Motoring Discussion > Dealer insults Car Deals
Thread Author: Videodoctor Replies: 71

Dealer insults - Videodoctor
Following on from previous discussions about car dealers,i would like to hear what was the most insulting thing a car dealer has ever said to you.
For example when i was looking at a £20,000 Honda Accord the dealer asked how i would be paying for it.I told him i would be buying it outright.In which case he replied "How can you afford to pay for it outright"?.

To say i was gobsmacked was an understatement.
I told him as long as he got the money on the pickup day then it was none of his business!.
Just because i dress in jeans and t-shirt doesn't mean i cannot afford a new car.
He should have kept his opinions to himself and i probably would have bought the car from him.
His attitude lost the sale.I went on to buy a Mondeo instead and had no trouble paying for it.

So have anyone on here had an dealer insults or attitude?
No naming the dealers please.

Dealer insults - Bill Payer
>> "How can you afford to pay for it outright"?.
>>
He's legally obliged to check due to money laundering regulations.

Perhaps he was going to offer an alternative funding scenario that (in his opinion) made more financial sense?
 Dealer insults - Videodoctor
>> >> "How can you afford to pay for it outright"?.
>> >>
>> He's legally obliged to check due to money laundering regulations.
>>
>> Perhaps he was going to offer an alternative funding scenario that (in his opinion) made
>> more financial sense?
>>
No it was more his attitude that he thought i couldn't afford it.I even started getting dressed up in a shirt and trousers just so that dealers would take me more seriously.
Anyway mine just an example.I want to hear of your experiences.
 Dealer insults - Armel Coussine
A salesman at Eurocars in Lancaster Gate thought fit, when I was collecting a new Dyane, to say he didn't think much of the Dyane.

He's entitled to his opinion of course and may have been right in a way. But what a galloping jumped-up ill-mannered little prat.

The workshop foreman at Marble Arch was another matter, a mustachoed Frog who always made the car go better.
 Dealer insults - Iffy
I was looking at a new VW Golf at the same time as another couple, who had the salesman's attention.

The three of them wanted to go inside to discuss a deal, which was fine, but I was insulted when the salesman insisted I get out of the car so he could lock it.

The car was outside, but within a couple of metres of the front door of the showroom, and easily visible from the inside of the building.

Taking the keys was only sensible, but surely the salesman could have left me with the car open?

Dealer insults - -
A chap i know who's not short of a bob fancied a 3 series for a change instead of his regular make, he didn't pass muster and was told to come back when he could afford one.

Had numpty sales bod looked outside and noticed the number plate on chaps car which reflects his leanings he (if he had an ounce) would have realised the plate was worth more than said new car.

Dealer insults - R.P.
When I was a twenty something whippersnapper I went to VW dealer looking to test drive and buy a brand new GTi (MK2-I think) - I had the cash. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to drive it as I wouldn't be used to its performance - I bought a 3 series instead, test drive allowed - the 3 series would have been a more challenging drive in those days...red braces were the only requirement then.
 Dealer insults - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
SWMBO went looking for a new Toyota. She did not have her potential trade in vehicle with her and asked for a no commitment ball park value - just to see if she could afford one. No, no and no from all concerned.

The final and bizarre response from the senior salesman was "what? do you think we are some back street garage"

We went elsewhere and bought a nice Hyundai with exactly the same caveat being proposed as a starter.
 Dealer insults - Manatee
It's a long time since I dealt with the motor trade, other than as a punter. Then, there were some decent types but many cynical and lazy ones. They tended to categorise customers, often before - or even instead of - speaking to them as 'time wasters', 'tyre kickers' etc. and another favourite comment was 'the customers are the biggest crooks in this game'.

In a VW dealer you were likely to hear 'they sell themselves, these, lad. Not like that Japanese carp - that's why they have to have all them extras'.

For 'Japanese' now read 'Korean'.

With attitudes like that they aren't going to help themselves or the customers. Perhaps not much has changed.
 Dealer insults - hawkeye
At an independent dealer in Guiseley near Leeds of a newish Citroen BX 14, "If you don't buy this car today, you're a fool." I was, and remain, that fool.

