Motoring Discussion > DRL's Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 208

DRL's - MD
Would it be possible to shoot people who choose Christmas tree lights.

OOPS, sorry, I meant DRL's. I would aim in particular for Citroen owners (too bright) the lights that is! followed by Mercedes drivers (too bright and too low). Certain Honda's and I could go on.

Can you be nicked for using these things? Cos you can be for using Fog lights in the wrong circs!

And finally (Thank God I hear you all grumbling). What possesses the DRL masses to assume that in dawn and dusk conditions...+ Fog, Rain etc. that their Pretty (sic) lights are OK when there are no rear lights visible. Pratts one and all.
 DRL's - R.P.
Not optional on most makes. I have them on the Volvo but they rarely appear as the headlamps are in "always on" anyway. I agree that some of them look pretty crass and are irritating...almost as irritating as multiple apostrophe errors.
 DRL's - Old Navy
>> Would it be possible to shoot people who choose Christmas tree lights.
>>
>> OOPS, sorry, I meant DRL's.

It is no longer a choice, they are mandatory on cars submitted for type approval for use in the EU after February 2011 and trucks and buses after August 2012.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> they are mandatory on cars submitted for type approval for use in the EU after February 2011

Which is odd. We've got two 13 reg Berlingo vans at work and only one of them has working DRLs. Both leased at the same time and only have one letter difference in the registration plates.

I've also seen other cars with 11 and newer registration plates. Some have working DRLs, some don't. Presumably there is a switch or setting somewhere to disable them? Hopefully there is anyway as when I eventually get around to replacing my aging Vectra with something newer, the first thing will be to try and turn the stupid things off as I am not a lover of DRLs either - especially the ones fitted into the front fog lights, or mimic front fog lights.
 DRL's - Old Navy
It does not matter when they were built, it is when they are submitted for approval which counts. My car was built in 2014 but does not have DRLs because its approval date was before 2011.

To confuse things the manufacturers can fit DRLs to any car, some trim versions of my car have them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 29 Jan 15 at 21:53
 DRL's - Zero
for sure some of them are over bright, even possibly dangerously attention diverting.
 DRL's - Old Navy
While I approve of DRLs I agree that some are too bright. I would have thought there would be standard brilliance specification for them as there is for other car lights.
 DRL's - Bromptonaut
>> Which is odd. We've got two 13 reg Berlingo vans at work and only one
>> of them has working DRLs. Both leased at the same time and only have one
>> letter difference in the registration plates.
>>

In our 63 Berlingo Multispace the DRLs can be selected on or off via the central menu display. Happy with them on but they're bright enough to fool you into forgetting headlights driving off a car park.
 DRL's - Old Navy
I have adjusted the sensitivity of the auto headlights on my car from the 25% factory setting to 50% in the cars menu. It means my lights come on with little provocation which suits me.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> In our 63 Berlingo Multispace the DRLs can be selected on or off via the
>> central menu display.

The handbook pretty much says the same thing, but there's nothing much more than a few radio/cd settings and the fuel computer in the menu display.
 DRL's - Duncan
>> In our 63 Berlingo Multispace the DRLs can be selected on or off via the
>> central menu display.

Same with my LEC.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> as when I eventually get around to replacing my aging Vectra with something newer....

That decision might come sooner rather than later thanks to a muntjac who decided to not bother using the Green Cross Code and walked straight out in front of my Vectra at 02:30 Saturday morning on the A34 while I was about to overtake a lorry.

The little swine came out from the central reservation barriers and both it and my car didn't stand a chance of avoiding one another. Hit it with the offside front bumper at 70 mph. Bumper trashed, as are the air-con and engine radiator. Fog light and power steering also got obliterated. Most frightening part though was the headlights went out and for a couple of seconds (felt like minutes) and I only had the lorry taillights to follow. I coasted to a layby approx. 100 yrds up the road (thank god it was there) and called my insurer who arranged recovery. That took nearly 3 hours before someone came out to me.

So there I was at the side of the A34, freezing my wotsits off with no engine to keep me warm thanks to a busted radiator and lorries thundering past inches from my window. Then it started snowing hard. In some respects that was good because all the passing traffic slowed down. Yes, I know I should have got out and stood on the bank, but at silly o'clock in the morning, on a dark road with trees and bushes all around, no thanks. I also flattened the battery with the hazard lights being on so long.

I eventually got home at 06:30. Got to wait now until Monday for Tesco insurance to phone me as their loss department only work Mon to Fri. And I only found out today I've got one of those silly polices where I'll only get a courtesy car if mine is repairable. If it's a write off, then tough. Thanks Tesco! Not.

Perhaps I should have put all of this into a separate thread instead of rambling on here about it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Feb 15 at 02:02
 DRL's - Skip
Sorry to hear about your accident Dave. Must have been scary but at least you are OK. I would start looking for another car as I am sure that yours will be a write off. A lesson learnt to read the small print on the insurance policy and that the cheapest isn't always the best !
 DRL's - swiss tony
>> Perhaps I should have put all of this into a separate thread instead of rambling on here about it.
>>

Probably so..
.. you may well get a rollicking from a mod for massive thread drift... .

;-)
 DRL's - CGNorwich
Pretty normal I think. It's the authorised repairer who provides the car. Nothing to repair = no car.
 Daves tale - Zero
Daves tale of woe is quite topical. How many of us have the correct resources (warm clothes, torch, water - etc ) to survive (with some degree of comfort anyway) the night in a cold crippled car?
 Daves tale - Runfer D'Hills
Glad you're ok Dave. Could have ended very differently. Yes I do always have some extra kit in the car especially in winter, warm coat, scarf,gloves, bottle of water, and or a flask of coffee , a torch and an old pair of walking boots.

The Espace taught me to be prepared for unplanned waiting or walking.

You could get a Mondeo this time Dave, Start enjoying driving again sort of thing...

;-))
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 1 Feb 15 at 10:25
 Daves tale - Zero

>> You could get a Mondeo this time Dave, Start enjoying driving again sort of thing...
>>
>> ;-))

Not lucky those Vauxhalls, are they.
 Daves tale - Runfer D'Hills
The ones I've had have never failed to disappoint. With the exception of my Mk 1 Cavalier which was actually quite good to drive if a bit too yellow.
 Daves tale - sooty123
>> Daves tale of woe is quite topical. How many of us have the correct resources
>> (warm clothes, torch, water - etc ) to survive (with some degree of comfort anyway)
>> the night in a cold crippled car?
>>

Not me, but then I don't travel far very often, so I could easily walk home.
 Daves tale - Manatee
>> Daves tale of woe is quite topical. How many of us have the correct resources
>> (warm clothes, torch, water - etc ) to survive (with some degree of comfort anyway)
>> the night in a cold crippled car?

A worthwhile reminder.
 DRL's - sooty123
Doesn't seem unreasonable though, since the ins company pays for it anyway, to give people a hire car when they haven't one due to an accident.
 DRL's - CGNorwich
No its not its not unreasonable but supplying a courtesy car is one of the conditions that Insurers impose on their recommended repairers in exchange for a stream of business.

Some Insurers, like Aviva, will let you have a courtesy cars for a limited period in the event of a total loss but they tend to be in the minority and at the more expensive end of the market.
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
When my wife wrote off her car she wasn't offered a hire car. Can't remember why now but we never pushed it as we had a spare car at the time anyway.
 DRL's - sooty123
>> No its not its not unreasonable but supplying a courtesy car is one of the
>> conditions that Insurers impose on their recommended repairers in exchange for a stream of business.
>>

I would imagine they'd end up pay anyway. Both times I had a hire it came from a hire car company which was billed straight to the ins company, that's what it said on the bill anyway.

>>
>> Some Insurers, like Aviva, will let you have a courtesy cars for a limited period
>> in the event of a total loss but they tend to be in the minority
>> and at the more expensive end of the market.
>>

Not sure how rare it is tbh, I wonder if dave is covered under another policy?
 DRL's - sooty123

And I only
>> found out today I've got one of those silly polices where I'll only get a
>> courtesy car if mine is repairable. If it's a write off, then tough. Thanks Tesco!
>> Not.
>>

You might not, similar happened to me with a 10 year old car, new rad, grill, bumper, bumper bar, air con pipes and fog lights. They paid for it to be repaired, I think it was about 900 quid about half what the car was worth max. So I wouldn't worry too much.
 DRL's - Zero
>>
>>
>> And I only
>> >> found out today I've got one of those silly polices where I'll only get
>> a
>> >> courtesy car if mine is repairable. If it's a write off, then tough. Thanks
>> Tesco!
>> >> Not.

What do you expect? as soon as the car is written off your insurance is null and void, no longer in force. Its dead jim, you can't insure a stiff.
 DRL's - sooty123
>> What do you expect? as soon as the car is written off your insurance is
>> null and void, no longer in force. Its dead jim, you can't insure a stiff.
>>
>>

In the time from accident --> write off, he could have one. Policy isn't void in that period.
 DRL's - No FM2R
>>In the time from accident --> write off, he could have one

You need to read your specific policy, but you may very well find that in the period before the car is declared a write off, then you can indeed get a car from wherever your car has been recovered to. More likely than not.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> I would start looking for another car as I am sure that yours will be a write off

The bloke who recovered me works for North Oxford BMW in the body shop. He said he's seen far worse repaired through the insurance. Looking at it myself today in daylight, nothing structural is bent, twisted or otherwise damaged apart from loads of hairs from the animal and a bit of blood here and there. My guess is a new AC rad, engine rad, bumper, grille, 2 x foglights, and a new PAS reservoir. I guess it all comes down to whether it's a financial write off or not.

>> No FM2R said - You need to read your specific policy, but you may very well find that in the period before
>> the car is declared a write off, then you can indeed get a car from wherever your car has been recovered to.

>> Zero (and others) said along the lines of - What do you expect? as soon as the car is written off your insurance is null and void, no longer in force. Its dead jim, you can't insure a stiff.

Car was recovered to my house as Tesco told me that if it was taken to a storage compound I might have to make my own way home from there if it wasn't on the recovery drivers route afterwards. Tesco will arrange collection of it tomorrow.

My previous Tesco policy had a 14 day courtesy car regardless of repair or write off. In fact it was longer than 14 days if the repair overran that. The car got carted off to their approved repairer (or one of your choice if you preferred) and Enterprise Rental then sorted out a hire car. In short you weren't left immobile while trying to sort out a replacement car. Now it seems the courtesy car will come from the authorised repairer.

