromptonaut
Small hours of Saturday at massive barracks. Lots of squaddies out on the lash.

Some sort of high jinks they're not admitting even if they can remember once sober?
 A1 closed - Armel Coussine
>> Some sort of high jinks they're not admitting even if they can remember once sober?

One of the channels mentioned briefly last night 'a large number of detonators' being removed from some unspecified place by some unspecified authority.

Not sure what a 'detonator' is in the context though. A railway fog warning signal? An artillery shell primer? Both can make quite a loud bang, but it wouldn't sound like a big explosion from any distance at all.
 A1 closed - Old Navy
Possible, but the control of, and access to explosives and ammunition is pretty tight. Or was in my day. The media is reporting it was heard over a wide area.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 13:12
 A1 closed - Focusless
>> The media is reporting it was heard over a wide area.

Devon to Aberdeen if you believe the DM: tinyurl.com/nnnnhvq
 A1 closed - Bromptonaut
Obviously, squaddies mucking about would be local to Catterick. RAF say nothing scrambled but possibly exercises out to sea? Russian assets in international airspace?

IIRC there have been previous examples of sonic bangs travelling further than science says they should due atmospherics or whatever.
 A1 closed - Focusless
Quite possibly the nationwide bangs reported by the DM (and, to be fair, on twitter) are not related to the A1 bang, although it does seem like a bit of a coincidence. DM suggests re-entering space debris as a possible cause.
 A1 closed - henry k
>> IIRC there have been previous examples of sonic bangs travelling furthe
>>r than science says they should due atmospherics or whatever.
>>
The most obvious was the sonic boom from the French Concorde tracking down the English Channel which could be heard near Bracknell.
My colleague noted it many times but IIRC he said it was not a bang but muffled.
He is now in the clouds so I can no longer check it out.
 A1 closed - sooty123
No chance of it being a sonic boom from an exercise at that time. If it were QRA jets it would have been announced, it's not a state secret that they go quickly if needs be.
Seems an odd one, 8 people ring the police yet no signs anywhere of an explosion. But wouldn't be the first time people have got all excited and rung the police for something and nothing.
 A1 closed - Bromptonaut
>> The most obvious was the sonic boom from the French Concorde tracking down the English
>> Channel which could be heard near Bracknell.
>> My colleague noted it many times but IIRC he said it was not a bang
>> but muffled.
>> He is now in the clouds so I can no longer check it out.

I know what a sonic bang sounds like having witnessed them as a chils and at an airshow c1978. Latter was some anniversary for the Hunter and they'd go a dispensation to go SS.

In autumn of 88 or thereabouts walknig in the New Forest I heard one in late morning on both Saturday and Sunday - maybe the AF one mentioned above. Odd one since in France where I assume they're less fussy about dropping them over land.
 A1 closed - henry k
>> In autumn of 88 or thereabouts walknig in the New Forest I heard one in
>> late morning on both Saturday and Sunday - maybe the AF one mentioned above. Odd
>> one since in France where I assume they're less fussy about dropping them over land.
>>
In Alderney the sonic boom was a daily event that rattled the windows.
The guys there were familiar with AF ignoring the rules and going supersonic to save fuel.
You can even hear it in Kew :-)

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11154707.
Latest Forum Posts