Motoring Discussion > One for the weekend. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 15

One for the weekend. - Old Navy
This morning I was two cars back from an extreme Sunday (I know, its Saturday) driver. On a NSL (60) road where 60 is a comfortable safe speed this driver was at a steady 40, braked for each (gentle) bend and aproachig car, stopped to let a car out of a side road when there was approaching 60mph traffic, and dropped to 20 when we got to a 30 limit. The car turned off in the 30 limit village. It takes all sorts, that driver would have fun in busy multi lane city traffic.
 One for the weekend. - MD
A Landscaper from Essex would have sorted him out.:-0)
 One for the weekend. - Zero
he was an essex roofer, its a close run thing
 One for the weekend. - Armel Coussine
>> On a NSL (60) road where 60 is a comfortable safe speed this driver was at a steady 40, braked for each (gentle) bend and aproachig car, stopped to let a car out of a side road when there was approaching 60mph traffic, and dropped to 20 when we got to a 30 limit.

We get those round here ON. Indeed I got one this evening. Zapped past at the first opportunity though.

'I reckon that's a lady,' I sometimes remark to herself when she's present. 'Sexist!' she sort of quietly bellows in response.

It's a national conspiracy between mimser idiots. There's no escape, and the media approve.

Suicide beckons ever more seductively.
 One for the weekend. - No FM2R
>>On a NSL (60) road where 60 is a comfortable safe speed this driver was at a steady 40,

Well, perhaps its arguable whether or not he should have a licence, though one assumes he does. So annoying though it can be, better that than driving at 60mph well out of his ability range.
 One for the weekend. - bathtub tom
Got a private hire car back from the station late last night with one of them driving.

I couldn't understand his English and he couldn't understand mine.

I seriously doubted his capability to hold a driving licence on the (2 mile) journey home and his positioning at a junction a hundred yards from my door put us in a dangerous position.

I won't use that company again (he didn't get a tip)!
 One for the weekend. - legacylad
Plenty of mimsers around my part of the world, especially on the A65 at night. Now I know every overtaking opportunity, there are 17 places, on a twenty mile stretch. But if you have a queue of a dozen or so cars behind said mimser it ain't going to happen. And they then drive bunched up so overtaking a few at a time and forcing your way in would be downright dangerous, so best to sit back and relax. OTOH if there are only a couple of cars behind the mimser and they make no move to overtake at the first few opportunities, then it's third gear, All clear, GO! By the time they realise their might be an opportunity I'm long gone.
 One for the weekend. - Tigger
>>> .. But if you have a queue of a dozen or so cars behind said mimser
>> it ain't going to happen. And they then drive bunched up so overtaking a few
>> at a time and forcing your way in would be downright dangerous, so best to
>> sit back and relax.

I have the same thing on my commute to work. Only a handful of sensible passing places, but you're forced to overtake 3 or 4 at once because they're bumbling along in their own little world with barely a car's length between them.

I got a huge blast on the horn the other morning when I forced my way in at position #2 having overtaken two. But I was gone at the next opportunity and both cars were rapidly a dot in the mirror.
Must admit Tigger I never do that. Maybe in my youth, but unless the tailback behind the mimser are abiding by the two second rule it's all or nothing. Maybe they are scared of overtaking. Maybe they are totally unaware of other drivers behind being able to overtake safely by judicious use of power and anticipation of safe overtaking opportunities coming up. And overtaking say ten or twelve at once has the added serious danger of someone near the front suddenly pulling out when his cells register an opportunity far slower than yours. Something else I avoid.
 One for the weekend. - Old Navy
I once read that Ford (I think) figured out that the average driver rarely used more than a third of their engines maximum power output. Probably why some people have problems with their DPFs. Not a problem that I will have. :)
I would agree with that. Very rarely do I redline my car. I'm quite happy to poodtle along at 65 where the NSL applies on single carriageways, and at an indicated 80/85 on dual & motorways. Occasionally have three figures on very lightly trafficked duals, never on motorways, and only redline, even then occasionally, when overtaking in order to spend as little time as possible on the 'wrong side' of the road.
 One for the weekend. - Runfer D'Hills
I use every last puff of breath my wife's Qashqai has when I drive it. Fortunately its 115 BHP is unlikely to get me into much bother.

;-)
I'm sorry....
 One for the weekend. - Avant
"I once read that Ford (I think) figured out that the average driver rarely used more than a third of their engine's maximum power output."

Whoever at Ford said that is too young to have driven a Ford Popular, or indeed any Ford with an unmodified side-valve engine.
 One for the weekend. - madf
I remember driving a Ford Pop with sidevalve engine.. foot flat down on the acclerator all the time when it was dry..and going nowhere fast.

When it was raining you had to drive slower as the vacuum wipers did not work on full throttle:-)
 One for the weekend. - MD
The last time I rode in one of those my mates Father took us to Frencham Ponds.
Latest Forum Posts