Motoring Discussion > Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 17   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 84

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 17 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 18 *****

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 16 is HERE:-

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 01:22

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Dave_
Any thoughts?

I liked the Chile flag lapel badges.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - RattleandSmoke
I didn't notice that, although my TV is only 28" although I was watching it via a 1080 source.

I thought it was ok, St Petersburg looked like a very nice city and was surprised to see all the Audis etc on the roads there. Hardly a Lada in sight.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - WillDeBeest
Hardly a Lada in sight.

There are still loads of Ladas on Russia's roads; they just don't all look like Rivas any more.

I know, that but I didn't even see any of the other Ladas, although some are just rebranded Dacias.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - VxFan
>> Any thoughts?

Good episode (for a change). Apart from the ever so dull SIARPC section. Plenty of other chat shows around without TG adding to it.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Boxsterboy
>> I liked the Chile flag lapel badges.
>>

I wondered what flags those were.

Was Hammond's bike really under 1kg? Surely that was just the frame weight he was quoting? Most carbon framed road bikes come in at 7kg or so.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Zero
>> Was Hammond's bike really under 1kg? Surely that was just the frame weight he was
>> quoting? Most carbon framed road bikes come in at 7kg or so.

most carbon framed bikes don't cost more than a car.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Fursty Ferret
Reminded me why I loathe trams.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - TheManWithNoName
>> Was Hammond's bike really under 1kg? Surely that was just the frame weight he was
>> quoting? Most carbon framed road bikes come in at 7kg or so.
>>

www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/the-worlds-lightest-bike-36902/

I reckon Hammond quoted the frame weight only but am happy to be corrected..

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Focusless
>> >> Was Hammond's bike really under 1kg? Surely that was just the frame weight he
>> was
>> >> quoting?
>>
>> www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/the-worlds-lightest-bike-36902/
>>
>> I reckon Hammond quoted the frame weight only but am happy to be corrected..

From your link: "The backbone of this exceptional build is a custom 642.5g frame" :o

EDIT: (and "this complete road bike tips the scales at a truly staggering weight of 2.7kg")
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 14:35

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - IJWS14
The problems of ultra light weight were shown when he fell off.

Something like this is a little more practical and a little cheaper

www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-900-carbon-road-bike-id_8311457.html#avantages

Another £1400 will take an further kilo off the weight.

Hammond's bike is probably too light for road racing - IIRC the UCI set a minimum weight.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Zero
>> >> I liked the Chile flag lapel badges.
>> >>
>>
>> I wondered what flags those were.

I guessed, but I had to consult my ladybird flags of the world book. It was a poke at Argentina.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Oldgit
Christ, what a yawn fest TG has become? All originality lost forever. Even the three stooges look embarrassed at their script.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - WillDeBeest
But it brought you out of the woodwork, OG. How've you been?

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Oldgit
>> But it brought you out of the woodwork, OG. How've you been?
>>

Fine, thanks for asking! Still it takes TG and its declining ability to be be original, to wake me up again and view the same old same old, unless the remaining episodes are going to astound us with something more original - did you see the Patagonian special? That nonsense could have been condensed into a 90 minutes programme or less.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - commerdriver
Suspect some folk on here, me included, are growing out of TG's key demographic. I now rarely find it more than lightly amusing while my younger lad (aged 27 ) is hugely chuffed with his ticket to see an episode being recorded early February
Last edited by: commerdriver on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 14:48

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Alastairw
Save you all some time ;)

sniffpetrol.com/2015/01/23/forum-gets-top-gear-discussion-thread-done/#.VMaNb1KzW1s

Fwiw I enjoyed it - some proper belly laughs.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 18:56

>> my younger lad (aged 27 )
>> is hugely chuffed with his ticket to see an episode being recorded early February
>>

He will love it - it is a great day out.

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - No FM2R
>>>> I liked the Chile flag lapel badges.

They really need to let the entire Argentinian thing go. Talk about flogging a dead and unamusing horse.

And as for the Chilean flag badges, that would have about as much interest and impact in Chile or Argentina as if the US Top Gear wore French flags to annoy the Moroccans.

I think you either get the sense of humour or you don't I personally get it, the problem is the TG style of humour is rapidly becoming out of date.