You live and learn. At renewal I shall be checking what courtesy car arrangements are in place.

I'll know more tomorrow. If the policy is anything to go by, until they declare it a write off I should get a courtesy car. I can't see how they can write it off without looking at it first and just go by what was said over the phone.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Feb 15 at 19:04
 DRL's - VxFan
Finally got around to uploading an image of the damage. Poor light doesn't help to seethe damage in the crevices of the remains of the bumper, nor taking it from an iPhone4. Excuse the sloppy number plate removal.

i62.tinypic.com/2z5kq37.jpg

DRL's - Armel Coussine
Tchah, just a gaffer tape job.

With luck you can tune it to make a harmonious whistle at varying speed-dependent pitches.

Er, :o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 1 Feb 15 at 19:39
 DRL's - BobbyG
Would be surprised if that was a write off - in fact if you were third party insurance I am sure you would just be buying the parts needed from Ebay and get it going again.
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
I'd be surprised if it's a write off too. Still might be a bit on the deer side though.
 DRL's - Zero
>> I'd be surprised if it's a write off too. Still might be a bit on
>> the deer side though.

Is the horn working? You could probably claim your antler luggage was damaged.
 DRL's - No FM2R
I doubt you'll have trouble Dave, but you do have my email address if you need help or advice - feel free to use it.

Mark.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Would be surprised if that was a write off - in fact if you were third party insurance I am sure you would just be buying the parts needed from Ebay and get it going again.

I'm not holding my breath. My last Vectra shouldn't have been declared a financial write off. In fact someone bought it from my insurer, repaired it, and it's still on the road. I looked up the number plate just the other day.
I know from word of mouth how some of these body shops operate. A good car comes in that a "mate of a mate" mentions he's looking for. Body shop elaborate on the repair price to deliberately get it written off. They then get a back hander from the "mate of a mate" who then buys it from the insurer for a song, repairs it with 2nd hand parts and puts it back on the road and sells it for a profit.

I'd have a go at repairing it myself if it was warmer weather, but as I've now registered the accident with my insurer I might as well let them get on with whatever they've got to do.

Actually it might be a blessing in disguise if they do write it off. At some point in the near future the cam chain and balancer chain need replacing as the chain tensioner occasionally sticks when you first start the engine and you have rev it a few times to get it unstuck and stop the chains from rattling. (common problem on the 2.2 direct engine). Not a cheap job to replace the chains either. I'll probably get more for it from my insurer than I would trading it in.

>> I doubt you'll have trouble Dave, but you do have my email address if you need help or advice.

Thanks Mark.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 2 Feb 15 at 01:33
 DRL's - Zero

>> A good
>> car comes in that a "mate of a mate" mentions he's looking for.

Don't worry Dave, not a factor in this case.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Don't worry Dave, not a factor in this case.

I'm sure there is meant to be a smiley somewhere in that statement. However you are right in this instance as the engineer is seeing the car before the body shop is. There is always the possibility that he might be bent though.

I'll know more tomorrow when he visits. It was looking to be a lot longer than that when I spoke to Tesco this morning. It can take up to 3 working days for him to visit, and up to a further 10 working days for him to submit his report to them! Meanwhile I'm without a car. Yes I could go and buy another one now, but then end up with two cars and spend ages trying to sell one of them. Been there and done that before.

Come renewal time I shall be looking for a policy where a hire/courtesy car is provided straight away, regardless who's at fault and if the vehicle is a write off - if such a policy exists anymore?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> I'll know more tomorrow when he visits.

Well he's been and gone. His initial thoughts are that it's 50/50 whether it'll be written off or not. His report will be submitted to Tesco by lunchtime tomorrow and they should phone me later that afternoon to let me know the outcome.

Just caught the bus to work. 12 min walk to the nearest bus stop from where I live, and another 8 minute walk from the bus stop to work.

I can't recall the last time I used a bus. It's got to be more than 10, if not 15 years ago. Still just as uncomfortable though. Lift home tonight via a colleague.
 DRL's - smokie
I missed this one.

I too hit a deer on the A34 in a Vectra in the middle of the night at a slightly higher speed than you (I reckon it was about 80 - 85) but there was no other traffic around. Lights stayed on. I didn't have a mobile phone. Power steering had gone so I just drove it home and called insurance the next day. Mine looked worse than yours, and some bit of the power steering that lives behind the bumper had completely disappeared!!

Mine wasn't written off but the power steering replacement bit they fitted failed with a couple of years which was costly.

I did search the HJ forum as I'm sure I posted about it there but I can't find it. However that reminded me that it was eventually a spilt jar of creosote which eventually did for it. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=70782
 DRL's - rtj70
>> However that reminded me that it was eventually a spilt jar of creosote which eventually did for it

Who could forget that tale.
 DRL's - Zero
>> >> However that reminded me that it was eventually a spilt jar of creosote which
>> eventually did for it
>>
>> Who could forget that tale.

That was a cracker. I was reminded of that tale when at the auctions once, and a vectra estate came through that had a full tin of white paint come lose in the boot.
 DRL's - CGNorwich

>>
>> That was a cracker. I was reminded of that tale when at the auctions once,
>> and a vectra estate came through that had a full tin of white paint come
>> lose in the boot.
>>

Done that myself. Put a 5 litre plastic container of emulsion pInt on the front seat of my company car some years back. Had to brake a bit hard on the way home and the front seat well was full of white emulsion.
 DRL's - jc2
One of our company cars had no carpet in the boot and was undersealed-you guessed,I checked, and the driver had bought a can of underseal,cornered hard but at least had the sense to spread it evenly after the event.
 DRL's - Duncan
>> and a vectra estate came through that had a full tin of white paint come lose in the boot.
>>

Had the lid got loost?
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
...and a Vectra estate came through that [had] had a full tin of white paint come lose [sic] in the boot.

How much did the paint add to its value?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> I too hit a deer on the A34 in a Vectra in the middle of the night

I can remember you mentioning it. In fact it was one of the many things that came into my head whilst sat at the side of the road waiting to be recovered.

>> . Lights stayed on.

I think mine went off from the surge of power that the electric motor of the PAS pump consumed when the deer head butted it. They started working again shortly afterwards. It must have upset the HID ballasts or something.

>> However that reminded me that it was eventually a spilt jar of creosote which eventually did for it.

I can also remember that one too.
 DRL's - Duncan
>> Well he's been and gone. His initial thoughts are that it's 50/50 whether it'll be
>> written off or not.

If it does get written off, what are you thinking of buying?

(sits back and prepares to emit a gasp of incredulity!)
 DRL's - swiss tony
>> If it does get written off, what are you thinking of buying?
>> (sits back and prepares to emit a gasp of incredulity!)
>>

Could do worse than buying a mondeo.

As it happens I know of a cheap mondeo for sale....
 DRL's - Zero
>> >> If it does get written off, what are you thinking of buying?
>> >> (sits back and prepares to emit a gasp of incredulity!)
>> >>
>>
>> Could do worse than buying a mondeo.
>>
>> As it happens I know of a cheap mondeo for sale....

I bet there will be an insignia on the way.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> I bet there will be an insignia on the way.

Possibly, or even an Astra. Not sure yet. It might even be a cheap jalopy for now until the better weather arrives. This accident has just progressed things on a bit quicker than I had planned.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> >> I bet there will be an insignia on the way.
>>
>> Possibly, or even an Astra. Not sure yet.

Insignia has been ruled out. It's approx a 12" longer than my Vectra and 3 or 4" wider. Like most cars that replace a previous model, it gets bigger. It really is a porker. So much so that I would have to fold the mirrors in just to get it through the garage doors (not really a problem as the one I was looking at had power fold mirrors). But it's the extra length that's the real problem. Yes, I could clear out some of the junk from the front of the garage but then I have the problem of being able to open the drivers door as the workbench or the loft ladder would be in the way. Not to mention the narrow car parking spaces at work it would have to squeeze into.

So, it's the Astra. Test drove it Saturday. Lovely car (contrary to some verdicts on here). Plenty of grunt from the 2.0 ltr diesel engine and a lovely smooth autobox. Feels really planted to the road too. 16 months old and only 8,000 miles on the clock.

Spent well over 2 hours at the dealers. Managed to haggle 12 months RFL and a set of mats as part of the deal. Finally left at 17:45 and given a lift back home. They officially close at 17:00 Saturdays, but were happy to stay late to complete all the paperwork to save going back on Sunday.

Things I'm gonna miss.
The built in sat nav. Only the Tech Line model has it in as standard. Hardly anyone specifies it on the optional extra list when they buy new. Not the end of the world. I'll just get a Tom Tom, Garman or something similar.
A big old boot. But then Mon - Fri I will just be using it to commute to work. It was just handy when you had to carry something large.
Sunglasses holder in the roof pocket. Will have to find somewhere else for them.
Xenon headlights. Can always fit an aftermarket kit if necessary. Standard lights though are a lot better than my Vectra was before I fitted a HID kit to that.

Plus points.
Cheaper RFL.
Better MPG.
Squeak and rattle free.
A nice looker - well I think so anyway.

Ultimately though I think I'm going to be very happy with it. I hope I don't live to regret saying that and it's a pile of poo.

So, it's a middle finger up to all those who tried to turn me against Vauxhall, and all those who said I should look further afield, different marque, etc etc ;)

Oh, and to turn this back to DRL discussion, it's got them and one of the first things I'll be looking into is trying to turn the damn things off. And if that's not possible I'll change the bulbs for ultra bright LEDs to fight the some of the Renaults and Fords with ;) At least they're in the proper place though, i.e. the headlights, and not pretending to be fog lights.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 01:40
 DRL's - Old Navy
>>
>> Oh, and to turn this back to DRL discussion, it's got them and one of
>> the first things I'll be looking into is trying to turn the damn things off.

Why ? You will be the first to complain if some half blind idiot pulls out of a junction inside your braking distance and wrecks your shiny new car and says "SMIDSY".

