Motoring Discussion > BMW - Self-parking BMW... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 11

BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Fursty Ferret
www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7494989/bmw-i3-self-parking-anti-collision-ces-2015

The best bit? You get out at the entrance to the car park, whack the button on the remote, and it wanders off and finds a parking space.

It takes me, on average, 15 minutes of aimless driving around to find a space in the work multistory. Dump it on arrival, hit the "pick me up" button on final approach. This will be brilliant.

Admittedly it probably works better in a gated compound where it can't escape. I also wonder whether I'd get a slightly panicked phone call from the car at some point along the lines of "HELP, I'M LOST..." or "I CAN'T FIND A SPACE, WHERE SHOULD I GO?".

BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Zero

>> "I CAN'T FIND A SPACE, WHERE SHOULD
>> I GO?".

And being 36000 feet away, there is rock all you can do about it.
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - VxFan
>> The best bit? You get out at the entrance to the car park, whack the
>> button on the remote, and it wanders off and finds a parking space.

Does it have enough intelligence not to park next to 4x4s, trademens Ford Transits, etc or other potential door ding senarios?
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - movilogo
Those who can drive but not park, I equate them with airline pilots who can take off but not land :o)

Hiring a chauffeur can be cheaper than self-parking cars ;)

BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Fursty Ferret
>> Those who can drive but not park, I equate them with airline pilots who can
>> take off but not land :o)
>>
>> Hiring a chauffeur can be cheaper than self-parking cars ;)
>>
>>
>>
>>

Oh, I can park - I'm just see it as a complete waste of my time. This car would - if I had the only one - knock 25 minutes off my round trip journey. That's nearly 4 days a year extra at home.

That'll be the next question on the insurance form: "Do you or your car have any penalty points?
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Crankcase
That would be a really hopeless car for Starsky and Hutch. It would refuse point blank to drive through any cardboard boxes.
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - CGNorwich
or greengrocery stalls.
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Armel Coussine
Self-driving cars, even if all they do is park by themselves, are a terrible idea and very silly.

Their very existence will encourage people to drive even more badly than they do already.
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - IJWS14
Leads to the question "Now where did I park the car".
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Zero
>> Leads to the question "Now where did I park the car".

You just need to whistle up the car to meet you, using your smart phone.

You didn't run the smartphone battery down on that long flight did you??
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Crankcase
As long as someone hasn't put a box in front of it. "Collision imminent. Shutting down. Don't care".
 BMW - Self-parking BMW... - Runfer D'Hills
I lost my car while at a trade show at the NEC once many years ago. There are a lot of car parks at the NEC, especially so when you can't remember which one you left the sodding car in. I resorted to glumly wandering up and down each one clicking my remote key in the hope of seeing a welcoming flicker from an indicator.

Eventually, the security staff took an interest in me, I expect they thought I was up to no good. They had to concede that there were indeed a lot of silver Mondeos in their car parks that day.

I did at last find it but remain convinced to this day that some wag of a colleague decided it would be a jolly jape to move it during the day.

The person I suspect may or may not have been guilty but suffice it to say, he subsequently discovered that the untraceable smell he suffered for weeks in his car came from a mysterious ungutted mackerel which somehow found its way under his spare wheel a few days later.
Latest Forum Posts