Motoring Discussion > Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but...
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 12

Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - Alastairw
Walking across the car park at M&S (from Aldi - don't shop at M&S Food myself) I noticed Rio by Duran Duran being played loud enough from a parked Jag XJR to be sure of the song. There was a passenger sat in the front seat and the driver had obviously gone in to M&S. It was sat there with the engine running!

Now I know petrol is cheaper, but surely it would make sense to turn a 5 litre supercharged V8 off while shopping. It wasn't even particularly cold, so passenger could have managed without heater for a few minutes, surely.
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - RattleandSmoke
Got that damn song in my head now!

I suspect the driver knew the car would err run out of electricity if the engine was turned off :p
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - Old Navy
If you can afford the depreciation, tyres, service cost, road tax and insurance, the odd gallon of fuel one way or the other is no problem. :)
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - Armel Coussine
Lived nearby, engine still cold, needing to warm up? No sane snorting monster owner is going to let it rip until it's thoroughly warm. Even with lesser jalopies it's best to be prudent and stroke the loud pedal until the time is ripe.

As any fule kno.
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - Alastairw
Exhaust was pretty steamy, so perhaps not warmed up. All the same, would have been better to turn off while parked imo.
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - MD
Dodgy starter!
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - Manatee
A friend is driving a 2008 XK8 at the moment. It declined to restart one day last week while he was out. RAC called, new (big) battery nearly £140!
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - VxFan
>> All the same, would have been better to turn off while parked imo.

What concern is it of yours? Are you a member of the Green party or somefing? ;)
>> better to turn off while parked imo.

>> What concern is it of yours? Are you a member of the Green party or somefing? ;)

Heh heh... but I think he meant for the Jaguar's good VxF. It's bad practice to warm a car up from cold by idling it - washes the cylinder bores and warms it up very slowly. Really you should drive the car fairly gently which warms it up more quickly. But once you've started it, if you have to stop for some reason it makes sense to leave it running and continue the warming process. So he's wrong about that.

Not that it makes any significant difference. It's costing plenty whatever you do with it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 01:44
The famous Aussie feminist Germaine Greer was a neighbour of ours in the Grove. She had a dark green XJ6 4.2 litre, with a coating of old filth on the exterior and the interior a total tip, with documents, parking tickets and CDs all over the seats and an overflowing ashtray. I don't remember any dents. A clean example so to speak, in cardealerese... Reminded me of any number of my own jalopies.

Good sheila, that Germaine. I don't think I've ever met her but can't remember for sure. It's possible, but in a crowded party most likely. Can't claim to know her.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 01:58
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - No FM2R
>> I noticed Rio by Duran Duran being played loud enough from a parked Jag XJR t

That's right; I would have bought an XJR, played DD loud while reclining in the seat, and the thought uppermost in my mind would have been "oh no, someone might think this is not sensible".

'Course, alternatively I could have thought it was there to be enjoyed in any way I wished.

In any case, sometimes my wife goes into Shop X and her driver slouches across to the passenger seat cos there's more room there. And funnily enough quite often plays 80s music very loud as well.
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - Mike Hannon
Interesting, isn't it? The topic of petrol consumption and Jaguars seems often to come up among non-owners but very rarely among those actually afflicted by the bug. We tend to smile, keep calm and carry on...
 Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJR - I know petrol is cheaper now, but... - WillDeBeest
See 'got-it-all pensioners', passim.
}:---)
Latest Forum Posts