Motoring Discussion > Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 21

Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - ToMoCo
I want (don't particularly need) an estate to replace the 406. That's about as far as I've got. Money firmly in pocket for now as I'm all over the place in trying to decide what I would like.

OK, first of all - this really appeals, looks like something I could spanner myself and keep running for years - tinyurl.com/l576rdn
Perhaps a little expensive for what it is though?

Really good 740's (or 760's) just don't seem to be around, that brings me to the more modern V70.

I could pick up a really good looking, early (2000), 2.4 petrol for £1500. A later (04/05) facelift 2.4 petrol under 100000 miles for around £2500.

Also seen a really nice 2.5 turbo (2005) for £3k.

Anyone driven both the 2.4 and the 2.5 turbo for comparisons?

Also from Volvo, spotted a nice V50 T5 - quite rare, it seems. This was just under £4k

Away from Volvo, a W124 really appeals in the way the 240 does, but the good ones are expensive. Still on Mercedes - a newish E320cdi I like, but would be approaching 200000 miles to come in under my set £5000 budget. Big petrol E classes seem few and far between.

A manual 530i touring would be nice, again not a lot to choose from.

A Saab 9-3 2.8 aero also caught my eye, but this was a 2007 model attracting near £500 RFL, OK, small cost in terms of overall ownership I hear you cry, but still, what amounts free service and MOT EVERY year on a pre 2006 model is not to be sniffed at.

Equally, big engined Legacy Outbacks from around 2007 seem ludicrously cheap, but I guess these will be virtually unsaleable a few years from now. However, even the older ones I've discounted along with Hondas as they just bore me a bit.

Really don't want to spend more than £5k (I could for the right car, but less would be better). That way I can virtually wright off the purchase cost over 2 years, otherwise I'd be as well leasing something.

Sorry, long winded and likely to rumble on as I'm so undecided, but, the Petrol volvos - thoughts?
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Lygonos
A 3.0 240hp Legacy bores you but a V50/V70 tickles your fancy?

Madness, sir... madness ;-)
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - nice but dim
Is that ToMoCo with the Soarer or am I thinking of someone else?
>> Is that ToMoCo with the Soarer or am I thinking of someone else?
>>

Yes, will be shared duties with the Soarer.

Toyota if I'm hooning around myself, estate if I'm carting the dog around.
>> A 3.0 240hp Legacy bores you but a V50/V70 tickles your fancy?
>>

Yeah well.... When you put it like that.....haha.

No, I have great respect for the legacy, just the interiors put me off a bit.
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Zero

Yeah, John Dere springs to mind.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Jan 15 at 01:55
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - WillDeBeest
Many years with a Volvo from that era but no experience of a petrol one. But I did my homework all those years ago before ordering the S60, which also offered both the 2.4T and the T5 (which was a 2.3 but with a big kindly-leave-the-cliff turbo. The non-turbo 2.4 wasn't offered in the S60 but with only 140hp seemed less than a match for the V70.

Anyway, consensus at the time was that the T5 was fun for a while but soon became exhausting, and that the 2.4T was almost as fast but much more civilized. But none of the petrol engines in that range were ever great fuel-sippers, and petrol may have got cheaper but it still isn't free.
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - legacylad
Doubtless someone will be along to recommend a Mondeo estate.
Is that a pair of shuffling Crocs I hear....
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Avant
I get the impression that ToMoCo wants something with style that will tickle his fancy, or some similar expression.

It's more than my life's worth than to comment on whether the model mentioned by Legacylad fits that description......

I was trying to think of something with a bit of style that doesn't command premium prices when used - a Volvo does indeed seem to be the obvious contender. Cliff Pope if he sees this will doubtless agree.

I seem to remember that Fenlander had a good experience with an Alfa 156 estate which he kept for a lot longer than he expected to. And anyway, if ToMoCo's other car is a Toyota, he has it to fall back on if the other one should let him down.
>> I get the impression that ToMoCo wants something with style that will tickle his fancy,
>> or some similar expression.

Exactly, just after something interesting or at least semi-luxury.

Ooohh.. good shout on the alfa, i'll have a look.

