Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 20

Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Dave_
My car's been at a Mercedes-approved bodyshop for the last month, being repaired following a rear-end shunt. Its tailgate was slightly pushed in, and the bumper was a bit squashed. No damage to the boot floor, rear lights or quarter panels, although the bent tailgate was letting in exhaust fumes.

This afternoon I discovered that it's still in pieces because the bodyshop has been waiting for an exhaust back box since 20th December. They said that there are none in the UK and that this isn't the first time a repair has been delayed for this reason.

It's not exactly an uncommon model - a 2012 C220CDI estate. Although it's no longer in production, I'm slightly surprised that there are no stocks of something as fundmental as an exhaust pipe.

I asked the bodyshop what was wrong with sourcing one from the nearest Kwik Fit; the response was that they can't use a pattern part as it would render the whole repair non-approved by Mercedes, which would prevent the repair from being warranted.

Although I've got a decent courtesy car, I just want my own car back.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - swiss tony
Expect an email...
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Bill Payer
I regretted putting a KF backbox on a 1986 Polo. After that I only ever bought pukka ones.

I suppose there aren't many around for 2012 cars as they don't often need replacing?
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Avant
I do hate it when someone says something is on 'back order'. The implication is that they've no idea when it will come, and you're not very important to them.

In fairness it's not usually the person telling you who doesn't care; it's someone, or worse, some computer, further up the chain (Mercedes in this case).

I had the same issue with Continental Tyres after an irreparable puncture. Not being able to replace a punctured tyre is pathetic, and I will never, ever, buy a Continental tyre again.
>> I do hate it when someone says something is on 'back order'. The implication is that they've no idea when it will come, and you're not very important to them.

I hate saying those words... you know that a decent ETA will not be forthcoming from the supplier, and many times the part will actually arrive BEFORE the answer to the ETA...
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - movilogo
Dealers can't keep every single parts in their premise as that would be inefficient and will take lots of space.

They store parts which are most commonly required. Newer the model, more difficult to predict which parts may fail (thus having a replacement in house).

Sometimes back order parts can arrive really quickly or if bad luck, it can even take weeks to arrive.

Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - henry k
>> They store parts which are most commonly required. Newer the model, more difficult to predict
>> which parts may fail (thus having a replacement in house).
>>
Sons five year old BMW needed a replacement sensor that was causing intermittent " limp mode".
It was a back order but he found on the web that the part is a common failure.
So much for super stock control.

Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Zero
>> Dealers can't keep every single parts in their premise as that would be inefficient and
>> will take lots of space.

Indeed, which is why they all have centralised parts warehouses.

>> They store parts which are most commonly required. Newer the model, more difficult to predict
>> which parts may fail (thus having a replacement in house).
>>
I can predict - with almost uncanny accuracy, that every model of car will need a back box at some stage.

>> Sometimes back order parts can arrive really quickly or if bad luck, it can even
>> take weeks to arrive.

I hate the term "back order" They are too cowardly to really say, "we don't have it, its on order and we have no idea when or if it will arrive"
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Dave
They're just running a very efficient business. No need to keep parts, because you'll just wait, and sure as eggs are eggs this will be forgotten the next time you buy a car and go all starry eyed in the showroom at the latest quality machinery from the German manufacturer.
this will be forgotten the next time you
>> buy a car and go all starry eyed in the showroom

Errrrr No. If my car is off the road for weeks because they can't get the parts I shan't be anywhere near their showroom when car change time comes
You may not, but the average punter probably will. And what do you do when you find that most of the dealers/manufacturers are the same?
>> You may not, but the average punter probably will. And what do you do when
>> you find that most of the dealers/manufacturers are the same?

I can get pattern parts for most of the others.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Dave_
It looks like a genuine MB part has been sourced from a MB dealer nowhere near me or the bodyshop. Problem hopefully well on the way to being solved.

>> I can get pattern parts for most of the others

I wouldn't have minded, but the bodyshop warranty criteria say otherwise.

The wide availability of pattern parts was the main reason I was happy to run a high mileage Saab for most of 2013. Not that it needed any :)
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Wed 14 Jan 15 at 17:08
>> It looks like a genuine MB part has been sourced from a MB dealer nowhere near me or the bodyshop. Problem hopefully well on the way to being solved.

Great news, hopefully you will soon be enjoying your car again..

It's amazing what can be sourced with a little bit of work. ;-)
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 14 Jan 15 at 22:47
>> >> You may not, but the average punter probably will. And what do you do
>> when
>> >> you find that most of the dealers/manufacturers are the same?
>>
>> I can get pattern parts for most of the others.
>>

I meant what new car would you buy if all dealers/manufacturers have the same lack of parts policies? Ask them all what they think their stock availability is likely to be some time in the future for a range of low useage parts that may be needed in the event of a rear end shunt?
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Armel Coussine
OE parts will give the best performance, noise suppression/enhancement and economy balance, and will last longer as a rule. Stainless replacements are tempting but expensive and noisier than thicker, softer mild steel parts.

The fact is that exhaust components corrode, even when made of stainless, and also weaken through fatigue and stress being often carelessly assembled. They're a constant worry to the motorist. They've cost me a lot of grovelling and barked knuckles over the years. Fortunately I'm too old for that crap now, but not too old to look over the artisan's shoulder and tell him what's what (a rare requirement though).

Oh damn. Garage for the jalopy tomorrow. A day of stress and anxiety and expenditure.
>> I meant what new car would you buy if all dealers/manufacturers have the same lack
>> of parts policies? Ask them all what they think their stock availability is likely to
>> be some time in the future for a range of low useage parts that may
>> be needed in the event of a rear end shunt?
>>

What to stock, and at what level is a bit of a science..

At dealer level, to stock a part requires it to move at least 3-4 times in 12 months, under that it isn't worth stocking.
With parts, you will find that somewhere around 20% of lines equals 80% of movement..

to stock a part requires a considerable amount of investment - of physical space, cost of the part, paying someone to count it at least once a year, etc.

We in the trade hate back ordered parts as much as our customers, a considerable part of my day is spent chasing up the order, giving the customer an ETA, trying other dealers etc.
I would a lot rather sell a part, collect the money, and move on to that next sale than waste my time doing the follow up on unobtainable items...

>> I meant what new car would you buy if all dealers/manufacturers have the same lack
>> of parts policies? Ask them all what they think their stock availability is likely to
>> be some time in the future for a range of low useage parts

I don't consider a back box to be a low usage part, and I would expect at least one in stock in the country and a system in place to ensure its obtained in 48 hours.

Not unreasonable that is it?
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - Duncan
>> I don't consider a back box to be a low usage part,

We (I) don't seem to have to replace exhaust systems the way we used to. Why is that?

I can remember fitting a new exhaust every couple of years. My previous LGEC didn't have any exhaust parts replaced in eight years of ownership. The one I have now is six years old and - fingers crossed - doesn't look as though it's going to need any in the forseeable future.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class estate S204 - Back box on back order - WillDeBeest
Duncan has a point - my two (diesel) cars have run up an aggregate of 18 years and 210,000 miles on their original exhausts.

But, situated where it is, the back box must be vulnerable to accident damage, and Dave's can't be the only car that's needed a new one for that reason. I doubt he'd have had the same wait for a bumper.
>> I hate the term "back order" They are too cowardly to really say, "we don't have it, its on order and we have no idea when or if it will arrive"
>>

Nothing to do with being cowards.
That short expression saves a lot of words during a working day....
Latest Forum Posts