Personally I say leave it as it is, but ditch the "Pratt in a reasonable priced car" and all the stupid supercar crap. I have more interest in a Dacia Sandero than a Ferrari, simply because the Dacia is a car I may well end up owning one day! It is a peoples car.

On the subject of SIARPC, didn't it seem as if Ed Sheeran was none too enamoured of Clarkson?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 22:52

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - legacylad
I was in the pub. Again. Personally I find more interest in watching 4 dogs jostle for position in front of the log fire. But each to their own. Unless they have a serious discussion on the reliability, or lack of, of VW Group DSG gearboxes I won't be watching in the foreseeable future.

>>I was in the pub. Again.

I'd have been more impressed if you'd said "I was in the pub. Still."

Seriously though, the reason they originally won out over similar programs was because they didn't do the techie auto stuff or the normal cars - because mostly people aren't interested.

Cheer up you miserable lot :D I know the programme is stupid and daft, but it is great TV to take your mind of the stuff that really matters.

And if I want to know about cars well that is what sites like this and magazines are for :).

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 26 Jan 15 at 23:21
 Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Focusless
>> On the subject of SIARPC, didn't it seem as if Ed Sheeran was none too
>> enamoured of Clarkson?

Only saw bits of the programme, and not that bit. But I've seen Ed being interviewed on other programmes and he can come across as a bit indifferent. Perhaps he is, or just shy - just saying it might not have been Clarkson in particular.

I like this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlYcUqEPN58

Top Gear new series - 25 Jan 2014 - Old Navy
I was nominated to take my grandson to the Top Gear live show at the Hydro in Glasgow. The planned shows were a sellout as was the extra show put on. They must be doing something right, I enjoyed the show although I rarely watch TG on TV. One thing I did notice was the average age of the punters was low, with many "dads and kids" and boy and girl racer age group.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 27 Jan 15 at 08:47

Top Gear 8th Feb - VxFan

It was one of those "Last of the Summer Wine" episodes last night. You know the one - they're set a series of challenges with 3 different vehicles of *their* chosing.

Anyway, I thought on the whole it was hilarious. Especially Hammonds patient delivery system at the end when he launched his patient through the pretend hospital window instead of the door.

Even Daniel Ricciardo was watachable, instead of the usual SIARPC dullards out to promote their latest movie or book. And he beat Hamitons lap time as well.
 Top Gear 8th Feb - TheManWithNoName
Agree, A bit of light hearted fun by three goons with a loose motoring theme.

Top Gear 8th Feb - RattleandSmoke
I thought it was brilliant, once you treat as a scripted show about three 'idiots'.

Top Gear 15th Feb - Stuartli
Only seen the first half of the show tonight so far (pints of Guinness elsewhere were calling), but had a good laugh at The Stig punching the stand-up photographic image of Daniel Ricciardo .
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Feb 15 at 00:57

Top Gear 15th Feb - VxFan
The Land Rover tribute was a complete flop.

Top Gear 15th Feb - DP
Best SIARPC in years. I normally end up fast forwarding it, but thought Will Smith and Margot Robbie were genuinely funny.

New M3 leaves me cold. i8 is technically amazing, but if ever anything illustrated the irrelevance of "official" combined mpg figures....
 Top Gear 15th Feb - BobbyG
Is that because you saw her in The Wolf of Wall Street???

Top Gear 15th Feb - mikeyb
>> Is that because you saw her in The Wolf of Wall Street???
>>

Mmmmmmmmm

Top Gear 22 Feb - bathtub tom
What was going on with the Corvette's headlights back in the studio?

First they were on, then off, then back on again and finally off when the lap times were posted.

Continuity?

Top Gear 22 Feb - Focusless
Saw most of it, and actually quite enjoyed it. I do like watching them 'test' fast cars like the Corvette, Cayman and Ferrari, and even found myself laughing at some of their antics in the Peugeots. Olly Murs is a good bloke too.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20BTdy9FGI

Top Gear 22 Feb - Zero
most of it was ok, but the Pug thing was painfully unfunny.
 Top Gear 22 Feb - Crankcase
Didn't get on with that episode at all. Was reduced to toodling about with the ipad on the sofa whilst they blathered on, hoping for something interesting. There wasn't much for me. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood.

