Motoring Discussion > Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 11

Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Stuu
Ive just had the first service on the Cuore since I bought it back in May last year so I feel I have the measure of it now.

Overall Im happy with the car, it does what I need and it has never failed to start or get me where I need to go. It is reliably returning 55-60 mpg on Tesco Momentum, which it seems to run alot better on than standard 95 and with the few extra mpg you get, it is cost neutral to pay the extra for the fuel.

It has had two front tyres at £50 a pop and until very recently hasnt needed anything spending, but it does now need a few bits, especially for the MOT in May. The biggest issue is the fuel filler pipe has corroded so badly that it is now leaking slightly, so is being replaced next week. Sadly this isnt a cheap part and all in the replacement cost is around £250 but luckily there was one in UK stock so it isnt a long wait.
Other more minor issues are a front brake that is sticking off, so a couple of times it has failed to work properly and had me grabbing for the handbrake, but it is a simple case of stripping it down and cleaning it up so it works for the MOT, around £50.
The only other issue is it will need a small patch of welding on one of the rear chassis rails for the MOT, about £90 worth.
Nothing that cant be easily fixed, even if the combined cost is alot, most of it is age related and could happen on alot of cars.

I took it on holiday to Norfolk this year and it ran perfectly, it is actually fairly comfortable on a long run and will sit at 70 quite happily, although recent strong winds do make you aware that it only weighs 750kg.

As yet I am not feeling the desire to change it, although if I do it would only be for another Daihatsu - for whatever reason I always seem to keep them longer than anything else so they must just be the right fit and I am a confirmed fan of the 1.0 3 cyl engine they use.

Ive also had one offer to buy if from me which I turned down, I dont think id find anything as basically sound for the same money without alot of searching, id rather stick with a car I know.
 Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Skip
How old is it Stu ?
14 this year.
 Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Skip
Oh right, its not very often you hear of a car needing welding these days but i suppose at that age its acceptable.
Last edited by: Skip on Thu 22 Jan 15 at 17:57
>>its not very often you hear of a car needing welding these days <<

True but then the electrics fail before it becomes an issue on these new techno cars.
 Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Zero
>
>> Other more minor issues are a front brake that is sticking off, so a couple
>> of times it has failed to work properly and had me grabbing for the handbrake,

Grabbing for the handbrake because the brakes have failed is minor?
 Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Lygonos
Always liked the Cuore.

At least the Avanzato TR-XX R4 variant with the 660cc turbo engine and 4wd.

The 1 litre version is surely a less capable Charade/Sirion?

Worth following this trader on ebay: www.ebay.co.uk/usr/impartsb46?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Is the Subaru/Daihatsu/Isuzu importer selling old stock off super cheap.
>>The 1 litre version is surely a less capable Charade/Sirion?<<

Less capable how? Depends which year Charade/Sirion really.
>>Grabbing for the handbrake because the brakes have failed is minor? <<

The solution is hardly major work either in terms of labour or parts.
 Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Zero
>> >>Grabbing for the handbrake because the brakes have failed is minor? <<
>>
>> The solution is hardly major work either in terms of labour or parts.

true, but its a pretty major issue that I wouldn't be cool about driving with. Plus i suspect that it will need more than a clean up. Brakes sticking on? sure its a sticky pad. Brakes sticking off? hmmm not sure.
>>true, but its a pretty major issue <<

Car stops where I want it and MOT tester said it was safe, just a tad stiff in operation, good enough for me until next week.
 Daihatsu Cuore - 9000 mile report - Lygonos
Maybe this will help (depending on part number).

And as Zero alludes - if the brakes are that crap you need to grab the handbrake get the hell off the road.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-LH-DAIHATSU-WITH-PADS-NEW-OE-PART-/201259840841?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2edc057549
Latest Forum Posts