Motoring Discussion > Buggrit - Car Damaged. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 14

Buggrit - Car Damaged. - Bromptonaut
Wednesday is my CAB day and, notwithstanding the date, we were working this morning.

Routine is that we park in one of the town centre car parks for which the Council give a permit. Take a ticket on entry like anyone else but on leaving ring the interphone on the exit barrier and hold the permit where the CCTV camera in the ticket reader can 'see' it. Attendant then raises barrier remotely. Relative shorties like me need to release seat belt to reach the interphone button.

Go through drill, barrier rises and I edge forward while refastening seat belt. Half a second later there's a clonk from upper o/s rear of car. Barrier has dropped before I'm through and is resting on roof. Thought (b) it had landed on the 'lingo's roof bars and (b) it'll be designed not to cause damage so not too bothered.

Examination when stopped later however shows a dent in in o/s rear wher bodyside is transitioning to roof. Only a crease and if I'd done it myself I'd curse and ignore (car is 10yrs/140k miles).

As however liability is pretty well incontestable I'm pursuing it.

Facts duly reported to Northampton BC and my insurer.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 24 Dec 14 at 16:05
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - No FM2R
>> Thought (b) it had landed on the 'lingo's roof bars and (b) it'll be designed not to cause damage so not too bothered.

And thought (a)?

>> And thought (a)?

And once again evidence that B cannot proof read for toffee. My mother say it's because I was taught to read by look/say rather than phonetics.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - Slidingpillar
Proof reading for others is one thing, but spotting ones own errors is another. Changing font and reading aloud helps, but not infallible.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - Zero
>> Proof reading for others is one thing, but spotting ones own errors is another. Changing
>> font and reading aloud helps, but not infallible.

This forum consists mostly of proof readers.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - Falkirk Bairn
Similar thing happened to me - 2 week old car driving out of carpark in lane 1 - barrier from lane 2 lifts as I move off - instead of being upright the lane 2 barrier falls into my lane - BIG score down the bonnet.

Go to office, report the matter, "old guard" notes it down and picks up the snapped off barrier.
The NCP picked up the repair cost - no quibble.

That night - " a lady of the night" is battered to death on the 6th floor - the Police assume the barrier was knocked off by the "escaping client" - so for about 1 minute I was "in the frame" / assumed to be the culprit.

However, they were assured the barrier was damaged @ 5.15pm and the murder was in the early hours of the following day. It took years but they eventually jailed the murderer.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - zippy
>> - so for about 1 minute I was "in the frame" / assumed to be
>> the culprit.
>>

Frightening!

Try 18 years.

Warning for UKIP supporters, the link below points to the Guardian! ;-)

tinyurl.com/ov2zn6u
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - bathtub tom
I had an old car whose electric petrol pump would cut out if the oil pressure light came on, presumably as a safety device.

I fitted a hidden cut-out switch in this circuit as an anti-theft device.

I forgot to switch it as I got into the car in a car park. The engine ran on the fuel in the carb, until I got to the exit and paid. The damn engine then cut as the barrier started to descend, with the car underneath. I had the presence of mind to nip out and hold the barrier up, which then rose and started to descend again, not giving me enough time to push the car out of the way.

Would have made an amusing short film, me standing there, repeatedly pushing the barrier up, with the car stuck.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - Slidingpillar
I've got an idea the in-tank electric pump on the Austin Princess (the wedge one) was only powered when the oil light had gone out. No great shakes if you used the car regularly, but a bit of a bind in some circumstances.

I did have separate ignition and fuel pump cut out switches on the Morgan 4/4 when it had the loony tunes engine, but I was running a very expensive engine on a normal budget - one bent valve ended up in £400 bill for work on the head - I put in all the labour to remove and refit the head. Astonishingly capable car, but let down by others assumptions who thought an old looking car would be moving slowly, not blowing them into the weeds.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - bathtub tom
>>I've got an idea the in-tank electric pump on the Austin Princess (the wedge one) was only powered when the oil light had gone out.

That's the car, although the pump was also powered when the light was on if the starter was operated - think about it, it's necessary.
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - R.P.
Interesting. Secure the CCTV. Our CAB shut until the 5th of Jan !, although Adviceline is still operational in Wales so the others must be open.
>> Interesting. Secure the CCTV. Our CAB shut until the 5th of Jan !, although Adviceline
>> is still operational in Wales so the others must be open.
>>

I've already verbally requested a TV hold and confirmed in writing but the parking manager is on holiday until 05 Jan.

Our CAB is open as normal this week except for Thursday. I'm in on Wednesday morning. They were though desperate for volunteers for both advice and gateway today and net Monday. One of the session supervisors was sending pleading emails on Xmas eve.

I'd have done today but I'm not qualified yet - still doing observations and workbooks.
Ah Workbooks....so much fun...I had a call from a friend yesterday wanting to know whether CAB was open. I had no idea in his area....during the conversation I managed to resolve his problem for him. I had a pang of guilt that I should be in work and not lounging about at home...:-)
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 10:29
 Buggrit - Car Damaged. - Duncan
>> I had a call from a friend yesterday wanting to know whether CAB was open. I had no idea in >>his area...

Our local CAB is shut until the 5th(?)

I have been meaning to contact them for some time to offer my services. I wonder if they would have a use for my special skills.....
They probably would. As Brompie suggests b***** hard work though !
Latest Forum Posts