Top Gear 22 Feb - RattleandSmoke
The PSA Baguette thing just felt like a cheap episode filler sadly. I didn't quite get the point of it, at least the ambulance thing was quite funny.

Top Gear 22 Feb - DP
>> most of it was ok, but the Pug thing was painfully unfunny.
>
But factually quite accurate. Dependable to exciting to dreadful is a pretty accurate summary of the evolution of Peugeot's offering over the past 40 years.

Top Gear 22 Feb - movilogo
Where was the place where May tested the Ferrari?

Top Gear 22 Feb - Alastairw
Italy. And Ferrari's own test track at Fiorano.

I can understand it was Italy :-) But where exactly?

Top Gear 22 Feb - VxFan
>> I can understand it was Italy :-) But where exactly?

It is located in Fiorano Modenese, near the Italian town of Maranello.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorano_Circuit
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 12:53

Top Gear 22 Feb - Zero
>> I can understand it was Italy :-) But where exactly?
>>

Well to know, exactly, we would need to know, exactly, what second of the film you are referring to.

Ah, I thought it was a public road!

Top Gear so far. - R.P.
Had them all recorded got round to whizzing through the chaff. Excellent feature on the Landie. Excellent test on the M3 and the i8 - that was really special especially that drive across the North Yorks Moors which I undertook in summer of 2009 on my sabbatical in Harrogate....on a VFR800i

Top Gear 1st March - VxFan
Here's what they didn't show on Sunday. Stig wrestling the Hennessey VelociRaptor around the Dunsfold track.

youtu.be/emyHb_5k3_A

That supercharger gives it a lovely engine note.

Top Gear 1st March - legacylad
That makes the Dodge Ram Big Horn V8 Hemi I rented for three weeks look, and sound, totally insignificant. Which it was, compared to that.

Top Gear 1st March - RattleandSmoke
I wonder how scripted that Canada thing was? Did Hammond and I assume the crew really stay out there that long? I suspect the entire thing was just a made up scripted story but you can never tell with Top Gear.

Top Gear 1st March - Old Navy
I am sure there are camper trucks, mobile catering, crew equipment transport, and a whole host of backup involved in all these reality shows. I am sure the crews unions will make sure they are well looked after. There is loads of space behind the cameras to conceal the backup resources in.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Mar 15 at 13:14

Top Gear 1st March - CGNorwich
I hate to break it to you Rattle but Top Gear is made up and is no more real than Coronation Street.
 Top Gear 1st March - Slidingpillar
Actually I suspect Coronation Street is nearer reality than Top Gear.

Top Gear 1st March - Focusless
It would be interesting to work out how many cameras they'd need if all the shots of James/JC driving past in their vehicles were done 'live' so to speak.

The Argentina episode shows just how many crew members are involved.

I know it is all scripted/made up but I wonder how much of it is? Out of all the specials the one I always think was the most genuine was the North Pole episode.

Top Gear 1st March - Old Navy
Ratts it is a TV entertainment show, it is all fiction.

Top Gear 1st March - Armel Coussine
As an adult who actually likes cars, I always get the feeling that TG isn't just not for me, it's genuinely insulting in a trivial sort of way.

For babies and halfwits only. I can't take more than about five minutes of it.

I'm very envious that the three hobbledehoys are given such interesting cars to play with, and even to trash if they feel like it. I like a bit of frivolity myself but schoolboy destructiveness left me years ago.

Top Gear 1st March - Duncan
>>
>> I know it is all scripted/made up but I wonder how much of it is?
>> Out of all the specials the one I always think was the most genuine was
>> the North Pole episode.
>>

North Pole?

Wasn't it The Magnetic North?

Not the same thing at all, at all, Seamus!

Top Gear 1st March - Netsur
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special

Not made up. Very special trip that one was.

Top Gear 1st March - Alastairw
Long time no see, E3. How's life?

Top Gear 1st March - Zero
>> I wonder how scripted that Canada thing was? Did Hammond and I assume the crew
>> really stay out there that long? I suspect the entire thing was just a made
>> up scripted story but you can never tell with Top Gear.

The real heroes of that show are the camera crew, Clarkson is always following in their tyre tracks.

Winter tyres surely?

Unless they are in a LEC, which means they would be unnecessary

Top Gear 1st March - DP
I watched Sunday's episode on iPlayer Monday evening, and fell asleep, missing the last 10 minutes, and therefore the ending of the Hammond rescue thing.