Or is the Vauxhall already so rusty that you can see them from the inside of the car. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 08:49
 DRL's - Slidingpillar
There is a good reason why few specify factory sat nav. It's usually a very expensive option, map upgrades are expensive, and for roughly £100, you can buy an accessory sat nav with a lifetime subscription to map upgrades.
 DRL's - BobbyG
And I would imagine there are very few people who would buy an Astra brand new and spec it up and wait for it to be built.
Most, like Dave, will buy one of the many used low mileage examples that are readily available presumably many of these come from hire companies.
Avis gave me an Astra last year, a god awful car and I really couldnt imagine why anyone would have bought it over a Focus, Leon or Golf. Obviously it was a base model asit didnt have bluetooth or reversing sensors. Even if base model, I would still expect these to be standard nowadays on a 15k or whatever car.
 DRL's - Zero
>> There is a good reason why few specify factory sat nav. It's usually a very
>> expensive option, map upgrades are expensive, and for roughly £100, you can buy an accessory
>> sat nav with a lifetime subscription to map upgrades.

And its usually in the wrong place, and its a pain to add additional POIs (like speed cameras). Map updates are not only expensive (the cost of a complete aftermarket sat nav some of them) but non existent and if they are, usually way behind the curve on changes.

They only advantages are, they don't get nicked, you don't have to turn them on, and they integrate to the audio system. (but you can do that with an aftermarket one)

Only Renault managed to fit decent sat nav as an option, and that is a TomTom anyway.
 DRL's - henry k
>>Map updates are not only expensive (the cost of a complete aftermarket sat nav some of them)
>> but non existent and if they are, usually way behind the curve on changes.
>>
A UK disk for my ancient inbuilt system is about £200. I now have the latest ( last ever version) 2012.
The alternative sources of disks for about £30/40 are an interesting marketing ploy.
They are supplying a back up copy on the assumption that you already have a genuine original disk. I suspect few read down that far in the T & Cs
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
Sigh. Where to begin?

Astra...lovely car
I'm sure it's adequate and safe but 'lovely' relative to what? An old Vectra with a deer-shaped hole and the Berlingo at work? Or did you actually try anything else apart from the ancient Toyota?

12 months VFL and a set of mats...
Things that came with my last used car without my having to ask. I negotiated a £3200 cash discount; you don't mention price but presumably your friendly dealer knew they had you over a barrel.

Xenon lights...aftermarket kit
Illegal, according to this from the DfT:

In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps.

Middle finger...
An ugly gesture that says more about the waver than the target. Not compatible with a smiley in my view.

DRLs
They work fine in the bumpers. They show the car is on and moving or likely to be, and being shaped they give other drivers a chance to judge range, which headlights in daylight don't.

I hope I don't live to regret...
Let's not go that far.

I'm sure you and the Astra will get on fine, VF, but let's not pretend you've been through any kind of selection process, beyond checking that the car fits in your garage. You're experiencing a modern car after a 15-year-old design that wasn't near the top of its class when it was new. But it fits within what you feel are the constraints you have to abide by, so good luck.

What I still don't get is that you don't just contribute to but help to run a site whose stated purpose is the discussion of cars, their selection and use. You offer us information about yourself and your choices, but when the discussion turns to whether these are sound or you could do better, you respond like a petulant teenager, with scowlies and middle fingers. I'm sure in person you're as charming and personable as anyone else here, but this makes you come across as pig-headed and small-minded. And that's a pity.
 DRL's - henry k
>>Xenon lights...aftermarket kit
>>Illegal, according to this from the DfT:

>>In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use
>> after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon.
>> If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new >>
>> Xenon HID headlamps.

From what I understand.
" new Xenon HID headlamps" My non Xenon X type has projector type lenses as standard for the dip beams. These standard lights are terrible and therefore are a very popular upgrade to Xenons. Normal, no projector type lights are not suitable to just fit Xenons.
I also have headlamp washers so that is another tick.

Xenons must have self leveling, which is the very complex bit but no mention about in from the Dft ?
There have been questions, on Jaguar forums re pukka retrofits.
Cost and complexity rules it out. Not just new headlamp units but lots of other kit needed in various locations.

Of the many Jaguar folks who have fitted Xenons (approx cost NINE pounds upwards and that includes bulbs/everything ) to date none have failed an MoT.
Provided the aim of the lights is good then no problem.

I do not know the situation with normal lights being converted but there seems to be swarms of low rent racers with them fitted.
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
I kept the quote brief, Henry. (Something VF and I agree on.) the document continues:

In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to
ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self- levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

So at best your X-type modifiers are getting a blind eye from a sympathetic inspector; a roadside police officer might not take the same view. It does seem perverse to complain about other road users' lights spoiling your view, only to make inappropriate and illegal modifications to your own. (Although not yours personally, I appreciate.)
 DRL's - henry k
WDB Thanks for the additional info.

I must find the time to upgrade my lights. I used some rural roads recently and that reminded me how awful my dip beams are. Much as I am tempted to fit Xenons, it is not a roadside check that concerns me but in the event of a RTC I do not want to give the insurance company a get out " not informed of a modification ! "
I will fit legal but brighter bulbs. The X Type has poor access for the job. Some folks say remove the under tray and bumper to ease access. Others say bribe kids with small hands to do the job.

I noted that HJ yesterday quoting taking the bumper off a MKII Mondeo to change bulbs.
A total load of tosh. I can get access in minutes with the light units in my hands.
IIRC 2 screws to take of fan shield, 2 screws and squeeze two clips for the grill and finally two screws + one eased per headlamp unit. Specials tools - a wide bladed screwdriver.

>>Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
Makes sense.

I have read that some cars in addition to bi Xenons have conventional "spot lights".
These are activated by the headlight flash stalk. ( Xenons are too slow reacting / firing up / lifting up.)
 DRL's - rtj70
>> Much as I am tempted to fit Xenons, it is not a roadside check that concerns me but in the
>> event of a RTC I do not want to give the insurance company a get out " not informed of a
>> modification ! "

No doubt Dave told his insurance he installed non-factory fit HID lights to his car. Not much use though because he didn't see the animal he hit before it was too late. I'd hate to think they fail to pay out when they take the car away and find his lights were 'illegal'.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> No doubt Dave told his insurance he installed non-factory fit HID lights to his car.

Yep, sure did. Noted on the policy and no extra premium as it doesn't affect the performance of the engine or the handling of the car, which is all they're interested in.

>> Not much use though because he didn't see the animal he hit before it was too late.

;)

>> I'd hate to think they fail to pay out when they take the car away and find his lights were 'illegal'.

They've been removed, along with everything else that I've fitted since owning the car. Why should I let someone else benefit from my loss more than they're already going to.
 DRL's - henry k
>>Xenon lights...aftermarket kit
>>Illegal, according to this from the DfT:

>>In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use
>> after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon.
>> If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new >>
>> Xenon HID headlamps.

From what I understand.
" new Xenon HID headlamps" My non Xenon X type has projector type lenses as standard for the dip beams. These standard lights are terrible and therefore are a very popular upgrade to Xenons. Normal, no projector type lights are not suitable to just fit Xenons.
I also have headlamp washers so that is another tick.

Xenons must have self leveling, which is the very complex bit but no mention about in from the Dft ?
There have been questions, on Jaguar forums re pukka retrofits.
Cost and complexity rules it out. Not just new headlamp units but lots of other kit needed in various locations.

Of the many Jaguar folks who have fitted Xenons (approx cost NINE pounds upwards and that includes bulbs/everything ) to date none have failed an MoT.
Provided the aim of the lights is good then no problem.

I do not know the situation with normal lights being converted but there seems to be swarms of low rent racers with them fitted.
 DRL's - Old Navy
>> >>Xenon lights...aftermarket kit
>> >>Illegal, according to this from the DfT:

Why not just slow down a bit ? Boy racer light kits indicate a boy racer attitude to driving. There are plenty of legal upgrade headlight bulbs if you need to see a bit better on rural roads. What happened to driving within the distance you can see ?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Why not just slow down a bit ? Boy racer light kits indicate a boy racer attitude to driving.

Can't vouch for the Jag, but the facelift Vectra headlights are very poor. As projector lenses are fitted (just like the jag - and approved to have HIDs) by fitting an aftermarket HID kit with a sensible kelvin output (i.e. not too blue) then the lights look like they're factory fit and have no boy racer appearance to them at all.

>> There are plenty of legal upgrade headlight bulbs if you need to see a bit better on rural roads.

Been there, done that. It didn't make much difference, if any at all. All that happened was that I was changing bulbs more frequently as high performance halogen bulbs are worked harder to get the extra light output. A set of Osram nightbreakers cost me over £30 for 4 bulbs. 8 months later they started blowing and needed replacing. A decent HID kit cost me £60. 4 years later the HID xenon bulbs are still working. You do the maths. £60 over 4 years, or £30 every 8 months.

>> What happened to driving within the distance you can see ?

Fine, if you want to drive everywhere at 10mph when it's dark.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 9 Feb 15 at 10:33
 DRL's - Old Navy
>> >> What happened to driving within the distance you can see ?
>>
>> Fine, if you want to drive everywhere at 10mph when it's dark.
>>

Does that mean you don't drive to the conditions in fog, spray, surface water, drive around blind bends too fast, etc. ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 9 Feb 15 at 10:43
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Does that mean you don't drive to the conditions in fog, spray, surface water, etc. either?

Of course I do. But when it's clear visibility and it's a known issue that a particular car has poor lights and people have posted a suitable fix on the internet - what are you going to do?

Continue driving around with candles, or improve the lighting which also improves the safety of the vehicle.
 DRL's - Old Navy
I missed the edit, I was going to put a smiley on my last post. I thought you were beginning to take me seriously.

DRL's - Crankcase
As a matter of interest, just diving into someone else's discussion, do we know why manufacturers put such feeble lights in the stock vehicle that a third party market for uprated bulbs becomes necessary? Is it just cost saving or some legal issue? You'd think a marketing point might be "the FlimFlam 2000 has the most powerful lights in its sector" or some such.

Or it is just to make you spec HIDs at high profit in the first place? Hmm, maybe I just answered my own question.
 DRL's - rtj70
Some cars (mainly Japanese) only let you get the HID lights if you go for the top-end model. For my Mazda6 I'd have been happy with the TS2 but wanted the HID lights so got the (slightly) more expensive Sport.