Mrs. H was so shocked at the turn of phrase she agreed to up the budget as we legged it out of there, and I got a BX 16 valve. Tee hee!
 Dealer insults - Bellboy
quick call the police
customer.........why?
because at what your paying your nicking it
 Dealer insults - bathtub tom
I went to buy a brand new Vauxhall from a Luton dealership (I've still never owned one) and the lad looked so down his nose at me I bought a Vitesse instead.

Went to pick up daughter's brand new MX5. Turned up in old Panda and clothes I was wearing to decorate.
"You can't park that there"
Oh what fun I had!
 Dealer insults - Falkirk Bairn
in 2001 my then 24 yr old son wanted a test drive of a new Golf GTi. Arranged on phone and he turned up in his current car (his mum's old car).............."the Golf GTi was not available". So he left after complaining to the "sales manager"

The following Saturday he turned up in his twin brother's brand new Celica, walked into the showroom and asked for a test drive of a Golf GTi "for his wife" as she still fancied one.
 Dealer insults - corax
This could form the basis of a TV programme, in the vain of 'cowboy builders'. Dress up like a tramp and enter a few car emporiums/palaces, with a secret vidcam, make a few enquiries and record the reactions. Do the same dressed in a suit.

Some salesmen may be able to work out a deal in a blink of an eye, but their perception of people based on what they wear is truly philistine.
 Dealer insults - sherlock47
>>>>Went to pick up daughter's brand new MX5. Turned up in old Panda and clothes I was wearing to decorate.
"You can't park that there"
Oh what fun I had!<<<<<<<

Similar thing for me. I chauffeured a friend to pick up his brand new Lexus 430. Abandoned the ( visual ) wreck of a BX on the forecourt at an angle. Just waiting for the verbals. We had some fun as the 'salesman' tried to sell every insurance based extra, GAP .... paint work protection.
 Dealer insults - Woodster
Billpayer -exactly what money laundering regulation makes a seller of anything legally obliged to check how you're paying for something??
 Dealer insults - Berisford
>> Billpayer -exactly what money laundering regulation makes a seller of anything legally obliged to check
>> how you're paying for something??
>>
I was wondering that too.
 Dealer insults - Manatee
The Money Laundering Regulations came into force in 2007. It is mandatory to undertake "customer due diligence" for transactions of €15,000 or more for regulated businesses, or for transactions in cash over the same sum in cash for any business as far as I know. Depending on the type of business the regulatory authority may be the FSA, the OFT, or HMRC.

Motor dealers will need to register with HMRC as they are "high value dealers" under the regs.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/your-role/resposibilities.htm

I don't think it's mandated to interrogate you before you even discuss the transaction though!
 Dealer insults - RattleandSmoke
Many many years ago in the early 90's I used to enjoy visiting car dealers so I could pick up the free brochures. My dad at the time a four year old Lada and we went to this Saab dealer. As we pulled in to the car park the security guard said "we don't sell cars you can afford here". My dad was huming especialy since he had a good job at the time - he just had better things to spend money on.

I myself always go to car dealers looking very scruffy and not once had any comments even when I nearly bought a Panda from FIAT in Stockport.
 Dealer insults - henry k
>>......It is mandatory to undertake "customer due diligence" for transactions of €15,000 or more for regulated businesses,
>>
Last month I went to my high street bank to deposit a cheque, from a major insurance company, for more than the above amount.
The cheque was from a cashed investment policy but it might have been from a car insurance payout ( the company also covers car insurance and is known to all here )

In spite of the cheque being on the paper with the compay logo etc, the first question was " Where did the money come from?. They scribbled my answer on the back and all was OK.
Last edited by: henry k on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 22:24
 Dealer insults - R.P.
Never had any trouble, handled huge transactions in the last 18 months including one hand written cheque from an insurance company for a six figure sum - tellers didn't bat an eyelid. I paid for the CRV by debit card, all that worried the sales chap was whether the PIN machine worked.
 Dealer insults - Fursty Ferret
henry:-

About 2 years ago (just as Northern Rock collapsed and the seriousness of the banking crisis hit) I needed to pay a substantial sum of money into my Nationwide current account. When asked where I got the money from, I told the cashier I withdrew it from the Barclays down the street as there was a big queue of people outside trying to get their money out.

Bankers DO NOT have a sense of humour.
 Dealer insults - R.P.
LOL - There were some bored friends who wanted to form a queue outside whatever bank they hated in particular - maybe not such a good idea....
 Dealer insults - Londoner
A few years ago, I worked for a major High Street Bank. As an employee, whenever I paid in cheques I had to write on the back where the money came from.

