Motoring Discussion > M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 37

M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - henry k
I came down south the M11 and joined the M25 West.
Twas Christmas Day just before midnight, when I exited the Bell Common Tunnel.
All four of us were startled by the brightness of the two flashes for a vehicle going East on the other carriageway.

I have not seen any camera flashes at night ( or daytime) on the M25 before but the intensity was a little worrying to us innocents.

Obviously I have no idea if there was a camera working there.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - movilogo
I have seen them regularly flashing on M1.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Bromptonaut
Had a similar experience to OP last week on way back from cross channel excursion. Bright but no more distrating than numerous other things on/around a busy urban motorway.

Like Movilogo I too have seen them on the M1, specifically on the managed motorway section round Nottingham. There's a long straight stretch, I think near the A38 turn, where you can see a mile or so as m/way curves/climbs slightly to left.

Like fireworks going off sometimes.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - henry k
>> Had a similar experience ...... Bright but no more distrating than numerous other things on/around a busy urban motorway.
>>
The M25 was almost deserted, no trucks and very few cars all the way to the M3
I was in lane one so a long way from the camera. Two experienced drivers were with me and both commented on the brightness.
>>
>> Like Movilogo I too have seen them on the M1,
>>
The reason I posted re M25 is that IIRC the general statement is that M25 Gatsos are not switched on with IIRC one near the Dartford crossing.
>>
When I return from Cambridge it is usually a similar time on the M25 and I have do not recall seeing any Gatso flash on those trips.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Zero
On the M25 the situation is confused.

The overhead gantry gatos are not active unless the accompanying speed limit sign is lit. Despite what many say, they do not flash anyone above 70mph as a general principal. (if they were I would have been banned countless times)*
If the speed limit signs are active, the radars become active at a level that is not less than posted limit +10% +2mph. I know I have tested them safely to this limit.* Even if they fire however many of those put up early in the "smart motorway project" do not record those who transgress (this is mostly the western section, M1 to Reigate)**

The newer smart motorway section, from reigate to the dartford crossing, employs a new style of camera mounted on the side of the road, this is set active even when the gantries are not posted with a limit, and will flash (i have seen them) at speeds above 70mph, tho appears from my experience to be at least set to 70mph +10%

* the M1 is the same, no speed limit posted no camera.

** no idea if when active they are actually working. I can testify they too are set at at least 70mph+10%
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Kowalski
I got flashed about 2 hours ago on the Reigate section, around J9 of the M25, by one of the overhead gantries. For this section I haven't noticed any cameras mounted on the side of the road. I thought they were only between J7 to J5?

There was no speed restrictions in place either.

For my sake, I sincerely hope you are correct...

Will post back and update.

K

(now waiting for Mr Postie with dread)

you'll be fine, I do that stretch at an indicated 90mph with impunity. Possibly to do with with my neural enlightenment.
Hmm, I think I was doing a tad bit faster than 90mph... I'll need to check my car cam...

But thanks for trying to put my mind at ease :)
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - rtj70
>> by one of the overhead gantries. For this section I haven't noticed any cameras mounted on the side of the road.

I think the clue is the camera will be in the gantry. You said that yourself.

If the gantry camera was there and operational but no restriction showing (so national speed limit) and it fired, as long as you were going less than 97mph true speed (not indicated), the worst is a fixed penalty. So I guess £60 and 3 points.

97mph or more and it's the magistrates and more points and a bigger fine.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 28 Dec 14 at 00:19
And if you were doing more than 96mph, don't use a defence of 'I hadn't noticed a camera' :-)
On that section there are overhead cameras, they are not set to fire if there is no posted speed limit. If there was no limit posted he was not flashed - at any speed.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Old Navy
It seems to be more difficult to get away with speeding these days.

tinyurl.com/njbk4l4
@ rtj70

I think it's going to be border line on whether I was above 97mph... my car cam says I was doing about 92ish mph at the time, allowing for a margin of error, then that is pretty damn close, too close to call.

