Motoring Discussion > Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 21

Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - Manatee
I plan to drive to Lockerbie tomorrow. I'll be on the M1 to J19, then will have to decide whether to carry on or take the M6. I'm unlikely to hit the M1 at J13 before 10.30.

Google maps suggests M6; I'm inclined to go M1/M18/A1/A66 or even M1/A46/A1/A66. Nothing in it distance wise, but Google thinks 15-20 minutes quicker via M6.

I'm pretty sure I'll go M1 if there are no known problems other than the miles of roadworks. I find the full length of the M6 just too boring.

Any advice from the long distance regulars?
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - Alastairw
I'd avoid M6 between Birmingham and Stoke, so your route makes sense. There is still a long 50 limit just after Birmingham which makes thing tedious enough, but add in the seemingly inevitable accidents in that stretch and you get queues at whatever time of day you pass through, in my experience.
That's rather my thoughts - unscientifically I'm pretty sure I've had proportionately more setbacks and late arrivals related to the M6 than any other stretch of motorway, not counting the road to hell of course.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - rtj70
The slow 50mph section of the M6 (assuming it's still there) is boring.... and someone crashed southbound ahead of my into the central barrier. Boredom or texting probably.

>> I find the full length of the M6 just too boring.

Coming back from relatives in South Wales I could use the M4/M5/M6/M56. I chose the M4/A40/M50/M6/M56 because it means I'm not on the M5 so long. Doing the journey there I avoid the Severn crossing to avoid paying so the route I do is the reverse.

I sometimes if time permitting do the route across mid Wales. A nice drive but a bit long. Not done that in the A3 yet.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - Bromptonaut
M1 to J24 then A50/A500 to M6 J15 is another alternative avoiding the Brum/Staffs bottlenecks on the M6
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - rtj70
>> avoiding the Brum/Staffs bottlenecks on the M6

I've never fathomed how the drivers on that section have some idiots amongst them. Or is it the road. All too often an accident somewhere from M6 junction 13/14 and up to 16. I've seen some stupid driving between the junctions. Is it a 'locals' problem :-) ?

I have seen some appalling driving on some local roads lately too. Particularly a roundabout off the M60 near J1.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - T junction
The other East-West route is the A50. Miss the road works around Birmingham, the ones at Sheffield and the ones at Catterick. Just got the slow traffic around Knutsford to contend with.

Hmm. Will think about the A50 in the morning. It's years since I used it and it was slow, but maybe it's had some improvements. Certainly the alternatives have had some unimprovements in the mean time!
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - T junction
A50 dual carriageway all way from M1 to A500, which is also dual carriageway to M6.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - Stuartli
Used to use the A50 to Donington Park many a time from the M6 and always found it a fast and normally reasonably quiet part of the journey.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - Dave_
It depends on what speed you're happy cruising at. The M6 has the advantage of being 3 lanes wide, so you'll always be able to pass lorries doing 56mph. If that's not an issue then the A1/A66 is a much nicer drive with more stopping places.
>> A50 dual carriageway all way from M1 to A500, which is also dual carriageway to
>> M6.

As TJ says, it's dualled all the way. There are maybe four roundabouts between M1/J24 and the A500, mostly on outskirts of Uttoxeter. It's usually free flowing unless the gantries are signalling it as an avoiding route for problems on M1 or M6.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - WillDeBeest
And some people still wonder why we'd rather talk about bread.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - henry k
Doh !
On the day, I think the M50 route was the best, so thanks for the suggestion. I had more or less decided to do that anyway and when the matrix signs on the M1 around Northampton notified a closure of the M18 that clinched it!

313m, took about 5hrs 40m with a brief stop on the M6.

Return today was off the M6 at J38, via Mallerstang to Hawes, then a hop over to Wharfedale and down the dale to Skipton... much more pleasant despite iffy weather and a lot of water - some spectacular waterfalls going on and many flooded pastures in the valleys.

The M1 was vile in the wet and dark, so bailed at Crick and came down the A5 - nearly 8 hours to get home, including stops in Hawes and Towcester, but I never regret a visit to Hawes or the drive over to Hubberholme.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 12 Jan 15 at 20:39
Glad it worked OK Manatee.

On a matter of pedantry Skipton is in the Aire (and Leeds/Liverpool canal). Presumably you crossed the hause between the two valleys without noticing?
Ha ha, well I certainly went from Wensleydale to Wharfedale without passing GO, and down as far as Grassington before swerving off to Skipton via Cracoe, Rylstone etc :)

SUNWACD to you.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 12 Jan 15 at 21:19
>> SUNWACD to you.

I had to Google that before I remembered Mr Griffin drawing the Yorkshire rivers on the blackboard.

He also drew a diagram showing how you died if you fell in The Strid. The river has gouged out under the rock walls, the current drags you down and then bashes your brains out against the overhang.
>>I had to Google that

You probably found this "map" then, as I did when you gave me the idea.

richd.me/2014/05/rivers-of-yorkshire/

The nascent Wharfe above Hubberholme was racing with brown water this afternoon. I was very tempted to go down as far as Bolton Abbey to have a look at it there, not a day to fall into the Strid I imagine, but the wind was like a knife when I went looking for sustenance in Hawes, and I was in a warm car!
My first suspicion that it was a acronym, possibly rude in a blow me a raspberry sort of sense.

The mnemonic came up reasonably close to top of Google search and as soon as rivers were mentioned the memory fell into place.

The thought of Mr Griffin raised a few more memories. Ostensibly he was a supply/contract teacher covering somebody else's study absence. There was a suspicion though that he was planted by the WRCC to report on the head who's barely sub paederast bullying of staff and pupils might have been reported.
 Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - Fullchat
SUNWACD

Blimey you have taken me back to O level geography!!!!

And for those who are wondering what the hell we are talking about:

Yorkshire rivers from North to South in order:
Swale
Ure
Nidd
Wharfe
Aire
Calder
Don

Simples :)

Best route - M6, or M1/M18/A1/A66? - legacylad
Swaledale, pronounced swaddle, is my favourite of the Dales. A few years ago I spent a month maybe more with a joiner friend converting the dormitories at Keld YH into smaller bedrooms for what is now Keld Lodge. We stayed B & B during the week, drinking & eating in the Farmers Arms, Muker every night. I still do occasional work in that part of the world as it is less than an hours drive from home. It was blinking cold. Mid winter, ice inside the windows until space heaters arrived. Gorgeous views, nice pub in the evening, and I was getting paid for it.
Skipton, or 'skippy the big city' as we call it, is only 25 mins down the road. Lots of water in the Ribble yesterday when I walked over the footbridge on the way to work. I feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.
Latest Forum Posts