Motoring Discussion > Fuel fillers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 108

Fuel fillers - Old Navy
I won't comment on the gender of the person in this video clip. :)

tinyurl.com/p6ey7a7

I did help a lady who was having a problem with a Peugeot 306 Dturbo which had matching fillers (one a styling feature). It helps if you have owned one of them.

I must admit that I was baffled by an American "behind the number plate" filler I could not find on my first visit in my youth.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 10:57
 Fuel fillers - Manatee
>> I won't comment on the gender of the person in this video clip. :)

Or her hair colour, which obviously has absolutely nothing to do with it.

That's a corker.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 11:20
 Fuel fillers - WillDeBeest
...or her choice of vehicle.

I remember being baffled when trying to refuel a Hertz Fiat Tipo many years ago. Tried all my usual tricks - push, twist, pull, twiddle - but it just went on clicking and rotating. Gave up in embarrassment and swallowed the refuelling charges instead.
 Fuel fillers - bathtub tom
>>I must admit that I was baffled by an American "behind the number plate" filler

There was also a big old ('60s?) British car that had you unscrewing a rear reflector.
 Fuel fillers - Runfer D'Hills
The fuel filler cap on my dad's Zephyr was behind the rear numberplate.
 Fuel fillers - Zero
>> The fuel filler cap on my dad's Zephyr was behind the rear numberplate.

And its less brash stable mate, the consol.
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>> >>I must admit that I was baffled by an American "behind the number plate" filler
>>
I know the feeling.
For several days on a long US trip I was not able to find the remote release for the filler flap.
Meanwhile i found a way around the " problem". Undo the trunk and pull the cable there.

Eventually I discovered the button in the glove compartment.
Seems that it and the remote trunk release are located there so that the owner can lock the glove compartment and then give a second " restrictive ignition and doors only" key to A N Other so they can park it for you without access to your goodies.
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
As a frequent hirer of cars I was ever making the wrong guess as to which side the filler cap was on when stopping for fuel.

Then someone told me that there is a little arrow on the car fuel gauge next to the picture of the petrol pump on nearly all cars which shows you which side the filler is. I expect all you car experts know that but it came as news to me and has saved me much anguish.
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
>> As a frequent hirer of cars I was ever making the wrong guess as to
>> which side the filler cap was on when stopping for fuel.

Never have a look beforehand?
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
No, and no there's absolutely no need to now.
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
You never know, might end up with an older car on hire. Doesn't take long.

Force of habit for me. I always had a quick look, could be a PITA if you just guessed and guessed wrong.

I remember, when I filled up once, seeing a woman in a Ka that had three gos at getting it on right side. I thought she was going to drive off and give up at one point.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 13:05
 Fuel fillers - Zero
Nicoles fezza is a bit of an enigma the first time you use it. It has no filler cap. You stuff the pump nozzle in a kind of sealed orifice.

BBD would have a field day.
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
>> You never know, might end up with an older car on hire. Doesn't take long.
>>
>> Force of habit for me. I always had a quick look,

You didn't know about the petrol gauge thing then.
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
>> You didn't know about the petrol gauge thing then.
>>

I did yes.
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
but not trust it?
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
Not all vehicles have it.
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
Which ones don't? - not found one yet.
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
Older cars, not all hire companies have fancy new cars, Last year we had a Mk1 Focus as a hire car, I don't think that had one. Trucks, minibuses, vans, some stuff we get hired is very basic in comparison to europe specced cars.

'not found one yet'

Might have been a few someone told you about it ;-)
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
They must see you coming if you if you end up with a MK 1 Focus ;-) I thought Hertz were bad giving me a three door Corsa last month.
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
>> They must see you coming if you if you end up with a MK 1
>> Focus ;-)

Me? Nah, I just drive what work hire out. Hertz? Luxury!
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 14:12
No arrows in either of ours (both right-handers.) CGN being so adamant, I went outside to check. Clearly some cars are just designed with renters in mind.

I bet Vauxhalls have arrows. Happy new year, VF.
};---)
 Fuel fillers - henry k
I think Fords have had the little pump sybol for many years.
 Fuel fillers - PeterS
>> No arrows in either of ours (both right-handers.) CGN being so adamant, I went outside
>> to check. Clearly some cars are just designed with renters in mind.
>>
>> I bet Vauxhalls have arrows. Happy new year, VF.
>> };---)
>>
>>

Interestingly (or perhaps not...) a quick tally up of my (mostly work related) hire cars this year is as follows:

Citroen: 2 (a DS3 and a Piccasso)
VW: 4 (a Polo and 2 Golfs and a Toureg)
Peugeot: 3 (208, 308?, 508)
Audi: 4 (all A1s)
Mercedes: 5 (4 A classes and a C)
Ford: 1 (a Focus estate) and the only one that broke
Vauxhall: 5 (2 Mokkas, a Corsa, an Astra and an Insignia)
Hyundai: 1 (i3?)
BMW: 3 (1,4 and 5 series)

So Vauxhall and MB are joint first in the hire car stakes, unless you lump together VW and Audi, in which case they are joint second!! Note all of these are booked as small 5 door cars I think. I like playing hire car roulette :-)

We're in Scotland for New Year and the car assigned by Avis is an Insignia. I don't recall seeing an arrow next to the fuel gauge, but will take a look tomorrow! Not a bad car, though surprisingly lacking in parking sensors. Certainly feels very solid, and a relaxing drive.
Last edited by: PeterS on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 15:24
 Fuel fillers - No FM2R
Just checked, two Landcruisers, Dodge Ram and a Daihatsu something-or-other all have little arrows.
Had to go and check, I did know about the little arrows but couldn't remember if our cars had them. They both do.
 Fuel fillers - Skip
I'm told that on French cars the filler is on the same side as the filler hose is shown on the petrol pump symbol on the fuel gauge. Does that make sense ?
 Fuel fillers - rtj70
On all the cars I've had more than a few days (mostly company cars), I am pretty sure all had the arrow/triangle next to the pump symbol pointing to the side of the car with the fuel filler on. So that's Ford, Vauxhall, VW, Audi and Mazda.
 Fuel fillers - Crankcase
I had a long string of various Toyota products, all with the arrow. Just swapped to a Volvo, and no arrow.

Fuel fillers - Rudedog
Checked the Golf as I drove home from work and NO side indicator in the fuel gauge, also checked my wife's new Polo and that doesn't have anything either.
 Fuel fillers - PhilW
Yes they do!
Look at petrol pump symbol. If the hose is on the right of the symbol the filler cap is that side also (offside of car).
P
...and yet if the filler is on the right, shouldn't you look for a pump with the hose on the left?

Phil, I think you have too much time on your hands on all those long solo trips and you're imagining designs in the purely arbitrary.
};---)
 Fuel fillers - PhilW
"...and yet if the filler is on the right, shouldn't you look for a pump with the hose on the left? "

Yep, that's how I read it to start with!! Soon learnt the lesson because if delivering a brand new car I'm always wary of dragging a hose across the back/boot of a car, don't want to produce a scratch. (I'd get charged for repair!!)

"Phil, I think you have too much time on your hands on all those long solo trips and you're imagining designs in the purely arbitrary. "

You may well be right again!! See my later post!!
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
I think you are looking in the wrong place. Here is a picture of a Mark 6 Golf like mine. The arrow is the little triangle on the right hand side of the picture of the petrol pump. This indicates the filler cap is on the right hand side of the car.

vw golf petrol gauge

Fuel fillers - Rudedog
I can see the little triangle on a picture of a Mk VI but there's nothing like that on my Mk V.
 Fuel fillers - PhilW
At the risk of being a little repetitive Rudedog, look at the petrol pump symbol on your fuel gauge. Is the fuel line/pistol on the right of the pump? If it is, it means the filler flap is on the right. Anyway, as far as I know all VWs, Audis, MBs have filler on driver's side.
 Fuel fillers - Duncan
>> I think you are looking in the wrong place. Here is a picture of a
>> Mark 6 Golf like mine. The arrow is the little triangle on the right hand
>> side of the picture of the petrol pump. This indicates the filler cap is on
>> the right hand side of the car.
>>
>> vw golf petrol gauge

Oh yes!

I can see every detail!

;-)
 Fuel fillers - Manatee
Here's one

s425.photobucket.com/user/Shrek744/media/Happy_zps4dd12174.jpg.html
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>> Here's one
>>
>> s425.photobucket.com/user/Shrek744/media/Happy_zps4dd12174.jpg.html
>>
Or Google fuel gauge and select from the pages of images.
I note the examples labeled Coffee or Beer are missing the indicator :-)
Doing the Edinburgh thing Peter? We were all set to go this year but my wife's health isn't up to it yet.

Have fun !
 Fuel fillers - PeterS
>> Doing the Edinburgh thing Peter? We were all set to go this year but my
>> wife's health isn't up to it yet.
>>
>> Have fun !
>>

We did, and we did! Hellishly expensive though - roughly twice what we'd usually spend going to a chateau in France for new year!!

Oh, and the insignia has an arrow indicating the side that the fuel filler is located. A nice car I though; felt far more Germanic and solid than the Focus hire car or Mondeos that our local taxi firm likes! But in SRi trim lacking in some odd things (parking sensors, auto wipers being the most obvious)
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
>> No

Just a thought, if it caused you anguish and you hired cars often and guessed wrong often, how come you didn't have a look to see which side it was on? Just kept forgetting?
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
"Just kept forgetting?"

forgetting about what?
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
Just wondered why you never looked which side the fuel filler, if caused you hassle and you hired cars often ?
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
Must have forgotten ;-)
 Fuel fillers - Old Navy
>> I expect all you car experts know that but it
>> came as news to me and has saved me much anguish.
>>

There are a few who think they are experts, some who have been around long enough to know but have forgotten, and most of us just learning.
 Fuel fillers - Duncan
>> As a frequent hirer of cars I was ever making the wrong guess as to
>> which side the filler cap was on when stopping for fuel.

Doesn't matter. The hose is long enough to reach over, or round the car, even if the filler is on the other side.
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
"Doesn't matter. The hose is long enough to reach over, or round the car, even if the filler is on the other side."

Controversial statement Duncan. Seem to remember a very long thread on that very point. We'd be better off talking about winter tyres ;-)
 Fuel fillers - Duncan
>> "Doesn't matter. The hose is long enough to reach over, or round the car, even
>> if the filler is on the other side."
>>
>>
>> Controversial statement Duncan. Seem to remember a very long thread on that very point. We'd be better off talking about winter tyres ;-)

I'll meet you at my local Sainsbury's filling station and I bet the hose will reach to the far side of the car.

Or; the loser pays at the nearest Wetherspoons?
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
"I'll meet you at my local Sainsbury's filling station and I bet the hose will reach to the far side of the car."

No let's go to the small Shell station down the Norwich Road. I'll be in the Hummer
 Fuel fillers - Cliff Pope
>> Seem to remember a very long thread on that very point.
>>

No, the thread was not quite long enough to reach the point.
In some ways, I prefer to fill up on the far side of the car from the pump. Saves standing in puddles of diesel. Knackers leather soles.
 Fuel fillers - PeterS
>> In some ways, I prefer to fill up on the far side of the car
>> from the pump. Saves standing in puddles of diesel. Knackers leather soles.
>>

You fill it up yourself?!? My local shell station has a man that'll do it for you :)
 Fuel fillers - sooty123
>> You fill it up yourself?!? My local shell station has a man that'll do it
>> for you :)
>>

There's one station round here that still has a bloke to fill your car up.
 Fuel fillers - Skip
>> >> You fill it up yourself?!? My local shell station has a man that'll do
>> it for you :)

>> There's one station round here that still has a bloke to fill your car up.

Do you still get Green Shield Stamps there ?

Fuel fillers - sooty123
Nah, just an old fashioned sort of place.
 Fuel fillers - Armel Coussine
The filler in our car is on the offside, the nearside of course in most world markets.

The hose will usually reach across the car but you have to pull it quite hard, and you have to stop as close to the pump as possible.

Loved the video of the lady making heavy weather of lining her car up on the right side of the pump.

Another 50 quid's worth of juice today. I'm envious of people who get it for under a pound a litre. It's 113p round here at the moment.
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>> Another 50 quid's worth of juice today.
I must fill up in the morning. A bit more than £50 though :-(
>> I'm envious of people who get it for under a pound a litre. It's 113p round here at the moment.
>>
On Sunday I passed by the famous pumps near Bristols showroom in West London. IIRC £174.9.P
 Fuel fillers - MD
Cor..... A showroom of Bristol's! Perfick....
Never seen it MD? It's still there.

Just been talking about Bristols entre autres with an old car-nut buddy on the phone. The Bristol 2 litre was a BMW design, inherited from the wonderful and successful BMW 328. The V8 Bristols were a different matter, cobbled together by Antony Crook (a rough character my buddy said, as were the Aldingtons who campaigned 328s and owned Frazer Nash for a while. I was at school with one. Very contemptuous of Jaguars he was). His brother came to the school in a FN Le Mans Replica - gorgeous motor - and when he opened it up you could hear it for miles... I wasn't favoured with a ride. I'd love one now, but there aren't many and they're worth masses.

Sigh.
 Fuel fillers - MD
Bristol's are nice.
>> Bristol's are nice.

Forgive me for asking MD, but are you thinking 'Hyeugh, hyeugh, hyeugh, phwoaarr!!' or 'Cor, thassa nice motor!'?

Mere idle curiosity. No need to answer.
There's an underground parking garage beneath the Hilton there which is also under the Bristol showroom. The really interesting old cars are in there. I park there sometimes and occasionally use the hotel when I'm in London. The garage used to be supervised by a simply huge, at first quite scary, but actually very friendly African guy who used to charge you what he thought was appropriate, always far too much but he was far too large to argue with. However, last time I was there he had gone and it had become automated and at least equally expensive.

Like many of the old London parking garages the spaces are now rather too small for modern cars.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 21:15
 Fuel fillers - PhilW
I drive 2 or 3 different cars every day (when working delivering the things!)
So, boring post coming up on location filler caps!
Some general rules:-
1. All recent cars have an indication of where filler caps are. Either an arrow (MB, Mini, Audi) or the petrol pump symbol has the hose showing which side filler cap is. (Early (BMW type)Minis have the pump the other way round!)
2. Almost all European cars have filler on driver's side (MB, Audi, BMW) but some have it on nearside (Mini)
3. Japanese cars tend to have it on nearside (Mitsubishi, Honda, Toyota)
4. Most European cars do not have a filler release button/lever (BMW, MB, Land/Range Rovers) it's just press the "lid" and release.
5. Most Japanese cars have filler cap which is released by a lever either on floor on drivers side between seat and door (Mitsubishi, Toyota?)or a lever which is cunningly hidden (unless you are on hands and knees in diesel spillage) on A pillar under dashboard next to bonnet release lever. Sods law says you open bonnet before filler cap and only realise when rejoining motorway. (Honda, Nissan)
6. Fords have no filler cap to undo - it's incorporated into filler flap.
7. Most vans (Sprinter) have filler flap just behind passenger door and often require passenger door to be opened before flap can be opened. SWB Transits (I think) have filler further back.
8. Some cars don't fit these generalities. Audi Q7 (and other Audis?) has a button in door pocket to release flap as do some others which I can't remember (I seem to think that some Jags have a release button in an odd place). Maseratis have a button in the glove box (!). Aston Martins have an illuminated (red) button deep in driver's footwell (impossible to see unless lying face down in diesel spillage!) Rear engine Porches have a press and release filler cap on offside front wing. Panameras, Cayennes and Macans have press and release on offside rear wing.
9. Thankfully, most cars will no longer allow you to put a diesel nozzle into a petrol car and vice-versa!!
Told you it would be boring and despite all this I occasionally have had to ring up a mate to ask "Where's the fuel flap release on such-and -such car?"
And no doubt some of you will point out errors in my points!
P
This is a very long thread about a fairly limited subject. How long can people go on faffing about whether the car tells them where the filler cap is, when any normal person would have seen it from the outside and after forgetting a few times, would remember?

Has my car got a little arrow in the facia display to tell me where the damn thing is? I don't know and I don't care. Not the sort of thing a sane person would bother to notice.
 Fuel fillers - madf
Driving Japanese cars is simple: filler on the offside.. Or is it the bearside? Or the nearside?

It's my alsymers.. Hic.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 05:28
 Fuel fillers - Duncan
>> Has my car got a little arrow in the facia display to tell me where
>> the damn thing is? I don't know and I don't care.

When my party get into power, you will be forced both to know and to care.

Ve vill haf vays und means.
 Fuel fillers - Pat
*tut*

Surely it doesn't take a woman to explain that if your door mirrors are set correctly all you have to do is look in them to see which side the filler is on?

Pat
 Fuel fillers - henry k
Owners of some older Jaguars are relaxed about fuel fillers.
They have one on the left AND on the right.
 Fuel fillers - henry k
Now if you have an electric car the charger plugs in where ???
 Fuel fillers - Zero
>> Owners of some older Jaguars are relaxed about fuel fillers.
>> They have one on the left AND on the right.

Being so voracious for fuel, they had to be filled from both sides at once.
 Fuel fillers - Manatee
>> >> Owners of some older Jaguars are relaxed about fuel fillers.
>> >> They have one on the left AND on the right.
>>
>> Being so voracious for fuel, they had to be filled from both sides at once.

Certainly voracious - I helped with a wedding job a couple of months ago, driving my pal's V12 1975ish XJC "convertible". They have two tanks, with a switch to change over from one to the other.
 Fuel fillers - Dave_
>> Owners of some older Jaguars are relaxed about fuel fillers.
>> They have one on the left AND on the right.

And Morgan +8s. It doesn't matter which side of the pump I pull up to, I have to open both fuel caps to allow air out as petrol goes in.

ISTR the rule of thumb was that fuel flaps are located on the passenger side in the country the car was designed in. Someone will provide me with an exception to that rule, no doubt.
>> Someone will provide me with an exception to that rule, no doubt.

Maybe, Qashqai ?

Right side filler, arguably a bit British but at least Japanese design. Both RHD countries.
 Fuel fillers - Slidingpillar
Metro and Maestro have drivers (right hand) side fillers.
>> a bit British but at least Japanese design. Both RHD countries.

But most markets are LHD Humph... they're all 'world cars' these days, or would like to be.
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>>STR the rule of thumb was that fuel flaps are located on the passenger side in the country the car was designed in.
>> Someone will provide me with an exception to that rule, no doubt.

My Jaguar X type was designed where?
The filler is on the drivers side.
I think it was designed as a LH drive car and adapted to RH
WHY? Brake servo is on the passenger side and rest for clutch foot is on the passenger side.

IIRC My 1998 MKII Mondeo had the servo on the passenger side and the filler is certainly on the drivers side.

Fuel fillers - rtj70
>> I think it was designed as a LH drive car and adapted to RH
>> WHY? Brake servo is on the passenger side and rest for clutch foot is on the passenger side.

It was designed as a Mondeo, It was/is mostly a Mondeo.
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>> It was designed as a Mondeo, It was/is mostly a Mondeo.
>>
The old old story still doing the rounds ? :-(
Mostly ?? The usual statement is that the X Type is 19/20% Mondeo.
That includes items like highly modified floor pan, modified V6 engine, calipers, boot lock, some switch gear, jack etc.
They took parts of an award winning design and developed from that.
 Fuel fillers - Old Navy
>>
>> It was designed as a Mondeo, It was/is mostly a Mondeo.
>>

Just a Ford in drag, except to those daft enough to pay Jaguar prices for them. :)

But most cars come from a generic parts bin with a different bashed tin shell.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 08:26
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>> >> It was designed as a Mondeo, It was/is mostly a Mondeo.
>> Just a Ford in drag, except to those daft enough to pay Jaguar prices for them. :)
>>
Just your view.
>> But most cars come from a generic parts bin with a different bashed tin shell.
>>
Indeed. Aston Martin V!2 cars are powered by two Mondeo V6 engines. "
 Fuel fillers - Zero

>> Indeed. Aston Martin V!2 cars are powered by two Mondeo V6 engines. "

Means of course they go twice as fast, use twice as much petrol, go wrong twice as often, but surprisngly cost 4 times as much to service and parts are 8 times more expensive.
 Fuel fillers - Zero
>> *tut*
>>
>> Surely it doesn't take a woman to explain that if your door mirrors are set
>> correctly all you have to do is look in them to see which side the
>> filler is on?
>>
>> Pat

Exactly, who needs to see anyone overtaking
 Fuel fillers - Pat
>>>Exactly, who needs to see anyone overtaking<<

...from someone who can't even see a bus in front of him?

Pat
 Fuel fillers - Zero
the bus was never in front of me. I got there before it did.
 Fuel fillers - Duncan
>> the bus was never in front of me. I got there before it did.
>>

So, it wasn't your fault?

Why have you never told us this?
 Fuel fillers - Zero
>> >> the bus was never in front of me. I got there before it did.
>>
>> >>
>>
>> So, it wasn't your fault?
>>
>> Why have you never told us this?

I shouldn't have got there first.
 Fuel fillers - henry k
>> Exactly, who needs to see anyone overtaking
>>
or the Undertakers :-)
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
"Surely it doesn't take a woman to explain that if your door mirrors are set correctly all you have to do is look in them to see which side the filler is on?"

Do you know Pat that sounded really plausible and I wondered why I had not noticed in all these years of driving .

Today I drove two cars a Golf and a Citigo. I thought I would experiment but no matter whether the mirrors are adjusted "correctly" or otherwise it is impossible to see the filler flap using the door mirror. Looking at other cars the laws of optics would seem to preclude such a possibility on most models.

As you say it takes a woman;-)
Perhaps fuel fillers should be all like the one on my vintage car. It's in the front, in the middle of what most think is the bonnet (the panel is in fact called the cowl).

Actually though, suggested in jest as I cannot for a moment envisage anyone thinking 3.5 gallons of fuel above the drivers legs is a terribly good idea...
 Fuel fillers - madf
>> Perhaps fuel fillers should be all like the one on my vintage car. It's in
>> the front, in the middle of what most think is the bonnet (the panel is
>> in fact called the cowl).
>>
>> Actually though, suggested in jest as I cannot for a moment envisage anyone thinking 3.5
>> gallons of fuel above the drivers legs is a terribly good idea...
>>

IS it an open the bonnet job and try not to spill petrol on engine?
Bonnet, what's one of those?
See my website for a few pictures and the rebuild saga:
www.slidingpillar.co.uk/
 Fuel fillers - Bromptonaut
Only if the door mirrors are set completely incorrectly, to much car/insufficient rear view, can I even hope to see the cover for the filler cap on either Berlingo.

Right side on mine (05) but left in Mrs B's (63) and unless I position very carefully indeed neither the 'extra length hoses at Sainsbury nor those at Tesco will reach across properly. Marginally easier with mine than hers as overall it's considerably smaller.

Pump pictogram on both fuel gauges has filler pipe on right.
 Fuel fillers - CGNorwich
Which side the filler pipe is on the pictogram is of no relevance and its significance is a bit of an urban myth. It's the little triangular arrow next to the pictogram which indicates which side the filler cap side of the vehicle is on .

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280536/Has-motoring-writer-solved-riddle-plagued-drivers-decades.html
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 18:02
>> Has my car got a little arrow in the facia display to tell me where the damn thing is?

It has. Funny I never noticed it before. Not that it's necessary in any way.

The filler flap isn't visible in the o/s r/v mirror. Just as well. One doesn't want too much information. Causes brain overload.

TCHAH!, frankly.

Fuel fillers - T junction
Humber Super Snipe I seem to remember. My Grandfather had one and as a 12 year old I was fascinated by the filler cap.
 Fuel fillers - bathtub tom
>>Humber Super Snipe

Thank you T junction, that's the one, although I doubt anyone will see this now so far up the thread.
How do you post halfway down a thread? I clicked "reply to this message" beneath the post I wanted to reply to as can be seen from the popup to the left of the subject, but my post ended up down here.
 Fuel fillers - Focusless
But according to the threaded view, you replied to bathtub tom, which was the last post in the thread at the time:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=18817&v=t

('View Threaded' at top of thread page)
 Fuel fillers - Focusless
>> How do you post halfway down a thread? I clicked "reply to this message" beneath
>> the post I wanted to reply to

To answer your question, yes, if replying to a specific post then you should click on the 'reply to this message' link of that post. But your reply will only appear directly underneath the specific post if someone else hasn't already replied to it (which you can tell from the threaded view).
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 15:23
>> (which you can tell from the threaded view).

Ahh! I see that now, very rarely use threaded view as I find it more convenient to just keep scrolling down the thread as I read.
 Fuel fillers - John Boy
This is probably a good time to ask a general forum question.

I only log on to make a post and I always log off before leaving. Sometimes when I return there is a visual indication of new posts (red text and green background), but sometimes there isn't, despite the fact that new posts have been made. I haven't figured out the logic. Is there one?
Last edited by: John Boy on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 17:03
 Fuel fillers - Focusless
AFAIK you only see the 'new' indications if logged in. But there are different levels of being logged in ie. you can be logged in but still have to enter your password to post a new, er, post if you haven't posted for a while. Not sure whether that helps :)
 Fuel fillers - VxFan
John Boy,

If you haven't read all "new" posts before logging off, they end up getting marked as read. Only new posts made after logging off will then be flagged as "new"

Also, if you leave your browser page open on C4P while logged off, that'll also clear them when you next log in.

Presumably you don't also clear cookies, or run a program like CCleaner periodically? If you delete the C4P cookie, that'll also wipe any posts marked as "new". You can customise CCleaner to remember cookies that you don't want deleting.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 18:16
 Fuel fillers - Focusless
Thanks for that Vx. However I never log off, but still miss posts that have been posted since last visiting the site because they're not flagged as new; what sequence of events causes that to happen?
 Fuel fillers - Focusless
>> Thanks for that Vx. However I never log off

Ok, I don't fully understand the definition of being 'logged in'. Just closed and restarted Chrome, and C4P shows me as user=Focusless, but I've still got the option to log in. I assumed that if it knew who I was, I was logged in.
 Fuel fillers - VxFan
>> Thanks for that Vx. However I never log off, but still miss posts that have
>> been posted since last visiting the site because they're not flagged as new; what sequence
>> of events causes that to happen?

The system automatically logs you off after approx. 20 mins (or is it 10, can't remember)

Regardless of that though, if you've not read all "new" posts before disappearing for a while, once the system logs you out, anything you've not read will have been marked as read.

I don't know the full ins and outs of the system, other than from experience if you've not read all new posts during your visit, those you missed when you leave will get marked as read, and the only new posts that'll appear when you next visit are the ones that have been posted since your last visit. Hope that's not too confusing. I've just read that back myself and it could be. It's hard to explain as you can probably tell.
 Fuel fillers - Focusless
:)

Thanks - I guess it doesn't really matter how the current system works, but personally I would prefer it if it only 'forgot' about new posts when I asked it to. But I get the impression Stephen is in no hurry to change the current software, which isn't unreasonable given what we pay for it :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 3 Jan 15 at 17:21
 Fuel fillers - Cliff Pope
>> >> (which you can tell from the threaded view).
>>
>> Ahh! I see that now, very rarely use threaded view as I find it more
>> convenient to just keep scrolling down the thread as I read.
>>

I've never properly understood how to use the different views, which perhaps explains some exasperated reactions when I've put seemingly irrelevant replies in the wrong bit.

I like to image the forum as like a noisy pub meeting of the C4P Enthusiasts. There are lots of threads and sub-threads going on at the same time, and to keep track of anything interesting you just have to chip in somewhere. The last person to say anything tends to be noticed.
If you get buttonholed into a corner the interesting arguments tend to happen somewhere else.
 Fuel fillers - Duncan
>> If you get buttonholed into a corner the interesting arguments tend to happen somewhere else.
>>

Also, just like being in a pub, or at a party, don't sit down, or the forum bore will come and sit next to you and then you are trapped!
Latest Forum Posts