Wonder if I'll get an offer to do a speed awareness course, probably too fast for that, so yea 3 points and 60 quid... we shall see...

Oh and I certainly won't be using a defence of I didn't see any camera's you're honour. That's just asking for the book to be thrown at you :)

@ Zero

Definitely got flashed :( see upload from my car cam here: youtu.be/_8N0LC3XRvA

Whole video is 3 minutes long, should of edited it down to the fun part, but C.B.A.

Anyway as per the notes on the video if you skip to 1:50, you'll see I get tail gated by some idiot, who then starts flashing his head lamps at me. Normally, I would pull over and let them go by, but I am so sick and tired of being intimated by aggressive drivers, I decided to pull away rather than being badgered to move over.

At 2:10 I get flashed, which you can clearly see in the video. The odd thing is, even though I am in the far outside lane, it would appear the flash goes off for one of the cameras in the middle lane.

Ah well, two days down and 12 to go... Does anyone know if the 14 days for receiving a NIP include weekends and public holidays, or is it 14 working days?
Last edited by: Kowalski on Tue 30 Dec 14 at 02:06
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Duncan
@ Kowalski

BTB, what cam setup have you got?

>> Ah well, two days down and 12 to go... Does anyone know if the 14
>> days for receiving a NIP include weekends and public holidays, or is it 14 working
>> days?
>>

Any particular reason why you were hogging lane three when most of the time threre were three almost empty lanes to your left? If the driver you were obstructing wants to risk points and a fine move over and let him get on with it. You were in legal territory until you decided to race.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - bathtub tom
>>Any particular reason why you were hogging lane three when most of the time threre were three almost empty lanes to your left?

It would appear the following driver only flashed you when you seemed to have empty lanes to your left. Could've saved yourself some grief if you'd moved over?
Days after I was done in magistrates for doing 97mph on a motorway I was travelling on a Manchester A road. Towards a Gatso that I knew about and it had been there fore ages. Car behind wanted to get past... just before the camera I was able to pull to the left (no bus lanes then just traffic)....

.... and he floored it just before the camera and got flashed... stupid driver I guess. Or stolen car.
Rearrange words misfortune author and of.....

Who loses anything apart from 'face' if you pull over to let the aggressive tailgater past?

Speeding up to try and drop him puts you in frame for more serious offences than plain vanilla £100+points speeding. On mph grounds alone 90+ is pushing disqualification territory before a copper forms the opinion that you'd done something dangerous.

>> At 2:10 I get flashed, which you can clearly see in the video. The odd
>> thing is, even though I am in the far outside lane, it would appear the
>> flash goes off for one of the cameras in the middle lane.

Not your flash is it. I bet there was an erroneous speed limit left in one of the middle lanes.

And yes Hogging the outside lane like that you'd have got a flash from me as well.

Anyway, either way no NIP in the post for you. Relax.
@ Duncan
Got a Nextbase 402G Professional, see here: www.nextbase.co.uk/products/iN%252dCAR-CAM%E2%84%A2-402%252dG-Professional.html

@ Old Navy
The way the footage is shot makes it appear I am hogging the outside lane, but if I could of moved over safely and let that douche over take I would of.

@ bathtub tom
Hmm, as they say hindsight is always 20-20...

@ Bromptonaut
Very true, just gets so annoying people think they have some God given right to drive aggressively and force others to do their bidding. But you are right, saving 'face' is not worth a trip to court.

@ Zero

I do about 25000 miles a year going up and down the M25, have done so for over ten years now. I've seen all sorts of silly driving in that time. Done my fair share of silly things too. Heh heh :)

Believe me, Intentionally hogging the outside lane is not something I do. As I said previously the footage makes it look that way. But there were cars in the inner lane so I couldn't move over safely.

