Motoring Discussion > Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 20

Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - movilogo
Mitsubishi now offers 5-yr warranty.

www.newcarnet.co.uk/Mitsubishi_news.html?id=14204

Whereas Vauxhall has withdrawn lifetime warranty!

www.whatcar.com/car-news/vauxhall-drops-lifetime-warranty/1315228

Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - Zero
Well give that my mitsi will be 8 years old next month, with 125k miles up, and required no non service items, I would guess they are on a safe wicket.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Jan 15 at 12:51
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - Bill Payer
>> Well give that my mitsi will be 8 years old next month, with 125k miles
>> up, and required no non service items, I would guess they are on a safe
>> wicket.
>>

Just got rid of the Colt in our family at a little over 7yrs. Having spent absolutely nothing on it apart from service items, it was starting to show various niggles and I thought we should get shut while the going was good.
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - Focusless
>> Just got rid of the Colt in our family at a little over 7yrs. Having
>> spent absolutely nothing on it apart from service items, it was starting to show various
>> niggles and I thought we should get shut while the going was good.

Mmm... just booked our 07 reg Colt in to sort out problematic gear selection. Been ok up to now, but we're also starting to think about a replacement.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 6 Jan 15 at 15:21
>> Mmm... just booked our 07 reg Colt in to sort out problematic gear selection. Been
>> ok up to now, but we're also starting to think about a replacement.
>>

That was another thing which put me off selling it privately - gear selection has always been a bit baulky and I thought that would put off especially new drivers.
Gear selection used to be absolutely fine, until a few months ago when selecting 3rd (IIRC) started to become a bit tricky; it even got a mention on the MoT. We were going to get it looked at, but it seemed to gradually sort itself out so we didn't.

But over Christmas it suddenly got worse again, hence the trip to the local indie tomorrow.
>> But over Christmas it suddenly got worse again, hence the trip to the local indie
>> tomorrow.

Well it's ok again, for now anyway. Nice chap at garage said he basically just squirted some WD40 in the gear selector bit and wiggled it around. Would have taken selector off for better look, but wanted to talk to their gearbox expert first to check he wouldn't break anything, and expert on holiday until 19th.

£75 - 1.25 hours labour (invoice mentions "remove air filter housing and air intake pipework to gain access to gearbox"). Plus he did spend 5 minutes on the phone (his call) explaining what he had and hadn't done and options for the future. I consider anything under £100 a bargain, especially if it actually fixes something :)
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - DP
>> Well give that my mitsi will be 8 years old next month, with 125k miles
>> up, and required no non service items, I would guess they are on a safe
>> wicket.

My dad's experience with an L200 suggests this isn't universal.
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - Auristocrat
The Mitsubishi warranty is five years/62,500 miles (125,000 on the L200). A bit less attractive for those who do higher than average mileage, whereas the Toyota mileage limit is 100,000 and Hyundai unlimited.
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - CGNorwich
Longer warranty = declining sales
>> Longer warranty = declining sales

I thought it was the opposite!

Hyundai & Kia's sales have increased after 5/7-yr warranty.

I meant longer warranty is the result of declining sales of Mitsubishis. It is invariably a move to stimulated increased sales and stem the decline especially in brands which may lack other selling points. A cost effective alternative to cutting the price.
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - WillDeBeest
Yes, Movi, but why did they feel the need to offer the longer warranty in the first place?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 7 Jan 15 at 11:10
Like I said declining sales.
Every manufacturer tries to gain sales volume via some USPs.

This often works on the basis of perceived benefits rather than physical quality of goods.

Hyundai/Kia were perceived as poor cars in the past. So they had to offer some USP to raise their market share. Now their shares have increased so they increased prices too (they are no longer offering budget price cars).

Same is true for Skoda (old jokes on them). But they improved quality so much under VW that that people's perception changed.

Toyota introduced 5-yr warranty after they got so much bad press from recalls and accelerator sticking news.

Mitsubishi's market share is very small. They are now trying hard to get more sales so increase of warranty (although 62.5k miles is too low).

My Kia dealer is a Mitsu dealer as well. They said not many private buyers buy Mitsu and they sell lot more Kias than Mitsus. Mitsubishi, in general, make good reliable cars. Yet, their sales fallen because people don't perceive them offering good value for money.

Simply speaking, nowadays people perception about warranty is
shorter warranty = big cost of repair when things go wrong after warranty = so avoid them

Now you may argue UK's biggest brands like VW, Ford, Vauxhall have 3-yr warranties only but majority of those cars are bought by fleet buyers at big discount.

VW' USP is perceived engineering quality. Ford's is good value for money,design and niice to drive .Vauxhall give you loads for your money.

Most private new car buyers don't plan to keep the car for more than 3 years so warranty not much of an issue. Older car purchasers tend to keep car longer and are more money concious and will choose a longer warranty over design style or performance.

>> Most private new car buyers don't plan to keep the car for more than 3 years so warranty not much of an issue

May be just because most warranties run out at 3-yrs?

Even if you change car within warranty period, a remaining warranty usually results in higher sale price.
Older car purchasers...

Older purchasers or older cars?
>> My Kia dealer is a Mitsu dealer as well. They said not many private buyers
>> buy Mitsu and they sell lot more Kias than Mitsus. Mitsubishi, in general, make good
>> reliable cars. Yet, their sales fallen because people don't perceive them offering good value for
>> money.
>>

They have a weird range. They replaced Colt with the quite different and awful Mirage. Apart from the i-MiEV everything else they offer is an SUV or truck.
Courting irrelevance because - as with Honda and Subaru - their priorities lie elsewhere?
 Mitsi now offers 5-yr warranty - madf
>> Courting irrelevance because - as with Honda and Subaru - their priorities lie elsewhere?
>>

I think nail on head..

US /Chinese markets reign supreme.

UK is but a sideshow..
Latest Forum Posts