I just used to write "Proceeds from Wife's immoral earnings".

Nobody every queried it.
 Dealer insults - Bromptonaut
Small world Hawkeye, I lived in Guiseley until I was 20 (I'm an ex pupil of Aireborough Grammar School).

Until the TU series engine came along the BX14 was bit of a poor relation to the 16, never mind the diesels. Our neighbour in Guiseley had one in a cream/buttermilk colour. His wife never learned to let the suspension rise /settle before she drove off; very poor bargain for whoever had it next!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 23:03
 Dealer insults - rtj70
When we sold our house last December we got the solicitor to deposit the funds in our joint account electronically. No questions asked. Trying to use it to buy the next house was only slightly more complicated.

Despite having both Internet and telephone banking I found out you can only pay up to £10k using them. Anymore requires a trip to branch with ID because they need to fill in relevant forms etc. Even a deposit obviously breaks the £10k limit most of the time.

They also told me payment via CHAPS costs £25. And I should have paid this for the deposit and the rest of the house payment.... only nobody ever took the £25. Their mistake.

I can see the logic to questioning the withdrawal of money instead of depositing it.... you can pay in whatever but have to answer questions to get it back out in large sums.
 Dealer insults - Avant
"The Money Laundering Regulations came into force in 2007. It is mandatory to undertake "customer due diligence" for transactions of €15,000 or more for regulated businesses, or for transactions in cash over the same sum in cash for any business as far as I know."

It's worth mentioning that they have to do this only if they sell cars over 15,000 euros for cash - i.e. coins, notes or travellers' cheques.

Many dealers have a policy not to accept cash as defined above for over this amount, so as to avoid having to register. A sensible policy - how are they supposed to know when a guy in a sheepskin coat comes with a wad of notes whether they're laundered funds or not?

(Sorry - slight thread drift but it might be useful.)

Edit - money laundering is again the issue with depositing funds (RTJ's post above) and the banks' caution. If this sort of thing ever seems unreasonable, remember that the latest estimate of fraud committed each year in the UK alone is £30 billion.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 23:32
 Dealer insults - rtj70
>> money laundering is again the issue with depositing funds

Depositing the funds was easier than using them. I knew I should have bought a couple of Ferrari's or Aston Martin's instead ;-)
 Dealer insults - SteelSpark
Makes me laugh that a lot of the snootiness from some salesmen comes from some kind of "reflected glory" they get from feeling that they are in the same group as the people who buy the cars.

Same often goes for some staff (certainly not all) in expensive hotels and restaurants.

Because they have customers who buy spend a grand on a meal or 150 grand on a car, they somehow feel that they are part of the same lifestyle, and want to reinforce that by being rude to others if they get a chance (even though they are likely much further down the "financial ladder" than those they are rude to).

Then they pop onto the number 20 bus and head off to their bedsit in some suitably low rent district...
 Dealer insults - DP
>> Then they pop onto the number 20 bus and head off to their bedsit in
>> some suitably low rent district...

I agree with much of your post, but that part is not true. Any main dealer car salesman worth his/her salt will clear £40k a year. The exceptional ones (and they do exist) will be in six figure territory. As for transport home, that'll be whatever's on the demo fleet at the time. Which is nice, as you get a different car every few weeks which costs you nothing.

And most of the guys I know make a good few grand on top buying and selling the PXs.

Although it wasn't for me, personally, sales is an interesting game, and one of the few jobs where earnings are truly uncapped. A good salesman is not poor. Far from it. Like the printer salesman at work who went ballistic the other month because his monthly salary was £13k light. 72 hours a week, no social life, and he'll probably keel over with a heart attack at 40, but he is very, very good. Has a basic salary of about £15k PA, makes the company about £3 million in gross profit every year, and the standard commission rate is 10% of GP. You do the maths....
Last edited by: DP on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 08:56
 Dealer insults - Bagpuss
In the early nineties I visited a Honda dealership to look at the new CRX which was just being launched. Money was burning a hole in my pocket and I was looking for something interesting to buy.