It's now Thursday and I haven't felt the need to replay it.

This season was doing well until this point, I thought.

Top Gear 1st March - No FM2R
The other day I watched the last 4 episodes finishing with the Hammond rescue one.

The first two or three I mostly throughly enjoyed and thought perhaps the show had turned a corner insofar as my tastes are concerned.

Then came the Hammond Rescue one which was tedious and predictable. (The Peugeot bit was also boring and silly to me, I can;t remember which episode that was).

I think they just need something new, the silly and stupid thing is the Hammond thing would have actually made great TV if it was a race of who could get there the quickest. Them rushing through London, trying to find flights, perhaps having a panic drive up to Manchester (if all the flights from London had all been booked up) or a train journey etc.... That would have made great TV and would have been different.

I am starting to think maybe a new producer is required to bring something a bit different to it.

Top Gear 1st March - R.P.
I found Fifth Gear on the History channel. Far better for car content. Love Vicky...!

Top Gear 1st March - rtj70
New series of Fifth Gear on Channel 5 I think. Not that I've watched it.

It came up as a recommended on the History Channel's player. Seemed like a recent one.

Top Gear 1st March - VxFan
>> New series of Fifth Gear on Channel 5 I think. Not that I've watched it.

I thought it moved from Ch5 to The Discovery Channel quite some time ago.

I assumed it was Channel 5. But I don't watch it. I just know I saw an advert and didn't think about the channel. After all it was called Fifth Gear because of Channel 5.

"Fifth Gear is a British motoring television magazine series. Originally shown on Channel 5 from 2002 to 2011, Discovery from 2012 to 2014 and History since 2015, the show is currently presented by Tiff Needell, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jason Plato and Jonny Smith"

Top Gear 1st March - Zero
>> "Fifth Gear is a British motoring television magazine series. Originally shown on Channel 5 from
>> 2002 to 2011, Discovery from 2012 to 2014 and History since 2015, the show is
>> currently presented by Tiff Needell, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jason Plato and Jonny Smith"

So in effect we have a programme that has such a poor audience retention and advertising rates it couldn't even keep its slot on the least watched mainstream channel?

Top Gear 1st March - BiggerBadderDave
The channel that dumped the delicious Suzi Perry - the only reason we used to watch the Gadget Show. Idiots.

Add her to my list by the way.

:-)

>> The channel that dumped the delicious Suzi Perry

I thought she probably left to host the F1 programme on the BBC.
 Top Gear 1st March - BiggerBadderDave
"I thought she probably left to host the F1 programme on the BBC."

Nope. She was dumped. I remember the kerfuffle at the time.

"Wolverhampton-born TV star Suzi Perry today admitted she is still recovering after being axed"

etc etc etc

tinyurl.com/op5q8s2

>> "Fifth Gear is a British motoring television magazine series. Originally shown on Channel 5 from
>> 2002 to 2011, Discovery from 2012 to 2014 and History since 2015, the show is
>> currently presented by Tiff Needell, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jason Plato and Jonny Smith"
>>

I started watching "The Classic Car Show" the other evening with Tiff Needell and some woman, I turned it off after about 5 minutes.

Why can't I stand Tiff Needell?

Top Gear 1st March - bathtub tom
>>I started watching "The Classic Car Show" the other evening with Tiff Needell

Sure you don't mean Quentin Wilson?

>> >>I started watching "The Classic Car Show" the other evening with Tiff Needell
>>
>> Sure you don't mean Quentin Wilson?

Just testing.

I was waiting to see who would be the first to spot that!

Hurriedly scuttles off.

Top Gear 1st March - mikeyb
>> >>I started watching "The Classic Car Show" the other evening with Tiff Needell
>>
>> Sure you don't mean Quentin Wilson?
>>

Cant stand him. Cant put my finger on it, but he's just so slimy

Top Gear 1st March - Crankcase
>> I watched Sunday's episode on iPlayer Monday evening, and fell asleep, missing the last 10
>> minutes, and therefore the ending of the Hammond rescue thing.
>>
>> It's now Thursday and I haven't felt the need to replay it.

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. He's still up there.

Spoiling the scenery...

Latest Forum Posts