Motoring Discussion > One Land Rover that survived - just! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

One Land Rover that survived - just! - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-31117109
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - madf
Silly fine. The costs of stopping the train would have been more than the fine.

Should be of the eye watering size like £25k pour encourager les autres.
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - Old Navy
I think that anyone who is involved in a level crossing indecent should get a lengthy driving ban. They are obviously incompetent drivers.
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - WillDeBeest
...anyone who is involved in a level crossing indecent...

I don't know, ON. It takes a certain courage to flash at an oncoming train, don't you think?
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - Old Navy
>> ...anyone who is involved in a level crossing indecent...
>>
>> I don't know, ON. It takes a certain courage to flash at an oncoming train,
>> don't you think?
>>

I must have a deviant spell checker, or fingers. :)
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - WillDeBeest
I must have a deviant spell checker, or fingers.

I hope you were more careful on the sub, ON.

"Sorry, Commander, that was meant to be 'time for LUNCH'."
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - BiggerBadderDave
"PC Phil James of British Transport Police said Pete Burns's actions were reckless and dangerous."

Clearly the same guy, look what the train did to his face.

tinyurl.com/65aq5ow
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - IJWS14
The costs of taking the train out of service, inspecting it, and repairing any damage will make the insurance companies eyes water.

Should be a very lengthy ban

what could have happened

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Heck_rail_crash
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Fri 6 Feb 15 at 07:54
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - Zero

>> what could have happened

err, no. Using the great heck as an example of possible outcome is pretty wide of the mark. The circumstances were not the same, This was not a double track railway, there could have been no very crowded IC225 running at over the ton, and certainly no freight train coming the other way to hit the wreckage.

But sure - I take your point, with over dramatising it, someone could have been killed, and it was a dangerous piece of driving, but over what looks like a dangerous crossing. I assume it was a "user worked crossing" with a signal telephone to obtain permission to cross from the signalman, which the driver failed to do.

There are thousands of user worked crossings in the UK, farming and forestry would come to a shuddering halt without them and there are several crossing incidences (strikes or near misses) a year.

One Land Rover that survived - just! - Bromptonaut
Like Zeddo I assume it's a user worked crossing. Even if it lacks lights or a phone link to signaller the user should be aware of need to Stop, Look and Listen.

Surprised there's no Rail Accident report on it but no sign of incident in either published reports or investigations in progress.
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - Zero

>> Surprised there's no Rail Accident report on it but no sign of incident in either
>> published reports or investigations in progress.

Indeed. Its known for the RAIB to hold final reports pending the outcome of any legal process, (As in the guard - manslaughter case), but there is usually always an investigation in progress report.

One Land Rover that survived - just! - Bromptonaut
>> Indeed. Its known for the RAIB to hold final reports pending the outcome of any
>> legal process, (As in the guard - manslaughter case), but there is usually always an
>> investigation in progress report.

The AAIB has tightened its focus considerably in recent years. All except most serious accidents now appear in the monthly bulletin rather than as full reports. A light a/c which came down in a field near the Grand Union, killing the pilot (sole occupant), was not subject to a full report.

RAIB must be under pressure to do same. User crossing cases might usefully be subject of a thematic report but as you say there's no easy answer because there are so many accessing fields, factories, water works etc.
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - Ted

I sat in the car at Goswick Sands in Northumberland and watched the trains on the ECML flashing over an occupation crossing which was being used at the time by a farmer.

He was happily trundling back and forth with his tractor moving hay bales...his dog running alongside. There were barriers but they didn't come down at all even though GNER IC125s were passing at regular intervals. I timed them roughly at about 95 mph.

The only protection was two lights on a post, red or green......and fairly small. Gave the old nipsy a frisson of anticipation when I eventually crossed over !
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - Mapmaker
A lengthy ban? I think a month in jail too.
 One Land Rover that survived - just! - madf
No NO jail costs US money.. He should be fined the costs of the disruption plus another 100% penalty.. pour encourager les autres.

And if he has to sell everything to meet the fine: tough.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 9 Feb 15 at 16:28
Latest Forum Posts