There were a couple of CRXs so I sat in one, pressed all the buttons, then looked for a sales guy. For some reason they all seemed to ignore me, presumably my profile didn't fit their expectations for a potential Honda customer (I was in my twenties), so I went and asked one if I could have a brochure. Without saying a word he pointed to a shelf at the other side of the showroom. I went to the shelf and took a brochure. The sales guy came up to me, pulled the brochure from my hand, looked at it and then gave it back, saying "I wanted to check you hadn't taken two". That was the last time I've ever visited a Honda dealership.

A few weeks later I went to a BMW dealership and they were incredibly accomodating. Keys to the then brand new E36 3 Series Coupe for an extended test drive, discussions about trim options. I almost bought one but then decided on a Golf GTI 16V.
 Dealer insults - SteelSpark
>> I agree with much of your post, but that part is not true. Any main
>> dealer car salesman worth his/her salt will clear £40k a year. The exceptional ones (and
>> they do exist) will be in six figure territory. As for transport home, that'll be
>> whatever's on the demo fleet at the time. Which is nice, as you get a
>> different car every few weeks which costs you nothing.

Yeah, I was being a bit extreme to make a point. Mind you, for the restaurant and hotel staff it is very likely the case.

Still, 40K hardly puts any of those guys into the group they so desperately want to be part of.

For the few that actually do earn enough to be part of the same group as the customers (on a financial footing), the rate of obnoxiousness probably drops off heavily - you don't have to pretend to be wealthy once you are. :)

Dealer insults - Netsur
There is a Merc dealer near our house from where we bought Espadrille's A-Class.

Several years earlier I have gone in myself to look at an A-class to be met by a very snooty salesman who could barely be bothered t let me have a sit inside, wouldn't explain the various features etc. I walked out and bought something else- can't remember what.

The salesman who sold us Espadrille's car was a former technician and was very down to earth and very helpful. His towelling socked sales manager was the worst of the breed and if it hadn't been for the fact that we could not find a suitable alternative vehicle, I would have walked.
 Dealer insults - Redviper
The Vauxhall Dealer in Darlington that I take my Vectra to be serviced are always very accommodating, and even more so when I sat in the Vauxhall Monaro, “Just give us a shout if you need any help sir, cup of coffee/tea in the meantime?” I always have a wander round the showroom while waiting to pick up the Vectra after a service.

There was a Renault Dealer in Darlington that’s now gone, for half an hour I wandered round the new Laguna’s and not one could be bothered to even come up to me instead all just stood around chatting – TBH im glad the dealer is now shut, and I didn’t have to part with my heard earned on another shoddy Renault after 2 of them aged me 10 years – I was considering it – but I thought better after the whole Renault experience (owning and potentially buying)
 Dealer insults - helicopter
Turning the thread around slightly - A salesman compliment relayed to me by my Brother in Law

My B i L went to our local Honda dealership to test drive a CRV and dealt with the same salesman with whom I dealt when I bought my Accord.

B i L happened to mention my name whereupon the salesman immediately said - 'Oh yes Mr xxxxxx - he is a very good negotiator.'

That was the best compliment I have been paid in a long time.......
 Dealer insults - Badwolf
It's an ambition of mine, should I ever win the lottery (fat chance!), to go into my local Mercedes showroom dressed in denims, an old t-shirt and trainers with a rucksack on my back. I shall then enquire about the possibility of procuring a lovely, shiny new S-Class. Should there be any sniffiness from the salesman, I'll simply open my rucksack to reveal £80k in crisp tenners and tell him where to shove his car, and his commission.
Yes ive always wanted to do that, and If i did win the lottery then I probably would - no amout of money would make me change the way I dress and I certainly woulnt if it meant I had to change to buy a car or not.
 Dealer insults - DP
>> Should there be any sniffiness from the salesman, I'll simply open my
>> rucksack to reveal £80k in crisp tenners and tell him where to shove his car,
>> and his commission.

Either that, or go and buy your shiny new S-Class from somewhere else, and make the original dealer your first port of call when you collect it. And tell him you paid list! Preferably in front of his sales manager. :-)

Dealer insults - Badwolf
>> Either that, or go and buy your shiny new S-Class from somewhere else, and make
>> the original dealer your first port of call when you collect it. And tell him
>> you paid list! Preferably in front of his sales manager. :-)

Hehehehe. Like it! Somebody on my wavelength :-)
 Dealer insults - Dave_
>> make the original dealer your first port of call when you collect it

I've done that (sort of). Nosed around a new Mondeo estate about 10 years ago, interrupted a salesman on his computer who told me I couldn't have a test drive. Gave him a honk and a thumbs-up about a month later, sat in the traffic jam outside the Ford dealers in my shiny Y-reg Octavia. :-)
 Dealer insults - Bill Payer
>> open my rucksack to reveal £80k in crisp tenners

I think the money laundering regs mean it's illegal for them to take cash over a certain amount (and it's not that large a figure).

