Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report.
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 12

Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - Zero
Its just sailed through the MOT (with one advisory - more of which later) so time for that reliability report.

Bought at 2 years and 9 months old, with 18k miles on the clock.

Now 8 years old with 125kmiles on the clock.

During that time it has had 1 set of parts not classed as consumables, and failed an MOT. Broken anti roll bar drop links at 102k miles/7years. Cost 129 quid supplied and fitted.

And that is the only unscheduled non service work required on it in all that time. It has never broken down and never failed to start.

Just replaced a Windscreen, chipped in Holland June last year and the crack moved across the screen progressively during the year. Cost 75 quid insurance excess.

I have serviced it 8 times, at 40 quid a time (oil, air filter, pollen filter, oil filter) 320 quid total.
Gearbox oil changed once, Brake fluid changed twice.

I have changed front disks twice, front pads three times, rear pads once - total cost 220 quid. If the car has a weakness its the brakes, the pads and sliders need to come out once a year and be cleaned/lubed and put back. Failure to do so will have the pads stuck inside 18 months, and the disks ruined because only half of it gets swept and corroded/scored beyond repair.

Its had 6 tyres at 60 pounds a corner, and has just had an advisory on the rears, they wear slowly so will need changing before the next MOT.

Cambelt changed at 65k miles - the only time its been back to a Mitis dealer - £208 quid. The water pump is not on the cam belt run so does not require changing as a precaution. New belt needed soon.

So total maint and repair running cost running costs for 107k miles is £1300 - thats 220 quid a year.

Current state of car?

The suspension is a bit saggy and clunky. Bushes going a bit I guess, but passes the MOT with no murmur. The rear exhaust box has surface rust / penetrated but not blowing in one place. (spray oil around the slight hole every month seems to keep that at bay). There is an ever so slight irregular weep from the top hose / thermostat joint that needs looking at. It will need new alternator & new power steering belts when the cam belt is done (they are starting to show signs of cracking / wear) -

Everything mechanical and electrical still working as well as the day it was made, the zircon thou is getting a bit lazy and deserves a regas.

Given all that, I am happy to report that this is a reliable, but boring lump of Japans best.

Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - Boxsterboy
Given their reputation I would expect nothing less. The most amazing thing is that it is now over 6 years that you have been 'Zero'. How time flies!
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - WillDeBeest
Don't think it's quite that long, is it? We came over here in 2010, which is when I think Z assumed his present identity.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - Manatee
Outlander has gone for a dealer service today at ridiculous cost of course. I have a 100,000 mile 3 cylinder Colt fir the day, truly horrible but probably no worse than it was when new!
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - bathtub tom
Cor! Those spark plugs have lasted well. ;>)
>> Cor! Those spark plugs have lasted well. ;>)

opps! changed at 60k - 16 quid.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - MJM
Was there not some sort of associated cost with clearing up a gearbox oil incident, or is that a household expense?

:)
>> Was there not some sort of associated cost with clearing up a gearbox oil incident,
>> or is that a household expense?
>>
>> :)

Wasn't running expenses, unless you count me running scared and headless for an hour.
>> >> Cor! Those spark plugs have lasted well. ;>)
>>
>> opps! changed at 60k - 16 quid.

Which reminds me, best do them again at the next service.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - BiggerBadderDave
"with one advisory"

The tight nut behind the wheel?
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - Auntie Lockbrakes
What warranty came with the vehicle when you purchased it, Z? Clearly not needed anyway.

Bodes well for my impending ownership of a new Outlander - I hope!
>> What warranty came with the vehicle when you purchased it, Z? Clearly not needed anyway.

It came with the 3mths balance of the three year 60k miles warranty.

Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsi Lancer 125k Reliability Report. - Bill Payer
Even when you've paid out money your costs have been remarkably low - £40 for the service items - I'm going to have to get back to doing this stuff myself!

£208 for a cambelt change at the dealer is good too.

Mitsubishi is the only one of our cars where I've felt to need to switch dealerships for servicing - the ones around me all know how to charge, although a new one did the last service for £92 which even I couldn't complain about. It has to be done by a garage as it's daughter's car and she uses it as part of her job (NHS) - going to the dealer renews the assistance plan so it's more than worth the difference.

I think all cars should have their brakes stripped and cleaned though - if you ask a garage to do it they say it's not worth it and they want to do a disk and pad change.
Latest Forum Posts