After having adaptive lights (following steering) on the Passat CC I upgraded the Xenon Plug lights on the A3 to be adaptive. I don't think the Passat did much more than turn the lights and had static cornering lights too. The A3 does more and varies the beam pattern. Had I paid for one of the options with a front facing camera (e.g. adaptive lane control) then you could also spec an even better version of adaptive light that would infinitely vary between full and main beam without dazzling anyone.
 DRL's - Zero
>> As a matter of interest, just diving into someone else's discussion, do we know why
>> manufacturers put such feeble lights in the stock vehicle

Yes. We do. Car designers (the ones who work with crayons CAD and Clay) hate lights, they spoil the lines and restrict their flair. So they turn them into works of art at the expense of function. They were given even more heart when the engineers said "dint worry we can fit very bright lights to overcome your excess"

Then the bean counters decided that eats into the profit margins too much, unless the punter pays for it.

DRL's - henry k
>> ... do we know why manufacturers put such feeble lights in the stock vehicle
>> that a third party market for uprated bulbs becomes necessary?
>>
The kits are generic hence the kids also fitting them.
>>Is it just cost saving or some legal issue?
Cost saving , All the extra stuff for self leveling is pricey but it is also also bad design.

>> You'd think a marketing point might be "the FlimFlam 2000 has the most powerful lights in its
>> sector" or some such.
Ford are doing this sort of advertising now with LED lights
Some info www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/25/ford_mondeo_gains_led_headlights/

>> Or it is just to make you spec HIDs at high profit in the first place.
Well it went very badly wrong with the X Type. From my research it appears that the vast majority of X types were sold as company cars and the Xenons were probably far too expensive hence they are very very rarely found on X types. I guess its about BIK / taxes etc.

>> Hmm, maybe I just answered my own question.
>> I think in general you did except for a screw up by Jaguar re the X Type.
 DRL's - henry k
>> >> There are plenty of legal upgrade headlight bulbs if you need to see a
>> bit better on rural roads.
>>
>> Been there, done that. It didn't make much difference, if any at all.
>> All that happened was that I was changing bulbs more frequently as high performance >>halogen bulbs are worked harder to get the extra light output. , or £30 every 8 months.
>>
Certainly not my experience with my Mondeo.
much better lights and only one dip failed over many years.
>>
>> >> What happened to driving within the distance you can see ?
>>
>> Fine, if you want to drive everywhere at 10mph when it's dark.
>>
On an unlit rural/ country road with a queue of unhappy reps sitting up your boot !!!
Not funny!
 DRL's - VxFan
>> HIDs - Illegal, according to this from the DfT:

But yet there is a huge loophole in that if washers and auto beam adust AREN'T fitted then as they cannot be tested, an MOT tester cannot fail the vehicle. It's only if those systems are fitted they HAVE to work. I explained all of this earlier in this thread.

Providing beam pattern is correct, the alignment is correct, and the colour is not excessively blue then the car will pass an MOT with aftermarket HIDs fitted. It will also not draw attention to plod and the like. Believe me, I have done plenty of research prior to fitting them to my Vectra. It's the boy racers in their Corsa's, Saxo's and the like that fit the wrong HID kit and change back to ordinary halogen bulbs for the MOT that go around blinding everyone. I take far more responsibility than that.

>> DRLs They work fine in the bumpers.

No, on some cars it looks like the front fog lights are on.

>> They show the car is on and moving or likely to be.

With cars driving around with lights on they have also made motorbikes invisible. If you're not a biker or ex-biker then you won't really know where I'm coming from.

>> this makes you come across as pig-headed and small-minded

I find people who dictate to me what car or brand I shouldn't buy equally pig headed, just because they don't like that particular brand or model themselves. It's my choice, I've given reasons for that choice, yet though their own prejudices think they can tell me otherwise. And yes, I AM HAPPY with my decision that I've made, and the pig headed and small minded part of me is telling you to get over it.

snipped at author's request

Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 9 Feb 15 at 17:20
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
I suggest you remove that last bit. Now.
 DRL's - Zero
>> I suggest you remove that last bit. Now.
>
Are you a Ginger Minger then WDB?

or worse

IN THE ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT? OMG HES A GINGER BEAN COUNTER!
 DRL's - Armel Coussine
>> Are you a Ginger Minger then WDB?

Yes, what's wrong with ginger? (still don't know what a minger is but never mind).

I had a red-haired girlfriend when I was about 17. I called her Ginger and she didn't seem to mind. But I must have been a great disappointment to her being ex-Catholic and a bit messed up. .
 DRL's - Bromptonaut
>> I suggest you remove that last bit. Now.

I have to say that if somebody told me, in terms employed here, to look at Dahon, Tern, Mezzo and B'twin before replacing a damaged Brompton I'd probably react as Vx has here.

VX's reasoning is actually pretty much that followed by loads of car buyers. Mrs B's and my route to replacing the Xantia with another Berlingo was similar.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 19:33
 DRL's - VxFan
Sorry, but I've got this pig headed reputation to uphold that I've recently been labelled with.
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
If you can't tell the difference between fair and moderate comment on a person's behaviour and incitement to discrimination based on genetic or racial origin then pigheaded doesn't begin to cover it. You're a f. (sorry, Aunt Maud) idiot. Moderate that!
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 19:49
 DRL's - Armel Coussine
>> incitement to discrimination based on genetic or racial origin

Oh come on WdB. Ginger is mere badinage surely? Genetic indeed! Honestly...
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
Erm, Top Gear is on shortly chaps, if anyone is interested...

;-)
 DRL's - VxFan
>> You're a f. (sorry, Aunt Maud) idiot. Moderate that!

Resorting to more personal insults, as well as hating Vauxhalls I see. Thank heaven not all Volvo and Mercedes drivers are like you.

You obviously mistook my examples as being racist. Far from it dear boy.

DRL's - Skip
> Things I'm gonna miss.
>> The built in sat nav. Only the Tech Line model has it in as standard.
>> Hardly anyone specifies it on the optional extra list when they buy new. Not the
>> end of the world. I'll just get a Tom Tom, Garman or something similar.
>>
>> Ultimately though I think I'm going to be very happy with it. I hope I
>> don't live to regret saying that and it's a pile of poo.
>>
>> Oh, and to turn this back to DRL discussion, it's got them and one of
>> the first things I'll be looking into is trying to turn the damn things off.
>> And if that's not possible I'll change the bulbs for ultra bright LEDs to fight
>> the some of the Renaults and Fords with ;) At least they're in the proper
>> place though, i.e. the headlights, and not pretending to be fog lights.
>>

How often do you actually use the sat nav ? I suppose if you are going somewhere you don't know everyday it might be an issue, but for most of us it isn't really a necessity. I have it on the 308 but only because it came as standard, i wouldn't have paid extra for it.

Is there any insurance issue in turning off the DRL's ?

Sounds like a nice car anyway Dave. When are you picking it up ?
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 10:06
 DRL's - Slidingpillar
Several folk on forums saying you can't turn DRLs off but then I find this:

i can turn off the drl's on my astra. it is an se with the auto headlights ( which are useless by the way) if you turn the lights knob to the left to disable the auto light function the drl will go off. i asked my garage if that should happen and they said yes.

So give it a go! Auto lights level folk out to crap drivers, that is, bring decent ones down anyway.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 10:46
 DRL's - Auntie Lockbrakes
Who really uses satnav on a regular basis? The only real benefactors that I can see would be sales reps visiting lots of different addresses in faraway towns on their travels.

SWMBO's new Outlander has factory-fit satnav. We'll never use it. Not enough roads here in NZ! If your preferred route is closed, best just go home or sit it out in the nearest cafe. Possible detours are usually hours long!
 DRL's - PeterS
I use the sat nav in mine quite often, not so much for directions but for its knowledge of traffic conditions. Not sure quite where it gets its data from, but based on something it will re route if there are problems ahead. Then you just have to decide whether you believe it or not ;-) It also shows heavy traffic in either yellow or red on the route ahead
 DRL's - Old Navy
I only use my satnav on long journeys (100+ miles). It does speed cameras, traffic and other disruptive problems, gives alternative routes, arrival time, distance to go, POIs, and would play music and and do the phone Bluetooth if I let it. Oh, it also finds places you don't know the exact location of. Generally a useful gadget when you are off your patch.
 DRL's - Armel Coussine
I know they have their uses but I don't want one cluttering up the view of what matters, and I don't want more kit to fiddle with.

We brought two cousins back here from London today. They had satnav on an iPad which even showed where we were on the road, sort of. Somehow I still don't want one. If I were a commercial traveller or market researcher I might think it was worth the hassle. But I'm not so I don't.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> How often do you actually use the sat nav ?

When I'm not using it for somewhere that I've previously been to, I use it mainly for traffic information, or to find a detour when there's a hold up.

>> Sounds like a nice car anyway Dave. When are you picking it up ?

It's got to go through a Network-Q check, etc first. Hopefully it'll be Monday or Tuesday evening.
 DRL's - Zero

>> It's got to go through a Network-Q check, etc first. Hopefully it'll be Monday or
>> Tuesday evening.

how long does it take to tick boxes on a sheet of paper?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> how long does it take to tick boxes on a sheet of paper?

If you read it correctly, I also said etc. I've not the only one that's been buying a car from them over the weekend, and not only will other cars be waiting inspection besides mine, the workshops are busy with servicing and repairs.

As much as I'd like them to drop everything and concentrate solely on me because I'm pig headed, I just have to wait in turn.
 DRL's - Zero

>> If you read it correctly, I also said etc. I've not the only one that's
>> been buying a car from them over the weekend, and not only will other cars
>> be waiting inspection besides mine, the workshops are busy with servicing and repairs.

You seem to be mistaken in some way. Inspection? Ok how long does it take to tick three sheets of paper for three customers?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> You seem to be mistaken in some way. Inspection? Ok how long does it
>> take to tick three sheets of paper for three customers?

Another Vauxhall hater. Why am I not surprised.
 DRL's - Zero
>> >> You seem to be mistaken in some way. Inspection? Ok how long does it
>> >> take to tick three sheets of paper for three customers?
>>
>> Another Vauxhall hater. Why am I not surprised.

There you go, jumping to conclusions, must be some kind of Vauxhall inferiority complex.

It was a comment against dealers. Of any variety. Any xxx point inspection in any any dealership is merely a box ticking exercise, if anything is checked its done, at best, by the bloke that wipes the dew and bird poo off the cars in the forecourt.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> There you go, jumping to conclusions,

That makes 2 of us then ;)

Anyway, picking it up tonight.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> As it happens I know of a cheap mondeo for sale....

If it's the one in classifieds on here, then it's already been sold.
 DRL's - Pat
I can thoroughly recommend WP for a cheap run about until you want to get sorted permanently!