I've often wondered how those caravan dwelling persons procure their shiny new vehicles!

>>..shiny new S-Class. Should there be any sniffiness from the salesman..

There's a story on one of the MB forums about a potential buyer who called at a dealership and said he wanted to order an S Class. He never even got to a salesman - the receptionist told him they were all busy so he would have to wait. After some time he got fed up and left.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 17:32
 Dealer insults - Dave_
>> how [they] procure their shiny new vehicles

I was once approached by an elderly gentleman at a filling station, he was in a tweed jacket and trilby hat and was the passenger in a red '02 plate Transit pickup with greedy boards in the back and a ball-hitch towbar. I was driving a 2-week-old '03 plate Sprinter van in plain white. The old fella asked after the van's ownership and insurance status, and then offered me £4000 in cash to give him the keys and walk away.

I didn't go for it, but I would expect a proportion of van drivers would...
 Dealer insults - mikeyb
The money laundering laws tightened up a few years back. I dont think they need to know where it came from in the case of an electronic payment, but it has to be traceable i.e. back to your bank account.

A frined works as a conveyancer and she has to make various enquiries when someone wishes to purchase a property with a large deposit / or no motgage

A colleague was self employed and happened to come into a large sum of crisp folding ones - he had been saving for a new car, but the money had not strictly come through the books. Anyway, upon deciding on a Zafira he went to pay and produced a carrier bag with the total balance. Dealer was most twitchy and refused to accept - said they could only take 4K in cash and the rest would have to be paid through some other means, so he ended up having to put the money through friends and relatives accounts with each making payment to the garage.
 Dealer insults - Iffy
...so he ended up having to put the money through friends and relatives accounts...

Which is a common feature of a low-level money laundering operation.

Still, I take it this was a while ago, so I don't think you will all be going to prison.

>> low-level money laundering operation.

A hop-pickers' landlord from Kent
Turned up at the bank with the rent:
A JCB thing,
Two Rembrandts, some bling
And a thousand bags of cement.
 Dealer insults - L'escargot
I'm not bothered about any insults I might get from the salesperson. I'm there to do business with the dealership, not make friends with the salesperson.
 Dealer insults - -
>> I'm not bothered about any insults I might get from the salesperson.

Blimey Le's, are they paying you to take a car off their hands, courtesy costs nothing and manners makes the gentleman and i'm damned if i'd give business (my hard earned) or the time of day to some ill brought up spiv who insulted me.
courtesy costs nothing and manners makes the gentleman and i'm damned if i'd give business (my hard earned) or the time of day to some ill brought up spiv who insulted me.
>>

Yes that’s correct the salesperson is a representative of the dealer/company they work for. If they cannot be bothered to give me the time of day, then (and this applies to any company) they do not get my business, and that includes any repeat business.

Just to add to my earlier post

When I went to Said Vauxhall dealer my “low oil level” light (not oil pressure) came on just before it was due a service, I had been checking regularly and it only dropped down by a quarter.
So I went to buy some top oil (I panicked a bit and didn’t just leave it until service time) but the guy behind the counter came out and gave my car a quick checkover topped the oil up for me and everything – 1st class service
>> Blimey Le's, are they paying you to take a car off their hands, courtesy costs
>> nothing

Blimey gordonbennet, it's just a business transaction. I'm not that sensitive that I'm bothered about the demeanor of the salesperson.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 09:51
 Dealer insults - Focusless
>> I'm not bothered about any insults I might get from the salesperson.

If a salesperson insults their customer, they're not doing their job properly. What else are they going to get wrong, perhaps less obviously?
 Dealer insults - BiggerBadderDave
"What else are they going to get wrong, perhaps less obviously?"

What else is there to get wrong? They're selling it, not building it.

