Motoring Discussion > Buying from a dealer then changing your mind Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 39

Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - smokie
Daughter bought a used Ceed last weekend from a reputable Kia dealer. it was supposed to be available to collect on Tuesday, following a service and PDI. The service threw up something requiring replacement in the steering which meant it won't be ready till middle of next week, as a part had to be ordered.

She's now seen similar cars apparently quite a bit cheaper, (although there are also some considerably more) and is a bit concerned that the fact that something needed replacing at about 20k miles is an indication that it might not have been looked after well.

A £150 deposit would have held the car for her, but she paid in full using credit card and debit cards, this was because she expected the car to be ready and they said they needed three days to clear the money prior to collection. She is also part-ex'ing her Ibiza.

Can she drop out and expect a return of all money, or all money less deposit, or is she now committed? I can read the paperwork but that won't necessarily rteflect the legal position.

btw I think she will go ahead anyway, as she doesn't relish trooping around looking at more cars...so this is just theoretical
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Videodoctor
Because she has paid in full for the car,she has entered into a full binding contract with the dealer.She will have to go ahead with the deal.If she had only paid a deposit then she could back out but would lose her down payment.
Just be thankfull that the dealer is replacing something that was found on the 132 point check.They could have been dishonest about it and kept their mouths shut.
Car are mechanical things and unfortunately they go wrong.Its how your treated with getting the problem fixed that really matters.
Last edited by: Videodoctor on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 14:22
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Old Navy
Although the problem will be fixed under the warranty and the dealer will be paid to fix it, at least they seem to have done a decent check and service on the car. Sounds like a dealer to stick with.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - corax
>> The service threw
>> up something requiring replacement in the steering which meant it won't be ready till middle
>> of next week, as a part had to be ordered.
>> and is a bit concerned that the fact that something needed replacing at about 20k miles is an indication that it might not have been looked after well.

There is nothing in the steering that needs servicing, so unless the previous owner had been swinging it from lock to lock when stationary, theres not much potential for abuse. It may be a faulty track rod end or steering joint or a failed electric motor, components on new cars do fail, in fact some cars have a few niggles at low mileage which are sorted out under warranty, and then they're fine for thousands of miles. I don't think she needs to be concerned.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - NortonES2
Perhaps she should visit the dealer in person to a) find out what it actually is that may have failed; and b) check to make sure it's still in one piece, and not hors de combat. She might need someone knowledgeable to circumvent the usual line.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - -
I think we would all be interested to know exactly what's been found wrong.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Bellboy
this is the thing isnt it
if it was a ford or vw the part would probably be only a small distance away in the manufacturers spares depot and not in a far flung land
probably turn out to be a split pin for the track rod end eh?...........
The last time I needed a Ford part it came from Germany.

www.carpages.co.uk/kia/kia-warehouse-18-03-09.asp
let me explain better then Old Navy
if the ford part isnt in this country it comes overnight to the dealer you order it from and is usually delivered next day after lunch
im not knocking other manufacturers but lets get it in perspective,if they havent got a part in stock or its had a run on it then it has to come from further afield ie by big airy plane
if you read the original post this is obviously the case as the car is awaiting a part,not a man to fix it see
>> let me explain better then Old Navy

Ok, so part arrives Monday, (or Tuesday, weekend effect), Workshop booked solid on Tuesday, Job planned for Wednesday. That puts us half way through next week.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 16:21
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Manatee
A possible way round this is if time is of the essence in making the contract. You say she paid in full because the car was to be ready on Tuesday. If this was clear, then whether it's in writing or not it's part of the agreement which the dealer has de facto broken.

Whether you could establish that to the satisfaction of a court should the dealer not agree with you is another matter.

E&OE - I get my knowledge of the law from Rumpole of the Bailey.

Old Navy
cars sold money taken
any dealer worth his salt would make stricken car number 1 priority on ramp
dont know why im discussing this really its pointless isnt it
cars waiting a part due to being faulty whether its major or minor the part should be obtainable soonest
no iffs no buts
certainly puts a stain in your mouth if you bought it and havent yet driven it

for the record i never offer cars for sale unless checked and ready for sale
a dealer i know was prosecuted for offering a car for sale and when trading standards checked it over it had a part not complying with the road traffic act,makes you think doesnt it
I bow to your greater knowledge of the subject, Bellboy, I am a mere punter. :-)
im just saying how it is
im not looking for points :-)
No problem, and definitely no points! :-)
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - jc2
I'm astonished that they claim all that time to clear credit/debit cards.

Credit card will be OK immediately the authorization comes back.

Debit card will be checked with one phone call.
I bought my car with a debit card, as you say, phone check and done.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - movilogo
Legally, you're in a binding contract after deposit is paid.

Having said so, I got my money refunded from a dealer after paying deposit, because I changed mind and didn't like the car ultimately. The dealer did refund my deposit in full as a goodwill gesture.

Ironically that car was Cee'd too! I felt suspension on that specific car was too firm compared to other cars. Now that may be due to high miles that car raked up compared to its counterparts of similar age and dealer said there's nothing they could actually fix in the suspension.

Then I bought the Cee'd from a different dealer.

All Cee'ds are still under warranty and any major issue should be sorted under warranty.

You need to ask your daughter why she is not willing to take the car [if it gets fixed]

[1] just because she can find it cheaper elsewhere?
[2] she really lost confidence on the car?
Truth be known, she's seen a colour she prefers!! But the car could be a pile of poo. I'd already told her she was having this one, and would be happy with it, so this was just a theoretical question.