Pat
 DRL's - Duncan
>> I can thoroughly recommend WP for a cheap run about until you want to get
>> sorted permanently!
>>
>> Pat

Westpig? Nah!
 DRL's - Old Navy
>> I can thoroughly recommend WP for a cheap run about until you want to get
>> sorted permanently!
>>
>> Pat
>>

Don't forget to check for holes where the police kit was fitted. :)
 DRL's - swiss tony
>> >> As it happens I know of a cheap mondeo for sale....
>> If it's the one in classifieds on here, then it's already been sold.

Nope.. it's not from the classifieds..
 DRL's - VxFan
Well the car has been declared a Cat C write off.

Market value is £2380 - which I think is too low.

If I keep the car then I can have it for something like 13% of the market value. Bloke worked out that I would get £1971 cash settlement.

The engineer estimated the repair at £2500. Obviously he's using parts that are gold plated by the looks of it.

Don't know what to do now (apart from obviously start looking for another car).

I know the leather seats alone if I sold them are worth at least £300. The built in Sat-Nav is also going for that sort of price on ebay. If I had the time then I could break it and sell the parts and make a good return from them. I just don't have the time though.

Gonna sleep on it overnight I think.
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
Better sleep in it, going to be cold tonight.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Better sleep in it, going to be cold tonight.

No thanks. Had enough of that on the A34 the other night while waiting for a recovery truck without doing it again.
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
When I first started my business there were times when I was so skint I had to sleep in the car if I was travelling away from home for work. Wasn't so bad with a sleeping bag in the back of an estate car. Some winter nights were a bit depressing I'll certainly grant. Couldn't afford the fuel to keep the engine running either. It helped having a sunroof I could open on tilt just a fraction to keep a little bit of air coming in. Used to find a public swimming pool / leisure centre to clean up in in the mornings and pretend to my customers that I'd been in a hotel if they asked !

Things did improve in the end of course but that first year or so was a bit tight in places.

Some might say character building, I prefer to think of it as cold mainly.

;-)
 DRL's - Armel Coussine
If you're going to sleep in a car in cold weather, a very expensive car is best. Once the thing is thoroughly warm, it takes much longer to cool down. Partly a matter of sheer bulk and scale.

I dunno what these new Rollses and Bentleys are like, but mine had a lot of layers of sound insulation which worked well as heat insulation.

Hence the tramp I once found sleeping in the back seat. Intelligent fellow. Perhaps he'd done it before.

:o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 4 Feb 15 at 19:25
 DRL's - rtj70
How much will they pay out if you keep the car? Presumably about £1662? The car costing £309?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> How much will they pay out if you keep the car? Presumably about £1662? The
>> car costing £309?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

They claim that the market value of the car is £2380. This is what they've offered me, minus my £100 excess.

If I want to keep the car then I can have it for something like 13% of the settlement price. Bloke worked it out to be approx £1971 instead.

DRL's - No FM2R
If you saw the car in this condition on a forecourt for £200, would you buy it and break/repair it?

I wouldn't and neither, I suspect, would you. Brcause other than the fact that you know its history, that's pretty much what you're talking about.

Look for similar cars from trade suppliers in the Trader and if it looks reasonable print out the adverts and send them in a letter asking for a better offer.

The assessor is not paid to be generous and whilst they are usually reasonable there is often a bit of wiggle room.

DRL's - Gromit
And when you're looking at prices for similar cars, don't forget to factor in the cost of the upcoming work due on yours that you mentioned earlier.

If you take back your Vectra you'll have to pay for this in addition to repairing the damage, whereas the repalcement you'd get from the settlement may well have it done already if it has an up to date service history.
 DRL's - VxFan
Well I've almost decided what I am going to do.

Priority is another car. I've seen a 16 month old Astra Elite but it doesn't tick all the boxes in terms of creature comforts that I have become accustomed to. Not going to dimiss it before i give it a test drive though. I was considering an Insignia but it's more porky both in terms of width and length than my Vectra is and I don't think it'll fit in my garage.

Next plan is to wait for the local Vauxhall dealer to find me the car that I want in the correct spec and with the features I want. In the meantime I've been offered a Toyota Avensis for £700 (price is up for negotiation) and I use that as a cheap runaround until I find the car that I want.

I don't think I'll take back the Vectra and repairing it myself. As it's an automatic the oil cooler for the gearbox is either built into the engine radiator (which is damaged) or it's closely related to it. Earlier cars had problems where the radiator could fail and contaminate the gearbox with coolant and basically trash the gearbox. There might be untold damage done to my gearbox when I drove it ½ mile up the road to the layby and running the engine afterwards to try and get warm again. Within 5 mins of running the engine the low coolant light came on so I stopped the engine. It's been started and run for a couple of minutes at home since the accident to move the car from where the recovery guy dropped it off to somewhere less in the way. In short I estimate I could repair the car myself for approx £500, to then find the gearbox is wrecked and I'm back to square one. Besides that, the camchain and tensioners will need replacing in the not too distant future. Time to cut my losses and let someone else benefit from either doing it up or scrapping it and selling the parts on.

A mechanic friend also asked me last night "would you buy a Cat C Vectra that's been repaired when the market is full of ones with no insurance marker against them?". He does have a very good point.

Right, off to browse the Trader and the like for price comparison to fight my insurer with.
 DRL's - rtj70
You make some good points in the post above that says take the money and buy something new. Especially about the gearbox and the future work it needs. The Toyota Avensis sounds like you can at least get mobile whilst looking. Having a car when looking at cars always makes things easier.

The Insignia is a big car. Low spec models I've driven were not nice. A 160PS SRi was okay. I prefer the Insignia to the Mondeo. But I prefer VAG cars to Vauxhall.
 DRL's - Zero

>> Next plan is to wait for the local Vauxhall dealer to find me the car
>> that I want in the correct spec and with the features I want.

Take off those GM blinkers, now is the time to look around outside the VX dealer. You can always come back to them if nothing fits the bill.
 DRL's - rtj70
If you've had a Vectra for a while with most of the options fitted like leather, auto, etc. then might you find the Astra a bit small and basic?

I'd not limit yourself to Vauxhall.
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
[Don't] limit yourself to Vauxhall.

I must not suggest more appropriate verbs.

DRL's - VxFan
>> Take off those GM blinkers, now is the time to look around outside the VX dealer.

Nothing doing locally. Vauxhall dealer is just down the road and convenient. Plus I've been dealing with them since 1986. My late father even earlier.

The VAG garage have just moved further away. Crummy Ford dealership and Nissan are the next closest to the Vx garage. Don't like Ford anyway. Quite liked the Nissan Qashqai that an ex girlfriend used to have though. Nothing in stock that I particularly want from them at the moment though. BMW & Merc dealers - closest is in Oxford. Same with Peugeot.

>> you find the Astra a bit small and basic?

The Astra I'm looking at is an Elite 2.0 ltr diesel auto. More BHP than my Vectra has and the MPG will be far better too. Only thing missing from spec from what I can see is the sat nav. Rare as rocking horse poo as it's an optional extra few go for. Test driving it Saturday before I decide to accept or dismiss it. Can always buy a Tom Tom or Garman anyway.
The main reason for having my Vectra was for the big old boot to fit my late fathers mobility scooter into. I've been contemplating down sizing for a while and now is just a good a time as any to do it.

>> I'd not limit yourself to Vauxhall.

See above comment. Not much doing in this neck of the woods in terms of dealers and I'm not really in a position to travel very far at the moment without help from friends or my sister.

>> [Don't] limit yourself to Vauxhall.
>>
>> I must not suggest more appropriate verbs.

Ah, I see the regular Vauxhall hater has come out the closet again. He's still to answer my question I posed to him ages ago (IIRC) as to what shed he drives so we can poke fun and ridicule him about it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 21:54
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
If you've been paying any attention at all, VF, you'll know I have a 12-year-old Volvo and a 6-year-old Mercedes estate. Products of multinational corporations to which I owe no loyalty at all, just like yours.

The difference is that I don't define myself in terms of either of them. So you can say what you like - or think - about my cars and I won't take it personally because I can tell the difference between them and me. And aren't our cars - and other people's - what we're here to discuss?

Anyway, go on, have a go. I've given you all the ammunition you ought to need.

And finally, as I've also mentioned here, I did buy a Vauxhall once. It had its good points but it was an expensive mistake, one that nothing I've seen recently has encouraged me to consider repeating. I don't hate Vauxhalls - my experience is just that they're not very good. The cars, not their owners. There is a difference.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> If you've been paying any attention at all, VF, you'll know I have a 12-year-old
>> Volvo and a 6-year-old Mercedes estate.

I didn't know, hence why asking the question previously on several occasions and also in this thread.

>> The difference is that I don't define myself in terms of either of them.

The point I am trying to make is that at any given opportunity you make some sarcastic remark about Vauxhall. I've not noticed you do it with any other Manufacturer, just Vauxhall. To be perfectly frank, it gets dull and tedious after a while. I don't particularly like Fords, but I don't keep harping on about them all the time, making snide and negative comments about them.

>> And finally, as I've also mentioned here, I did buy a Vauxhall once. It had its good points but it was an expensive mistake.
>> I don't hate Vauxhalls - my experience is just that they're not very good.

So you're basing your prejudice on one Vauxhall? If they're not very good, then how come so many are on the road? How come numerous police forces and hire car companies use them? How come so many buying public have them?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Feb 15 at 01:10
 DRL's - PeterS
As someone who must have driven most of the mid range cars on the market today in the last 8 months, courtesy of Avis, perhaps I can add my thoughts? FWIW, the only Astra that I had (out of some 30 or so cars) was a perfectly acceptable car, even in lowly 1.6 SRi trim. Very refined (though it was petrol, which always helps), and adequate performance, if not fuel economy. But then what 1.6 petrol hire car does have good economy ;-)

No idea how it would be as an ownership proposition, but it was one of the better ones to drive. I can't be sure, but I think it'd done around 10k miles, so one of the higher mileage hire cars, but bar that hire car smell I'd have been hard pressed to tell is wasn't new. And unlike the Focus it didn't break down :p

Ordinarily I'd have said that the Golf was the best all rounder in the real world. Trouble is they are more expensive second hand, and you wouldn't get a current one for the price of a current shape Astra I don't think. IME the Mk 7 Golf is much better than the Mk5/6, but the Astra is much better than the earlier Golfs, if that makes sense?