L'escargot is right, I go into a dealership knowing exactly what I want and what I want to pay and wild horses wouldn't shift me once my mind is made up, let alone a dealer who's probably seen a thousand tyre kickers and test pilots that day. All these stories about blokes going into MB dealers, not having their rses kissed in quite the way they would like and walking out and buying a VW instead? Grow a pair. Be vocal. Be demanding. Imagine settling for the second car on your list because the dealer for the first car didn't have decaff. Unbelievable.
 Dealer insults - Netsur
.*********
 Dealer insults - Netsur
What I meant to say was............

Its not about having your bottom licked, its about professional courtesy. If they employ 'pink fluffy dice' salesmen in the showroom what sort of meatheads have their hands under the bonnet in the workshop?
 Dealer insults - DP
I quite agree. If they don't know how to treat customers pre-sale, what the heck hope is there if you need their aftersales support?
>> I quite agree. If they don't know how to treat customers pre-sale, what the heck
>> hope is there if you need their aftersales support?
>>

After-sales support is provided by the service department, not the showroom staff.
 Dealer insults - DP
>> After-sales support is provided by the service department, not the showroom staff.

Irrelevant. It reflects a wider management attitude.
>> Irrelevant. It reflects a wider management attitude.
>>

I'm not bothered about "management attitude". I just want a salesperson who can arrange the supply of the car.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 09:56
 Dealer insults - DP
>> I'm not bothered about "management attitude". I just want a salesperson who can arrange the
>> supply of the car.

The same management team will be running the service department. It's not rocket science. If they don't care about you before you buy the car, what on earth makes you think they will give two hoots when you need support. Or a courtesy car at short notice. Or someone to press your case with the manufacturer over the failure of a component which may or may not be covered by warranty.

The sales team provides the first impression of a dealership to every potential customer who walks through the door. If the management can't even be bothered to ensure they run that right, it speaks volumes about the overall level of support you are going to get further down the track.

My former (excellent) Renault dealer saved me over £500 by carefully wording a warranty claim form. He didn't need to do that. It was no coincidence that the salesman was also extremely helpful, and couldn't have done more for us. Or the dealer principal's card with direct line was given to us every time we visited. Proper management.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 17:44
"management attitude" - sounds like marketing speak... or where I come from - bullshine.

It's flawed logic to single out 'John in accounts' who keeps making mistakes and conclude therefore that 'Fred in marketing' must also be an idiot. Any company with enough employees will have one or two that don't pull their weight, one or two that sparkle with enthusiasm, creativity and ingenuity and most that sit somewhere in between.

Besides, I'd travel the length and breadth of the country to get the car that I want at the price that I want but I always get it serviced round the corner.
 Dealer insults - Pat
It's also a bad management choice to allow 'John in accounts' to retain his job if he keeps making mistakes.

Pat
Unfortunately Pat, you only have the population of the UK to chose from. There are only a finite number of wizzkids, the rest of them will be average or below. The best of the best won't be working at Peugeot, Chiswick.
 Dealer insults - Iffy
Having worked on t'other side of the counter for a few years, I can say some customers are very needy.

I was always pleasant, polite and as helpful as I could be, but that wasn't enough for some people.

Just because it's a car and lots of money, they seem to think they are entitled to having their egos massaged for as long as they see fit.

We found this type of behaviour often carried on after they bought the car, so there were some customers, albeit very few, who we were glad we didn't get.

I'm not interested in whether a sales guy is courteous or even professional, I don't want any chums or pals. I just want him to take my cheque and have the car ready when I come to collect it.
>> I'm not interested in whether a sales guy is courteous or even professional, I don't
>> want any chums or pals. I just want him to take my cheque and have
>> the car ready when I come to collect it.
>>

My sentiments exactly.
 Dealer insults - R.P.
Homer's rule applies.

"I give you loads of cash you give me shiny car" end of. Don't want a relationship beyond that. And I blow a raspberry at a particular "salesman" at Inchcape VW in Shrewsbury.
 Dealer insults - Iffy
....Don't want a relationship beyond that...

Some customers - usually those who had bought more than one car - did become, if not exactly friends, certainly well-known in the garage.

They did receive some benefit - the courtesy car was never 'out' if they wanted it, and we were more willing to cannibalise a new car for a spare part for them, rather than the standard reply of 'it's on order, mate'.

In the perverse way of things, some of the best customers were the least demanding and would almost resist our efforts to help.

"Car in for a service Mr Bloggs? I'll run you home."

"No thanks, I can just as easily get the bus."

>> If they employ 'pink
>> fluffy dice' salesmen in the showroom what sort of meatheads have their hands under the
>> bonnet in the workshop?
>>

I've never found any correlation between the calibre of sales staff at a particular dealership and the calibre of their workshop technicians.
>> If a salesperson insults their customer, they're not doing their job properly. What else are
>> they going to get wrong, perhaps less obviously?

I'm quite capable of making sure that the car I get from the dealership is what I wanted. I've done my homework in advance and decided exactly what I want before I even set foot in the showroom. No saleperson ever influences my choice of car or method of payment. I merely need them to arrange a confirmatory test drive of my chosen model, to negotiate the "price to change", and to process the paperwork.
 Dealer insults - Mapmaker

Escargot>> I'm quite capable of making sure that the car I get from the dealership is
>> what I wanted. I've done my homework in advance and decided exactly what I want
>> before I even set foot in the showroom. No saleperson ever influences my choice of
>> car or method of payment. I merely need them to arrange a confirmatory test drive
>> of my chosen model, to negotiate the "price to change", and to process the paperwork.

Indeed. But sometimes they manage to foul up such that I don't actually buy it from them, even if I want it. It's not just cars...

Prime example. At the market on Saturday morning, in need to two trays (16 punnets) of strawberries. Two stands with similar and same-priced fruit. Lift punnet at first stand to confirm freshness of berries, and dragon snaps "don't touch them"; we move on. At second stand, bloke goes out of his way to be nice, and gets his £20.
 Dealer insults - madf
Agree with Mapmaker.

When we bought our one and only new car, the car industry had its price cartel. We wanted a 106. Dealer 1 was not interested in our spec. Dealer 2 was helpful. Price was the same. Dealer 2 got our business.

I find Toyta dealers - on teh whole - the best for courteous service. Of any mass maker.. Guess which car I would buy if new?
Last edited by: madf on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 16:33
Someone said there's no correlation between sales staff behaviour and service staff behaviour. That has certainly been my experience. But it does sound rational to conclude that if one part of the organisation is less than perfect, the others will be too.

Even the parts people can be tremendously helpful. I remember this boy behind the counter at a Peugeot main dealer who looked furtively over his shoulder and in a discreet mutter sent me down the road to a diesel specialist for the same part at half the price. Good lad. Some of them are the opposite though. After a long wait at a Renault parts counter once, I actually lost my temper when the whippersnapper behind the counter started a long social conversation with a friend of his who had just come in, and bawled at him furiously. Got served (by someone else though) pretty smartly.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 17:53
 Dealer insults - Stuu
Having worked behind the scenes in several main dealer departments, id say its more to do with the ethos of the individual department managers.
I remember where I worked, the workshop was always trying to mess sales around as the salesmen were rude and demanding ( and their work was less profitable ) - something sales extended to the valeting dept too ( we had the ear of the MD of the group though and our manager pretty well left us alone save for a yearly review and payrise :-) ).
The bodyshop always helped us but again, sales were sidelined and always to the back of the queue. Parts were awful to everyone - friendly but frequently useless at getting anything done - they did get in trouble for a large phonebill to a porn phone line though, so maybe thats a factor.

When I worked in a customer facing role as a service cleaner/driver, we tended to look after the pleasent customers better - be rude and it was amazing how long a car would take to get into the workshop. Its quite a task to get cars though sometimes in good time and get them back to people, which often involved myself and the other driver pushing 'our' jobs through with charm and dropping jobcards onto desks over others.

We had some stupid customers like a solicitor who made it clear he was just waiting to sue us everytime we collected his car, so we always spent an hour doing a blow by blow assessment of his car on his driveway to make sure that any mark, however slight, was recorded. He got very angry but it was his own fault and we took much amusement with this task.
Another old guy, who had a mint Rover 827, actually went to the trouble of photocopying the owners manual on how to drive the car as he had heard the car clonk when I put it in Drive - he had parked it on a 30 degree slope on purpose and as it happened, it followed the correct procedure. The delivery of instructions was not taken at all seriously and his bill was somewhat high that time.

Ive found treat people politely and you generally get better service. Sometimes you have to accept you cant have what you want there and then.
Latest Forum Posts