W211 E Class - I think would need to be post 2006 to avoid poor quality cars? Spotted this tinyurl.com/qegbf7d

But do I really want another 4 pot diesel, plus it's cloth with manual box, wrong on every level for an E class

Volvo 940 - tinyurl.com/oo59hf8
I like this, but not sure if it may quickly just feel like an old wallowy Volvo. A 240 (like the one linked in post 1) at least would feel like it's just on the cusp of being a classic (to me anyway).

Favourite find today is this E61 525i - tinyurl.com/mjhmgu8
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Lemma
Well if you considering a W211 then you might just have the petrol XC70 in sight as well. Don't even think about it. They have a weak transfer box which will almost certainly be problematic at the price levels you are talking about. We trade in Volvos and wouldn't touch these. Mind you we wouldn't touch a W211 either :-) .
Ah, but it's an S211 he's after. Not that I fancied that one much either with its 'Classic' interior. I don't mind fabric seats, and I expect I could learn to live with a manual (one of my airport drivers has one and reckons it's OK). No, it's the orange wood that does it for me, put there as a constant, ugly reminder that I couldn't afford better.
Ok, thanks for the info. I've glanced at the XC70, but not really seriously.

Same with the W211, it would be far too leggy at this price point, but I did think a post 2006 model was a reasonably safe bet.
Let's hope so, eh?
};---)
I had to google S211, didn't know that!

I take you are one of the LEC owners on here Web?
I've been Autocorrected! But yes, my S211 has just passed its sixth birthday and its 70,000th mile, about half of each in my care. The only trouble has come from the rear parking sensors, which I've given up worrying about. Google 'Valeo radiator' and 'SBC braking' for the things that went wrong before 2006; oh yes, and 'rust'.
Update:

I've just used up my years supply of brave pills! but I'll get to that shortly.

Volvo V70 - I discounted these shortly after posting without actually going to see any, just sort of lost interest in them while browsing.

Volvo 240 - I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of these - Can't quite put my finger on the appeal of an old Volvo brick, but I do like them - some issues with (very minor it has to be said) rust and splits in dashboards with the examples I was looking at.

E-Class - S211. Again, nearly. Such a lovely place to sit, and that's a big part of what I'm looking for, just something about the whole package I'm not ready for. I must not be old enough yet! ;-)

E-Class - S124. These still appeal, but trying to find a good one for a decent price that hasn't been to the moon and back....

BMW - E39 Touring - Possibly still my favorite design BMW and still a contender but not really looking.

BMW - E61 - Not as pretty as it's predecessor, but fantastic engines. A bit functional rather than luxurious on the inside. looked at a couple and just felt a bit.. meh...

So that brings me to: -
>> [AVANT]
>> I seem to remember that Fenlander had a good experience with an Alfa 156 estate
>> which he kept for a lot longer than he expected to. And anyway, if ToMoCo's
>> other car is a Toyota, he has it to fall back on if the other
>> one should let him down.
>>

I hadn't considered an Alfa, so thanks (I think!)

Currently top of my list is a 159 Sportwagon 2.4 JTDm Ti

I have a few requirements on colour and interior, so I'm willing to wait for the right car (and blow the budget).

Might take a while, so in the meantime, I've bought sight unseen, a 2.0 petrol 156 Sportwagon. Full reports when I get it delivered!
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Dieselboy
I hope you haven't got a big dog...
He just bought an Alfa Romeo; to some here that means he is a big dog.
}:---)
>> I hope you haven't got a big dog...
>>

lol. yeah, this is the estate that has less capacity than the saloon?

In truth, the i30 we have (not for much longer) is more than enough for the dog, so the 156 hatchback will cope just fine.

(The dog is a border Collie BTW. right around 20kg)
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Zero
Its actually surprising how little room you need for a dog in a car. My 20kg Lab was able to jump in settle down and jump out of my mothers Clio, and the 21kg goldie is perfectly happy in using wifeys fezza.

She is not happy with goldie using the fezza but thats another story.
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 2.5T vs 2.4i - Fenlander
Really looking forward to news/photos of the 156 once it arrives ToMoCo. I hope you have been as lucky as I was with my 2.4JTD which is still sorely missed. I assume it was for peanuts so quite disposable if it turns out to be an iffy one.

Re space there was almost no room in our saloon for Mrs F's handbag never mind the dog.
Latest Forum Posts