Motoring Discussion > Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mr Moo Replies: 6

Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Mr Moo
I've got a 2007 Freelander 2, with a 2.2 Diesel engine. Started from stone cold, the engine at idle is probably marginally more noisy than when it's warmed through, but not by a lot. What I don't understand is why it's noisier under acceleration when it's cold. About 1/4 mile after leaving home, I come to a junction. Normal form is to approach at around tickover in 2nd gear and providing there's no need to stop, I apply a little throttle and accelerate away.

It's at this point where the engine emits a lot more noise than the same manoeuvre with a warm engine - a kind of metallic 'bark'. Clearly there's sufficient heat inside the cylinders to ignite the diesel, or I'd never get the thing started in the first place, so why the extra noise?
 Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Armel Coussine
Too slow for the gear probably. If you drop it into first gear it won't bark.
 Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Zero
>> I've got a 2007 Freelander 2, with a 2.2 Diesel engine.

Diesel engines are always noisier when cold, and they take much longer to warm up.

Thats just the way it is.
 Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Lygonos
Presumably the injected fuel vapourises less when cold and leads to less smooth detonation (oxymoronic I know).
 Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Armel Coussine
Another possible cause of the rough period may be too large a throttle opening. Running slowly in any gear, it's easier on the engine to open the throttle gently and progressively, I've always found. A light foot until it's spinning a bit.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 1 Dec 14 at 01:10
 Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Old Navy
My theory is that as a diesel engine uses compression to ignite (explode) the fuel, more compression is required in a cold engine and the ignition takes place a tiny bit later and is more violent. Modern electronically controlled engines seem to be a bit quieter when cold to me but my ears are getting a bit old. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 1 Dec 14 at 08:21
 Why is my cars engine noisier when cold? - Shiny
When cold, the start of injection is advanced causing the sound you describe.
Latest Forum Posts