Motoring Discussion > Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 19

Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Bigtee
Well were all off 5x blokes all camping out under the stars & with lots of Beer and food for 3x nights camping, Off down friday morning to be there for about 10-11ish.

Besides the obvious what else is there at Silverstone to do? is there plenty of trade stalls? i know there is a beer tent but what else is there?

Can we go to the local town anything to do locally or just get drunk on the camp site all good to me?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 13:47
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Bromptonaut
Silverstone village has pubs and a couple of shops. Nearest town is Towcester where you'll find Tesco, Waitrose and Co-op supermarkets pluse plenty more pubs restaurants. Check the road and travel restrictions though there's a tidal flow system on the A43 for arrival departure phases and residents passes are required to get a car near Silverstone village.

I shall be cycling over to watch the red arrows (from nearby high ground at Handley Barn) then into village to visit the Mother out law who's in a care home there. All weather permitting.
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Bromptonaut
Could we keep this thread on who's going and how to get there amd leave it to run on it's own?.

That way it's easy to track requests for local knowledge or opportunities for lift shares etc

Comments about the odds, runners and riders are better off in the running F1 thread.
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Iffy
I've been to a couple of Grand Prix and my brother was a regular until a few years ago.

In the 1980s there were lots of trade stalls, freebies, marketing promotions and the like.

Several of the major teams had their own sponsored and branded area, with a souvenir trailer and a small exhibition about the team.

Ferrari was the best, everything from a key ring to an engine block coffee table.

I recall bonny lasses in short skirts wandering around giving away cigarettes.

These days, brother tells me, you'll be lucky to get a paper hat.

Still, there's always the motor racing to fall back on.

Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - DP
>> I recall bonny lasses in short skirts wandering around giving away cigarettes.

Sounds fantastic, and worth the ticket price on its own. Damn this new fangled political correctness! ;-)
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Boxsterboy
>> In the 1980s there were lots of trade stalls, freebies, marketing promotions and the like.
>> I recall bonny lasses in short skirts wandering around giving away cigarettes.
>>

The last time I went was the 1980s - Spa a couple of times, as well as Silverstone/Brands, and yes I doubt they have the fag dollies wandering around any more.

It's just way too expensive these days (although I did promise I would take my two boys one day. One day ...)
...It's just way too expensive these days (although I did promise I would take my two boys one day. One day ...)...

I was offered a couple of tickets for Copse this year - face value £250 each - plus a car parking pass at £50.

No thanks, although I understand it's sold out.

It's difficult to compare prices over the years, but I think it was under £30 in the mid-1980s.

And no more ciggy dollies - sounds like something from another era - suppose 25 years ago was another era.
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - rtj70
But Scuderia Ferrari are still part owned by Marlboro and they still carry their sponsorship in most races (the old bar code).
I'd rather look at the dollies than a bar code. :)

It's a fair point, though.

The Grands Prix I went to were awash with tobacco company money.
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - rtj70
I got given a toy F1 car by my dad when I was a child. It was a John Player covered one - he smoked them. Those without any filters etc. They killed him though. But he did like cars. We had a rust coloured Audi at one point (orangey colour not rust) :-)

farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2797253747_3fb371f4b0.jpg

So Lotus I think? But he died in 1980.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 22:41
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Bigtee
November last year this ticket was £156.00 for 3 days checked it the other month almost double that, why it's a car race thats it really im not into F1 rallying is more my cup of tea but it makes a change you never know just may love it!!
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Dave_
I'm going to the Silverstone Classic in a fortnight.

www.silverstoneclassic.com/

Seems to be improving every year, let's see if it's good enough to rival the Goodwood Revival in September...

EDIT: re bathtub's post below - my dad's paying for the tickets, and it'll be the first time I've had all 3 of my children together in over a year; otherwise I'd go for that ;-)

EDIT EDIT: iffy, I went to the F1 practice Saturday two years ago (dad's work bough him 2x weekend passes for his 60th, I had a christening to attend on the Sunday) - well worth it, definitely something to experience once in a lifetime...
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 23:28
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - bathtub tom
>>although I did promise I would take my two boys one day.

I'd suggest taking them to a much lower level event first, or even joining a local motor club and going to watch or marshall.

I've an opportunity to marshall at the Silverstone classic at the end of July (I've no formal marshall training, so I guess I'll be out in the car park), but this gives me access to a free, three-day pass for the event.

Try this link for stuff near you:
www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - DP
For the chance to see and hear an F1 car up close and personal, which I agree is an amazing experience, the Goodwood Festival of Speed is probably better than an F1 race. We were even treated to a near perfect rendition of "God Save the Queen" by the Renault F1 team a few years back using one of their F1 engines, a laptop, and some clever programming of the electronic throttle.

We took a friend's 9 yr old son to the F1 a couple of years ago. After the initial excitement of seeing and hearing the cars, he got bored. Frankly so did we. It's very poor value for money IMHO. Too far from the action, drivers who seem distant both physically and emotionally from the crowd, and not enough overtaking on track.

If you have the opportunity, the DTM round at Brands is well worth the price of admission. The noise is sensational, the racing close, and the support races usually very entertaining.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 7 Jul 10 at 08:51
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - VxFan
>> For the chance to see and hear an F1 car up close and personal,

Far better being right next to a Top Fuel Dragster at Santapod when they fire it up in the pits. When they blip the throttle it makes you jump backwards.
 Who's off to Silverstone this weekend? - Redviper
>> I'd suggest taking them to a much lower level event first, or even joining a
>> local motor club and going to watch or marshall.
>>
>> I've an opportunity to marshall at the Silverstone classic at the end of July (I've
>> no formal marshall training, so I guess I'll be out in the car park), but
>> this gives me access to a free, three-day pass for the event.
>>

I have started marshalling for my local club (Croft (Darlington and District Motor Club) I absoultly love it, Im still a trainee but im going to Cadwell Park for the 1st time to marshall there at the end of the month.

Marhsalling at the recent BTCC event was out of this world. im not going to silverstone classic though due to other commitments and AFAIK I cannot marshall at a GP until I have more experience under my belt.

I dont think you will be in a car park, as I was worried at when i 1st joined as crowd control wasnt what I wanted to do, and I havent as they have other dedicated volunteers for that.
 Warming up for the weekend - Pat
At the risk of raining on your parade, can I just ask you all to spare a thought for the many, many lorry drivers who will be sitting in endless traffic jams, with the tach ticking away because the A46 is closed.
It happened last year and was absolute chaos for us all.

But you've got brilliant weather for it:)

Pat

Just doing my Hyacinth Bucket imitation and thought this one was more appropriate here
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Jul 10 at 10:34
 Warming up for the weekend - Golf_Paul
Pat - was that meant to refer to the A43?

Anyway, to all those who are going, or those who will be watching at home, hope it's a good one.

Warming up for the weekend - Bromptonaut
>> Pat - was that meant to refer to the A43?

I think it must. The GP provides a massive boost to local income but it's a PITA if you need to use the A43 or visit a relative in Silverstone village over the W/E.
 Warming up for the weekend - Pat
Sorry my mistake, of course it was meant to be A43.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts