Motoring Discussion > Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 25

Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Looking at a pre-reg new RAV-4 AWD with the 2.2 diesel engine, autobox, for SWMBO. Anyone got any experience of owning/driving one of these? Any bad reliability reputation?

4WD + diesel + automatic is a rare combination in these parts. The majority of soft-roaders are petrol engined...

Possible alternatives would may be be: Mitsi Outlander, or a KIA.

TIA!
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - MD
I guess it's the Renault engine much the same as in my van. If so no problem as such. The auto box I know nothing about. If that we're Renault however I might have reservations!
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Old Navy
I know that Renault own Nissan and Dacia, but I did not know of a link with Toyota.
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - movilogo
>> The majority of soft-roaders are petrol engined..

Is it??

I thought one would struggle to find a petrol engined soft/off roader!

>> >> The majority of soft-roaders are petrol engined..
>>
>> Is it??
>>
>> I thought one would struggle to find a petrol engined soft/off roader!
>>

That may be true in Europe, but it is a big world and Auntie may be around the other side of it.

If a sphere has sides. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 5 Jan 15 at 09:32
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - WillDeBeest
The 2.2 diesel in our 2008 Verso certainly wasn't by Renault. It was rattly but reliable enough with one big exception: a horrible cold smoking problem that was fixed under warranty with five (yes, five) new injectors. Assuming that was a design fault that was fixed by 2014, I'd have no worries. (And assuming it's still the same basic engine, of course.)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 5 Jan 15 at 09:50
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - madf
The 20.2 Engine is Toyota's own and made in a new factory in Eastern Europe..

RAV4 was Which's most reliable 4x4...

The 2.2 engine from 2006-9 had inherent design faults - warranty extended to 7 years 110k miles.. solved by redesign of injection system , cylinder head, piston rings and DPF.. Post 2009 are OK.

Not one of Toyota's best design efforts..
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Falkirk Bairn
CRV auto - petrol or diesel

I have the petrol because of low miles - good, reliable but slow.
The 2.2. diesel has more grunt - being replaced by a new re-vamped 1.6 diesel shortly so there is a deal to be done on the 2.2 or wait for the new 1.6 diesel roughly 160bhp.

A relation has a 2.2 auto Rav 4, 180bhp + loads of kit - it had been alright but at 4 years the water pump failed - they still have it but due to health issues little use in the last 2 years I cannot tell you it has been reliable after the water pump failure.

Water pumps seem to crop up with Toyotas - my son's Lexus & D-i-Ls Rav had water pumps replaced about the same time as the above mentioned Rav
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - movilogo
I was researching myself on RAV4. However, 2-3 yr used model came out to be way too expensive when compared with similarly aged Kia Sportage.

Then I compared Toyota Auris Tourer (non hybrid models) with Kia Ceed Sportwagon again Toyotas came too pricey!

I understand Toyotas are supposed to be indestructible but not sure if their latest models stand up to that reputation. The Toyota owners forums do have list of complaints (and Kia Sportage has its own problems as well). But I don't think any car is completely problem free.
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Duncan
>> That may be true in Europe, but it is a big world and Auntie may
>> be around the other side of it.
>>
>> If a sphere has sides. :)
>>

What makes you think it is spherical?
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Slidingpillar
It's actually an oblate spheroid...
Obviously pedantry has fields of all shapes. :)
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Ted

To you, Slidey, it's an oblate sheroid. But to me, it's home !
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Lemma
I have precisely the model you are interested in - 2.2D, auto. It is an ex demonstrator Icon and came with extras such as heated leather, sat nav, roof rails, tow bar and grey alloys. It now has a touch over 20k on the clock and nothing has gone wrong, I recollect the handbrake was tightened at the first service and the TPMS light flickered in the recent cold snap, a known issue apparently. Otherwise, as they say about Toyotas, boring!

The journalists suggest the Mazda CX-5 is the model to go for, the Rav gets around 3 out of 5 blobs so middle of the roadish. However if you read CX5 owners reports then these are rather more mixed. Many are happy but those who are not tend to be confirmed in their view. Diesel filling the sump on regeneration is a common issue together with some engine, tyre wear and brake problems. Dealers seem unable or reluctant to sort things so if you get a dodgy one it can be a problem. Journalists seem to pick various things with the Rav, most comment on the 1980s digital clock (big deal!) and comment about performance, handling, steering and so on. Nothing specific but it seems a rather general indifference.

Well, as somebody who has one, at first I thought it OK. However after 6 months and 10k miles all over Europe I am much happier. I have come to really like the car. I enjoy the comfort, space and luggage room as well as the toys like DAB radio and Bluetooth music. I don't know what journalists mean when they write about handling, steering etc. stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 or getting to the supermarket it is all pretty meaningless. I find it starts on the button, drives nicely, changes gear well both up and down, goes round corners as I expect and stops as it should. What's not to like?

I have had several Toyotas now and find them very reliable and economical. With the Rav I get about 39 mpg in the summer, a little less in the colder weather but it has never dropped below about 36mpg in mixed driving. A minor service is £199, major £239 every 10k. On a European trip with four adults and fully loaded we averaged 38mpg cruising the autoroutes at 75. I tend to think that with Toyotas they are not exceptional in any one area - performance, economy, looks etc but overall offer a very well rounded package. My local dealer is not just good but excellent. There is one thing though, I do find that on rough surfaces the tyre and road noise can be intrusive. Otherwise I intend to keep the car for the next 3 or maybe 4 years whilst it is still in warranty. No regrets on my part.
Mazda CX-5 would have been top of the list, but I'm not going anywhere near their diesel engines based upon the stories I have heard!

Honda is petrol-engined only over here.

The sole Nissan X-trail diesel supplied here is 2WD only...

Kia seems pricier than Toyota here...

RAV-4 looks the best bet!
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Ted

I've been thinking it might be time for a change and the RAV4 2.2 Auto has been flickering around at the back of my brain, Nick.

That post from Lemma was really useful....thanks.

I might give up work this Spring and we wouldn't need 2 cars. The Grand Vitara is a bit battered for SWM so I might be able to talk her into swapping the auto 1.6 Note for something like a RAV and me putting the dosh from the GV into the deal She wouldn't go back to a manual and the RAV, with it's slightly bigger engine would pull the caravan well, I imagine. I also have the advantage of being very well ' in ' with the local main agent, where I spend a fair amount of time ( and money...not mine, though ! )

I might then use our redundant NCB and get something cheap and small to use as a ' fleet ' car for the family. It can live here quite easily.

I get so little ' rescue ' work now that most of my jobs can be done using the free tram. Sometimes I need to take my jump leads or booster but I can always grab one of our two company cars which live in the village.

I'll have the Jowett on the road in Spring and I've always got the Honda 600 ready to go !
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - BobbyG
Lemma, excellent, constructive feedback.

Interesting reading, thank you.
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Lemma
Happy to help! Especially for chums in NZ, a place for which I have a very soft spot. In fact we tow a caravan as well, just a lightweight one, and I can report that it is problem free with the Rav. However factory fitted towbars are pricey as one might expect, fortunately mine came as part of the demo fitted extras. The extension door mirrors made by Maypole don't fit, so I splashed out and bought a pair of Milencos, expensive but excellent.
The dealership is quoting 530 quid to fit a towbar, which seems OK to me, compared with the hassle of shopping round for a competent independent fitter.

The engine looks grunty enough on paper, haven't had a test drive yet though. The 0-60 time - FWIW - looks a bit pedestrian, but in the real world I guess it's a fairly irrelevant statistic. It does seem to be a heavy vehicle - heavier than the out-going X3.

Anyway, on paper the car and the deal look to be streets ahead of the competition! Now to arrange a test drive...
Still trying to find an alternative car to benchmark the RAV-4 against. Best I can come up with would be the Kia Sportage EX 2.0 diesel. Any Sportage drivers out there..?
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Auristocrat
"Still trying to find an alternative car to benchmark the RAV-4 against."

Hyundai Santa Fe
Nissan X-Trail
Skoda Yeti
Honda CRV
Mazda CX5
Vauxhall Antara
VW Tiguan
Hyundai Santa Fe - pricier
Nissan X-Trail - petrol only over here
Skoda Yeti - small?
Honda CRV - petrol only
Mazda CX5 - heard about their diesel in the sump issues?!!
Vauxhall Antara - Holden over here, no thanks
VW Tiguan - pricier

Anyone got any experience of SSangyong? Korando or the larger Musso?
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - madf
Today's Daily Telegraph has a review of SSangyong. Poor reliability, horrible to drive, lots of kit. 4 out of 10.
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - Avant
If you're talking about comparing one car with another, surely the RAV-4 and Skoda Yeti are much of a muchness in terms of size?
 Toyota RAV-4 - 2014 RAV-4 2.2 diesel: any experience? - andyfr
Yeti
• Height1645
• Height (including roof rails)1691
• Length4222
• Wheelbase2578
• Width1793

Rav4
• Height1660
• Height (including roof rails)1705
• Length4570
• Wheelbase2660
• Width1845
Odd. I perceive the Yeti to be smaller, Roomster-size. Anyway, they are as rare as rocking horse poo over here.

Close to a deal on the Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 diesel. Cheaper than the RAV4, better equipped, and with the Mitsi 5-year warranty. (Toyota warranty is only 3 years here...)
Latest Forum Posts