Motoring Discussion > Speeding on a privately owned road Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 15

Speeding on a privately owned road - Fursty Ferret
A new bypass has just opened nearby which joins the A41 to the A413 without needing to go near Aylesbury, which can only be a good thing.

It's a lovely road not entirely dissimilar to the Alpine Testing Course at Millbrook. It's got a 50mph limit on it and a combination footpath / bikepath at the side. So far, so good.

Except the local yobs have discovered that it's a perfect place to use as a drag strip, and come the evening all you can here for miles around are Citroen Saxos with bean can exhausts charging up and down the road at well in excess of the limit.

The police say that because Kier still own the road there's nothing they can do. Is this really the case? It's only a matter of time before someone makes a balls-up and ploughs through a bunch of kids walking to school.

Half tempted to find a nice off-camber bend and stand on the other side with a high vis jacket pointing a hair dryer at oncoming traffic. See how many cars I can collect in the ditch...
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Zero

>> The police say that because Kier still own the road there's nothing they can do.
>> Is this really the case?

Probably not the case. The M6T is owned by a private company but the RTA laws are enforceable.

Its probably something to do with the speed limit not yet been through the proper approvals/notification/ratify procedure. Pretty sure they could still nick you for Dangerous or Drunken Driving.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Manatee
The Western Link Road? I'd better get down there for a speed test while the going's good.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - VxFan
>> come the evening all you can here for miles around are Citroen Saxos with bean can exhausts charging up and down the road at well in excess of the limit.

>> It's only a matter of time before someone makes a balls-up and ploughs through a bunch of kids walking to school.

What, in the evening?
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Mapmaker
About twenty years ago I recall reading an article in the Telegraph that said the RTA applied in all public places, including Tesco's carpark.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Manatee
I do seem to recall though that one of the technicalities that has got people out of speeding convictions was where the LA hadn't completed the formalities of setting/changing the speed limit.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Old Navy
If you got caught drink driving on it, or a supermarket car park, the police might take a different view. It might be a case of the boy racers will perform somewhere, we know where they are, it is the safest local option.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - BobbyG
Boy racers?? Car parks??
Always reminds me of this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=osg-TPz-ewQ

>> >> It's only a matter of time before someone makes a balls-up and ploughs through
>> a bunch of kids walking to school.
>>
>> What, in the evening?
>>
>>

Fine. Walking home FROM school. :-)
 Speeding on a privately owned road - WillDeBeest
The 'formalities' get-out might prevent enforcement of the 50 limit, but if the RTA applies to the road, doesn't it bring with it the national 60 limit?

As I understand it, the only exemptions to this apply to test tracks and other facilities that take specific precautions to exclude the public.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Westpig
Only parts of the Road Traffic Act (RTA) apply on private land.... and there are many different bits to the RTA i.e. enacted in different years..(e.g. 1988, 1992, etc).

Speeding is from the Road Traffic Regulation Act so a different act of parliament altogether.

I'd guess that once the road is formally handed over then enforcement will take place.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - VxFan
>> Fine. Walking home FROM school. :-)

It still won't be evening, unless it's an evening school ;)
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Zero
leave him alone, he lives in a world of permanent jet lag.
>> >> Fine. Walking home FROM school. :-)
>>
>> It still won't be evening, unless it's an evening school ;)
>>

Dark though, innit?
 Speeding on a privately owned road - Fullchat
Could consider s59 Police Reform Act 2002:

Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which—

(a)contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(b)is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,

etc, etc,

Vehicle can be seized on second occurrence if previous warning given

As stated probably not all the enactments in place to enforce speeding. But unless there are restrictions in place as regards access it can be deemed a 'Road' under the RTA and 'Careless / Inconsiderate' could be enforced.
 Speeding on a privately owned road - MD
It is my understanding that if the public can get access to 'it' then bib can enforce. Try being **ssed up and driving in somewhere like that and I think you'll find your collar being tugged.
Latest Forum Posts