Interestingly Vauxhall did not feature that heavily on Avis's fleet last year. And they do seem to be very good value for money! Just a thought though; larger mid range cars do seem to depreciate more than medium/small ones. Is a second hand Mondeo/Insignia really much more than a high spec Astra? I expect there's a better chance of well equipped ones as well...
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
So you're basing your prejudice on one Vauxhall?
Why do you call it prejudice? I drove plenty in the early 1990s and was impressed enough to buy an Astra in 1993. That didn't work out well - in terms of car or dealer experience - and the others I tried subsequently - Vectra, Zafira, Astra, Meriva - impressed me progressively less.
I've not rented recently, so my experience may be out of date, but my time is shorter than ever and I'm not going to waste it repeating an experience that's been unrewarding before.

If they're not very good, then how come so many are on the road?
Oh, come on! Four million copier repairmen, airport renters and PCP slaves can't be wrong? You don't choose a Vauxhall, you are issued with one because it's cheap for the organization that pays the bills; or you get one because you don't really care and the dealer (essentially a shop window for GM Consumer Finance) advertises a low-looking monthly payment.

Using sales figures as a proxy for quality is absurd. Does it work in any other field: food, clothing, music? No, people buy what's pushed at them, what's cheap or readily available; that's capitalism, and people who tie themselves to brands are its hapless, clueless victims. 'Fanboy' is not something to aspire to!

From what you've described, you didn't even really choose the Vectra. Your loyalty to the dealer that served your father well is laudable but misplaced; you don't owe them business for what they did years ago. Yes, convenience is something but a good modern car goes to the dealer once a year, so is it really top of the list? All I'm inviting you to do is consider what will really work for you and consider all the options, not just the familiar one.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> From what you've described, you didn't even really choose the Vectra.

Yes I did choose it actually. The last one I wrote off was replaced with a facelift Vectra - my choice. Prior to those 2 cars I had a Vectra-B. And various Cavalier's prior to that. All that I've been very happy to own and drive.

>> convenience is something but a good modern car goes to the dealer once a year, so is it really top of the list?

Yes. I can drop the car off the night before, or first thing in the morning and pick up a courtesy car. All of which is on the doorstep. If no courtesy car is available then they'll give me a lift to work and collect me later on. No having to drive to Oxford, fighting the traffic, roadworks and whatever other PITA scenarios I might encounter. Take tomorrow for instance, the local Vauxhall garage are coming to pick me up to test drive the Astra I *might* be interested in. And then all being well there is a strong possibility that they will lend me a courtesy car until all the paperwork, insurance, workshop check, etc is completed. I can't see a garage in Oxford who don't know me from Adam doing the same - can you? So convenience is a big thing for me.

>> All I'm inviting you to do is consider what will really work for you and consider all the options, not just the familiar one.

I have considered several options and the above one works for me just fine.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Feb 15 at 16:36
 DRL's - sooty123
So convenience is a big thing for me.

If other car dealers were nearer would you consider them? Do you only buy from MDs?

>> >> All I'm inviting you to do is consider what will really work for you
>> and consider all the options, not just the familiar one.
>>
>> I have considered several options and the above one works for me just fine.
>>

That's fair enough your money does seem somewhat limiting.
>>
 DRL's - VxFan
>> If other car dealers were nearer would you consider them?

Quite possibly.

>> Do you only buy from MDs?

Where I live, word of mouth gets around about some of the local garages - if you know what I mean.
 DRL's - sooty123

>>
>> Where I live, word of mouth gets around about some of the local garages -
>> if you know what I mean.

Not prepared to travel to have a look further afield? I take it you live in the sticks, often goes with the territory.

Do you get to drive many other cars beside your own?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> I take it you live in the sticks,

Correct.

>> Do you get to drive many other cars beside your own?

I used to a few years ago. I was quite often in hire cars going to this place or that. Now it's limited to either a Berlingo Van, or Toyota Estate. I can't even remember what sort of Toyota it is. Prior to that the pool cars/vans at work were Focus's and Transit Connects. The Berlingo is a right pile of uncomfortable poo. Enough to put me off the car version of it. The Toyota is just a working tool and nothing to write home about. Didn't like the Focus cars much either. The best of the bunch was the Transit Connects.

Back to when I drove a lot of hire cars. Among the best were the Vauxhall Carltons. The Sierras (with sunroofs) didn't have much headroom.
 DRL's - sooty123
>> >> I take it you live in the sticks,
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> >> Do you get to drive many other cars beside your own?
>>
>> I used to a few years ago.

as you live in the sticks you'll know you have to travel, and seeing as it's been a while since you drove many cars go for a test drive. You might well be surprised.
 DRL's - WillDeBeest
Yes I did choose it actually.
Or at least you took the most suitable thing for the people and kit you needed to carry that the only retailer you considered could offer. I've had a similar discussion with my F-in-L about his habit of buying new Fords 'because they'll give me a better price for the old one'. No wonder they're always pleased to see him.

And I hadn't - like most here, I suspect - appreciated your circumstances and how they make you value convenience, but it is - or should be - only once or twice a year. And you'd be surprised how many dealers offer a collect and return service, even to new customers. There isn't a single car dealer here, but the ones I talked to in Maidenhead, Slough and Reading (VW, Audi, Volvo and MB) all offered to do it, as did the Toyota one in Stratford that we used to use.

If I've read your clues right, you're in a town I knew extremely well before my car buying days (the Ford dealer you call crummy used to sell Austin Rover, and my mother had her Renaults serviced just opposite.) It's done well to hang on to what must be an expensive town centre location, and customer loyalty earned through service must play a part in that. (There's a family-run Ford dealer near here that's done the same.) But a fuzzy feeling even two days a year isn't much compensation for driving the wrong car for the other 363. Don't you owe it to yourself to at least look at what you might've won?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> as you live in the sticks you'll know you have to travel

Er, no car to do that with, and also limited public transport. And I can't keep relying on friends and relatives.

>> If I've read your clues right, you're in a town I knew extremely well before my car buying days

Not quite, but not too far away from there. Can't remember the Renault dealership though. The other garage near to the what was Rover Dealer used to be the Ford dealership but they lost the franchise apparently. The Volvo dealership up the road from them is on the verge of going to. It'll only be a matter of time before the original Ford dealer vanishes. He's had several offers from developers and supermarkets but so far has turned down the money. One day the right offer will land in his lap.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Look for similar cars from trade suppliers in the Trader and if it looks reasonable
>> print out the adverts and send them in a letter asking for a better offer.
>>
>> The assessor is not paid to be generous and whilst they are usually reasonable there
>> is often a bit of wiggle room.

No wiggle room unfortunately. Can't get blood from a stone, etc. Pushed them this afternoon until I was blue in the face.

I sent them a couple of examples of dearer cars with similar mileages from the Autotrader. I also sent them a couple of price guide evaluations from a couple of websites. They have denied knowledge of receiving my email,

The bloke who I spoke to today looked on Autotrader while I was on the phone to him and we went through the searches together. The only auto Vectra's Elites that were coming up were slightly newer and less miles. The examples I submitted had manual gearboxes and he made the excuse he couldn't use them as they were not a direct comparison. I pointed out that his searches of the lower mileage ones were also not a direct comparison either. He also rechecked the Glass's guide and CAP to see if prices had changed since the offer they gave me. These are the two guides that they go by and dismiss all other valuation guides. Like garages the Glass's and CAP are their bibles.

Bottom line is, he wasn't going to budge from the first offer so I've reluctantly accepted it.

To be fair I asked my local Vx dealer for an evaluation and they said what I had been quoted was a reasonable offer.

I test drove the Avensis this morning. Nice car for the age. An S reg 1.8 with 56,000 miles on the clock. 2 owners, the latter has had it within weeks of the first (since 1998), so I guess it was probably a demo car originally. Will soon need a cambelt - not on mileage but on age. Last changed in 2008.
I said I'd like to think it over and would get back to him this afternoon. Got a phone call within ½ hour saying someone else has bought it. Quite remarkable considering he's not yet advertised it! I personally smell a rat.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Feb 15 at 16:56
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
For what it's worth Dave, our nearest Merc dealer is 20 miles away and they are happy to collect and deliver my car for services or to provide a courtesy car at no visible charge, similarly, our nearest Nissan dealer will do the same albeit only 5 miles away.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> For what it's worth Dave, our nearest Merc dealer is 20 miles away and they
>> are happy to collect and deliver my car for services or to provide a courtesy
>> car at no visible charge, similarly, our nearest Nissan dealer will do the same albeit
>> only 5 miles away.

You trust garage oiks to drive your car other than for a quick test drive after a service? Still, I supposed it saves you from giving it an Italian tune up ;)
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
The "oik" who collects and delivers my Merc is actually very cleverly disguised as a rather pleasant and polite old gentleman who always arrives immaculately dressed in a business suit. I've got to know him a bit over the years and he is in fact a retired chartered accountant who does this for a bit of pin money. Perhaps he does drive it like he stole it, but I suspect he doesn't.
 DRL's - Dave_
>> The "oik" who collects and delivers my Merc

I worked as a Service Driver for a Merc dealer in the 90s, we were suited and booted and drove the things all day every day. No incentive to thrash about. If a driver abused a customer's car he wouldn't stay in the job very long!
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
Exactly
 DRL's - PeterS
Many years ago a VW dealer crashed my mums Golf when it was in for a service... ;-)

Certainly all teh dealers round us (for brands we've owned) will collect and deliver. Indeed Worthing Audi travel nearly 20 miles to collect our old 1994 Convertible for its service. To be fair we've been using them since 2007 when we had far newer Audis, but they don't seem to mind. Our local BMW dealer on the other hand, despite being just 10 miles away, was never really keen on collecting, though they always did in the end. Mercedes in Chichester are also less keen on collecting, though they are very happy to offer an FOC courtesy car, or breakfast and free wifi if you're happy to wait!
 DRL's - VxFan
>> The "oik" who collects and delivers my Merc is actually very cleverly disguised as a
>> rather pleasant and polite old gentleman

Ah the type that rides the clutch and is always dabbing the brakes when something comes the other direction ;)
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills
Indeed so, in fact he abused my brakes so badly that my car needed its first set of front brake pads at 96,000 miles. Scandalous really.