Anyway Day 3 of 14 and nothing... Still hoping you are correct Zero :)
>> I do about 25000 miles a year going up and down the M25

Have you not tried going around and around ;-)
Sod that for a game of soldiers :)
Interesting user name Mr K. Are you a fan of Frederick Forsyth's 'The Day of the Jackal' or is there some other explanation?
>> Interesting user name Mr K. Are you a fan of Frederick Forsyth's 'The Day of
>> the Jackal' or is there some other explanation?
>>

*chuckle* no, not a FF fan...

However, let me give you a clue, see if you can get it from this: www.nzmoparregistry.com/assets/d-road%2010.jpg

;)
Thats a Dodge Challenger, you are Barry Newman, and I claim my five pounds before you Vanish.
Well done that man ;)

I will have that car one day...
>> Well done that man ;)

🚐
>> I will have that car one day...

I've never watched the film but read the plot outline just now. I don't think you want to repeat what the character in the film did.... :-)
Not sure what happened to my last message? But let's try again without any bad words in.

Hmm, to go out in a blaze of glory in an American muscle car. Heck yea! :)

Cult classic film Vanishing Point, try and watch it one day.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Skip
>> you'll be fine, I do that stretch at an indicated 90mph with impunity.

Its a downhill stretch I presume ? :-)
>> >> you'll be fine, I do that stretch at an indicated 90mph with impunity.
>>
>> Its a downhill stretch I presume ? :-)

Oh yes, both sides of Reigate hill.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Duncan
>> I do that stretch at an indicated 90mph with impunity.

Whose car do you borrow for that?

;-0
>> >> I do that stretch at an indicated 90mph with impunity.
>>
>> Whose car do you borrow for that?
>>

He uses his hazard flashers, some people think they are an invisibility device. :)
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Fursty Ferret
The newer smart motorway section, from reigate to the dartford crossing, employs a new style of camera mounted on the side of the road, this is set active even when the gantries are not posted with a limit, and will flash (i have seen them) at speeds above 70mph, tho appears from my experience to be at least set to 70mph +10%

Doubt any of them are on (sections with roadwork excepted). Regularly drive this bit and cars regularly doing over a ton. Can't see an experienced M25 user getting caught out by this.

Have long wondered why the cameras aren't switched on every motorway, stops people bombing down lane 3 and a decent little earner for the police.

>> Doubt any of them are on (sections with roadwork excepted). Regularly drive this bit and
>> cars regularly doing over a ton. Can't see an experienced M25 user getting caught out
>> by this.

Between J7 and J5 seen them flash with no posted speed limit. Its the only place I am speed reticent not he M25. And the approach to the dartford crossing of course. Will they do away with that speed limit when the booths go?
Election time?

tinyurl.com/nazvk88
>> Election time?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/nazvk88

Yep. Plus minister spinning populist line for Daily Heil.
 M25 East. Flash for a Gatso. - Armel Coussine
Speed cameras are a great nuisance and mostly simply a way of picking the pockets of innocent motorists. Dangerous speeders do exist, but you hardly ever see one even in London. For every one of those pursued after being flashed, and seldom in fact the owner of the car concerned, scores of perfectly normal drivers are savagely fined and their licences fingermarked for straying harmlessly a couple of mph over some stupid low limit in places with open views and no traffic.

As a worthy successor to Mr Toad, but with more brains and self-control, I call it a damned swizz. One of the things I most hate is damn little cars waddling along at 40 on a nice curvy 60-limited A road and applying their brakes at short irregular intervals even on straight stretches.

'He (or she) has a right to drive slowly if they want,' herself reproves me when I gnash my teeth. 'Yes, but not while waddling all over the road plainly unconcerned with what's going on behind, unaware of it too,' I snarl irritably. But I don't do dodgy rude overtakes any more. Too wimpish in my old age, and Herself hates it poor darling. She even has trouble with the few viable ones I attempt.
Latest Forum Posts