They told her what was up with it but she's a girl etc...

She is however going to try for a tank of gas due to the inconvenience of the failed pick up last week - we both took time off work to go and collect it but they didn't tell us till quite late on. Plus she can no longer get the one month road tax back on her old car, and she'd already changed the insurances and had some cost to temporarily put it back how it was. If you don't ask you don't get...
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - R.P.
Looking at it from another angle - the dealer has been honest and thorough enough to spot an correct a fault before she took delivery, better the dealer you know etc etc.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Iffy
I quite like the C'eed, but parts availability is just another small reason to stick with Ford.

And the Ford dealer took my debit card for the purchase price and released the car straight away.

No phone calls, just chip and pin and away you go.

Having said that, were I in Smokie's daughter's position, I'd sleep easy.

She's bought a decent car, and the dealer appears to be trying to do the job right.

>> I quite like the C'eed, but parts availability is just another small reason to stick
>> with Ford.
>>
Did you see my link, up the page a bit? The Kia dealer I use says 24 hours for almost anything.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 18:29
...Did you see my link, up the page a bit?...

Nope - and nor did this Kia dealer by the sound of it.

And did you see Bellboy's reply?

According to him, the Ford parts supply chain is quicker than Kia's, and so it should be given how long the Blue Oval's been flogging big numbers in this country.

Plus, if you buy a Ford part you get the fun of reading the German for the name of the bit on the box.

It's usually got twice as many letters as the English version.

Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - bathtub tom
Unfortunate about the tax, but couldn't she have pointed this out to the seller and asked about a courtesy car?

Hindsight IS a perfect science. :>)
Maybe Kia's parts operation isn't geared up to needing much apart from consumables.

...Maybe Kia's parts operation isn't geared up to needing much apart from consumables...

There's an argument for saying most modern cars won't need a lot else apart from consumables.

Except in this case.

And except in the case of the guy who smashed the rear light lens on the CC3.

I'm then grateful there's a Ford dealer in the town nearest to the caravan, and said dealer can get the bit within 48 hours.

Were I in a Kia, I would have had further to drive, and by the sound of it, longer to wait.

>> Were I in a Kia, I would have had further to drive, and by the
>> sound of it, longer to wait.

and maybe like Toyota's and Datsuns of 25 years ago you might not need parts other than consumables anyway.

I'd still like to know which part it needed and why.
...you might not need parts other than consumables anyway...

gb,

As I posted, this part was consumed by a blind farmer in large pick-up. :)

Smokie, when this is sorted out please tell us what the part is so that we can sleep easy at night!!
Of course I will...
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Skoda
I dunno if i'd choose one brand (say vauxhall) over another (say hyundai) because the vauxhall is more common.

My wee corsa when i had it, ate steering racks, had 2 under warranty and a bunch of other stuff all front suspension related. 2nd steering rack was on back order, car was off the road for 3 weeks. That's a real drag.

There was something else, drop link or something it must have been (before i was into cars so dont really remember / wouldn't have known anyway) it was over a week's wait.

Mirror glass was vandalised, that was over 3 days.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Dave
They're just spinning you a line. 132 point check and service? Yeah right, a wash and brush up, and don't forget to tick all those boxes on the 'check list' so the punter thinks that someone has lovingly gone over it with a fine tooth comb and checked the torque on every nut and bolt.

Waiting for a part for the steering? Ha, that's only one down from the 'problem with brakes' on the old 'it could be unsafe' line, and designed to squash any complaints about slow service.

Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered to get it through the system on time - or someone has crashed it after you paid.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 10:16
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - jc2
Most Ford parts are supplied overnight in the UK from their warehouse in Daventry.Anything not held there will come from Cologne(again overnight.) A VOR order(Vehicle Off Road) gets it even higher priority.Our local Ford storesman phones round other dealers in the area if he doesn't have a part before he phones Daventry.
>> Most Ford parts are supplied overnight in the UK from their warehouse in Daventry.Anything not
>> held there will come from Cologne(again overnight.) A VOR order(Vehicle Off Road) gets it even
>> higher priority.

All very good in theory, so why was my six month old Focus off the road for three weeks awaiting parts?

OK, I know the answer, Ford released the fix for a serious problem, (no recall), and every dealer in Europe ordered the part for the fix and Ford could not meet the demand.
Wow. It was the steering rack which was replaced - apparently during the service the mech noticed some play and decided a change under warranty was justified. They also renewed a tyre which I had thought was OK. Full service bill (incl £75 prep for sale) was nearly £500.

There appears to be nothing wrong with the car but in it's way this has set the alarm bells ringing a bit - but I'll have to keep schtum about it when you lot tell me what an old heap I've recommended my oldest spends her hard-earned on and why a Kia was always going to be a bad bet - she loves it!!!
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Skoda
How many dealers wouldn't even test the steering rack for play never mind fix it, if i were in your shoes i'd be feeling pretty chuffed right now that i've found that fabled "good" dealer ;-)

Glad to hear it's all been sorted.

Old heap? No way, thats a good recommendation.
my persoanal opinion would be to ask a local independant to stick it on his ramp and peruse for frontal lobotomy damage
The same crossed my mind BB but the deal is done, it drives fine and looks the part, and best of all, daughter is delighted.
 Buying from a dealer then changing your mind - Mapmaker
Car dealer selling car that is unroadworthy is illegal. Point this out, threaten to get TS in, and they'll cancel the deal.

That said, dealer seems to have done you well, sounds honest and competent!
Latest Forum Posts