;-)
 DRL's - Zero
>>I personally smell a rat.

probably, you'd be surprised what disgusting stuff lurks in a 15 year old car. Nicole lost a packet of bacon in hers once, but never known a pet to be left behind in one.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 7 Feb 15 at 09:10
 DRL's - Skip
"That decision might come sooner rather than later thanks to a muntjac who decided to not bother using the Green Cross Code and walked straight out in front of my Vectra at 02:30 Saturday morning on the A34 while I was about to overtake a lorry."

And what was you doing out at that time of the day anyway ? !!!!
 DRL's - VxFan
>> And what was you doing out at that time of the day anyway ? !!!!

Sorry, I didn't know that I had to be in bed by midnight ;)
 DRL's - Pat
Tell them you were getting yer leg over Dave, that'll shut 'em up!

Pat
 DRL's - Zero
>> Tell them you were getting yer leg over Dave, that'll shut 'em up!
>>
>> Pat

I think that carries a charge of failing to be in control of a vehicle.
 DRL's - Pat
I think it takes skill.

Pat
 DRL's - Armel Coussine
>> I think it takes skill.

>> Pat

Do you just think it Pat, or do you know it for sure from personal experience?

Naturally I hesitate to ask, but I think we should be told.

:o}
 DRL's - Pat
I'm a bit like you AC, I've always believed life is for living, you only get one chance, after all:)

Pat
 DRL's - Old Navy

>> Sorry, I didn't know that I had to be in bed by midnight ;)
>>

Obviously your motor was transforming into a Muntjac propelled pumpkin. :)
 DRL's - Skip
>> Sorry, I didn't know that I had to be in bed by midnight ;)
>>

I presumed that you had been and was on your way home when the accident happened ;-)
 DRL's - Runfer D'Hills

>> And what was you doing out at that time of the day anyway ? !!!!

Stag night?
 DRL's - VxFan
>> And I only found out today I've got one of those silly polices where I'll only get a
>> courtesy car if mine is repairable. If it's a write off, then tough.

Phoned insurer yesterday to amend my policy for the replacement car.

"we now offer a hire car for 28 days in the event of an accident and your car cannot be fixed, even if the accident was your fault. Would you be interested in adding that to your policy?"

"Too damn right I'm interested" I tell him. "Go ahead and put it on the policy". Policy runs until June and it cost me an extra £11.56 to add it on. No admin fee for change of vehicle either.

I'm not planning on driving around intending to crash into anything in the future, but after the last time, never say never.
 DRL's - sooty123
>> >> Would it be possible to shoot people who choose Christmas tree lights.
>> >>
>> >> OOPS, sorry, I meant DRL's.
>>
>> It is no longer a choice, they are mandatory on cars submitted for type approval
>> for use in the EU after February 2011 and trucks and buses after August 2012.
>>

Are there rules for vans, we got a bit of a mix at work. The new ones that got delivered 6 months ago don't have them I'm pretty sure and they are a new design. I wonder if there was an exemption or similar?
 DRL's - henry k
>>Can you be nicked for using these things?.....

>> Cos you can be for using Fog lights in the wrong circs!

I think the whole fog lights thing is now a mess.
Quite a few cars ( German?) now have a fog light switch on automatically on the appropriate side when turning ( at low speed ?)

My son was stopped in his MB SLK and the copper accused him of switching on his front fog light(s) My son did not but the copper had an attitude! No idea what his agenda was.
Eventually my son went on his way unimpressed with the meeting.

It was only after the event that my son discovered this auto function on the SLK.

So can we assume the old law still exists and loads of drivers os such cars are open to trouble or is there now a turn a blind eye to such features.
 DRL's - MD
Blind eye eh! That's a Cracker.
 DRL's - Zero

>> I think the whole fog lights thing is now a mess.
>> Quite a few cars ( German?) now have a fog light switch on automatically on
>> the appropriate side when turning ( at low speed ?)

They are not "fog lights" they are "cornering lights" They are only "fog lights" when both of them are on.

>> So can we assume the old law still exists and loads of drivers os such
>> cars are open to trouble or is there now a turn a blind eye to
>> such features.

There is now a complete disconnect between the UK construction and use regulations, and the EU type approvals.
 DRL's - rtj70
>> There is now a complete disconnect between the UK construction and use regulations, and the EU type approvals.

Like Xenons/HID lights. Goodness knows the official stance on LED lights in the UK.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 29 Jan 15 at 22:49
 DRL's - henry k
>> >> There is now a complete disconnect between the UK construction and use regulations, and
>> the EU type approvals.
>>
>> Like Xenons/HID lights. Goodness knows the official stance on LED lights in the UK.
>>
Jaguar X type dip beams are really awful. Many owners fit HIDs the UK forum has loads of threads about fitting them etc. and to date there are no reports of MoT failures. Obviously they have no self leveling but so long as the beams are not lighting the sky a MoT pass seems a given.
 DRL's - VxFan
>> Jaguar X type dip beams are really awful. Many owners fit HIDs the UK forum
>> has loads of threads about fitting them etc. and to date there are no reports
>> of MoT failures.

Ditto the facelift Vectra. Standard dip beams are like candles.

>> Obviously they have no self leveling but so long as the beams are not lighting the sky a MoT pass seems a given.

They'll also fail an MOT if headlight washers and auto beam adjusters are fitted but not working. However an MOT tester cannot fail the washers and auto beam adjusters if they're not fitted. Some cars a few years ago came with HIDs fitted as standard but without the washers and adjusters. Unless a full and comprehensive list is given to the MOT testers of what cars had HIDs but no washers or adjusters, it would be a nightmare to try and enforce it. So they err on the side of caution and will only fail HIDs if the beam pattern is scattered (usual cause is boy racers fitting them to non projector style headlights), the light output is too blue, or they're not aligned properly.
 DRL's - henry k
>>, it would be a nightmare to try and enforce it
>>
The following do not need a database

From the Jaguar forums, a frequent question " Is my car fitted with HIDs?"
Do you have a little knob on the dash to adjust the headlight height ? Yes = no OE HIDs
When you switch your headlights on do they point downwards and then rise up to normal setting ? No = No factory fitted HIDs but may have an Ebay kit fitted
Yes = OE fitted.

In addition, I wonder if they test the headlamp washers on my X type ?
IIRC , having switched on the lights ( dip/head ?) every six times the windscreen washers are used the headlamp washers are auto activated.

I still smile when my AWD is brake tested. No rolling road but a quick blast outside and a Tapley meter.

DRL's - VxFan
>> The following do not need a database
>>
>> From the Jaguar forums, a frequent question " Is my car fitted with HIDs?"
>> Do you have a little knob on the dash to adjust the headlight height ?
>> Yes = no OE HIDs

I once had to show an MOT tester how to turn on my rear fog lights - he thought they came on with just side lights being on. No mate, they'll only come on with side lights if the front fogs are switched on first. Otherwise you'll need to put the dipped beams on as well.

So do you honestly think an MOT tester would look for a manual beam adjuster on the dash?

DRL's - Auristocrat
Daytime Running Lights became compulsory for all vehicles which had new Type Approval after February 2011, and became compulsory for ALL new vehicles registered after November 2014.
 DRL's - BobbyG
I think the Seat Leons LED DRLs are very cool!!!
 DRL's - Zero
>> I think the Seat Leons LED DRLs are very cool!!!

The Seat Leon is a cracking car all round.
 DRL's - rtj70
I agree about the Leon. The Fr 184 was a nice drive. I decided an A3 was nicer :-) Especially the inside.

The 'free' tech pack for LED lights on the Leon was something I was not sure of seeing demo videos online. Not enough LEDs either. I think HID is better for now.
 DRL's - mikeyb
>> I agree about the Leon. The Fr 184 was a nice drive. I decided an
>> A3 was nicer :-) Especially the inside.
>>
>> The 'free' tech pack for LED lights on the Leon was something I was not
>> sure of seeing demo videos online. Not enough LEDs either. I think HID is better
>> for now.
>>

FIL bought the FR at launch - loves it, and raves about the LED lights
 DRL's - rtj70
Other implementations of all LED headlights appear to have more LEDs to offer more variability over what is illuminated.

After seeing how they appeared to work on the Leon FR in a YoutTube video I decided I wouldn't get them on the A3.
 DRL's - BobbyG
>>After seeing how they appeared to work on the Leon FR in a YoutTube video I decided I wouldn't get them on the A3

Pray tell??
 DRL's - rtj70
It was simply how the various (not many on the Leon) LEDs came on and off. It was the on-off-on thing that bothered me.

Granted some light was going forward from some LEDs, some slightly left/right etc. Variable all the time as in on/off.

I only have the adaptive Xenon headlights so does not do the infinitely adaptable full beam to main beam because the dependent option was expensive (needs a camera forward facing basically). But it is probably pretty much like other cars* with adaptive forward lighting. Varies the beam pattern based on speed and location - uses sat nav for location.

* My Passat CC had adaptive lighting but I think it only did bend lighting. The A3 I thought locally was poor for lighting ahead but great for near lighting..... it adapts to speed of course. If you turn it off in the menus then local driving has better distant illuminance I guess but not so good on local roads or junctions.

DRL's - BobbyG
The Seat Leon is a cracking car all round.

Indeed - the 2.0TDI 5 door with £30 road tax, 60mpg and 8 secs 0-60 really is up there as one of the top choices for my next car.

Only wish more cars had retractable parcel shelfs rather than fixed ones for those of us that carry big dogs regularly!!
 DRL's - rtj70
The dog would fit in the boot of my A3 nicely :-) I think road tax is £20, real MPG similar and so is 0-60mph.

The same 150PS 1.4T Cylinder on Demand petrol is available in the Leon FR. I'll let you know how MPG overall goes.

So far the average isn't near the 60+mpg figure. It is closer to 41mpg. But I've not done more than 4 long runs. Around town it's similar to the 170PS Passat. The best I got in the Passat was 47mpg. Over three years the average for me was 43mpg.
 DRL's - BobbyG
Yeah it would fit in the Leon as well but would need to remove the parcel shelf each time.
Is your boot same as Leon in that it is quite a high lip?
 DRL's - Zero
>> Yeah it would fit in the Leon as well but would need to remove the
>> parcel shelf each time.
>> Is your boot same as Leon in that it is quite a high lip?

We are not talking Leon 5 dr here, we are talking Leon ST

www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/models/leon-st/discover.html

The lad had one for a while, I had a drive. Its a fantastic piece of perfect dog carrying kit.
 DRL's - BobbyG
Ah the ST is huge though - am sure its longer than my Altea XL

I am not quite old enough to have an estate/ST yet.......
 DRL's - Zero
>> Ah the ST is huge though - am sure its longer than my Altea XL

Bit it doesn't feel huge, certainly doesn't drive huge - Its not that big.

>> I am not quite old enough to have an estate/ST yet.......

But you had the Altea! Anyway, its a sports tourer not an estate.
 DRL's - BobbyG
Just checked the length - its midway between the Altea and Altea XL

Actually looks very nice in ST form - I liked the Exeo ST better than the saloon version.
 DRL's - rtj70
>>Is your boot same as Leon in that it is quite a high lip?

I was slightly ironic because mine is a saloon :-)

But seriously I know of a few A3 Sportback owners with bogs so assume the lip is not so high.
 DRL's - rtj70
I quite like the look of my DLR lights. Not too bright (I think):

www.eurocarnews.com/media/pictorials/2345/14399-web.jpg

Okay mine are not the LED variety but the DLR strip is the same.
 DRL's - Rick O'Shea
Jeremy Clarkson had it right when he said about (an Audi I think) that it looked like a council house at xmas!
 DRL's - Cliff Pope
All this modern stuff is over my head. I can cope with traditional Volvo driving lights ("sidelights on all the time"), and on the two older cars if it's a bit gloomy but not headlight-worthy then I turn on the sidelights.
I can't see the need for anything more. "DRLs" at the back would make sense though.

The main problem apart from over-bright lights is the almost universal failure to replace blown bulbs or adjust the beams properly.

DRL's - Old Navy
Its all about being seen, you can't complain if someone drives into you in murky conditions and you have not got your lights on. Side lights are misnamed parking lights. Remember their are lots of drivers with poor eyesight.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Jan 15 at 09:18
 DRL's - Cliff Pope
>> Its all about being seen, you can't complain if someone drives into you in murky
>> conditions and you have not got your lights on. Side lights are misnamed parking lights.
>> Remember their are lots of drivers with poor eyesight.
>>

I agree. So in murky weather it makes sense to turn on front DRLs if not automatic, and tail lights if not automatically part of the DRL operation.

Or of course if really murky, headlights and therefore tailtights automatically, and perhaps rear foglights if murky enough.

The emphasis on having lots of lights at the front seems to ignore theequally important requirement for adequate illumination at the back, and also the fact that more and brighter lights render less-well or non-illuminated objects less visible.
 DRL's - Oldgit
What I cannot fathom out is that in our country that is so regulated with what motor manufacutrers can and cannot do, that they allow so many variants on LED implementation.
The designs, positioning, brightness etc. is all over the place and is merely at the whim of the designers, it seems.
My current car, a Golf, has just an additional Halogen bulb for its DRLS, which I am quite happy with but it seems that unless your car doens't look like it has been strung up with LED lights looking like Christmas tree ones, it is just not on.
Many new cars, I see now look just plain ridiculous to me. At least my bulb doesn't blind but many LED ones do and can seemingly be any size or length or pattern which is absurd.
 DRL's - R.P.
The DRLs on the Volvo are the lights of last resort - when the light switch is in the off position they fire up. Leaving the lights in auto-mode (which is what I've done on most of my recent cars) - means that the irritating computer puts the main-beam/dip into auto mode...which is irritating, although the dealers have downloaded a software fix to stop its over-sensitivity...in manual mode all the lights go on and stay on until you leave the car, you're allowed to dip your own lights ! Disturbingly when the LEDs are on alone at the front there are no lights at all at the back - which is stupid, especially in a Volvo !
 DRL's - Old Navy
>> What I cannot fathom out is that in our country that is so regulated with
>> what motor manufacutrers can and cannot do, that they allow so many variants on LED
>> implementation.
>> The designs, positioning, brightness etc. is all over the place and is merely at the
>> whim of the designers, it seems.

There are a multitude of DRL regulations. Minimum and maximum distance from the ground, maximum distance from the side of the vehicle, minimum distance apart, minimum distance from the indicator lens, and brilliance are the ones I found with a google search.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Jan 15 at 14:10
 DRL's - Crankcase
>> Its all about being seen, you can't complain if someone drives into you in murky
>> conditions and you have not got your lights on.

Unless, of course, you are on a bicycle, apparently.
 DRL's - Boxsterboy
I am seeing more and more cars driving at night without lights on. Bright DRLs seem to give some mimsers enough light to drive by. Coupled with always-on dashboard lights, and they think their lights ARE on.
 DRL's - CGNorwich
All the more reason just to leave the lights on automatic. Problem solved.
 DRL's - Dave
I think the manufacturers are missing a treat. They could arrange the led's so they resemble the manufacturers logo. For example, a small VW logo in each headlight.
 DRL's - Old Navy
The problem with illuminated logos is you rapidly get into tacky territory. I would be surprised if the manufacturers had not thought of it. I would not like to drive around in a car lit up like a Las Vegas casino. My LED rear lights are bad enough. My brake pedal floodlights the car behind as it is. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Jan 15 at 15:24
 DRL's - Slidingpillar
While DRLs do increase the visibility of large, heavy, wheeled contrivances, they do so at the expense of things that don't have them. Like trees, pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders etc.

Observation would suggest there is no general standard, or if there is, it's poorly drafted as only a small number of DRL equipped vehicles are more noticeable without dominating the view to the expense of non DRL stuff.

I must admit I've been thinking of replacing the sidelights with bright LEDs in the vintage car, but from reading around, a LED in the headlamp enclosure has a short life owing to the heat generated by the headlight bulbs. So I've not tried then yet.
 DRL's - Zero
>> I think the manufacturers are missing a treat. They could arrange the led's so they
>> resemble the manufacturers logo.

Already done. The Chevrolet Cruze saloon has Chevrolet logos for rear lights.
 DRL's - BobbyG
There seems to be a fashion amongst the boy racers fraternity to replace their number plate bulbs with super bright LEDS.

I struggle to think of any reason why you would want to make sure that your number plate was super bright!
 DRL's - R.P.
A motorcyclist's view : The roads have now become cluttered with lights of all shape and sizes - even on the brightest days. Bikes are now perfectly camouflaged by the four wheeler brigade....perfectly camouflaged...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights
 DRL's - Manatee
>> All the more reason just to leave the lights on automatic. Problem solved.
>>

Not really. Lots of people presumably with auto lights driving around invisibly in falling snow on Thursday, more than I have seen for a long time.
 DRL's - Duncan
>> Not really. Lots of people presumably with auto lights driving around invisibly in falling snow
>> on Thursday, more than I have seen for a long time.

I can use the auto function on my LEC. The handbook specifically warns caution in snow and fog conditions.
 DRL's - Manatee
Not having a dig at people with auto lights, my car has them although I wish it didn't. The rotary switch positions are OFF AUTO PARK HEAD so using them manually means going through auto, so manual use often means an unnecessary firing of the headlights.

That's the only reason I use auto, but in the winter there is a lot of overriding. I find I can reduce that by upping the sensitivity and they then tend to come on in murky weather, but of course you then have to watch that they don't go off...instead of just switching them on and concentrating on something else.

I honestly think they should be illegal unless they can respond to visibility, not just light level, I.e. work properly.
 DRL's - CGNorwich
A fair point - switch to manual in these conditions, but in normal visibility conditions automatic copes just fine, better than a driver does.
 DRL's - henry k
I have never selected the auto function.
I do not want my lights flashing on and the risk of others misinterpreting me giving way.
 DRL's - CGNorwich
Not really likely though is it? Far more of a problem is drivers failing to switch on lights in low light conditions which automatic sensing avoids. Should be compulsory on all cars.

DRL's - Manatee
>> Not really likely though is it? Far more of a problem is drivers failing to
>> switch on lights in low light conditions which automatic sensing avoids. Should be compulsory on
>> all cars.

Interesting. You think they should be compulsory, I think they should be illegal, as they invite drivers to relay on something that doesn't work...there are many occasions when light is good but visibility poor.

If you want a "failsafe" for darkness, an irritating bong would do the job, as used for seat belts - as far as I know, there is no clamour for automatic strapping in.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 31 Jan 15 at 20:19
 DRL's - CGNorwich
There are even more occasions when people fail to switch on their lights in poor lightlights as any drive around dusk will reveal. Automatic lights are capable of being overriden in foggy conditions. There is no downside to automatic lights. it's win win.
 DRL's - No FM2R
>>You think they should be compulsory, I think they should be illegal

And even more interestingly you both want more regulation [as if we don't have enough already], I'd prefer people just got over themselves and tried a bit of live and let live.
 DRL's - Old Navy
Has anyone here had a problem because their lights have automatically switched on? I haven't and have had them in use for many years on my last four cars. They certainly don't flash, the software that controls them has a delay built in so rapid changes of light levels do not switch them. As I said earlier I have increased the sensitivity of mine.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 31 Jan 15 at 11:02
 DRL's - Zero
>> I have never selected the auto function.
>> I do not want my lights flashing on and the risk of others misinterpreting me
>> giving way.
>
They don't "flash" auto lights come on, and there is an inbuilt delay before they go off again, deliberately designed so they don't "flash"

Lights that do flash are light levelling HIDs, going over bumps the damn things appear to be flashing from low beam to high beam.

Ban them instead.
 DRL's - Fursty Ferret
>> >> I have never selected the auto function.
>> >> I do not want my lights flashing on and the risk of others misinterpreting
>> me
>> >> giving way.
>> >

Could be he means automatic high beam? Mine works well, although interestingly it refuses point-blank to dip for an oncoming car that has a single light out (so one side on sidelight only). Weirdly, it dips as expected for motorcycles, and for that matter everything else.

I don't particularly care about dazzling someone who can't be bothered to check their lights so tend to leave it to do its own thing.
 DRL's - R.P.
Better than Volvo's software....it even dips at reflective signs...dippy thing.
 DRL's - rtj70
On the A3 I have adaptive lighting. So not only does it turn the lights with the wheel but varies the beam. No different to other cars.

If you want the infinitely variable lighting that's cheap if you have one of the other options that gives you a front facing camera. It can then vary main/full beam depending on traffic. So it's not full beam on or not.... far more subtle.
 DRL's - Zero
>> On the A3 I have adaptive lighting.

Well thats fine if you want to go to Portsmouth, but what about if you want to drive to Bristol at night? I guess Dover is out as well.
 DRL's - rtj70
I guess for other A roads it should be turned off ;-)
Latest Forum Posts